Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale | Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
good

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel AleKentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale

Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.
Kentucky, United States | website

Style: English Strong Ale

Added by SheepNutz on 07-13-2004

Reviews: 604 | Ratings: 2,763
1.9/5  rDev -47.5%

Bottle purchased by shivtim on his drive through Kentucky. We assumed this was one of those MBC "front breweries" but apparantly its not. Pours an uninteresting amber with a slight, wispy head. Smells like grain alcohol, shitty bourbon. Tastes like watered down bourbon, vanilla flavoring and not much else. pretty bland and watery. Medium to thin bodied. Eh.

2.08/5  rDev -42.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

Awful. A weak-flavored (although high-alcohol) light beer with strong bourbon overtones -- maybe they just made a light beer and then poured in the bourbon?

2.17/5  rDev -40.1%

This one starts out good and then divebombs. The appearance is great. A clear amber with a decent fluffy white head. The smell is all wrong. The vanilla overpowers everything and it smells too sweet like candy. There is a hint of bourbon and some malt as well. The taste is the same. The vanilla sweetness is too much. This should be a flavor that hides in the background. The bourbon is there but there is no beer backbone to support the amount of bourbon and vanilla flavor here. This beer seems like it was created in a laboratory, not aged in barrels. The mouthfeel is really thin but syrupy at the same time. This plays into the idea that beer is not big enough to handle the bourbon barrel "aging" at all. Drinkability is low, very low. This one reminds me of my first sip of ST Creme Brulee. The intent and craftmanship were there but somewhere along the line a good idea turned into a bad product.

2.21/5  rDev -39%

12oz bottle poured into a Tulip Glass.

A - Pours a clear orange with a small creamy white head that recedes to a slight swirl of haze.
S - Sweet aromas of caramel malt, butterscotch, vanilla, and bourbon. Fairly one-dimensional, basically smells like Bourbon, which I usually wouldn't complain about.
T - Eww...not too good. Almost reminds me of a big Adjunct Lager that's been haphazardly slapped in a Bourbon barrel. Definitely getting the Bourbon flavors, but other then that there's some sweet malt, corn, and artificial butterscotch flavor. No thanks.
M - Thin and fizzy with too-high carbonation.
O - This got grosser the more I drank it. Perfect example of a Bourbon barrel not being able to fix a crappy beer. This is the kind of barrel-aged beer Budweiser would make.

2.23/5  rDev -38.4%

A. Copper orange in color with just shy of a one finger head.

S. Nothing too killer, a hint of vanilla, medium malt.

Taste. Slight caramel with a small taste of vanilla, not really getting any tones of bourbon?

Mouthfeel. Medium to moderator carbination, slight bite, not writing home about this one.

O. For a year round bourbon barrel I guess its decent, but aging 6 weeks in freshly decanted bourbon barrels I would still expect a little more. I drink a whole hell of a lot of bourbon barrel beers, but this one to me isn't even tasting or resembling one, I would rate this right with Allagash Curieux (bourbon barrel) they both taste like good/decent beers, just don't taste anything like bourbon to me.

2.25/5  rDev -37.8%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a golden yellow color and a clear consistency. There was an inch of foamy head that lasted a fair amount of time. Pretty good lacing.

S: A mild aroma of bourbon and malt, but little else.

T: Tasted of an overabundance of malt, light fruit and some bourbon. There wasn't nearly enough bourbon to make an impact here, but that seems to be the problem with the flavor. It's too thin and unfocused.

M: A fair amount of carbonation with a slick finish. Medium-bodied.

O: This beer is kind of a mess all around. It simply wasn't pushed far enough, therefore it was a thin brew.

2.25/5  rDev -37.8%

Huge smell of oak which was exciting, but that was about it. Has a bright clear copper color. Mouthfeel was medium high carbonation and the taste was bright but odd. The high carbonation hurt the bourbon flavors. Both beers I have tried from this brewer were disappointing. Looked good, smelled good, fell short.

2.25/5  rDev -37.8%

02/27/14 From bottle. Having had the Coffee version from this outfit before, I wasn't expecting much.

I guess I'm spoiled by the likes of Goose Island Bourbon County or Brooklyn Black Ops.

The texture is a bit watery & the coffee flavor tastes forced.

I wouldn't flush it from the bomb shelter stores, but I would question why space was allotted to this particular brew.

2.26/5  rDev -37.6%

Wow.... this is brutal. It's all bourbon. Low carbonation. The aroma is all bourbon. The first sip is nothing but cheap bourbon. It's like they didn't even try. Slightly boozy with a surprisingly dry finish. I will never drink this again.

I don't care for Bourbon or any kind of whiskey so I don't know what I was expecting. This has a very strong, forced bourbon taste. Avoid.

My first ever drain pour.... Unforgettable for all the wrong reasons....

2.31/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2

All in all, I just did not enjoy this beer. I tried, but I failed to enjoy it.
A - The beer does look enticing at first; pours a transparent brown color with a beautiful white, fluffy head that does linger around for quite a while.

