Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale - Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel AleKentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale

good

Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co. visit their website
Kentucky, United States

English Strong Ale |  8.19% ABV

Beer added by: SheepNutz on 07-13-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 556 | Hads: 2,516
4.74/5  rDev +30.2%

Being both a beer and bourbon drinker this is the perfect marriage. Living in the hometown of this brew I can get it most places one would find good beer. The ability to get it on tap while touring the brewery is an experince I extend to anyone in Lexington, its free and its cold!
The appearance of this beer is a reddish gold color with a thin but lively head. The smell should be a perfume. Beautiful sweet bourbon with a mild sent of hops. The taste is amazing. Very bold with an immediate taste of good quality bourbon and a slight but enjoyable beer finish. The mouth feel is rich but not thick and tingles the tougue with the hint of whiskey it embodies. Drinkability is dangerous as this "beer" can take you more like a whiskey and more than a couple can fog the mind of the most avid beer drinker (trust me). If you can get this its a must try, especially those who enjoy a good quality Kentucky bourbon on occasion. Possible derby beer methinks? (957 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +30.2%

I used to live in Lexington, and I love drinking this beer. Being that Lexington is in the heart of bourbon country, there couldn't be a more fitting beer for the region (I think the beer is aged in casks from Woodford Reserve and Maker's Mark).

Be careful and don't drink too much! It is 8.2% ABV. Much like bourbon, it is best to sip on.

It has a very sweet taste, much like the bourbons that it takes its flavors from. It makes for a good "dessert" beer. If I had one complaint, I would say that sometimes the bourbon overpowers the beer. You can definitely taste when you have a Woodford batch for sure.

For a bourbon-based ale, this is the best. All of the others are weak imitations in comparison.

I prefer it best in a bottle. (737 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +29.7%

Come on Guys, Mouth feel...Really! Its a beer. No... I'm not a yellow fizzy beer idiot. I'm just a guy who LOVES good beer. Beers are either good or bad. Only by personal taste. This one however...Wow , If you like the taste of vanilla extract. This is the beer for you!!! Try this stuff is AMAZING. You Cant go wrong here. Try IT!!! Write your one review. (356 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +26.9%

A- Bright amber color, clear, one finger thick fluffy head that faded quickly, lots and lots of bubbles rising throughout

S- Bourbon, vanilla, oak, malty, strong auroma of alcohol

T- Kentucky bourbon whiskey, oak, pale malts, vanilla, light hops flavor

M- Medium body, medium carbonation, smooth, flavorful, slight warming of alcohol, dry finish

D- Definitely worth trying

If you like bourbon whiskey as much as I do... then you really need to try this one. It's amazing the amount of flavor from the bourbon barrel that comes out in this brew. (549 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'm a bit surprised at the so-so reviews of this beer. IMHO it's one of the best American beers I've tasted in a long time. Most beers classified as "Bourbon" usually come off as Chocolate mouth-bombs. Yeah, melted & fermented cocoa nightmares. What's so lovely about this one is that it hints at the cocoa but also has a subtle oak and vanilla flavor. Taste is complex and only becomes understandable after subsequent tastings. 9% alcohol is barely perceivable and there's little carbonation which is KBB's only weakness.

In parting, KBB is the best American brew I've tasted in years. There's a revolution going on here and I'm glad I'm along for the ride. (659 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful dark Amber color, with a strong bourbon smell and taste and light after taste. Enjoyable on occasion but not an every day beer despite the lightness of its feel (170 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is a delicious brew. I am a big fan of bourbon and the taste is excellent. This a beer that you want to take your time and enjoy its rich flavor. I stumbled upon it and will most likely be drinking it again. You do not need to be a big fan of bourbon to enjoy this beers big flavor. (287 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +24.2%

A- Pours a bronze copper color reminiscent of pennies. Light carbonation with little to no head.

S- Wow fantastic smell! The bourbon really hits you from the start. Vanilla and oak follow with a fair amount of prominence.

T- Really complex and delicious flavors. The mixture of bourbon and vanilla make for a very smooth drink. Alcohol is present but is not overbearing.

M- Carbonation is light but balances well. An almost silky feel that makes you want to swish it around in your mouth for awhile.

D- Definitely one you want to sip on. A great one to drink before bed.

I love bourbon and good beer so this one was perfect for me. Definitely one of my favorites. (668 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +23.9%

Let me start with the fact that I am not a bourbon drinker. However, when I first had this beer, I was hooked, I admit I was hammered and remember saying this beer tasted like "cookie dough". That being saidm there is a great flavor profile with this beer. It is not the best beer in the workd but if you like the hint of bourbon or "cookie dough" this is a damn good beer. (373 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale - Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass (no snifter in my glassware collection as of yet. newb move, yes I'm aware), this brew's got a two finger finely porous off-white head that dissipates rather promptly, not too much lacing, and a medium amber transparent body.

