Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout - Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel StoutKentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout

Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co. visit their website
Kentucky, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: bluejacket74 on 11-23-2012

2.73/5  rDev -22.7%

Pours with very little head, no lacing as well. A: Dark, no light shown through. S: Coffee and molasses. T: Somewhat sweet at first, but quickly transitions to coffee. M: Slight, short lived tingle on the middle of the tongue from the carbonation. O: Would be rated better if branded as a coffee stout. There is no oak, or bourbon present in this stout from start to finish. Delicious? For sure, but not what I was expecting when I bought it.

3.73/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle. Pours dark brown with tall, long lasting, creamy, beige head and nice lacing. Aroma is of roasted malt, toast, dark fruit, coffee, vanilla and dark chocolate. Body is full, creamy and smooth. Taste is of some funk, bourbon, roasted malt, coffee, vanilla, brown sugar, dark fruit and some hops. Finish is long and boozy. Well done brew.

4.37/5  rDev +23.8%

Appearance – Completely black with a light tan head
Aroma – Dark coffee, alcohol, slight bourbon on the end
Taste – Coffee up front with a middle that’s all vanilla and bourbon.
Finish – This beer finishes up with slightly bitter, strong coffee. The bourbon notes on the finish help to mellow this out.

3.58/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into tulip

A: black with less than 1 fingers width tan heads dissipates quickly, fair amount of lacing

S: coffee, roasty, fusel alcohol and subtle whiskey aromas

T: follows the nose, whiskey, roasty not terribly complex but pretty good

D: a bit thin, well restrained ABV, appropriate carbonation

O: nothing spectacular but better than I expected

3.51/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

The pour looked opaque, black, and imposing in the tulip glass. The head formed to a one finger thick at first, but dies down rapidly, and the beer looked quite still thereafter. The aroma was quite tame for a beer of this gravity and complex construction. I could detect a hint of vanilla, and some oak and coffee, but it was a rather mild smell. The taste was dominated by coffee, followed by some toffee and chocolate. The oak and vanilla were quite a bit more subdued than many other similarly aged beers. There was a faint hint of cherry in the finish. The body was much thinner than a typical stout, and the beer felt way less potent than it was. The aftertaste was a lingering vanilla note. It was an enjoyable beer, but I would have liked to seen more oak influences show up.

4.15/5  rDev +17.6%

Appearance: Black glass shows some ruby edge when backlit. Holds a tight tan head of foam that laces well.

Smell: A bit boozy, barrel notes are strong, a bit a of black bread background shows some depth. Faint earthy hop notes too.

Taste: The Bourbon and Barrel aspects are front and center, but don't overwhelm the beer base, subtle grape esters give a doppelbock angle, the total package manages to come across as soft and easy, a rare trick when bring this much wood.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, low carbonation, almost cask level, finishes fairly clean with a little oil at the end.

Overall: Masterfully made beer. The brewers have dialed in the big flavors to a point where they pop without drowning out everything else, and everything else is really well made too! Manages to be an experience while still being very drinkable; great beer!

2.94/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Bourbon? Doesn't taste like it or smell like it. Barrel? No taste of wood. Coffee? Well, the kind that taste like green peppers. Imperial stout? Doesn't seem rich enough for me to hit the category. For me, this beer is a fail on many levels. It works OK as a stout, but I was expecting something special, and it comes across as subpar.

3.52/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A really dark beer. The head was tan color and somewhat thin. No lacing as I drank the beer. I could smell coffee. I could taste the coffee and roasted malt. At first I didn't taste as much bourbon as I expected, but as I drank the beer bourbon flavors came out. Some warmth from the alcohol.

3.15/5  rDev -10.8%

a: Black with a small mocha head.

s: Faint coffee, barely discernible roast, and a trace of warmth.

t: Mild but nice coffee, lingering gentle roast. No hint of bourbon barrel.

m: Feels like 5%.

o: Well its a helluva lot better than the barleywine. Absolutely no barrel character and pretty thin overall.

2.62/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a very dark brown color. The head is a finger high and tan in shade. Texture wise, it's almost fizzy-looking (similar to Coke), and has the (bad) retention to match. No lacing is left behind. Not much to look at, really.

