Join our email list →

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout - Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel StoutKentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout

good

Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.
Kentucky, United States | website

American Double / Imperial Stout | 8.00% ABV

Beer added by: bluejacket74 on 11-23-2012

3.18/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Nice deep chocolate brown color. Good cappuccino head tht leaves pretty nice lacing as it dissipates. Aroma is light, with faint oak and sweet malts. Taste is interesting for a stout. Lots of carbonation, kind of mild for a stout. Flavors of roasted brown sugar and faint bourbon. Alcohol comes through ever so slightly. Feels slick on the palate and has a bitter sugar finish that stays for awhile

3.23/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter

Pours a dark opaque brown with a slight mahogony glow around the edges. One finger of creamy head recedes to a nice firm collar. Aroma is comprised mostly of roasted coffee with notes of cocoa and bourbon in the background. Underwhelming.

The taste is pretty much what is expected from the smell. Dark roast coffee with faint toffee, chocolate and barely-noticeable bourbon. Nothing offensive or out of place, but just like the nose, underwhelming. The bigger issue for me is the texture. Way too thin and light for a stout trying to carry this flavor profile. A bit watery even. Carbonation is slightly overdone.

Overall, I would hesitate to call this a "bad" beer, but don't get your hopes up. Not worth the price in my book, and this will be a one and done for me.

12 oz bottle poured in a glass. Almost no head, dissipates very quickly. Pitch black. Dark Chocolate. Coffee. Taste of whiskey is barely noticeable; instead, a roasted malt finish. It was okay.

3.7/5  rDev +4.8%

A - Pitch black with a half a finger of fizzy off white head, no lacing.
S - Aroma is rather nice, big roasted chocolate malt, oak, burnt toffee, a little coffee, very light hints of bourbon though.
T - There's a substantial coffee flavor here with a very mild bourbon kick, some black cherry, very woody too
M - Dont feel the 8% which is good I guess, its a litlte too carbonated though.
O - Its good, but missing a lot for a beer of this type.

4.37/5  rDev +23.8%

Beer pours a nice jet black with a small amount of light tan head, decent retention, not too intense on the pour though.

On the nose there is a pretty intense roasted/burnt coffee going on with a little bit of a oaked woody note. Not boozy at all, not picking up on any vanilla or dark fruits either.

Flavor wise the bourbon becomes a little more apparent, definitely still has a roasted/burnt coffee backbone. Slightly sweet vanilla finish, no boozyness at all. Towards the end I pick up on a very feint figgy/plum kind of flavor. I don't pick up on much of the bourbon, more of the oaky woody flavor than bourbon itself. Not really a bad thing though, flavor is well blended.

Mouthfeel wise its on the thin side with a pretty high amount of carbonation for something barrel aged.

Overall, I really like this, it doesn't have a crushingly high abv and extreme bourbon character but its a nice brew. I don't think they put these in the bourbon barrels for very long, but its a nice stout. If you are expecting a boozy, bourbon barrel aged RIS, this isn't going to meet the ticket, but its not bad by any means.

I have a feeling that they actually aged this on bourbon soaked oak chips instead of in bourbon barrels, a bit misleading, but again still a nice brew.

3.52/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Big, dark beer with a formerly firm tan topper. Receded to patchiness.

Sweet chocolatey aroma with a chinsy barrel note that reminds me of butterscotch ripple, oak, and maple. Very sweet nose, but rather transparent. No depth beneath the initial sugary barrel stout whiffs. Malts are restrained. No true hop character.

Much too sweet. Tastes like oak staves, chocolate syrup, Werthers candies, buttery fusel, cheap bourbon, moderate roast, and finishing waxiness. Bitterness that finishes decently. Tries to dry up as much as it can.

Body is too thin. Carbonation is a little bit spiked, but not terribly so. Not much salvation there, though.

A one and done, for sure. Glad I tried it, but not for most. So many betters out there.

