Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout - Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel StoutKentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout

good

pDev: 16%
Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co. visit their website
Kentucky, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: bluejacket74 on 11-23-2012

3.14/5  rDev -10.3%

I felt like I was drinking an iced coffee, with no ice. I had to double check the bottle to make sure it was what I thought it was. Just to make sure I drank the other 3 bottles in the 4 pack. I am now wired from the coffee in it and now desire something that resembles alcohol. I guess I got what I paid for in $6 for the 4 pack. (330 characters)

4 pack of 12oz bottles.
Pours a watery dark. Does not have that silky smooth look that normally comes from a barrel aged stout.
Slight smell of bourbon, not big and prominent as I would like from this style beer.
Tastes a lot like it smells...average. I like my barrel aged beers big on flavor both from the barrel and the beer. This one seems to be short on both. (365 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -10%

I am sipping on this as I type. I would not go as far as other reviewers as to say I would dump it out...but it is indeed a little disappointing. I poured this beer from a bottle into a snifter. It poured a very slight head, which quickly dwindled.

Smells lightly of coffee and vanilla, perhaps the slightest hint of bourbon, but then again, I am looking for it. One reviewer noted it was thin, yet still syrupy. I agree, and I don't understand...It's light in taste, but leaves my lips sticky.

Taste-wise there isn't a whole lot going on. I let it warm to room temp thinking that would help. It's gone flat now, sort of like soda.

It's really kind of strange. By far the lightest stout I've had, sort of reminds me of a brown. It would be good to introduce a newbie to a stout, but I am totally missing the intense Haitian coffee, and where is the bourbon?? Overall, not horrible, but I won't buy again when there are so many phenomenal stouts out there. (960 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -10%

a: Black with a small mocha head.

s: Faint coffee, barely discernible roast, and a trace of warmth.

t: Mild but nice coffee, lingering gentle roast. No hint of bourbon barrel.

m: Feels like 5%.

o: Well its a helluva lot better than the barleywine. Absolutely no barrel character and pretty thin overall. (307 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a snifter; thanks, Cliff.

A: Midnight black with a very slight tan head that went away quickly. No lacing. Just kinda sits there.

S: Charred, oak-y, coffee. But hey, where's the bourbon?

T: Follows nose with an almost flat taste. No bourbon at all. Semi-sweet, smokey. No robustness. I really wanted some punch. Got slight sourness instead.

M: Light to medium with low carbonation.

O: Not much of a kick here. Wondered if it was infected. I really enjoyed Lexington's Bourbon Barrel Ale. But this one didn't meet expectations. (545 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Nice deep chocolate brown color. Good cappuccino head tht leaves pretty nice lacing as it dissipates. Aroma is light, with faint oak and sweet malts. Taste is interesting for a stout. Lots of carbonation, kind of mild for a stout. Flavors of roasted brown sugar and faint bourbon. Alcohol comes through ever so slightly. Feels slick on the palate and has a bitter sugar finish that stays for awhile (398 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pour: Pitch black with some dark reddish brown along the edges when backlit. There is also a small, overactive head that fizzles quickly.

Aroma: Sharp booze, sweet chocolate, and dark roast coffee. Not much else seems to come through, the bourbon does come through more than anything else.

Taste: Coffee first, with tons of alcohol warming. Then the bourbon hits and takes over the tongue There is a hint of chocolate in there, but the bourbon takes center stage, with the coffee in the supporting cast.

Overall: A decent beer. There is a ton of bourbon, as advertized, but not a whole lot of complexity for a big beer. I like to sit for a while on barrel aged beers, but this one doesn’t really afford that. I put one down to sit for a while, perhaps that will help out. (776 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: very dark and opaque except right at the edges, small light-tan head.

S:starts off very coffee forward. For a little while during the warm up period there was a strong aroma of cigar smoke which was kind of off putting but that receded as it warmed more and became integrated with the coffee smell and a bit more pleasant but is still kind of hard to get past at times

T: dark roasted malts, again strong on the coffee flavor with a touch of chocolate. I start picking up a bit of vanilla from the barrels at the end and it becomes a little sweet.

M: on the thinner side of full. Lower carbonation

O: an alright beer. I agree with previous review comments that this strikes me much more as a coffee beer than a barrel-aged beer because the coffee is so dominant and the barrel characteristics so minimal. Maybe brewing with coffee and aging in the barrel with Haitian coffee as it says on the label is a bit of overkill. Would like to see them tone down the coffee and have a larger barrel presence. (1,006 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -8%

Bottle traded with Justin - thanks brother.