S: I'm getting little if any bourbon, which is disappointing. I am getting an okay coffee character, though. It's more along the lines of black coffee. Fairly devoid of sweetness...or aromatic depth for that matter. There are times when I sniff this, I think "poor man's BCBCS". Actually, it's not even that, but honestly (and I say this having utterly disliked their BA barley wine), it's an acceptable aroma. Let it warm up, and a faint bourbony note will come through. Just a faint one.

T: ...and what happened here? The aroma suggested a one-note stout that at least brought a healthy black coffee flavor. Down on the taste buds, I'm getting a lot more in the way of caramel and cola. Just a hint, I don't like my barrel-aged coffee stouts to taste like cola. There also seems to be some odd leather notes in there. After many sips, I'm starting to get some black coffee in the finish. Notice how I didn't mention anything about bourbon, vanilla, or oak barrels? That's because those flavors are so obstructed within the cola character, they're just too hard to notice. It has a bit of depth, but there's no finesse, balance, or integration at all. A textbook example of a messy brew, actually.

M: Rather sweet and sugary, without any of the softness or creaminess a good stout should feature. It prickles the palate in the wrong ways. The carbonation is slightly obscured, but shows its intensity when allowed to sit on the palate.

O: This, my friends, is what I call trend hopping. "BA coffee stouts are all the rage? OMG LET'S MAEK ONE!!1" And though I may never get to try KBS, I can at least take a crumb of comfort in the thought that it won't be this damn mediocre. The best thing I can say is that it's not as bad as their BA barleywine. It isn't total crap - it just isn't very good.

3.15/5  rDev -10.8%

4 pack of 12oz bottles.
Pours a watery dark. Does not have that silky smooth look that normally comes from a barrel aged stout.
Slight smell of bourbon, not big and prominent as I would like from this style beer.
Tastes a lot like it smells...average. I like my barrel aged beers big on flavor both from the barrel and the beer. This one seems to be short on both.

3.08/5  rDev -12.7%

Appearance: moderate carbonation, 1/3 inch head, opaque, black in color

Smell: oat, dark chocolate, roasted malt, and light bourbon

Taste: oat, dark chocolate, roasted malt, coffee, and light bourbon/vanilla on the finish

Mouthfeel: sweet and roasty, heavy-bodied, medium-low carbonation

Overall: This is an average roasty, coffee stout. The bourbon is faint if existent at all. I was expecting it to be a lot more pronounced. Not a bad beer, but nothing that really differentiates this from most other stouts. The original Ale is by far and away my favorite from this brewery.

2.96/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12 oz bottle courtesy of fthomasl pours an opaque black color with a small, short-lived tan head. Not much lace either.

Nose is marshmallows, roast, black licorice and a little bit of barrel char - not that the barrel presence is all that noticeable. Im guessing this is blended with some non-barrel stout.

Taste is heavy on the vegetal coffee flavors and some wood peeks out a bit more in the flavor. Sweetness backs down but the roast from the coffee and the malt could use something to offset the astringency. Not at all pleasant, very rough mouthfeel and Im not sure if I can finish this bottle myself. Ive seen people in stores fall victim to the marketing of Alltech - having 'Kentucky', 'Bourbon Barrel' and 'Stout' on the label is not just coincidence. Not quite a drainpour, but close.

3.71/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Modest head that settles to a thin level of bubbles. No lace as the head settles nor after each sip. Dark brown color where no light shines through.

Sweet with strong alcohol aroma. Natural toasty smells. Do I smell some fresh berries?

Lots of darker malt/burnt toast flavors up front. The body is good with the carbonation a bit high. There's a strong alcohol element to the flavor. Not as harsh as most Stouts. There's a bit of blackberry to the flavor.

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a black with a short lived tan head. Head dissipates to nothing pretty quick

S: Strong black coffee up front with sweet malt and dark fruit in the background. no hop aroma to speak of. Coffee dominates.

T: Strong coffee with dark fruit and raisin notes in the background. I detect the slightest hint of oak in the aftertaste but can't find the bourbon. All hop taste is in bittering. Semi dry finish.

M: Medium bodied brew that suits that's a little weak for the style.

O: This seems more like a strong breakfast or coffee stout. I like the strong coffee flavor and aroma but it wasn't what I was expecting from a bourbon barrel stout. For what it is, I like this beer.

3.98/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 12 oz bottle into English pint glass.

