Belikin Beer - Belize Brewing Co., Ltd.

Belikin BeerBelikin Beer

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 111 | Reviews: 47
Reviews by Kemmerlin:
2.9/5  rDev -2.4%

A: poured a thick white quickly diminishing head light yellow color and lots of carbonation.
S: sour lager yeast and light malt smells with no distinct hop aroma.
T: tastes like the usual American lager with a little sourness working in. Definitely uses corn or rice fillers and no distinct hop flavor.
M/D: light and watery feel with lots of carbonation. Drinkability is good if you like budweiser and similar beers but it's not my style so it's harder to drink.

2.73/5  rDev -8.1%

Pours an average BMC looking head and body. Half finger of white foam and a crystal clear ultra pale body. A ring of lacing remain and not much else.

Smells of sweet corn and grainy malt. Touch of fruity hops and lager yeasty smells.

Tastes like what you would expect. Grainy, sweet and some fruity and grassy hops. As this warms some more grainy malts come out and not in a good way.

Thin body and low carbonation make this quaffable on a hot summer day.

Overall this is a refreshing and simple beer. Not something I'd buy but I doubt I'll get the chance to anyways.

Thanks Bryan for bringing this back.

2.61/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Drank a lot of this on vacation but I would stick with the stout. This didn't have any kick.

2.44/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Decent gold colour. Brought in by a tourist, its OK. You could no worse. Dry and light. A bit bitter. Middle of the road. Carbonation does not add to score, maybe makes it more popular. Mild skunk aroma apparently is common. This is as good as it gets, folks, as it was brewed within the last month.

I travelled to Belize for Spring Break in 2013, I drank quite a few Belikin Beers while I was there to say the least. Unlike most of the surrounding countries whose main beers are American Adjunct style this splendid little beer is a pale lager. It pours light golden, little head, it has a somewhat strong aroma, and has light hops taste. The bottle is pretty cool in itself, pretty heavy duty, because they recycle most of the class bottles continuously.

Belize City/Punta Gorda/San Ignacio March 2013

2.26/5  rDev -23.9%

2 Belizian dollars gets you a 10 oz. pour.

A- looks like most shit creek lagers of central america. Cat urine color with a head that falls off quick.

S- Yeasty smell and some wet dog. Could have been an old keg or uncleaned keg. Bottle was nicer.

M- not much of any mouth feel to speak of. It is designed to slam on a hot tropical day.

D- I can not imagine drinking this beer out side of the tropical heaven that is central america.

From Mexico to Argentina, this beer ranks some where in the middle of overall lagers.
Think hot day and you would drink anything that resembles beer.

3.17/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured into a glass from a thick green capped bottle holding an odd 284 ml. Pours golden straw with a light bubbly head, offering short retention yet some light lacing as a surface cap can be regenerated with a light spin.

Lots of corny adjuncts on the nose yet somewhat inviting given the deeper malt structure. A somewhat rich nose with a muddled hop presence. Another tropical brew that celebrates the maize.

Taste is rather sweet yet robust enough in complexity, particularly on the finish. Decent feel with a good level of carbonation throughout the glass. Holds up to a bit of warming. Average drinkability given that the beer might become somewhat cloying if sessioned from the simple sweetness offered.

3.68/5  rDev +23.9%

Ahhh, the first of both bottles I managed to bring back with me from a cruise that took us through the beautiful country of Belize!

A- The initial pour produces a chill hazed grassy colored brew, that shows off plenty of carbonation. The head is quite impressive, starting off about two fingers thick, and quickly settling down to a half inch frothy layer over the beer. There is some lacing...actually much better than I would have initially imagined, leaving traces of patchy foam clinging to my Peroni glass. Decent looking for an AAL!

S- There is some malt sweetness mixed in with the expected grainy, grassy aromas. Also, there is some pleasant hop bitterness right on the finish that actually makes this smell like something of substance!

T- Yup, I'd have to agree with another reviewer here that there is some floral/herbal notes within the flavor. Along with this, there is some malt blended with cleaner adjuncts...rice in particular. The finish is of moderate hop bitterness, and interestingly enough, the flavor takes on a honeyed quality after the swallow as the carbonation pops on the palate. Quite nice overall!

M- Light bodied, which should be expected for this style, but also because of where it comes from. The carbonation is plentiful and palate scrubbing but not offensive. Overall, this area is exactly what I thought it should be....

O- All in all I feel that this is a very decent lager! Its better than most standard fare and I think it is a perfect hot weather beach beer, as I had the pleasure of enjoying in that exact scenario! Flavorful, thirst quenching and overall an appealing brew! Cheers!