2.73/5  rDev -22.7%

Pours with very little head, no lacing as well. A: Dark, no light shown through. S: Coffee and molasses. T: Somewhat sweet at first, but quickly transitions to coffee. M: Slight, short lived tingle on the middle of the tongue from the carbonation. O: Would be rated better if branded as a coffee stout. There is no oak, or bourbon present in this stout from start to finish. Delicious? For sure, but not what I was expecting when I bought it.

3.73/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle. Pours dark brown with tall, long lasting, creamy, beige head and nice lacing. Aroma is of roasted malt, toast, dark fruit, coffee, vanilla and dark chocolate. Body is full, creamy and smooth. Taste is of some funk, bourbon, roasted malt, coffee, vanilla, brown sugar, dark fruit and some hops. Finish is long and boozy. Well done brew.

4.37/5  rDev +23.8%

Appearance – Completely black with a light tan head
Aroma – Dark coffee, alcohol, slight bourbon on the end
Taste – Coffee up front with a middle that’s all vanilla and bourbon.
Finish – This beer finishes up with slightly bitter, strong coffee. The bourbon notes on the finish help to mellow this out.

3.58/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into tulip

A: black with less than 1 fingers width tan heads dissipates quickly, fair amount of lacing

S: coffee, roasty, fusel alcohol and subtle whiskey aromas

T: follows the nose, whiskey, roasty not terribly complex but pretty good

D: a bit thin, well restrained ABV, appropriate carbonation

O: nothing spectacular but better than I expected

3.51/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

The pour looked opaque, black, and imposing in the tulip glass. The head formed to a one finger thick at first, but dies down rapidly, and the beer looked quite still thereafter. The aroma was quite tame for a beer of this gravity and complex construction. I could detect a hint of vanilla, and some oak and coffee, but it was a rather mild smell. The taste was dominated by coffee, followed by some toffee and chocolate. The oak and vanilla were quite a bit more subdued than many other similarly aged beers. There was a faint hint of cherry in the finish. The body was much thinner than a typical stout, and the beer felt way less potent than it was. The aftertaste was a lingering vanilla note. It was an enjoyable beer, but I would have liked to seen more oak influences show up.

4.15/5  rDev +17.6%

Appearance: Black glass shows some ruby edge when backlit. Holds a tight tan head of foam that laces well.

Smell: A bit boozy, barrel notes are strong, a bit a of black bread background shows some depth. Faint earthy hop notes too.

Taste: The Bourbon and Barrel aspects are front and center, but don't overwhelm the beer base, subtle grape esters give a doppelbock angle, the total package manages to come across as soft and easy, a rare trick when bring this much wood.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, low carbonation, almost cask level, finishes fairly clean with a little oil at the end.

Overall: Masterfully made beer. The brewers have dialed in the big flavors to a point where they pop without drowning out everything else, and everything else is really well made too! Manages to be an experience while still being very drinkable; great beer!

2.94/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Bourbon? Doesn't taste like it or smell like it. Barrel? No taste of wood. Coffee? Well, the kind that taste like green peppers. Imperial stout? Doesn't seem rich enough for me to hit the category. For me, this beer is a fail on many levels. It works OK as a stout, but I was expecting something special, and it comes across as subpar.

3.52/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A really dark beer. The head was tan color and somewhat thin. No lacing as I drank the beer. I could smell coffee. I could taste the coffee and roasted malt. At first I didn't taste as much bourbon as I expected, but as I drank the beer bourbon flavors came out. Some warmth from the alcohol.

3.15/5  rDev -10.8%

a: Black with a small mocha head.

s: Faint coffee, barely discernible roast, and a trace of warmth.

t: Mild but nice coffee, lingering gentle roast. No hint of bourbon barrel.

m: Feels like 5%.

o: Well its a helluva lot better than the barleywine. Absolutely no barrel character and pretty thin overall.