Smells like, you've taken the correct guess, bourbon. Albeit nowhere near as profound as the real deal, this has certainly got the redeeming qualities of a finely made, true Kentucky bourbon. Take it from a guy whose entire father's side is from the state!

The taste here is exactly the same as the aroma described above. Damn tasty, folks. It is very drinkable.

Mouthfeel is lively and crisp.

Overall, a 4.5 for Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale - Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co. I will purchase this beer regularly (885 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

This poured with a light, off-tan head with very low retention, quickly reducing to wisps. The color was a beautiful orangish-amber with NE-quality clarity. The nose was redolent with vanilla and wood. The first sip gave me the same vanilla and wood that I noted on the nose, plus coconut and honey on the tongue. Wow! Mouthfeel was full and creamy. The finish had a slight alcohol burn, but that was fine by me. I am usually not a huge liquor drinker, nor do I routinely stray from the hops, but dang!, this was some good stuff. (529 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

Notes taken on 4/16/11-while in Boston for the weekend.

A- pouted a 10oz drink into a small swifter. A bubbly white head sat on a rich copper ale.

S- velvety malts, bourbon is very strong, oak from the barrels and a warmth of alcohol.

T- Awesome. The bourbon has a chewy, sticky caramel to it. So creamy and rich, buttery.

M- Full, moist beer. As it sat and warmed up, the complexityeas ever changing. Even though I did not know the abv, I could tell it was in the 8-10% range.

O- Enjoyed this a lot. One of the better beers I have ever had. Easily the best Bourbon beer imo. (584 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

Fantastic beer. Had many times on tap and in bottle form before writing this review. You have to want to taste vanilla in your beer to like it. It's buttery smooth and unique -- I wish I had another beer to compare it to but I've found none. There's a magic formula here that will be duplicated ... eventually. (310 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance – Medium amber with a white head that fades to a ring.
Aroma – The aroma is soft and oaky with a definite note of bourbon. Vanilla and toffee show through.
Taste – First taste is toasty with some toffee and vanilla. The oak and bourbon influence come through strong in the middle and carry all the way through.
Finish – Toffee candy with a light bourbon taste. This beer is all bourbon and oak from start to finish. (434 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +23.4%

On Tap at Talbots Inn in Bardstown-Bourbon capital of the World.

Wow, Now I really love bourbon and have always been disappointed in the the "Bourbon Barrel" beers out there, it's like they just showed the the beer the barrel. But not this stuff. One whiff and you know you have the real thing.

Poured a very nice clear medium light amber into a snifter. Off white, fluffy 1/2" head the faded fairly quickly. Nice lingering lacing.

As I said one whiff and you know what you have. A very strong but not overpowering presence of Bourbon, vanilla, carmel, oak tones and slighly woodsy. It reminded me of the Angels share in a Bourbon warehouse.

The aroma was right with the flavor, again the bourbon was present but not overpowering. Maybe just a tad sweet and a little heavy on the tongue. Some heat in the mouth from the high alcohol content. It is most defintely a sipping beer.

We had just finished touring and sampling at 3 Bourbon distilleries, Jim Beam, Heaven Hill and Markers Mark when we hit Talbots for dinner and drinks, A Hot Brown and Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale were the perfect finish to the day!

Overall this one of my favorites. (1,149 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +23.1%

12 oz bottle, first time i poured into a glass and second time i decided it was good from the bottle too.

looks like beer, nothing really special about the appearance.

smells of bourbon, with a little vanilla, like vanilla extract in a way.

tastes of sweet delicious bourbon. very mild ale with sweet bourbon and a slight hint of vanilla extract, i can't stop drinking this, i downed the first one in less than 10 minutes it's so good. but the "ale" part of the beer is purely just the way it is fermented because it is very mild for the 8.1% abv, tastes like a boilermaker. my dad who only drinks coors light, harp, and molsons actually liked this beer.

this beer is really drinkable, if it weren't for the high alcohol i would have no problem pouring the entire 4 pack down me in one sitting (but it takes me a few hours haha) but then you're a little sick.

i would love to have this beer all the time, i think it is worth the $12 for the 4 pack. (953 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +22.8%

Pours from the growler a clear golden amber, vibrant with a bubbly head that fades rather quickly to a ring around the glass. Aromas begin with beautiful bourbon, vanilla, sweet caramel, woody tones and light fruit notes. Very nice, enchanting aroma here.

First sip brings a sweet fruity caramel maltiness. Luscious bourbon flavors dance on the palate. A hefty helping of vanilla and woody tannins show up mid palate. Finishes smooth and slightly sweet. Very well balanced overall, the lingering bourbon barrel notes are great here.