S - At first, fairly pleasant and quite prominently representing the bourbon it was brewed in - not much else to the scent. However, I do not know if it was associated with the taste, but the smell progressively got less enjoyable.

T - First sip; "hmm this is not bad, wait -- eh it's alright". And it was downhill from there. I genuinely just did not enjoy the way this beer tastes. As I near the bottom of the glass while I write this review, I am contemplating just dumping the rest down the drain - something I don't think I could ever truly hold my self to doing, being, I mean, it is beer after all. I think I would just rather keep my bourbon and beer separate with this brew.

M - The only saving grace for the beer. Incredibly smooth and drinkable, well maybe more of a sipping beer given the flavor atrocity. Regardless, a truly amazing feeling beer - almost certainly contributed to the barrel aging.

O - If anyone read through all this, I think you get my overall impression...

2.33/5  rDev -35.6%

Appears a pale copper translucent color with a large bright white head, fine bubbled lacing forms evenly as it dwindles and continues the pattern with each sip.

Aroma is straight up oak barrel and vanilla with whiskey just coming out of it's pores. It smells like Hank Williams Jr in the 80s or Tim Mcgraw's new cologne that's out now. When leather, oak, brown sugar and vanilla collide without any cohesion. Big charred oak characteristics, the base beer just seems so lifeless I guess the whiskey barrel aging gives it what's here doesn't really complement the beer like so many other versions of brews that sit in the whiskey soaked oak. There's something very solvent and chemical about the aroma that doesn't even make me want to take my first sip.

Flavor yep there's a reason why I didn't want any part of it, it's like sipping on whiskey without the 80 proof. Whiskey tea we'll call it. Sour mash is evident with vanilla, charred oak and hints of caramel and toffee with some serious booziness for a beer this thin in body. Makes it seem like such a gimmick beer that's only really being brewed for the Kentucky Derby, there's no other audience that is going to take to this beer.

Mouthfeel is thin way to thin for alcohol level and the flavor profile it just doesn't carry it too well, it's like watered down whiskey tea. Booze gives a bit of a burn, but it's really the charred oak flavor bringing out a bit of cinnamon like expressions on the palate. Gag reflux get ready I'll be lucky to make it through 12 oz of this brew.
Drinkability overall when in Rome I guess, like if I was at the Derby bidding and I was really worn out of the official mixed drink of the Alltech F.E.I. than yeah maybe I would have this abomination. I'd rather have brews run through whiskey soaked oak chips in an infuser like Bocktown has been doing for quite some time now.

2.33/5  rDev -35.6%

Golden with a fairly decent head but virtually no lacing from the mostly white foam. Nose was mostly bourbon, not much else peeking through. Tasted pretty nice for a short moment as the hints of vanilla, oak and caramel came across for just the tiniest instant before they dropped out, leaving only a thin remnant of tannins.

2.36/5  rDev -34.8%

full review: wp.me/p5urG4-ga
The appearance of the beer was great, the carbonation bubbles that constantly flowed upward in the orange/amber hue was a delight. The head was a good thick white head with some good lacing. Unfortunately that is where the excitement for me stopped.
I didn’t even finish the beer. I barely got the bourbon aroma out of it. I couldn’t identify the initial taste, but the finish was acidic to me. The palate was watery.

2.39/5  rDev -34%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Real Ale Snifter.

A: Pours a crystal clear amber color. Aggressive pour leads to a 1 finger fast fading white head.

S: BIG Bourbon in the nose. Wood and some vanilla and hints of tannin-y saw dust type of smell.

T: Bourbon is tamed down a little with some sweetness and wood. Not complex and an underwhelming

M: Thin and undercarbonated. Messy finish.

O: Boy this is a beer that's completely all over the place. It's got such a big bourbony nose but falls flat on the flavor. It's thin and watered down and the color is weird.

2.39/5  rDev -34%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Amber to light brown body. I was very excited to try this but honestly I'm not impressed. Smell is pleasant with hints of whiskey and caramel. Taste is surprisingly bland; slight booziness with sweetness from the barrels but other than that, not a huge amount of flavour to speak of; largely malt forward with no hop flavour but there's really not much there from the malt either. A distinct lack of complexity one would hope from a beer like this. Maybe some vanilla, or am I trying to hard to find it? As a sidenote it calls itself barrel aged ale but neglects to mention what kind of ale it was before being aged.

Definitely not worth the price I paid. Did I get a bad bottle? Really not a great beer.

2.41/5  rDev -33.4%

A- Light gold colored beer with a nonexistent head.

S- Biscuity with some caramel, vanilla, nuts, bourbon and coconut.

T- Large biscuit flavor with lots of butter. Hint of vanilla, some caramel nuts, and again coconut.

M- Not too much going on. Medium bodied with a light oily feel.

Overall I would say this is just not my style, though i could tolerate it I did not feel compelled to finish the bottle.