A: poured with black/ruby red color, not opaque, head 'hissed' when poured
S: I'm not a huge coffee fan but the bourbon, malt and coffee work well together
T: not as rich as I'd expect for EtOH and being a double stout with bourbon aging
M: thinner than expected
O: decent, but only that (332 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter

Pours a dark opaque brown with a slight mahogony glow around the edges. One finger of creamy head recedes to a nice firm collar. Aroma is comprised mostly of roasted coffee with notes of cocoa and bourbon in the background. Underwhelming.

The taste is pretty much what is expected from the smell. Dark roast coffee with faint toffee, chocolate and barely-noticeable bourbon. Nothing offensive or out of place, but just like the nose, underwhelming. The bigger issue for me is the texture. Way too thin and light for a stout trying to carry this flavor profile. A bit watery even. Carbonation is slightly overdone.

Overall, I would hesitate to call this a "bad" beer, but don't get your hopes up. Not worth the price in my book, and this will be a one and done for me. (807 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Overall, this beer is okay for the indicated style. Nothing stands out within the nose or the palate -especially for a stout being aged on bourbon barrels- that wouldn't be present otherwise in any other typical stout. Standard malt, bitterness, and alcohol flavors abound, not much oak, vanilla, caramel, or toffee flavors that would be present with some age on bourbon. Very flat for what its supposed to be. (410 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A - Black color; a little carbonation and head -- moderate lacing.
S - Picked up on the coffee notes and some of the oak, but not some of the malt I expected.
T - The coffee flavor was bitter, somewhat burnt.
M - Fairly flat.
O - I wanted to like this more than I did. Certainly not a bad beer, but flatter than I expected. (326 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Served in a snifter glass.

Appearance: Very dark brown, borderline black thin body. Head is an average tan, maybe 1/4" off the body.

Smell: Light coffee scent with a light-light whiskey scent.

Taste: Bland coffee feel coming off slight bitter. Has much room for improvement, I expected more coffee and more molasses and it being a "bourbon" aged beer, should be more potent when it comes to its whiskey properties.

Mouth: Light bitter finish with semi dry notes. Somewhat sticky but not as sticky as it should be.

Overall: It's good but definitely not going to be a steady in my fridge. If you are looking for something new to try to add to your list pick it up but if if have your steady Imperial Stout, my advice to you is to stick to it. Salud! (756 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I doubt this was a excellent stout before aging. Aging seemed decent but average stout. Since I thought it was well below average I am going to try aging it for a year. (168 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: very dark, nearly opaque. Tan head and lacing. Expected a more substantial head on a relatively "small" imp stout.
Smell: muted stout characteristics. Some roastiness, a hint of coffee. Not getting any oak or bourbon.
Taste: again, muted stout taste. Not getting barrel or bourbon at all, and only a hint of coffee. Not bad, but just not much happening.
Overall: might have been impressed with us before having Kbs, Parabola, and Bcbs. Seems to be simply a stout, not much imperial about it, nor are there bourbon barrel characteristics. Nothing wrong with a "plain" stout to be sure, but would have expected to experience the advertised qualities. (662 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Got this as an extra and poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Poured a thin black hue with next to no head and what little is there becomes a very thin halo.

S - Aromas of faint chocolate, cheap bourbon, coffee isnt too too bad though. Acceptable aroma, in fact, better than what I was assuming it would be.

T - Taste is somewhat astringent, smokey malts, sweeter, faint chalky chocolate, the bourbon is barely there but whats there is cheap. The coffee is awfully astringent, almost burnt like. Rather mediocre.

M - Mouthfeel is alright, lower carbonated, alcohol hidden well. Is thin though.

O - Overall, this beer was a bust, which was expected. Nose actually wasn't have bad though but everything else was fairly poor. Still, not a total drain pour.

Serving Type: Bottle (778 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

had from a bottle, I imagine it would have been better from a keg. Felt a little thin. I probably gave it an extra .25 point on smell since it was in a bottle but smelled fairly good...overall not bad. Would really like it on tap think it would probably be better. (264 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a 12 oz Alaskan 25 year tulip. Pours a slick almost black, with a two inch tan head that leaves behind some lace. Smell is intense dark chocolate, vanilla, Bourbon, roasted coffee, licorice, and tobacco. Taste is lest aggressive with dark chocolate and roasty coffee dominating, with everything else in a supporting role. Body is thinner than I like or expect, not much carbonation as expected, dry side, and not to filling for a sipper. This is o.k, but something is holding g it back besides its thin body. (520 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours pitch-black and topped with a thin dark-tan head which quickly dissipates, leaving very little lacing.

Nose is not at all expressive when cold, so I let it warm-up.

Slightly acrid, with notes of smoke and lighter, funky barrel character. Lightly sweet and rich. Coffee? Yes, but it's very slight. Definite note of vanilla.

