Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout - Alltech’s Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel StoutKentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout

good

Alltech’s Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co. visit their website
Kentucky, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: bluejacket74 on 11-23-2012)

Dutch55, Jun 15, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +5%

EdFed, Jun 15, 2014

davemathews68, Jun 14, 2014

benloho, Jun 14, 2014

Ultra-Plinian, Jun 13, 2014
2.93/5  rDev -17.9%

Bourbon? Doesn't taste like it or smell like it. Barrel? No taste of wood. Coffee? Well, the kind that taste like green peppers. Imperial stout? Doesn't seem rich enough for me to hit the category. For me, this beer is a fail on many levels. It works OK as a stout, but I was expecting something special, and it comes across as subpar.

pweis909, Jun 13, 2014

Rlhinson2104, Jun 08, 2014

BA_Berto, Jun 07, 2014

BryantForestry, Jun 07, 2014
3.49/5  rDev -2.2%

A really dark beer. The head was tan color and somewhat thin. No lacing as I drank the beer. I could smell coffee. I could taste the coffee and roasted malt. At first I didn't taste as much bourbon as I expected, but as I drank the beer bourbon flavors came out. Some warmth from the alcohol.

deg, Jun 05, 2014

dental, Jun 02, 2014

wrightst, Jun 02, 2014
3.15/5  rDev -11.8%

a: Black with a small mocha head.

s: Faint coffee, barely discernible roast, and a trace of warmth.

t: Mild but nice coffee, lingering gentle roast. No hint of bourbon barrel.

m: Feels like 5%.

o: Well its a helluva lot better than the barleywine. Absolutely no barrel character and pretty thin overall.

DIM, Jun 01, 2014

Jpgatorbait, Jun 01, 2014

aasher, Jun 01, 2014

Latarnik, May 31, 2014

cmgray03, May 31, 2014
2.6/5  rDev -27.2%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a very dark brown color. The head is a finger high and tan in shade. Texture wise, it's almost fizzy-looking (similar to Coke), and has the (bad) retention to match. No lacing is left behind. Not much to look at, really.

S: I'm getting little if any bourbon, which is disappointing. I am getting an okay coffee character, though. It's more along the lines of black coffee. Fairly devoid of sweetness...or aromatic depth for that matter. There are times when I sniff this, I think "poor man's BCBCS". Actually, it's not even that, but honestly (and I say this having utterly disliked their BA barley wine), it's an acceptable aroma. Let it warm up, and a faint bourbony note will come through. Just a faint one.

T: ...and what happened here? The aroma suggested a one-note stout that at least brought a healthy black coffee flavor. Down on the taste buds, I'm getting a lot more in the way of caramel and cola. Just a hint, I don't like my barrel-aged coffee stouts to taste like cola. There also seems to be some odd leather notes in there. After many sips, I'm starting to get some black coffee in the finish. Notice how I didn't mention anything about bourbon, vanilla, or oak barrels? That's because those flavors are so obstructed within the cola character, they're just too hard to notice. It has a bit of depth, but there's no finesse, balance, or integration at all. A textbook example of a messy brew, actually.

M: Rather sweet and sugary, without any of the softness or creaminess a good stout should feature. It prickles the palate in the wrong ways. The carbonation is slightly obscured, but shows its intensity when allowed to sit on the palate.

O: This, my friends, is what I call trend hopping. "BA coffee stouts are all the rage? OMG LET'S MAEK ONE!!1" And though I may never get to try KBS, I can at least take a crumb of comfort in the thought that it won't be this damn mediocre. The best thing I can say is that it's not as bad as their BA barleywine. It isn't total crap - it just isn't very good.

ThisWangsChung, May 27, 2014

PappyVans, May 26, 2014

osant37, May 25, 2014
Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout from Alltech’s Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.