Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout - Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel StoutKentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout

good

Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co. visit their website
Kentucky, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: bluejacket74 on 11-23-2012)

1.08/5  rDev -69.7%

Terrible beer. To be clear- I seek out bourbon barrel aged stouts, and like coffee stouts - this is the worst example of either that I've ever had. Pours thin, faint coffee aroma, no apparent bourbon presence at all. I poured the last half of the bottle down the drain...Only the second time that I've done that in my long beer drinking life. Terrible, what a disappointment.

1.2/5  rDev -66.4%

1.25/5  rDev -65%

1.4/5  rDev -60.8%

A - Appearance is good. Nice looking stout, very appetizing with the look of the beer itself. Nice head and chocolatey appearance.

S - Foul stench. Not sure what that is but that was frightening.

T - The coffee was very light and tasted rather cheap, Folger's? I don't get any bourbon or barrel taste whatsoever. The malt flavor is very subdued as well. All in all: awful taste.

M - This beer is very thin. I would expect a lot more body from this. The carbonation is fine.

O - This beer was awful. Hopefully it was just a bad batch or bad bottle. But my recommendation is to avoid this beer at all costs.

1.5/5  rDev -58%

1.75/5  rDev -51%

1.75/5  rDev -51%

1.93/5  rDev -45.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

Looks oily, almost no head and no retention. Aroma is downright displeasing, and for those reasons, this might just be best served in the bottle. Taste is a step above appearance and smell and surprisingly palatable compared to all its other characteristics. Oddly, I'm reminded more of a pilsner than a stout. Not getting any of the usual stout characteristics from this one except its color. Mouth feel is thin with carbonation that I'd describe as fizzy, almost foamy. Goes down fast but then leaves a coating that you can never quite swallow. Glad I opted to try just one instead of buying the whole four pack. Poured it down my throat instead of the sink, so it wasn't a loss, and not even displeasing, but not great. Basically, it's one of the the last stouts I'd buy again. Given the choice of drinking this versus other styles of beer (being primarily a stout drinker), if there were no other stouts available, I would drink it again.

2.05/5  rDev -42.6%

*What the hell happened to my review Beer Advocate?!?!? Let me try again!*

A- This is pathetic! I watched the head fizz away like cola to absolutely nothing. It just looked like I was drinking a cola from a fancy glass. Not cool Alltech, not cool! I don't know if I had a bad bottle or what, but this didn't make me happy. When when I aggressively swirled the beer, the head still fizzed away.

S- Smells like cola with coffee-esque notes. Raisiny dark fruit notes are there. Zero of the bourbon barrel comes out on this one.

T- Nah man, this is not good. It tasted like fizzy cola with a coffe-esque undertone and like rasiny dark fruit. That's weak! COLA?!? It was also very bitter and boozy tasting.

M- Very watery and thin. The carbination was a little harsh. The bitterness and the alcohol made this somewhat difficult to drink, but it was thin and watery enough that it wasn't god offal to drink.

*Overall I can't recommend anyone pick this up. I poured mine down the drain it was that bad. All fizzy, no head, and tasted like coffee and raisins meets cola. WHY OH WHY DOES THIS TASTE LIKE COKE? If someone just poured this beer and gave it to me, I would have had no idea it was a bourbon barrel beer. This was a big disappointment and will never be seeking it out again!

2.21/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Appearance: black body with a half finger tan head that did not stay around long; no lacing; spotty lacing with each sip and it slowly slides down the glass to nothing; no syrupy legs

Aroma: just opened the bottle so maybe it has not warmed up to display the bouquet; nothing; just plain old nothing; weak watered down coffee at best; no bourbon here; went to my cellar got a bottle of bourbon for I thought maybe I forgot what it smelled like; yep, no bourbon on the nose; no roasted notes that a stout should have nothing, just plain ol’ nothing

Flavors: some charred oak; no bourbon; thin on the flavors if there are any;

Mouthfeel: this is a stout; has the body of a black lager; fine fizzy carbonation; thin body; light bitter diner coffee;

To the Point: I would not even give this to someone as an introductory Bourbon Barrel Stout; Shit I bought two bottles of this crap; If they called this ‘Charred Oak Black Lager’ okay I would give it a B; for a Bourbon Barrel Stout – I’ll give it a D all day long; $3.55 a bottle save your money; buy KBS, Siberian Night BB; Goose Island Bourbon Country; Hell Arcadia Shipwreck Porter is closer to being a stout than this dirty water

2.4/5  rDev -32.8%

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout, the ale has been selling like hot cakes for stores in Ohio...the sad thing is I can't figure out why. When I saw this version I still had to give it a go it mentions aged with Haitian coffee, pours pitch black with a fizzy light tan head. Aroma gives off the coffee notes with hints of vanilla, charred oak, and bourbon. The flavor however keeps it along the lines of a mediocre light fizzy stout that may have been aged in oak bourbon barrels but really doesn't have enough body to carry out the characteristics that the barrel has to offer, first of I don't believe this beer is 8% that is hidden way too well. Remains a bit one dimensional even watery on my palate, it finishes with some bourbon flavor charred oak and watered down bourbon that warms the gut just a bit after a few sips. Really all and all it's a beer I will never go back to the carbonation and textures fall flat on the palate, just poorly made beer put in bourbon barrels that's my final impression.

2.5/5  rDev -30%

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout from Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.