Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale - Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel AleKentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale

good

Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co. visit their website
Kentucky, United States

English Strong Ale |  8.19% ABV

(Beer added by: SheepNutz on 07-13-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale Alström Bros

4.96/5  rDev +35.1%

4.95/5  rDev +34.9%

All the familiar characteristics of a good bourbon hit me immediately. That oakey and vanilla scent, the copper color. It drinks like the smoothest bourbon you've ever had with that unctuous buttery feel going down. And a hint of residual warmth. Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale is delicious, smooth, and has an aggressive, tricky 8% ABV.

4.92/5  rDev +34.1%

4.92/5  rDev +34.1%

4.88/5  rDev +33%

THis beer blew me away . I got it at Grapes and Grains in Barrington Rhode Island and it was absolutly astounding. I have never had a bourbon Barrel age beer taste so perfect. The vanilla and finish of bourbon flavor is so smooth and elegant but robust at the same time. I have found a new favorite.

4.85/5  rDev +32.2%

I'll start this by saying I'd gladly drink this beer every day for the rest of my life. It brings together everything great about bourbon, the smokiness, vanilla hints, and oak tastes, and combines it effortlessly with a malty, sweet ale, not a dark and brooding porter or stout. This yields the most drinkable attempt of adding bourbon to beer that I've ever tasted.

Appearance - Nothing special, but it does hold a great head, looks great in and out of the bottle, and is reminiscent of bourbon.

Smell - Bourbon and beer--perfect.

Taste - Again, perfectly combines two of the most amazing creations on earth.

Mouthfeel - Crisp, sweet, and sumptuous. No harsh notes of alcohol from the aging in bourbon barrels. Just smooth and wonderful.

- Adam from Tipped Mixology

4.84/5  rDev +31.9%

4.81/5  rDev +31.1%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This was only the 3rd beer that I found that I liked the taste of enough to not need to wash down every sip with another non-beer drink. That aside, I actually like this beer and would drink it daily if it was around and I didn't have to go anywhere.

I like stouts and sort of like porters. I don't like a barley taste, and this had none of that.

I tasted something sweet and savory, almost chocolate in nature. It was nicely fizzy and goes exceptionally well with Pringles Sour Cream and Chives, with a side of LOTR or The Hobbit.

I'm very happy my local ABC carries it and will be very disappointed if I ever go there and it's not an option.

If you're not a big beer drinker because you haven't found one you like, I recommend trying this one.

4.8/5  rDev +30.8%

Appearance is very zesty and fast at first pour with a thick two finger off white head that quickly bubbles away to a loose layer fed by the constant bubbles dancing to the top. This is very active and as exciting to watch as the horse races, it slowly loose its quick carbonation and settle down on the warm up lap. Light bronze in color, clear and consitent looking.
Smells very sweet, almost like a peice of caramel or a bourbon ball at christmas time. Light hint of bourbon that i really enjoy. I love the smell of this beer.
Tastes delicious. Very sweet, the bourbon seeps through ever so gently in each sip. Nice alcohol content that compliments the sweet flavor.
This is an absolutely delightful beer. I really enjoy this by beer. It stands by itself, unique.

4.8/5  rDev +30.8%

poured into pint glass. Great copperish color with a minimial head. Smells like whiskey rather than beer. Taste like a combination of bourbon and beer which I find unique. Went down smooth as beer and with a hint of whiskey. Overall a good beer for those who dare to mix whiskey and beer blends

4.8/5  rDev +30.8%

Poured a light copper color. Smells very sweet. Tastes a lot like Werthers original candy. I am usually not a fan of bourbon but I loved this beer. Well worth $12 for a 4-pack. I would love to try a draft of this. I would not drink this exclusively in a sitting though. 1-2 is good occasionally.

4.78/5  rDev +30.2%

Though I have had this on tap at the brewery's "bier stube," I'm rating this on the bottles I've had. This is a remarkable beer. I know barrel-aging is getting big including aging this or that in bourbon barrels, but for a golden ale from Lexington, this one makes the most sense since the barrels emanate from down the road.

I credit this beer with turning me into a bigger bourbon fan. Rich, vanilla-oak flavors dominate, but you can sip it like a rich beer. The scent hits you first and though it's not very carbonated, it fills the mouth with equal parts beer and bourbon in a symbiotic fashion.

Though you can only drink one of these in a sitting--or at least should--the one bottle will leave you feeling GOOOOD. When the angel's share of the 90 proof bourbon marries out with the 5ish percent ale, what's left is a strong 9 percent beer that is liquid gold and warmth.

Biggest downside: Only available in Kentucky, and when the hell are you gonna be in Kentucky?

4.76/5  rDev +29.7%

4.76/5  rDev +29.7%

4.75/5  rDev +29.4%

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale from Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.