Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale - Alltech’s Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel AleKentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale

good

Alltech’s Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co. visit their website
Kentucky, United States

English Strong Ale |  8.19% ABV

(Beer added by: SheepNutz on 07-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale Alström Bros
2.5/5  rDev -31.9%

RyanFleck, Mar 04, 2014

hurschikjohn, Jun 17, 2014
4.56/5  rDev +24.3%

blavod, Aug 16, 2014
4.08/5  rDev +11.2%

Fresh, poured a light amber color. Had a light colored head that quickly fell. Great aroma of reminent bourbon from barrel. Vanilla notes from the barrel. Slight alcohol in the nose as well, but not fusel. Easy drinking, pleasant beer. Medium-light body and well balanced. Finishes slightly sweet. Very drinkable.

beefnbarley, Feb 20, 2011

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

jasrockstar, Aug 27, 2013

nickjd26, Dec 08, 2013
4.81/5  rDev +31.1%

This was only the 3rd beer that I found that I liked the taste of enough to not need to wash down every sip with another non-beer drink. That aside, I actually like this beer and would drink it daily if it was around and I didn't have to go anywhere.

I like stouts and sort of like porters. I don't like a barley taste, and this had none of that.

I tasted something sweet and savory, almost chocolate in nature. It was nicely fizzy and goes exceptionally well with Pringles Sour Cream and Chives, with a side of LOTR or The Hobbit.

I'm very happy my local ABC carries it and will be very disappointed if I ever go there and it's not an option.

If you're not a big beer drinker because you haven't found one you like, I recommend trying this one.

NoHorsePiss, Jan 29, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

brian256, Mar 04, 2014
4.85/5  rDev +32.2%

I'll start this by saying I'd gladly drink this beer every day for the rest of my life. It brings together everything great about bourbon, the smokiness, vanilla hints, and oak tastes, and combines it effortlessly with a malty, sweet ale, not a dark and brooding porter or stout. This yields the most drinkable attempt of adding bourbon to beer that I've ever tasted.

Appearance - Nothing special, but it does hold a great head, looks great in and out of the bottle, and is reminiscent of bourbon.

Smell - Bourbon and beer--perfect.

Taste - Again, perfectly combines two of the most amazing creations on earth.

Mouthfeel - Crisp, sweet, and sumptuous. No harsh notes of alcohol from the aging in bourbon barrels. Just smooth and wonderful.

- Adam from Tipped Mixology

TippedMixology, May 23, 2014
4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

Suppa07, Aug 16, 2014
3.68/5  rDev +0.3%

BenznBeer, Sunday at 12:49 AM
4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

being a fan of bourban in the winter months, i had to give this one a try. very nice beer. drank from a snifter, it was suggested and i had no clean pints, so what the hey, i use the snifter. great amber color, sweeter than i anticipated, but not to much. nice bourban aftertaste lingers. if you like bourban and you're reading this, you obviously like beer, so try this one

mutt, Aug 17, 2006
3.65/5  rDev -0.5%

Served in a 10 ounce brandy style glass, the ruddy amber colored nectar was every bit bourbon, despite a lack of odor. I was surprised by the missing sense and tried to determine if there were other contributors to my inability to detect (nearby food, smoke, or perfume) and found none of them either. I think I was so expecting to smell bourbon and alcohol that without either I missed the more subtle malt odor I later tasted.

Regardless, the first, and predictable, flavor was bourbon, followed by a strong alcohol taste. Given the name and the abv, I expected this and was not disappointed. As a liquid, the Bourbon Barrel Ale is very drinkable. It is smooth and without any aftertaste, a clean finish and mouthfeel.

The remainder of the pour was less bourbon/alcohol and more red ale malt, which I prefer. All it really needed was a cigar.

GrumpyGas, Sep 24, 2012

I bought this on a trip this summer. Poured it into a Jester King Tour Glass.

Copper Color,very little head but decent lacing. This bottle is dated
Dec 2011, but it has been cellared since June, and considering the high abv, it should have been able to hold up.

Smells like bourbon, but not like very good bourbon.

Taste is OK, pretty much bourbon and nothing else. Malt doesn't come through.

Not thin or heavy on the mouthfeel.

This beer is OK, but I am not super excited about trying to get it again. I think that my preference is for stouts aged in bourbon barrels and not this type of ale.

uhcougar, Nov 04, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

RedTickBrewingCo, Jul 04, 2012
1.43/5  rDev -61%

This beer is awful. I purchased a 4 pack to include it in a gift for my brother. I decided to sample one of these beers before I included it in the gifts.

Needless to say, I did not include it. Twice I've offered it to friends to get their thoughts with the same results. The only way I can describe this beer is awful. Way too sweet and too astringent from the alcohol.

I enjoy ales, reds, pales, and bourbons ages beers. This taste like a frat kid poured a shot of cheap bourbon into a bottle of subpar beer.

I decided to give it a second chance at a Local BeerFest as the brewery was there. Had the same opinion straight from the tap.

Don't waste your money on this one, Try their KY Light or Kolsh they are a little more forgiving.

BrewIrish98, Oct 26, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +7.1%

Aroma: A strong, sweet nose of bourbon and vanilla

Taste: The bourbon presence is more so in the nose rather than the taste; this beer has sweet caramel notes along with the spice of bourbon and vanilla.

Overall: A pleasant beer that can be paired well with Flan, jalapeno cornbread, and smoked pork.

cincyfan90, Jun 04, 2012
3.93/5  rDev +7.1%

12oz bottle poured into a glass.

A: Light brownish copper in color, decidedly translucent, pours with a light, not foamy head that does not last for too long and does not re-form well after sips are taken.

S: Smells like a bottle of Jack Daniels, only not as strong of course, due to the much reduced alcohol percentage in comparison

T: Strong bourbon flavor makes this ale seem to have the character of a darker ale, though it is not. A much greater malt presence than hop presence, and not a lot of other flavors are there to overpower the bourbon.

M:The bourbon flavor creates a small burn through each sip, with the sugary malts present on the tongue.

Overall, I'm very happy with this beer. The bourbon is the strongest flavor, perhaps overpowering the other flavors of the ale. And yet, what does one really expect when they're picking up something called "bourbon barrel ale"? Adding that to the fact that bourbon is one of the few liquors I enjoy drinking, and you end up with a beer I strongly approve of. Great taste, definitely would get again.

gobrewins, Aug 31, 2011

Atsukan, Dec 12, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +29.4%

scootermcfly, Mar 25, 2013
4.2/5  rDev +14.4%

BIRTC, Friday at 03:51 AM
Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale from Alltech’s Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.