2.45/5  rDev -32.3%

Huge thanks to wisconsinality for another Kentucky brew. Poured into my pint glass the beer is golden amber with about one finger of off white head. Not much head retention no lace.

The aroma is mostly bourbon barrel and sweet malt. That's about all I can pick up. So not real complex but close to style.

The flavor was rather dissapointing. Pretty much bourbon and more bourbon. I got no other flavors. It reminds me of a whiskey and water at the bar.

Thin and watery body. Light carbonation.

Overall nothing special at all. I actually had this on my wants at one time. I'm glad I never pulled the trigger.

2.45/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

a: clear amber body with a fizzy off white head. retention and lacing are poor.

s: some vanilla and oak from the barrel but the bourbon is minimial at best.

t: a little on the sweet side. there is a fruityness to it. again i pick up on the vanilla from the bourbon. the bourbon is short lived, could use more time in the barrel.

m: thin and watery, carbonation is lacking. not much hop presence, dry finish.

o: glad i got to try it for free. not saying it is bad, it's just not what i look for in a barrel aged beer.

2.48/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Nice light brown color with a off white foam head. Smells of a weak bourbon whiskey. Taste of a weak whiskey and water. No beer taste to this at all. Watery feel.
Overpriced for what it is. Wouldn't buy again, might if on sale or free. Not a whiskey drinker, so probably not.

2.5/5  rDev -30.9%

A - pretty amber fine bead cloud white head 3.5

S - bourbon! Sweet and tons of bourbon 3

T - whiskey and a tiny bit of beer. Whiskey flavor overpowers beer completely - 2

M - sharp bourbon sting, with the creamy beer mouthfeel. Confusing. 3

O - interesting but more like a beer cocktail than a beer - 3

2.51/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

A - Pours a medium copper gold color with a one finger deep soapy, white head and medium carbonation.

A - Sweet toffee/caramel malt with bourbon and a hint of light vanilla.

T - Very one dimensional with lots of bourbon mixed in with sweet malt finishing with a sweet bourbon and light vanilla oak finish.

M - Thin medium body.

O - I'd pass on this one next time unfortunately.

2.53/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A; A pale yellow amber.. Low level of white head.

S: Whiskey, bitter like coffee, smells like driving by a distillery, or waking up in a frat house after an all night Jim Beam bender..

T: Sweet at first with a hint of whiskey, The flavors progress to a little more bitter. and it finished with a toasted malt taste.. A very strange brew indeed..

M: Slightly oily, and the flavor takes your mouth on a roller coaster..

D: One off... Don't think I will buy this one again, which is sad.. as whiskey ( And preferably Whisky) is my other drink of choice..

Don't buy a sixer, get a single for a change of pace.

2.53/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured this undated 12 oz. brown bottle into a snifter. This beer is now in regular bottles not the specialty bottle pictured. Pour created a minor head which faded to nothing quickly. The body was a very clear honey color, the color of bourbon. I held up a bottle of Maker's Mark next to my snifter, they were the same color.

Smell was bourbon. Sweet alcohol. Bourbon.

Taste was toned down bourbon. There is a hops presence which strives to balance the sweet bourbon/malt flavors. Sweet finish. This tastes like a cocktail, not a beer.

Mouthfeel was smooth with some alcohol zestiness in the swallow. Body seemed to start out full but near the end it thinned out. This is a sipper, but not one I will seek out again. When I want bourbon I will grab my bottle of Woodford Reserve.

2.55/5  rDev -29.6%

12oz bottle pours a transluscent light copper color. Little off white cream head dies down quick. No lacing, but pretty descent alcohol legs. I was expecting a thicker, fuller beer - but lets see what we have here...

Nose is some sweet malts & seemingly watered down bourbon. Very bourbon dominant here.

A sweet kick up front & bourbon all over the palate. Its not overwhelmingly strong, but its just not good - very one dimensional. In the back end I get a kick of corn, yes - corn, semi sweet & not so tasty. There is a little boozy burn at the back too.

Too thin (4/10) for my taste . In my opinion, this brew needs more complexity (no corn taste please) & a bigger body.

Overall, I really did not enjoy this one. If you like bourbon, you will probably like this beer. But I dont - I prefer beers with a hint of bourbon, not a smack of it to the mouth. I will be giving out the rest of the 4pack unfortunately.

2.55/5  rDev -29.6%

A: Pours a deep golden color with hints of red. A thin white head encircles the edges of the glass with some spotty lacing.

S: Strong aroma of bourbon and that's pretty much it. Notes of vanilla come through along with the strong booziness of bourbon.

T/M: Meh. All you can really taste is bourbon. This typically would not be a problem, but it really just tastes like really watered down bourbon - no real beer character at all except for its medium, slightly carbonated body.

D: I did not really enjoy this to be honest. I don't think this is a good base beer to age in bourbon barrels - pale ale and bourbon don't really mix. It just tastes like someone took a session beer and poured several shots of bourbon into it.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale from Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.