Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale - Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel AleKentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale

good

Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co. visit their website
Kentucky, United States

English Strong Ale |  8.19% ABV

Beer added by: SheepNutz on 07-13-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,487 | Reviews: 612
4.57/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful dark Amber color, with a strong bourbon smell and taste and light after taste. Enjoyable on occasion but not an every day beer despite the lightness of its feel

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale - Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass (no snifter in my glassware collection as of yet. newb move, yes I'm aware), this brew's got a two finger finely porous off-white head that dissipates rather promptly, not too much lacing, and a medium amber transparent body.

Smells like, you've taken the correct guess, bourbon. Albeit nowhere near as profound as the real deal, this has certainly got the redeeming qualities of a finely made, true Kentucky bourbon. Take it from a guy whose entire father's side is from the state!

The taste here is exactly the same as the aroma described above. Damn tasty, folks. It is very drinkable.

Mouthfeel is lively and crisp.

Overall, a 4.5 for Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale - Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co. I will purchase this beer regularly

2.64/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Just because it says Bourbon Barrel doesn't mean it's good

2.39/5  rDev -35.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Amber to light brown body. I was very excited to try this but honestly I'm not impressed. Smell is pleasant with hints of whiskey and caramel. Taste is surprisingly bland; slight booziness with sweetness from the barrels but other than that, not a huge amount of flavour to speak of; largely malt forward with no hop flavour but there's really not much there from the malt either. A distinct lack of complexity one would hope from a beer like this. Maybe some vanilla, or am I trying to hard to find it? As a sidenote it calls itself barrel aged ale but neglects to mention what kind of ale it was before being aged.

Definitely not worth the price I paid. Did I get a bad bottle? Really not a great beer.

2.83/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Probably the worst bourbon barrel beer I have had along with Bluegrass Bourbon Barrel Stout. Bad stuff.

3.08/5  rDev -16.3%

This was a weird beer. It was creamy on the tongue and sweeter than I would have expected. I got little hints of bourbon at first sniff, but afterwards I really only got sweet. And random side note, It was also one of the most carbonated bottles of beer I've ever had. It REALLY wanted out of that bottle.

2.02/5  rDev -45.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

Since when do they make a barrel aged Budweiser? This is just not a very good beer at all.

4.26/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A classic ale with light bourbon aging. Nothing to write home about but an easy drinking ale with some vanilla and caramel notes (from the barrel).

3.09/5  rDev -16%

A - crystal-clear pale amber body with bubbly white head.

S - smoky bourbon musty and sugary

T - subdued bourbon and spices amidst tangy fruits. Flavors are weak and drop off fast

M - medium/light body with moderate/light carbonation.

O - not a beer I'd drink again. Weak flavors and body, not a big fan.

4.89/5  rDev +32.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A great tasting beer. Very enjoyable

4.56/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I actually can't taste a lot of bourbon in this, but the beer is extremely good regardless.

Tasted like a crappy, mass produced lager with no barrel present at all.

2.58/5  rDev -29.9%

If there's a Bba bud light clone... This is it

3.87/5  rDev +5.2%

A mix of my two favorite things. Beer and bourbon. You can taste the the carmel flavor from the ole barrels and it has a wonderful smooth finish which was a pleasant surprise for a bourbon barrel beer.

A wonderful beer with a great taste and aroma.

4.84/5  rDev +31.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I love beer and I love Bourbon. A drink just doesn't get any better then this.

3.63/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

It has potential. Nice bourbon notes but thin in mouthfeel and flavor.

2.7/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Terrible beer, cloudy, no head, no carbonation. I poured it out. Their stout was slightly better.

3.16/5  rDev -14.1%

BOTTLE: Branded pry-off pressure cap. Appealing label design. Brown glass. 12 fl oz.

Reviewed live as a bourbon barrel aged...ale? No specific style is identified on the label. 8.19% ABV. Served cold into a pilsner glass at low altitude in low altitude Austin, Texas. Expectations are above average given the brewery and the description/marketing - which makes it sound good.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: 2 fingers wide. Off-white colour. Okay frothiness. It's not as creamy, full, or thick as it ought to be. Should look softer as well. Retention is above average - about 3 minutes. Leaves no lacing.

BODY: Clear translucent copper of average vibrance. Clean; no yeast particulate or hop sediment is visible.

Appears aptly carbonated. Doesn't look unique or special, but it's generally appealing. Has no stand-out characteristics.

AROMA: Barrel sugars, vanilla, hints of white oak, lovely charred barrel characteristics, English malt character, and marshmallow. Bourbon? I guess...but I wouldn't notice it if I tried this blind. It's got those great vanilla notes, but it never really rings distinct as bourbon per se.

No yeast character, overt alcohol, hops, or off-notes are detectable.

Aromatic intensity is mild.

A pleasant, soft aroma. I'm interested in trying it, but I did hope for more of an overt bourbon character. The base seems underwhelming and unfocused. The oak could be more evocative.

TASTE: Marshmallow, vanilla, English malts, English mild characteristics (including the beginnings of a buttery note), caramel, barrel sugars, a fleeting wisp of white oak, hints of charred wood, some toastiness, and hints of some kind of unrefined sugar - but it isn't piloncillo, brown sugar, or treacle. What's strangely missing is bourbon; I mean it has the hints of oak and it has the vanilla, but it never touches on bourbon at all for me. I can't quite put my finger on why.