Appearance: So I poured this beer pretty aggressively and only yielded a half finger head, which dissipated almost instantly. Guess I'll blame the abv. Color of the almost non existent head was light brown. Not gonna lie I'm really bummed out over the head. Moving right along, the color of the beer is dark brown, while pouring and damned near black in a glass, very little light coming through the sides.

Smell: Beer picks up here, sorta. Not very complex, but I smell a slight roasted coffee smell. I THINK I smell bourbon but I could be imagining it, its very subtle.

Mouthfeel: Medium-heavy

Taste: Ok, here we go. So on first sip the first thing I can say is how damned drinkable this beer is. 8% abv and I could pitch these back like Yuenglings. roasty with a hint of coffee, maybe bourbon. Getting half way through and it warming up a little, it becomes a little more complex. Coffee taste is now very apparent and in the best way, Very well done on the coffee taste not taking over the beer. A slight, perfectly slight, dryness on the back of your pallet. Just slightly bitter linger but again, it's done well.

Overall: Damn is this beer good, I know it isnt the most complex beer or really worth talking about, but its a high abv that you could drink all night and really enjoy the roasty coffee notes. If I could get a head out of this it would have been a 4.00

Edit: Don't buy if your looking for a aged bourbon stout, its better noted as a basic, session-able stout with hints of coffee.

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

12oz bottle into New Belgium Globe Glass.

A - Pitch black, zero head. Fine for a 12%+ beer but not acceptable for 8%.

S - Strong coffee notes, hint of vanilla. Very little to virtually no bourbon.

T - Thin coffee notes, with a touch of roasted barley and caramel sweetness. The slightest hint of oak and bourbon come out.

M - Thin and watery. The only part of this beer that leads me to believe it was barrel aged, but not in a good way.

O - the least impressive Bourbon barrel stout I've encountered. 3.5 is generous.

3.14/5  rDev -11%

I felt like I was drinking an iced coffee, with no ice. I had to double check the bottle to make sure it was what I thought it was. Just to make sure I drank the other 3 bottles in the 4 pack. I am now wired from the coffee in it and now desire something that resembles alcohol. I guess I got what I paid for in $6 for the 4 pack.

2.22/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Appearance: black body with a half finger tan head that did not stay around long; no lacing; spotty lacing with each sip and it slowly slides down the glass to nothing; no syrupy legs

Aroma: just opened the bottle so maybe it has not warmed up to display the bouquet; nothing; just plain old nothing; weak watered down coffee at best; no bourbon here; went to my cellar got a bottle of bourbon for I thought maybe I forgot what it smelled like; yep, no bourbon on the nose; no roasted notes that a stout should have nothing, just plain ol’ nothing

Flavors: some charred oak; no bourbon; thin on the flavors if there are any;

Mouthfeel: this is a stout; has the body of a black lager; fine fizzy carbonation; thin body; light bitter diner coffee;

To the Point: I would not even give this to someone as an introductory Bourbon Barrel Stout; Shit I bought two bottles of this crap; If they called this ‘Charred Oak Black Lager’ okay I would give it a B; for a Bourbon Barrel Stout – I’ll give it a D all day long; $3.55 a bottle save your money; buy KBS, Siberian Night BB; Goose Island Bourbon Country; Hell Arcadia Shipwreck Porter is closer to being a stout than this dirty water

3.83/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Dark brown/black, low tan head for a minute or two, sticky lacing afterwards.
Strong coffee in the smell, overshadowing everything (some roast, faint smoke, wood).
Nice clear coffee in the taste, not too sweet, not excessively strong, between an espresso and an americano. Zesty dark fruit keep it fresh and crisp, some sour cherries there, dates, juicy plums, even some lemon juice. Roasted grainy malts as it settles, dark bread crust. Barrel notes, yes (faint vanilla, wood, oak, faint smoke, bit of char), but the bourbon is just way too subtle (alcohol is present and felt, but doesn't give off the bourbon flavor found in the Kentucky BB Ale). Low hop presence, granted, some green notes, aftertaste consisting of coffee acidity and roast.
Feels a bit too crisp, almost watery for its style. Medium carbonation.
A refreshing coffee stout, not so bourbon, but rather tasty.

3.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

really in the mood for a double stout, I picked up this over-priced bottle from my favorite beer bodega on the way home from the ferry in manhattan. I scratched my itch, but was also-ran compared to the greats, and to think I could have had a Belgian Trappiste for the same price!

