Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout - Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel StoutKentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout

Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co. visit their website
Kentucky, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: bluejacket74 on 11-23-2012

3.08/5  rDev -12.7%

Appearance: moderate carbonation, 1/3 inch head, opaque, black in color

Smell: oat, dark chocolate, roasted malt, and light bourbon

Taste: oat, dark chocolate, roasted malt, coffee, and light bourbon/vanilla on the finish

Mouthfeel: sweet and roasty, heavy-bodied, medium-low carbonation

Overall: This is an average roasty, coffee stout. The bourbon is faint if existent at all. I was expecting it to be a lot more pronounced. Not a bad beer, but nothing that really differentiates this from most other stouts. The original Ale is by far and away my favorite from this brewery.

3.08/5  rDev -12.7%

12 ounce bottle into snifter

Pours a dark brown with a tiny tan head. Smells of roasted malt and a little chocolate. Taste is bitter chocolate and coffee but is very muted and a little artificial tasting. I get little to no bourbon. Mouthfeel is thin with medium to high amount of carbonation. Overall it's OK and not very "Bourbon" or "Imperial" as the label states.

3.11/5  rDev -11.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Cuvee tulip. No bottle dating that I could find.
Pours a dark brown, just hedging on black. Thin amount of a cola like head; doesn't hang around long and leaves no lacing whatsoever.
Plenty of oak, chocolate, molasses, a little coffee, not really getting any bourbon...?
Plenty of charred oak, some bittersweet chocolate, and coffee; kind of watery. Not sure what to make of this one. Missing bourbon, kind of a let down.
Mouthfeel, this is a stout? This is so thin and watery I don't see how you can call this a stout, a brown ale at best maybe; or even where the barrel is? Nice amount of carbonation though, but the only thing left is a strange aftertaste of oak and bakers chocolate.
Overall, this beer is a big let down for me. I was expecting a lot out of this beer and was rewarded with very little in return. The aroma out of the bottle when it was first opened was quite promising, but the taste just did not follow suit. Not going to purchase this one again.

3.11/5  rDev -11.9%

Had this on 2013-01-20 in Columbia, PA

A - Opaque dark brown with a short tan head and mild lacing.

S - Sour mash, light roasted grain, smoke and a touch of caramel. My first reaction to the smell wasn't favorable. It smelled "off". Subsequent smellings before tasting improved my impression a bit with some chocolate milk aroma and light coffee.

T - Acidic, sour cherry, charred grain, bourbon. Very little sweetness. Some hop and roasted bitterness in the aftertaste. I don't like this flavor.

M - Thick body and light-medium carbonation. Substantial feel.

O - Not my cup of tea.

3.13/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

APPEARANCE - Poured into a scotch glass, 6oz at a time, the beer was a dark, near-black, red with a silky multitude of thin brown bubbles to form the head. The head was a short-lived 1 to 2 fingers. Seems nice until it reminds you of Coca-Cola.

SMELL - Outstanding. Among the best smells of any stout I've ever had, ranking up there, for me, with Flying Dog's Barrel Aged Gonzo Porter, and Epic Brewing's Big Bad Baptist. Lots of coffee, yes, but the aroma is more complex than that and much more subtle. Some caramel and a good deal of vanilla and oak as well, almost as much as the coffee. And then, trailing at the end, a hint of bourbon. Excellence.

TASTE - Unfortunately, for me, this was a big let down. Having paid over $13 for four of these and having loved Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale, this stout did not measure up as being either a good stout or a good example of bourbon barrel aging. The taste is overwhelmingly of mediocre coffee, and while there is a bit of malty, vanilla-chocolate roast to the beer, it is utterly drowned out and forgettable.

FEEL - Thin for the style, the mouthfeel, again, reminds one, disconcertingly, of a cola rather than a stout beer. Medium-bodied and not very creamy, I'm left wondering where the stout I bought went. Though it is not overly carbonated, the thin liquid does little to coat the tongue and even the massively average coffee flavor dissipates quickly.

OVERALL - This is a below-average beer, forgivable had it cost substantially less and were marketed as a Coffee Stout. As a Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout, this leaves just about everything to be desired. Not worth the price tag by a long shot. Much better beer can be purchased, in either style, for less money, in six-packs rather than four. I wouldn't turn one down, but I won't be spending the money until they tone down the coffee and turn up the stout + bourbon.

3.14/5  rDev -11%

I felt like I was drinking an iced coffee, with no ice. I had to double check the bottle to make sure it was what I thought it was. Just to make sure I drank the other 3 bottles in the 4 pack. I am now wired from the coffee in it and now desire something that resembles alcohol. I guess I got what I paid for in $6 for the 4 pack.

4 pack of 12oz bottles.
Pours a watery dark. Does not have that silky smooth look that normally comes from a barrel aged stout.
Slight smell of bourbon, not big and prominent as I would like from this style beer.
Tastes a lot like it smells...average. I like my barrel aged beers big on flavor both from the barrel and the beer. This one seems to be short on both.

3.15/5  rDev -10.8%

I am sipping on this as I type. I would not go as far as other reviewers as to say I would dump it out...but it is indeed a little disappointing. I poured this beer from a bottle into a snifter. It poured a very slight head, which quickly dwindled.