Mouthfeel is smooth and medium bodied. Mellow carbonation works really nice in the overall brew. I could drink a lot of this with no problem. Wonderfully melded flavors and quite refreshing. Goes to show how great barrel aging can be. Many thanks to clvand0 for the opportunity. Word is that this beer is aged in Woodford Reserve barrels as well. (885 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +22.8%

12oz bottle gifted from friends. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/4" white head above the clear golden amber brew. Head is down to a small-bubbled film pretty quick, with average lacing. Aroma is sweet and bourbony. Taste starts with a moderate pale malt sweetness, oak and vanilla come on in the middle, and then fade into the close. Mouthfeel is wow smooth, and drinkability is much too easy. Still liking this brew.

11/30/05 - 4/3.5/4.5/5/5

12oz bottle obtained via trade with kmpitz2. Thanks for the opportunity...

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed 1/4" of off-white head over the clear light copper brew. Head is gone pretty quick, with sparse bubbly lacing, both kind of par for a barrel-aged brew. Aroma is extremely boozy, easily overpowering the malt sweetness found in the Kentucky Ale base brew. Taste is much more balanced than the nose was indicating, with the malt sweetness smoothly fading into the bourbon tinges, with vanilla and wood apparent, but not enough so as to overpower the other flavors. This is one of the smoothest barrel-aged brews I've had, and the drinkability is just as good. I know it's only 7%abv, but with a lighter brew to start, it would take a bit more finesse to not destroy the original beer. This one is great. (1,310 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

First had KBBA on tap at the wedding rehearsal dinner of my daughter and son-in-law three years ago. Only recently realized it's marketed in bottles as well. Pretty strong bourbony aroma and flavor with a kick from a higher alcohol content. Despite it's boldness KBBA goes down pretty smooth with no noticeable aftertaste. I've got a feeling you either really like this sort of thing or you really don't. Count me in! (417 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

An exceptional ale with a considerable oakiness and subdued vanilla note from the bourbon barrel aging but not overpowered and has a nice smooth, creamy mouthfeel. (163 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The first time I tried this beer it was the first that I had tried of this style and it was amazing so naturally I kept getting it every so often. That is what my score of this beer reflects. Recently though, it has gone way downhill. I don't know if they changed the process of brewing or what happened, but the color isn't what it used to be as well as the aroma, but most of all the flavor isn't there at all anymore. I'm actually shocked that more people haven't noticed that this beer has lost it's quality. (513 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I normally only rate the beers I've had and do not write full reviews, but this one was too unique to not log.

Picked out 12 random beers from a local shop to be tried at home. This one was about 20% more expensive than most others but I wasn't sure why. Before trying I looked over the bottle for perhaps an extremely high abv or maybe even a rarer brewery (wasn't even sure who it was made by) but found little information on it.

appearance - medium amber. Cloudier upon first pouring but settled pretty clear. Very frothy and white head. Let settle before finishing pour.

Smell - my thoughts literally went caramel! No butterscotch! No wait toffee! Still not sure which specific aroma it is that's so dominant but its something sweet.

Taste - this is where my evaluation went whoa. Did I just drink a carbonated, low ABV whiskey? It's sweet and smooth, much more so than any Bourbon I'd ever sipped (but not a liquor drinker by any stretch) all the while being entwined in fizzy frenzy of carbonation. Warm alcohol expels briefly after each sip like an exhale after whiskey itself.

Mouth feel - has a soft creaminess to it. Medium to maybe slightly over medium carbonation.

Overall - truly unique. Had (whiskey/bourbon) barrel aged beers before but never one that picked up this much whiskey flavor. Certainly worth trying but couldn't see myself regularly sipping on this one when reaching for a beer. Would go well on a cold night in the mountains around a hunting camp fire. (1,486 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I drank this on draught at Max and Erma's in the Cincinnati airport, Delta concourse. This beer had a very clear light look, it had a great bourbon smell to it. I went in for on and could not leave without having another. The bartender served this fine drink in a schafer glass. (278 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +22%

I really liked this beer got it at the bar down the street. The beer had a very strong vanilla taste, it tasted almost creamy to me which I was just not expecting. I am not one that likes to drink milk but this beer really hit the spot. I got it right after a nice dinner and I was sittin at the bar sipping it and watching the baseball game. (342 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Arrives a clear and bright reddish brown. Minimal, nearly non-existent, head, just a faint ring.
Smell is malty with notes of vanilla, coconut, bourbon, smoke/char and an really well received brown sugar sweetness. Very complex and really well balanced.
Taste is exactly the same: sweet, malty, vanilla, light smoke, bourbon, coconut. Again, very complex and very well balanced.
Smooth, fairly rich, and it only gets better as it warms. The ABV hides well but there is a warming aspect that develops as it warms up stopping short of becoming cloying. I highly recommend this one. (581 characters)

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale from Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.