Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout - Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel StoutKentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout

good

Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co. visit their website
Kentucky, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: bluejacket74 on 11-23-2012

1.09/5  rDev -68.8%

Terrible beer. To be clear- I seek out bourbon barrel aged stouts, and like coffee stouts - this is the worst example of either that I've ever had. Pours thin, faint coffee aroma, no apparent bourbon presence at all. I poured the last half of the bottle down the drain...Only the second time that I've done that in my long beer drinking life. Terrible, what a disappointment. (375 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -59.9%

A - Appearance is good. Nice looking stout, very appetizing with the look of the beer itself. Nice head and chocolatey appearance.

S - Foul stench. Not sure what that is but that was frightening.

T - The coffee was very light and tasted rather cheap, Folger's? I don't get any bourbon or barrel taste whatsoever. The malt flavor is very subdued as well. All in all: awful taste.

M - This beer is very thin. I would expect a lot more body from this. The carbonation is fine.

O - This beer was awful. Hopefully it was just a bad batch or bad bottle. But my recommendation is to avoid this beer at all costs. (612 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -46.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

Looks oily, almost no head and no retention. Aroma is downright displeasing, and for those reasons, this might just be best served in the bottle. Taste is a step above appearance and smell and surprisingly palatable compared to all its other characteristics. Oddly, I'm reminded more of a pilsner than a stout. Not getting any of the usual stout characteristics from this one except its color. Mouth feel is thin with carbonation that I'd describe as fizzy, almost foamy. Goes down fast but then leaves a coating that you can never quite swallow. Glad I opted to try just one instead of buying the whole four pack. Poured it down my throat instead of the sink, so it wasn't a loss, and not even displeasing, but not great. Basically, it's one of the the last stouts I'd buy again. Given the choice of drinking this versus other styles of beer (being primarily a stout drinker), if there were no other stouts available, I would drink it again. (952 characters)

2.04/5  rDev -41.5%

*What the hell happened to my review Beer Advocate?!?!? Let me try again!*

A- This is pathetic! I watched the head fizz away like cola to absolutely nothing. It just looked like I was drinking a cola from a fancy glass. Not cool Alltech, not cool! I don't know if I had a bad bottle or what, but this didn't make me happy. When when I aggressively swirled the beer, the head still fizzed away.

S- Smells like cola with coffee-esque notes. Raisiny dark fruit notes are there. Zero of the bourbon barrel comes out on this one.

T- Nah man, this is not good. It tasted like fizzy cola with a coffe-esque undertone and like rasiny dark fruit. That's weak! COLA?!? It was also very bitter and boozy tasting.

M- Very watery and thin. The carbination was a little harsh. The bitterness and the alcohol made this somewhat difficult to drink, but it was thin and watery enough that it wasn't god offal to drink.

*Overall I can't recommend anyone pick this up. I poured mine down the drain it was that bad. All fizzy, no head, and tasted like coffee and raisins meets cola. WHY OH WHY DOES THIS TASTE LIKE COKE? If someone just poured this beer and gave it to me, I would have had no idea it was a bourbon barrel beer. This was a big disappointment and will never be seeking it out again! (1,282 characters)

2.22/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Appearance: black body with a half finger tan head that did not stay around long; no lacing; spotty lacing with each sip and it slowly slides down the glass to nothing; no syrupy legs

Aroma: just opened the bottle so maybe it has not warmed up to display the bouquet; nothing; just plain old nothing; weak watered down coffee at best; no bourbon here; went to my cellar got a bottle of bourbon for I thought maybe I forgot what it smelled like; yep, no bourbon on the nose; no roasted notes that a stout should have nothing, just plain ol’ nothing

Flavors: some charred oak; no bourbon; thin on the flavors if there are any;

Mouthfeel: this is a stout; has the body of a black lager; fine fizzy carbonation; thin body; light bitter diner coffee;

To the Point: I would not even give this to someone as an introductory Bourbon Barrel Stout; Shit I bought two bottles of this crap; If they called this ‘Charred Oak Black Lager’ okay I would give it a B; for a Bourbon Barrel Stout – I’ll give it a D all day long; $3.55 a bottle save your money; buy KBS, Siberian Night BB; Goose Island Bourbon Country; Hell Arcadia Shipwreck Porter is closer to being a stout than this dirty water (1,195 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -29.8%