Smells lightly of coffee and vanilla, perhaps the slightest hint of bourbon, but then again, I am looking for it. One reviewer noted it was thin, yet still syrupy. I agree, and I don't understand...It's light in taste, but leaves my lips sticky.

Taste-wise there isn't a whole lot going on. I let it warm to room temp thinking that would help. It's gone flat now, sort of like soda.

It's really kind of strange. By far the lightest stout I've had, sort of reminds me of a brown. It would be good to introduce a newbie to a stout, but I am totally missing the intense Haitian coffee, and where is the bourbon?? Overall, not horrible, but I won't buy again when there are so many phenomenal stouts out there.

3.15/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Pours a dark black, minimal thin off white head. Smells of oak, vanilla, coffee, some cocoa. Strong bourbon characteristics at initial taste, coffee, carob, oak and vanilla notes. Mouthfeel is incredibly thin for a stout – as previous reviewers commented – more akin to a brown ale or porter. Fair amount of effervescence.
Not unpleasant – but seemed to lack many of the characteristics I find important to a stout. I’ve got 5 left of the six pack I bought – I’ll probably take them to a party and throw them into a cooler – never to be seen again. Not my cup of tea. (Note – I was a little sad after drinking this beer – I had such high hopes. . .)

3.15/5  rDev -10.8%

a: Black with a small mocha head.

s: Faint coffee, barely discernible roast, and a trace of warmth.

t: Mild but nice coffee, lingering gentle roast. No hint of bourbon barrel.

m: Feels like 5%.

o: Well its a helluva lot better than the barleywine. Absolutely no barrel character and pretty thin overall.

3.15/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a snifter; thanks, Cliff.

A: Midnight black with a very slight tan head that went away quickly. No lacing. Just kinda sits there.

S: Charred, oak-y, coffee. But hey, where's the bourbon?

T: Follows nose with an almost flat taste. No bourbon at all. Semi-sweet, smokey. No robustness. I really wanted some punch. Got slight sourness instead.

M: Light to medium with low carbonation.

O: Not much of a kick here. Wondered if it was infected. I really enjoyed Lexington's Bourbon Barrel Ale. But this one didn't meet expectations.

3.18/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Nice deep chocolate brown color. Good cappuccino head tht leaves pretty nice lacing as it dissipates. Aroma is light, with faint oak and sweet malts. Taste is interesting for a stout. Lots of carbonation, kind of mild for a stout. Flavors of roasted brown sugar and faint bourbon. Alcohol comes through ever so slightly. Feels slick on the palate and has a bitter sugar finish that stays for awhile

3.18/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pour: Pitch black with some dark reddish brown along the edges when backlit. There is also a small, overactive head that fizzles quickly.

Aroma: Sharp booze, sweet chocolate, and dark roast coffee. Not much else seems to come through, the bourbon does come through more than anything else.

Taste: Coffee first, with tons of alcohol warming. Then the bourbon hits and takes over the tongue There is a hint of chocolate in there, but the bourbon takes center stage, with the coffee in the supporting cast.

Overall: A decent beer. There is a ton of bourbon, as advertized, but not a whole lot of complexity for a big beer. I like to sit for a while on barrel aged beers, but this one doesn’t really afford that. I put one down to sit for a while, perhaps that will help out.

3.21/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: very dark and opaque except right at the edges, small light-tan head.

S:starts off very coffee forward. For a little while during the warm up period there was a strong aroma of cigar smoke which was kind of off putting but that receded as it warmed more and became integrated with the coffee smell and a bit more pleasant but is still kind of hard to get past at times

T: dark roasted malts, again strong on the coffee flavor with a touch of chocolate. I start picking up a bit of vanilla from the barrels at the end and it becomes a little sweet.

M: on the thinner side of full. Lower carbonation

O: an alright beer. I agree with previous review comments that this strikes me much more as a coffee beer than a barrel-aged beer because the coffee is so dominant and the barrel characteristics so minimal. Maybe brewing with coffee and aging in the barrel with Haitian coffee as it says on the label is a bit of overkill. Would like to see them tone down the coffee and have a larger barrel presence.

3.22/5  rDev -8.8%

Bottle traded with Justin - thanks brother.

A: poured with black/ruby red color, not opaque, head 'hissed' when poured
S: I'm not a huge coffee fan but the bourbon, malt and coffee work well together
T: not as rich as I'd expect for EtOH and being a double stout with bourbon aging
M: thinner than expected
O: decent, but only that

3.23/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter

Pours a dark opaque brown with a slight mahogony glow around the edges. One finger of creamy head recedes to a nice firm collar. Aroma is comprised mostly of roasted coffee with notes of cocoa and bourbon in the background. Underwhelming.

The taste is pretty much what is expected from the smell. Dark roast coffee with faint toffee, chocolate and barely-noticeable bourbon. Nothing offensive or out of place, but just like the nose, underwhelming. The bigger issue for me is the texture. Way too thin and light for a stout trying to carry this flavor profile. A bit watery even. Carbonation is slightly overdone.