Rather sweet on the front end, with acrid/roast coffee notes picking up toward the end of the first sip. Nice bittersweet character which lingers. Heavier licorice note mellows a little and gives way to the roast character and astringency. Coffee note from the nose is really a lighter espresso note, and hardly as prominent as I'd expected from reading some of the other reviews.

There is prune, ripe plum, and even notes of ripe red grape, so if dark fruit character is what you like, it's going on here. I find it much more typical in renditions in the barleywine and very strong ale styles, but again: Here it is something to note, and even pleasant.

Not exactly dry on the finish, but it almost gets you to think that it is.

Some boozy heat and fusel alcohol character which doesn't really add to the enjoyment, here. In fact, the booziness is sort-of a redeeming character to this one, as -even as it warms up- it's not all that good for the style, and frankly: The bar is set HIGH.

Body is a bit thin for the American/Imperial Stout style, but barrel treatment also has a tendency to do this.

Not a bad beer, but with the bar being so-darn hi nowadays, it's maybe just a little better than average. I sort of have a soft spot for this brewery, so it's just one of those things, I guess. (1,643 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle. Sampled on January 11, 2014.

The pour is black with little to no head. Any head that happens fades quickly.

The aroma is overpowered by the Bourbon or wine, which is what it really smells like. After getting through that I do find a touch of chocolate malts but the wine is the front character.

Lighter to medium body.

The taste is much like the aroma but it is a tad better with some chocolate characteristics. But after getting through that I really get a sour note, which is a bit annoying considering this is meant to be a stout. The short review is that there is way too much much Bourbon and wine. (635 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Clear brown colored beer with a small brown colored head.

Smells of whiskey and chocolate with a hint of coffee. There is a distinct scent of coca-cola to this.

Starts out tasting of coffee whiskey and chocolate. This is a little sweet. Slight coconut taste.

Mouthfeel is average.

Overall an OK beer but there are better whiskey stouts. (343 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours out black as night with a half-finger, light brown head that dissipates quickly with really no lacing. Smell is coffee, dark/burnt malts, and almost a sour smell to the beer that is quite strange for the style. Really no bourbon in the nose. Taste is much like the nose with no bourbon notes at all. I'm not sure where the sour taste is coming from but it is really not very noticeable but it is there. To me it actually is kind of nice because I like sour beers but the TINY hint of sour is strange in that I'm not sure it should be there. It's strange but the beer tastes good. Mouthfeel is fairly thin to maybe a tiny bit of thickness from the carbonation when flushed around the mouth. Overall this isn't a bad beer but the slight sour is possibly a tiny infection. (775 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into snifter.
A: 4.0 Pours very thick, dark as oil. Generates half a finger of head that reduces quickly.
S: 3.25 Lots of coffe aroma, roasted malt and chocolate take a distant second place.
T: 3.25 Just like the smell, loads of coffee up front. This is very good, but not exactly what I was expecting for the name or style. I do not get much bourbon at all.
M: 3.5 The carbonation is very appropriate for this one. The flavors do not linger as long as expected for how thick it appears.
O: 3.5 This is a good beer, but is t very well balanced. So much coffee all around masks all the other flavors that are lingering in the background. (660 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -2.3%

A - Black and thick. Mmmm motor oil. :)
No head retention to speak of, very little on pour.

S - Chocolate first and forward, with coffee following. Reminiscent of a really good mocha. Bourbon comes through almost as an alcoholic heat (subtle) more than the complex woody and sweet character you might expect, although there is some of the mild vanilla often found with barrel aging and a lot of roast. Quite a bit going on here.

T - I've had this once before and didn't get the harshness that I found this time on the first sip: it reminded me of the aftertaste from smoking a good cigar - leathery, peppery, with a bit of char that probably comes from the barrel (fine in a cigar, but not necessarily welcome in a beer). This charcoal-like note is very off putting. The rich roast of the malt, which is present, is getting buried behind it. This is a recent purchase, much better when I last had it, so I suspect this beer needs some cellaring to reach it's true potential.

M - Full bodied mouth feel with a nearly syrupy viscosity, but not particularly smooth - there is almost a grainy feeling on the tongue that lingers. There is a pleasant warming you'd expect from the style that you feel all the way down.

O - The first time I had it, it was at a friend's and I think that had held it for awhile. It was certainly much better in that batch than in this one now that I've acquired it for myself. I expected to be writing a better review based on my first experience with this beer, but I'm hopeful that it is a lack of conditioning rather than a lack of consistency. (1,576 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours jet black with a small tan head. In the the aroma, small coffee notes. In the taste, coffee, a mellow roast, and a mellow oaky end. A small bite and a medium bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry coffee and roast in the aftertaste. Nice roast, big coffee, oak notes, but not much bourbon. (291 characters)

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout from Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.