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout, the ale has been selling like hot cakes for stores in Ohio...the sad thing is I can't figure out why. When I saw this version I still had to give it a go it mentions aged with Haitian coffee, pours pitch black with a fizzy light tan head. Aroma gives off the coffee notes with hints of vanilla, charred oak, and bourbon. The flavor however keeps it along the lines of a mediocre light fizzy stout that may have been aged in oak bourbon barrels but really doesn't have enough body to carry out the characteristics that the barrel has to offer, first of I don't believe this beer is 8% that is hidden way too well. Remains a bit one dimensional even watery on my palate, it finishes with some bourbon flavor charred oak and watered down bourbon that warms the gut just a bit after a few sips. Really all and all it's a beer I will never go back to the carbonation and textures fall flat on the palate, just poorly made beer put in bourbon barrels that's my final impression. (1,003 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle served in a pint glass
A very deep brown that is just a touch lighter in color than black in the glass with red highlights that shine through when held up to the light. This starts off with about a finger of light khaki head that quickly settles to nearly nothing. Not much in the smell other than a light touch of roasted malt and chocolate. After taking a sip I get a rather one dimensional roasted malt flavor and that is about it. As it warms alcohol too becomes more apparent but other than that there really isn't much going on in the flavor department here. It isn't really sweet but isn't really bitter either just kind of light or neutral in flavor with a bit of a slick character. It is more like a black lager than a stout and could almost be described as quite clean like you'd expect from a lager. Carbonation is low and there is no real aftertaste to speak of. Overall it's pretty disappointing, it's not a bad beer but not very good either. (976 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a very dark brown color. The head is a finger high and tan in shade. Texture wise, it's almost fizzy-looking (similar to Coke), and has the (bad) retention to match. No lacing is left behind. Not much to look at, really.

S: I'm getting little if any bourbon, which is disappointing. I am getting an okay coffee character, though. It's more along the lines of black coffee. Fairly devoid of sweetness...or aromatic depth for that matter. There are times when I sniff this, I think "poor man's BCBCS". Actually, it's not even that, but honestly (and I say this having utterly disliked their BA barley wine), it's an acceptable aroma. Let it warm up, and a faint bourbony note will come through. Just a faint one.

T: ...and what happened here? The aroma suggested a one-note stout that at least brought a healthy black coffee flavor. Down on the taste buds, I'm getting a lot more in the way of caramel and cola. Just a hint, I don't like my barrel-aged coffee stouts to taste like cola. There also seems to be some odd leather notes in there. After many sips, I'm starting to get some black coffee in the finish. Notice how I didn't mention anything about bourbon, vanilla, or oak barrels? That's because those flavors are so obstructed within the cola character, they're just too hard to notice. It has a bit of depth, but there's no finesse, balance, or integration at all. A textbook example of a messy brew, actually.

M: Rather sweet and sugary, without any of the softness or creaminess a good stout should feature. It prickles the palate in the wrong ways. The carbonation is slightly obscured, but shows its intensity when allowed to sit on the palate.

O: This, my friends, is what I call trend hopping. "BA coffee stouts are all the rage? OMG LET'S MAEK ONE!!1" And though I may never get to try KBS, I can at least take a crumb of comfort in the thought that it won't be this damn mediocre. The best thing I can say is that it's not as bad as their BA barleywine. It isn't total crap - it just isn't very good. (2,065 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -24.6%

Pours very nice looks good but that's about as far as it goes even tried aging one close to year still sour green coffee taste with zero bourbon flavor (151 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -21.8%

Pours with very little head, no lacing as well. A: Dark, no light shown through. S: Coffee and molasses. T: Somewhat sweet at first, but quickly transitions to coffee. M: Slight, short lived tingle on the middle of the tongue from the carbonation. O: Would be rated better if branded as a coffee stout. There is no oak, or bourbon present in this stout from start to finish. Delicious? For sure, but not what I was expecting when I bought it. (442 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -21.2%

A - near black. No head. No lacing. 3.25

S - charcoal chocolate old bandaid 2

T - sour stout mixed with cheap bourbon. Chocolate bourbon and coke. 2

M - too watery. Slightly caustic. 3

D - an odd experiment but not one worth repeating. 3 (244 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Dark color with a think head

S - COFFEE! Also coffee, and coffee. Strong smell as soon as the bottle was uncapped. Faint odor of oak and caramelness.

T - Strong coffee flavor to match the strong smell. However I detected no bourbon flavor whatsoever.

F - Thinner than most stouts but acceptable. Carbonation was on high side

O - IF this was marketed as a coffee stout, I'd rank it higher. However it is a Bourbon Barrel Stout. I couldn't detect any bourbon flavor, or any other flavor for that matter aside from the coffee. Overall I'm disappointed as this is my favorite style of beer. (594 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Pours very dark with tan head that dissipates very rapidly. Smell of cold coffee and unfortunately no bourbon or whiskey, kind of a poor smell. Dose not taste like a barrel aged beer, I get some coffee, some bitter acid and sour fruit. Mouthfeel is thin and overly carbonated.