Overall, I would hesitate to call this a "bad" beer, but don't get your hopes up. Not worth the price in my book, and this will be a one and done for me.

3.24/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Overall, this beer is okay for the indicated style. Nothing stands out within the nose or the palate -especially for a stout being aged on bourbon barrels- that wouldn't be present otherwise in any other typical stout. Standard malt, bitterness, and alcohol flavors abound, not much oak, vanilla, caramel, or toffee flavors that would be present with some age on bourbon. Very flat for what its supposed to be.

3.25/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A - Black color; a little carbonation and head -- moderate lacing.
S - Picked up on the coffee notes and some of the oak, but not some of the malt I expected.
T - The coffee flavor was bitter, somewhat burnt.
M - Fairly flat.
O - I wanted to like this more than I did. Certainly not a bad beer, but flatter than I expected.

3.25/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Served in a snifter glass.

Appearance: Very dark brown, borderline black thin body. Head is an average tan, maybe 1/4" off the body.

Smell: Light coffee scent with a light-light whiskey scent.

Taste: Bland coffee feel coming off slight bitter. Has much room for improvement, I expected more coffee and more molasses and it being a "bourbon" aged beer, should be more potent when it comes to its whiskey properties.

Mouth: Light bitter finish with semi dry notes. Somewhat sticky but not as sticky as it should be.

Overall: It's good but definitely not going to be a steady in my fridge. If you are looking for something new to try to add to your list pick it up but if if have your steady Imperial Stout, my advice to you is to stick to it. Salud!

3.26/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I doubt this was a excellent stout before aging. Aging seemed decent but average stout. Since I thought it was well below average I am going to try aging it for a year.

3.27/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: very dark, nearly opaque. Tan head and lacing. Expected a more substantial head on a relatively "small" imp stout.
Smell: muted stout characteristics. Some roastiness, a hint of coffee. Not getting any oak or bourbon.
Taste: again, muted stout taste. Not getting barrel or bourbon at all, and only a hint of coffee. Not bad, but just not much happening.
Overall: might have been impressed with us before having Kbs, Parabola, and Bcbs. Seems to be simply a stout, not much imperial about it, nor are there bourbon barrel characteristics. Nothing wrong with a "plain" stout to be sure, but would have expected to experience the advertised qualities.

3.29/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Got this as an extra and poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Poured a thin black hue with next to no head and what little is there becomes a very thin halo.

S - Aromas of faint chocolate, cheap bourbon, coffee isnt too too bad though. Acceptable aroma, in fact, better than what I was assuming it would be.

T - Taste is somewhat astringent, smokey malts, sweeter, faint chalky chocolate, the bourbon is barely there but whats there is cheap. The coffee is awfully astringent, almost burnt like. Rather mediocre.

M - Mouthfeel is alright, lower carbonated, alcohol hidden well. Is thin though.

O - Overall, this beer was a bust, which was expected. Nose actually wasn't have bad though but everything else was fairly poor. Still, not a total drain pour.

Serving Type: Bottle

3.3/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

had from a bottle, I imagine it would have been better from a keg. Felt a little thin. I probably gave it an extra .25 point on smell since it was in a bottle but smelled fairly good...overall not bad. Would really like it on tap think it would probably be better.

3.31/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a 12 oz Alaskan 25 year tulip. Pours a slick almost black, with a two inch tan head that leaves behind some lace. Smell is intense dark chocolate, vanilla, Bourbon, roasted coffee, licorice, and tobacco. Taste is lest aggressive with dark chocolate and roasty coffee dominating, with everything else in a supporting role. Body is thinner than I like or expect, not much carbonation as expected, dry side, and not to filling for a sipper. This is o.k, but something is holding g it back besides its thin body.

3.34/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours pitch-black and topped with a thin dark-tan head which quickly dissipates, leaving very little lacing.

Nose is not at all expressive when cold, so I let it warm-up.

Slightly acrid, with notes of smoke and lighter, funky barrel character. Lightly sweet and rich. Coffee? Yes, but it's very slight. Definite note of vanilla.

Rather sweet on the front end, with acrid/roast coffee notes picking up toward the end of the first sip. Nice bittersweet character which lingers. Heavier licorice note mellows a little and gives way to the roast character and astringency. Coffee note from the nose is really a lighter espresso note, and hardly as prominent as I'd expected from reading some of the other reviews.

There is prune, ripe plum, and even notes of ripe red grape, so if dark fruit character is what you like, it's going on here. I find it much more typical in renditions in the barleywine and very strong ale styles, but again: Here it is something to note, and even pleasant.

Not exactly dry on the finish, but it almost gets you to think that it is.

Some boozy heat and fusel alcohol character which doesn't really add to the enjoyment, here. In fact, the booziness is sort-of a redeeming character to this one, as -even as it warms up- it's not all that good for the style, and frankly: The bar is set HIGH.

Body is a bit thin for the American/Imperial Stout style, but barrel treatment also has a tendency to do this.

Not a bad beer, but with the bar being so-darn hi nowadays, it's maybe just a little better than average. I sort of have a soft spot for this brewery, so it's just one of those things, I guess.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout from Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.