Balanced? Sort of. It has a loose cohesion at best, and there are no egregious clashes of flavour, but it's by no means a gestalt whole of a build. I'm not really even sure what style this falls in...it's not even a bourbon ale - as vaguely defined as I find that descriptor - because there's not really much of a bourbon character. It does feel English in character (likely from the yeast) but never commits to toffee or anything beyond the caramel.

Has no obvious hop profile. No yeast character or off-notes come through. It does have some light alcohol warmth.

Overall, I just find it unrefined. It's fairly shallow in terms of depth of flavour. Duration and intensity of flavour are average. Adequately complex and subtle, but it's not world-class in either respect. I do like it in a general sense, but it needs honing. And it has touches of artificial flavoring throughout which bother me.

TEXTURE: Full-bodied, moderately thick, moderately weighty, smooth, wet, and unrefreshing. Slight overcarbonation.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, harsh, rough or scratchy.

Overall, this texture suits the taste decently, but fails to elevate the beer or to accentuate the flavour profile's constituent notes.

OVERALL: It's a drinkable brew, but never touches on the bourbon character it promises...in fact, the marketing and description are so hubristic about Kentucky and bourbon that it makes bourbon's absence more conspicuous. It's frankly rather embarrassing. I'm enjoying it for what it is, but at this price point I couldn't justify a second purchase. Seems like a cash-grab for the bourbon barrel aged niche. I like some of the English leanings, but this just never feels like a focused or deliberate brew to me, and the balance needs dialing in. Moreover, if you want to run with the big dogs in the bourbon barrel aged category (regardless of style), you've got to bring more to the table in terms of intricacy and subtlety of flavour. This is largely a let-down, and needs work. I can't see this ever becoming a world-class brew no matter how much fine-tuning they do; it'd need a whole new recipe. I guess I'm glad I tried it once, but it's not the best beer I've had from this brewery, and I wouldn't recommend it to friends or trade partners.

The barrel char is the stand-out note.

Apparently, this is aged for "up to" 6 weeks in bourbon barrels...um, for starters 6 weeks just ain't enough. But "up to" suggests some batches (if not most) are aged in bourbon barrels for less than 6 weeks. That's a nice way to increase profits and bolster marketing potential, but it doesn't strike me as honest - or maybe honest isn't the word, because they are disclosing this info (just not on the bottles themselves). I guess the word I'm looking for is "cheap" or perhaps more appropriately "pathetic." Why not just throw it in bourbon barrels for one day? Hell, technically it'd still be "aged." I'd like to see the brewers behind this grab their balls, gain some fucking integrity, and start genuinely committing to their craft; there's clearly potential here.

C+

2.65/5  rDev -28%

I did not like this one at all.
Smoke is way too overpowering.

3.73/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Look is kinda unappealing, like what I imagine bourbon tinted Budweiser would look like

Smell is pleasant: hints of Apple juice, honey, club soda, and whiskey. It doesn't smell like beer at all though...

Taste is pleasant, but lacks the malt depth of a great beer. Tastes like medium grade scotch or whiskey mixed with light beer. Good but not great.

Mouthfeel is overall pleasant. No complaints.

Overall pretty mediocre, but surprisingly good considering the price. I was expecting much worse considering the rating for this beer

1.58/5  rDev -57.1%

I taste absolutely zero bourbon notes in this brew. I honestly don't know how they get away with calling this bourbon barrel ale.

3.54/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Burnt amber look with light carbonated head.

Strong bourbon smell to this one. Very light vanilla smell.

Mostly bourbon flavor, but it's not too strong, with a light smokey vanilla finish that is very pleasant.

Not too light and not to heavy, this is a good moderate beer that seams to get all over you mouth and has a good finish.

I may get another one of these and age it for some time. It seams like one of those beers that will get much better with a little aging. Will update if I do.

4.16/5  rDev +13%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

So, I've tried this beer twice now. Once before, and
once after reading through the "Beer Rating 101"
articles on Beer advocate. And I got to say, drinking
the beer right makes a difference.

I decided to listen to beer advocate's advice and drink
my beer warmer than I normally would (especially since
this beer in particular has a higher alcohol content.) I
noticed that though the sharp alcohol taste was still
there, it seemed to lessen as it became warmer and the
undertones of the grains used in the beer came through
resulting in an enhanced experience of the flavors of
the ale.

Look: 4.0 It wasn't "crystal clear". It did have some
yeast/sediment floating around in it, but nothing to
really be concerned about. I felt it gave it authenticity. The color ranged from an amber color outside of direct light (dark, but not very), to a more golden amber when
held closer to a light. I poured it kind of hard so it was a
little extra foamy than it should've been, but the head retention seemed
great. It didn't go flat and I drank it slower than I
normally would.

Smell: 3.5 Really strong Bourbon smell, with a hint of
some malts.

Taste: 4.3 As I said, the taste evolves as it warms up.
The colder it is the more the bourbon-like alcohol
taste comes out, but as it warms up a creamy smooth
wheat-like taste starts to envelope if you let it sit
on your palate. (I'm not saying the bourbon taste isn't
still there, it's just less defined when the other flavors of
the beer come out.) Definitely a must try if can handle
higher ABV beers.

feel: 4.6 A little unpleasant if it's too cold, but
gets to be a smooth, creamy-like, bubble feel once it
warms up. It really complements the taste and leaves a
nice feeling on your taste buds.... Delicious.

overall = 4.51 If you can't handle a strong beer (or
don't like the taste of bourbon) than this might not be
for you. But, if you don't fall under either of those