Belikin Stout - Belize Brewing Co., Ltd.

Belikin StoutBelikin Stout

Belize Brewing Co., Ltd.
Belize

English Stout |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: SeanChouffe on 08-28-2003)
1.5/5  rDev -55.4%

2.5/5  rDev -25.6%

2.5/5  rDev -25.6%

2.75/5  rDev -18.2%

2.88/5  rDev -14.3%

not quite black, some mahogany tones in the light. clear with a minimal, diminishing light tan head. faint aromas of dark caramel, dark dried fruit, and maybe some nuttiness. pretty big dark malt sweetness is not quite balanced by a lack of roasty or hop bitterness. roundish and full-bodied. lightly carbonated.

Brought back to the states from my sister and poured into my green lantern pint glass. Pours with minimal foam along with the typical malty smell. Not really out of the ordinary from this English stout. While I expected some great scores from my sister this wasn't exactly what I had in mind. Still this beer is desirable and tastes quite great.Who knew the Mayans made English stouts???

Pecan shell brown that becomes dark cherry when sunlight is allowed entry. The upper half of the pint glass is filled with a golden beige cap that sports big, sticky bubbles on its surface and lays down a more than respectable amount of lace. So far, so good for my first Belizian beer.

What the hell happened to the nose? Not only don't the contents of the glass smell like a stout, they barely smell like beer. In fact, they don't smell like much of anything at all. I'll give it time to warm a little, but there's no way it's going to make that big of a comeback (it does, a little). Only a lack of offensiveness keeps the score from falling even further.

I was hoping that Belikin Stout would be a great, undiscovered example of a light stout from the most unlikely of countries. Actually, that sentence applies if we go back and remove the word 'great'. It's far from horrible, but it isn't a good stout no matter how one chooses to define 'stout' or 'good'.

To me, it most resembles a schwarzbier or a Euro dark lager. For starters, there's very little malt present. It tastes like extract of roasted barley was used, complete with a considerable amount of bitter char. Strangely enough, there's about half as much flavor as there ought to be. It's as if beer and taste buds get close to one another, without actually meeting. Warming helps enough to bump the flavor score, but I'm still not bowled over by excellence.

The mouthfeel is on the light end of the style curve. It allows me to grant an above average score only by being lightly (very lightly) creamy and by being perfectly carbonated.

Belikin Stout has to be classified as a disappointment. Having said that, and given what else is available in Central America, it's probably one of the more drinkable beers in that region of the world. Don't expect much and you'll be fine. Thanks to T. for being kind enough to give me the final bottle from the case she brought back from her recent honeymoon to Belize.

3.03/5  rDev -9.8%

284 ml. bottle with blue cap into a hotel drinking glass where we stayed in San Pedro.

Appearance: Definitely lighter than I'd imagined, with red coming through when light hits it. A mocha-colored head's present that dissipates fairly quickly but there's still a nice ring around the edge of the body of the brew.

Smell: Initial faint fruitiness like berry jam, mild roastiness, some mild chocolate, and maybe a hint of coffee there also. The fruit notes, though, remain fairly dominant throughout.

Taste: Again, initial fruit, backed by some mild char, a bit of roastiness, and moderate bitterness. Finishes initially with some dark fruit, then char and mild bitterness, but the finish really doesn't linger at all.

Mouthfeel: On the lighter, more watered-down side of the things for a stout, with a slight burst of carbonation at the finish. Lighter to medium-bodied overall.

Overall: Not bad for the other Belikin, especially at 6.5%, but don't look for something heavy on the roasted and charred malt if that's what you're after.

3.03/5  rDev -9.8%

Presentation: Brown recycled bottle with a “Mayan Temple” on the label. Bottle cap is blue indicating it is a stout.
The color is a very deep red (black), and it has a nice full brown head that maintains some presence throughout. Some lace that is not very sticky. A malty, roasted aroma that is fairly one-dimensional. The flavor is sweet with a dry biting finish that lingers. The mouth feel is well balanced --has a descent amount of carbonation.

3.23/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

284ml bottle
A: opaque black with tan head (small)
S:black molasses with sweet liquorice ... but not clean or fresh as could be.
T: very complex: dark liquorice candy, root beer, dark roast coffee, dark fruit cake. Slightly sticky and bitter at the end. Warm alcoholic finish. Not big and bold but definitely full flavoured. Quite interesting actually.
M: medium full bodied.
O: Lots of flavours going on but I just wish it tasted fresher and more "alive". It's dark and brooding and that liquorice/root beer taste sticks with me. Interesting and worth tasting just to experience it.

3.3/5  rDev -1.8%

I searched all over when I was in Belize for this brew and could not find it. My wife however surprised me with a six pack of this upon my arrival on board the Carnival Valor.
Pours a dark brown with the faintest of garnet highlights when held to light. A stingy almost tan head recedes entirely to quickly. I get very little out of the nose. Corn masa is very prominent with hints of dark fruit if I stare at the glass and imagine a bit. Taste hits me with toffee and caramel up front then leads into hints of dark fruit and maybe some chocolate if I close my eyes and think of willy wonka a bit. Slightly bitter aftertaste. This is a really light "stout" maybe it's appropriate for the scorching heat they normally see in Belize. I found it rather pedestrian while sampling from NH in the 65 degree heat. Medium body and carbonation level, thin watery mouthfeel. I hate to hate on this, but as a stout this is not all that great. Compared to the light lagers available in Belize I would naturally chose this one as I am a stout head I love the dark malts. Compared to other stouts this one would rank pretty low in my book.

3.3/5  rDev -1.8%

Belikin Stout from Belize Brewing Co., Ltd.