2.62/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a very dark brown color. The head is a finger high and tan in shade. Texture wise, it's almost fizzy-looking (similar to Coke), and has the (bad) retention to match. No lacing is left behind. Not much to look at, really.

S: I'm getting little if any bourbon, which is disappointing. I am getting an okay coffee character, though. It's more along the lines of black coffee. Fairly devoid of sweetness...or aromatic depth for that matter. There are times when I sniff this, I think "poor man's BCBCS". Actually, it's not even that, but honestly (and I say this having utterly disliked their BA barley wine), it's an acceptable aroma. Let it warm up, and a faint bourbony note will come through. Just a faint one.

T: ...and what happened here? The aroma suggested a one-note stout that at least brought a healthy black coffee flavor. Down on the taste buds, I'm getting a lot more in the way of caramel and cola. Just a hint, I don't like my barrel-aged coffee stouts to taste like cola. There also seems to be some odd leather notes in there. After many sips, I'm starting to get some black coffee in the finish. Notice how I didn't mention anything about bourbon, vanilla, or oak barrels? That's because those flavors are so obstructed within the cola character, they're just too hard to notice. It has a bit of depth, but there's no finesse, balance, or integration at all. A textbook example of a messy brew, actually.

M: Rather sweet and sugary, without any of the softness or creaminess a good stout should feature. It prickles the palate in the wrong ways. The carbonation is slightly obscured, but shows its intensity when allowed to sit on the palate.

O: This, my friends, is what I call trend hopping. "BA coffee stouts are all the rage? OMG LET'S MAEK ONE!!1" And though I may never get to try KBS, I can at least take a crumb of comfort in the thought that it won't be this damn mediocre. The best thing I can say is that it's not as bad as their BA barleywine. It isn't total crap - it just isn't very good.

3.15/5  rDev -10.8%

4 pack of 12oz bottles.
Pours a watery dark. Does not have that silky smooth look that normally comes from a barrel aged stout.
Slight smell of bourbon, not big and prominent as I would like from this style beer.
Tastes a lot like it smells...average. I like my barrel aged beers big on flavor both from the barrel and the beer. This one seems to be short on both.

3.08/5  rDev -12.7%

Appearance: moderate carbonation, 1/3 inch head, opaque, black in color

Smell: oat, dark chocolate, roasted malt, and light bourbon

Taste: oat, dark chocolate, roasted malt, coffee, and light bourbon/vanilla on the finish

Mouthfeel: sweet and roasty, heavy-bodied, medium-low carbonation

Overall: This is an average roasty, coffee stout. The bourbon is faint if existent at all. I was expecting it to be a lot more pronounced. Not a bad beer, but nothing that really differentiates this from most other stouts. The original Ale is by far and away my favorite from this brewery.

2.96/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12 oz bottle courtesy of fthomasl pours an opaque black color with a small, short-lived tan head. Not much lace either.

Nose is marshmallows, roast, black licorice and a little bit of barrel char - not that the barrel presence is all that noticeable. Im guessing this is blended with some non-barrel stout.

Taste is heavy on the vegetal coffee flavors and some wood peeks out a bit more in the flavor. Sweetness backs down but the roast from the coffee and the malt could use something to offset the astringency. Not at all pleasant, very rough mouthfeel and Im not sure if I can finish this bottle myself. Ive seen people in stores fall victim to the marketing of Alltech - having 'Kentucky', 'Bourbon Barrel' and 'Stout' on the label is not just coincidence. Not quite a drainpour, but close.

3.71/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Modest head that settles to a thin level of bubbles. No lace as the head settles nor after each sip. Dark brown color where no light shines through.

Sweet with strong alcohol aroma. Natural toasty smells. Do I smell some fresh berries?

Lots of darker malt/burnt toast flavors up front. The body is good with the carbonation a bit high. There's a strong alcohol element to the flavor. Not as harsh as most Stouts. There's a bit of blackberry to the flavor.