Overall, not very good, would not seek this out and I think you'd be better off not trying this beer. Has a sour and bloody taste. (409 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Bourbon? Doesn't taste like it or smell like it. Barrel? No taste of wood. Coffee? Well, the kind that taste like green peppers. Imperial stout? Doesn't seem rich enough for me to hit the category. For me, this beer is a fail on many levels. It works OK as a stout, but I was expecting something special, and it comes across as subpar. (335 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -15.8%

Unlike this brewery's other offering, its flagship bourbon ale, I could hardly taste the bourbon here... probably overwhemed by the toasted stout notes. Not sure that anyone could really pull off this rather unnatural combination, in my opinion. (246 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottle from Liquor Barn, poured into an oversized wine glass (porter/stout glass)
A: Not impressive. Minimal head, which disappears quickly. Dark, but not rich like other upper-level stouts.
S: Smells kind of like butt. Strong coffee, not much bourbon. The regular bourbon barrel has a much stronger, clearer bourbon aroma.
T: Good coffee taste, but not much stouty taste. Not much bourbon either
M: Fine. Not thick and complex like a stout.
O: An ok beer, but not what it says it is, and definitely not a 3.80 a bottle. (520 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12 oz bottle courtesy of fthomasl pours an opaque black color with a small, short-lived tan head. Not much lace either.

Nose is marshmallows, roast, black licorice and a little bit of barrel char - not that the barrel presence is all that noticeable. Im guessing this is blended with some non-barrel stout.

Taste is heavy on the vegetal coffee flavors and some wood peeks out a bit more in the flavor. Sweetness backs down but the roast from the coffee and the malt could use something to offset the astringency. Not at all pleasant, very rough mouthfeel and Im not sure if I can finish this bottle myself. Ive seen people in stores fall victim to the marketing of Alltech - having 'Kentucky', 'Bourbon Barrel' and 'Stout' on the label is not just coincidence. Not quite a drainpour, but close. (796 characters)

Good beer. Not great. can't really find the coffee, but the alcohol is well hidden making this a very smooth beer. I wouldn't seek it out, but wouldn't turn it down if someone handed me one. (191 characters)

12 oz bottle poured in a glass. Almost no head, dissipates very quickly. Pitch black. Dark Chocolate. Coffee. Taste of whiskey is barely noticeable; instead, a roasted malt finish. It was okay. (204 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -13.2%

WTF!? Did they use barrels that actually contained bourbon at some point? If you are looking for a coffee stout I say give it a whirl. As for a "bourbon" stout, look elsewhere. Almost no bourbon flavor detected. Very coffee based. Not sure how long it is aged, but I would guess while they were off over the weekend. My review is based on the label and the $15 price tag for a 4 banger Looks ok, smells ok, tastes ok. Thats about it (432 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -12.9%

Didnt look like a stout when i poured it and doesnt feel like one either.this is lazy beer making, comparing this to a good, full bodied barrel aged stout is like comparing caitlyn jenner to j-lo.....piss poor effort.i tried this and a bells cherry stout back to back....need a narwhal now to give my mouth some proper stout flavour. (333 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -12%

A - Dark brown, decent head, but fades quickly.

S - Could pick up bourbon on the nose, but there is a sharp chemical smell that is less than stellar.

T - Not impressive, but not offensive. Somewhat one note. The alcohol notes are muted. Very little of the standard roasty coffee, but a touch of the sweet chocolate. Just nothing too deep going on here.

M - Thin. Fair amount of carbonation that fades out pretty quickly.

O - Ultimately, nothing special. A bit boring, but not terrible. A flat, uninspired experience. (520 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -11.7%

Appearance: moderate carbonation, 1/3 inch head, opaque, black in color

Smell: oat, dark chocolate, roasted malt, and light bourbon

Taste: oat, dark chocolate, roasted malt, coffee, and light bourbon/vanilla on the finish

Mouthfeel: sweet and roasty, heavy-bodied, medium-low carbonation

Overall: This is an average roasty, coffee stout. The bourbon is faint if existent at all. I was expecting it to be a lot more pronounced. Not a bad beer, but nothing that really differentiates this from most other stouts. The original Ale is by far and away my favorite from this brewery. (581 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -11.7%

12 ounce bottle into snifter

Pours a dark brown with a tiny tan head. Smells of roasted malt and a little chocolate. Taste is bitter chocolate and coffee but is very muted and a little artificial tasting. I get little to no bourbon. Mouthfeel is thin with medium to high amount of carbonation. Overall it's OK and not very "Bourbon" or "Imperial" as the label states. (368 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -10.9%

Had this on 2013-01-20 in Columbia, PA

A - Opaque dark brown with a short tan head and mild lacing.

S - Sour mash, light roasted grain, smoke and a touch of caramel. My first reaction to the smell wasn't favorable. It smelled "off". Subsequent smellings before tasting improved my impression a bit with some chocolate milk aroma and light coffee.

T - Acidic, sour cherry, charred grain, bourbon. Very little sweetness. Some hop and roasted bitterness in the aftertaste. I don't like this flavor.

M - Thick body and light-medium carbonation. Substantial feel.

O - Not my cup of tea. (588 characters)

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout from Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.