A: OK. Large initial tan head, but only medium lacing and retention.
S: Smell is its best feature. nearly perfect. A blend of malt, bourbon, wood, char.
T: Some how doesnt live up to promise of the aroma. It's really a chocolate/coffee stout with bourbon and wooden oak notes from the barrels. Thin tasting as well as body for a RIS.
MF: Ok thin, not a perfect finish, mid-pack

O: Glad I tried it, but longing for the Trappist I could have enjoyed for a similar $7 -ish price.

3.13/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

APPEARANCE - Poured into a scotch glass, 6oz at a time, the beer was a dark, near-black, red with a silky multitude of thin brown bubbles to form the head. The head was a short-lived 1 to 2 fingers. Seems nice until it reminds you of Coca-Cola.

SMELL - Outstanding. Among the best smells of any stout I've ever had, ranking up there, for me, with Flying Dog's Barrel Aged Gonzo Porter, and Epic Brewing's Big Bad Baptist. Lots of coffee, yes, but the aroma is more complex than that and much more subtle. Some caramel and a good deal of vanilla and oak as well, almost as much as the coffee. And then, trailing at the end, a hint of bourbon. Excellence.

TASTE - Unfortunately, for me, this was a big let down. Having paid over $13 for four of these and having loved Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale, this stout did not measure up as being either a good stout or a good example of bourbon barrel aging. The taste is overwhelmingly of mediocre coffee, and while there is a bit of malty, vanilla-chocolate roast to the beer, it is utterly drowned out and forgettable.

FEEL - Thin for the style, the mouthfeel, again, reminds one, disconcertingly, of a cola rather than a stout beer. Medium-bodied and not very creamy, I'm left wondering where the stout I bought went. Though it is not overly carbonated, the thin liquid does little to coat the tongue and even the massively average coffee flavor dissipates quickly.

OVERALL - This is a below-average beer, forgivable had it cost substantially less and were marketed as a Coffee Stout. As a Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout, this leaves just about everything to be desired. Not worth the price tag by a long shot. Much better beer can be purchased, in either style, for less money, in six-packs rather than four. I wouldn't turn one down, but I won't be spending the money until they tone down the coffee and turn up the stout + bourbon.

On-tap 3/19/2014 at Doherty’s Ale House, in Warwick, RI served in a snifter glass.

A: The beer is a deep dark brown color, with a large off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains roasted malts, coffee, chocolate and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with flavors of black coffee and a hearty roasted malt character. Then some mild chocolate sweetness comes in. The hops presence is mild as it should be in this type of beer and provides a good balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium-to-heavy body, medium carbonation, finish is dry but slightly sticky.

O: Tasty, goes down easy, not too filling, good kick, good representation of style, this is a very solid beer to drink for a while if you’re in the mood for the style.

2.79/5  rDev -21%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Pours very dark with tan head that dissipates very rapidly. Smell of cold coffee and unfortunately no bourbon or whiskey, kind of a poor smell. Dose not taste like a barrel aged beer, I get some coffee, some bitter acid and sour fruit. Mouthfeel is thin and overly carbonated.

Overall, not very good, would not seek this out and I think you'd be better off not trying this beer. Has a sour and bloody taste.

4.13/5  rDev +17%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A- Pours pitch black in color with a small, 1 finger, tan colored head. Head retention is lacking, but there is a little bit of lacing.

S- Big, huge, dark coffee roasts and lots of burnt malt flavors on the nose. Coffee is the dominant flavor in the scent. Maybe just a touch of barrel character in the smell, but not much at all.

T- Coffee start out the taste as well as the scent, but isn't quite as dark and bitter as in the smell. Bitter and fairly strong, the coffee turns over to the burnt malts towards the middle. The burnt bitterness ramps up a little bit and the barrel makes a tiny appearance in the form of oak and spiciness. Burnt malts are the lingering flavor on the tongue after the drink.

M- This beer presents a lot of dark and heavy flavors, yet remains a reasonably sessionable beer. The 8% alcohol is not detectable at all and the coffee, while strong, is pretty palatable and delicious.

Overall, there isn't much barrel here, but this is still a very good coffee stout. Best of all, this beer is sold at a reasonable price, so if you want just a little bit of barrel in a coffee stout, this is a good option for you.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout from Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.