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a black with a short lived tan head. Head dissipates to nothing pretty quick

S: Strong black coffee up front with sweet malt and dark fruit in the background. no hop aroma to speak of. Coffee dominates.

T: Strong coffee with dark fruit and raisin notes in the background. I detect the slightest hint of oak in the aftertaste but can't find the bourbon. All hop taste is in bittering. Semi dry finish.

M: Medium bodied brew that suits that's a little weak for the style.

O: This seems more like a strong breakfast or coffee stout. I like the strong coffee flavor and aroma but it wasn't what I was expecting from a bourbon barrel stout. For what it is, I like this beer.

3.98/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 12 oz bottle into English pint glass.

Appearance: So I poured this beer pretty aggressively and only yielded a half finger head, which dissipated almost instantly. Guess I'll blame the abv. Color of the almost non existent head was light brown. Not gonna lie I'm really bummed out over the head. Moving right along, the color of the beer is dark brown, while pouring and damned near black in a glass, very little light coming through the sides.

Smell: Beer picks up here, sorta. Not very complex, but I smell a slight roasted coffee smell. I THINK I smell bourbon but I could be imagining it, its very subtle.

Mouthfeel: Medium-heavy

Taste: Ok, here we go. So on first sip the first thing I can say is how damned drinkable this beer is. 8% abv and I could pitch these back like Yuenglings. roasty with a hint of coffee, maybe bourbon. Getting half way through and it warming up a little, it becomes a little more complex. Coffee taste is now very apparent and in the best way, Very well done on the coffee taste not taking over the beer. A slight, perfectly slight, dryness on the back of your pallet. Just slightly bitter linger but again, it's done well.

Overall: Damn is this beer good, I know it isnt the most complex beer or really worth talking about, but its a high abv that you could drink all night and really enjoy the roasty coffee notes. If I could get a head out of this it would have been a 4.00

Edit: Don't buy if your looking for a aged bourbon stout, its better noted as a basic, session-able stout with hints of coffee.

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

12oz bottle into New Belgium Globe Glass.

A - Pitch black, zero head. Fine for a 12%+ beer but not acceptable for 8%.

S - Strong coffee notes, hint of vanilla. Very little to virtually no bourbon.

T - Thin coffee notes, with a touch of roasted barley and caramel sweetness. The slightest hint of oak and bourbon come out.

M - Thin and watery. The only part of this beer that leads me to believe it was barrel aged, but not in a good way.

O - the least impressive Bourbon barrel stout I've encountered. 3.5 is generous.

3.14/5  rDev -11%

I felt like I was drinking an iced coffee, with no ice. I had to double check the bottle to make sure it was what I thought it was. Just to make sure I drank the other 3 bottles in the 4 pack. I am now wired from the coffee in it and now desire something that resembles alcohol. I guess I got what I paid for in $6 for the 4 pack.

2.22/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Appearance: black body with a half finger tan head that did not stay around long; no lacing; spotty lacing with each sip and it slowly slides down the glass to nothing; no syrupy legs

Aroma: just opened the bottle so maybe it has not warmed up to display the bouquet; nothing; just plain old nothing; weak watered down coffee at best; no bourbon here; went to my cellar got a bottle of bourbon for I thought maybe I forgot what it smelled like; yep, no bourbon on the nose; no roasted notes that a stout should have nothing, just plain ol’ nothing

Flavors: some charred oak; no bourbon; thin on the flavors if there are any;

Mouthfeel: this is a stout; has the body of a black lager; fine fizzy carbonation; thin body; light bitter diner coffee;

To the Point: I would not even give this to someone as an introductory Bourbon Barrel Stout; Shit I bought two bottles of this crap; If they called this ‘Charred Oak Black Lager’ okay I would give it a B; for a Bourbon Barrel Stout – I’ll give it a D all day long; $3.55 a bottle save your money; buy KBS, Siberian Night BB; Goose Island Bourbon Country; Hell Arcadia Shipwreck Porter is closer to being a stout than this dirty water

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout from Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.