3.2/5  rDev +7.7%

Thanks to E&K for bringing back this surprise central american beer! Serendipitous 01OCT11 date on the bottle. "Brewery Fresh"

Poured out of a 284mL bottle into a wine glass.
Pale straw gold color, thin layer of white foam, about a quarter inch in width. Fizzy foam lasts for a few minutes, eventually fading to a thin island of skim floating in the center.

Wet barley, honey, hint of grassiness. Pretty plain and nondescript, thankfully no off notes.

Taking a few swigs, it's surprisingly bitter and grassy. Some cracker and honey notes, very brief flavors with a drying finish. Fairly effervescent and crisp. Clean and dry, simple beery flavors, take it or leave it. In the sweltering heat of the tropics, this beer has to be a godsend.

3.08/5  rDev +3.7%

12 ounce bottle, it's stamped with 1/10/08 on it, I have no idea if it's the best by or bottled on date. It was stored in a cooler/"beer cave" (Party Source, Bellevue, KY), so the beer should be in good shape. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a straw gold color with a half inch white head. Lacing and head retention are both average. It smells like sweet malt and grain/corn. Not much else in the aroma of this beer, and there aren't any hops at all that I can notice. The taste is the same as the aroma, sweet malt and grain/corn. On the bright side, there aren't any offensive aromas or tastes to this beer. Mouthfeel/body is light, but it's not watery either. Drinkability is good, because it's not offensive I could have quite a few of these. I'd rather drink this than Miller Lite or Coors Light, that's for sure. Yeah, it's not a great beer (or even good), but you could certainly do worse. For the style it's not bad at all.

1.86/5  rDev -37.4%

Appearance- Body was a very clear, ligt gold or straw color. Decent head which was very white. Some head retention. Absolutely no lacing at all.

Aroma- Mostly sour-mash with some canned corn aroma. Some faint pilsner hops in the background.

Taste- Bleah. I think I'm going to cmmit alcohol abuse. Has a strong grainy/husky taste. The bittering hops really clash to. No malt sweetness. The taste is very thin. I would barely rate this as beer.

Mouthfeel- Body is quite thin. Carbonation levle is okay, but also very thin.

Drinkability- Glad I didn't buy a sixer.

2.16/5  rDev -27.3%

American Adjunct Lager just sounds bad, and this is properly classified as such. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 05/21/2009.

Pale golden yellow on the pour with a nice little white head that quickly faded back into nothing and left a well carbonated and very clear liquid in front on me. No smell, wet hay maybe, but really faint with a musky, moldy like touch to it. Same could be said for the flavor which was a mess to be honest. Light, off balance, and grainy. Your classic macro. No body at all, over carbonated and just bland.

Overall it was just way too light, lack of depth and character and just overall not for me. I would steer clear of this.

3.2/5  rDev +7.7%

Pretty much like an American macro -- although with a little more body and hp presence.

ALthough a self-proclaimed beer snob, I found drinking the beer enjoyable (obviously because of the lack of alternatives) primarily because of the heat and the freshness of the beer.

Yes, freshness matters -- especially when you are drinking macro lagers

Pours a deep gold with a white head. Head falls to nothing. Very thin lace.

Sweet corn and malt aroma. Bit of a sour, musty smell.

Macro lager taste. Rather sweet malts and grains. Bit funky, not in a good way.

Rather thin in the mouth, maybe a bit more body that I would have thought.

Average tropical lager. Has it's own unique flavor but nothing special here. Works fine on a hot day though.

2.15/5  rDev -27.6%

Poured this 12 oz. brown bottle into a nonic glass. Dated: 27/Dec/05, I assume this means "bottled on" this date. Purchased this at Liquor Barn in Louisville. Bottle does not look like the one pictured, but looks like the bottle pictured with the Belikin Premium. The one I am reviewing says "Beer" on the neck not "Premium" as on the Belikin Premium.

Body was a clear gold/yellow color. Minimal head was achieved despite a vigorous pour. A thin film of weak white bubbles remained. Almost no carbonation rose to the top.

Smell was vegetal and faint pilsner hops. A mild herbal smell remained.

Taste was rather transparent. Lager flavor falls a little flat. This one hints at some pils-like huskiness. It is not terrible and I can see it being refreshing in the climate of Belize. I would gladly drink it again--if I were drinking it in Belize.

Mouthfeel was pretty thin and mildly carbonated.

3.03/5  rDev +2%

This was the official beer of my honeymoon for the simple reason that my wife and I chose to vacation in Belize. Belize has only one brewery and this is the official beer of the entire country. The Mayan temple (Altun Ha) is visible absolutely everywhere in the country, attached to bar and restaurant signs on every street in every town, billboards, and just about everything else. There is no competition.

Bland color, no head. Corny, nothing, smell. Grainy, slightly bitter taste. Mouthfeel is smooth and mild. I drank dozens of these in the jungle and beach heat so I'd have to say it's drinkable.

As you might expect, no competition does not a great beer make. Due to the circumstances, I'll always have a fondness for it if I should ever see it Stateside but I cannot recommend this generic macrononsense.

2.77/5  rDev -6.7%

When in Belize try the local brew. Poured from the bottle to a normal, but clean drink glass. Light yellow in color about a 4 on the SRM beer color chart. A one finger head of white foam, with a wispy lace that had moderate cling. Smell was that of cereal grain and malt. Taste was that of corn, wheat, rice, and malt. There was just a slight flavor of hops. Mouthfeel was sort of mild creaminess with moderate tingle, refreshing, not dry. I would make sure I drink this beer again when I travel to Belize, but I will not spend any money or effort to try and find it elsewhere.

This one, as far as I know, isn't yet available in the Durham/Raleigh, but it may be soon. I was given this sample bottle by a local distributor's rep.

It pours a light golden with a short-lived head of lean white bubbles. They don't last long, but a few cling to the edge of the glass for the duration, which is a tad impressive for the style. There's not much of an aroma here; it's just a bit of grain with a subtle hint of fruitiness and corn. Corn certainly is noticeable in the flavor, with nearly every other character taking a distant back seat. A bit of sweetness occurs on the front. Oddly, there is a bit of body here, and the finish is strangely satisfying, especially as the warming alcohol lingers. This isn't something I expected. Average, all around.

3.7/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was very surprised by this Belizian lager! The beer is very fresh and smooth. It has a normal lager aroma, nothing out of the ordinary, normal amounts of carbonation, head. Where this beer truly surprised me was the extra smooth taste. It seems to be brewed with pure water and has a sort of a sweet taste to it. I found myself finishing this bottle in just a few minutes! This beer is definitely a surprise! Pick one up.

2.83/5  rDev -4.7%

Smells like any other generic American beer that's mass produced, honestly. There aren't many particular points about it.

The taste starts off tasting like a generic macro, like a Coors Light. Nothing special there. This leads to a pretty substantial graininess that is appreciated...with a somewhat medicinal, off-putting bitterness on the finish that isn't all that pleasant. I'd rather they put zero hops in a beer than that, it just didn't seem natural.

The verdict is that it's no worse than any macro you'll find in the USA.

2.98/5  rDev +0.3%

Recently had this and took notes (yes, I am a true beer geek) while on a cruise. I wasn't expecting to land on the resort island and get a new brew to try in Belize.

A 12 ounce bottle poured into a glass reveals a fairly standard lager appearence with a decent amount of head. My first sip of this brew was a nice relief from the mostly boring, bland beers of Mexico. Belikin has a very caramelly taste up front that fades to more less a standard macro lager flavor in the end. Kind of reminded me of a Vienna Lager, but the balance was somewhat off. Unfortunately, the excessive caramel sweetness that nails the palatte up front starts to get old after just a couple of these. Not a terrible brew, but defenitely not something I would choose if I went back to Belize again.

2.2/5  rDev -25.9%

Typical of the style but without the bad flavor. Pretty tasteless. Still smooth and refreshing.
The slightest notes of hops and cheap malts but the adjuncts are better hidden than some others of this style. I suppose if paired properly with food and atmospere this drink could be better enjoyed, but it left me unimpressed.

3.57/5  rDev +20.2%

I recently sampled this beer quite heavily while on a cruise vacation stop in Belize. My friends and I found a quaint little restaurant right on the water and drank on this for a couple of hours. This is a beer I could really get used to. It has a pleasant hoppy aroma true to the style and the taste was only average but tolerable. The best part about this beer is that is incerdibly easy to drink. I must have had like 6 by myself, which made the walk in the heat a bit difficult. BTW, is this beer available at all in the states?

2.68/5  rDev -9.8%

Enjoyed a couple of these after a day of Cave Tubing.
Strange little bottle that looks like a 12oz bottle but is marked 260ml which roughly equates to 9oz. If you look closely the glass in the bottle is really thick, apparently glass is cheaper than beer in Belize. Anyhow.
Pours a pale fizzy yellow with a bubbly white head that dissipates quickly. Smells of light grains, corn, dms. Not all that appealing. Taste is much the same. Fizzy and bubbly mouthfeel and carbonation level, light body. This was probably my least favorite light lager of my trip. Serve it ice cold, pound it straight out of the bottle and its thirst quenching, but lacked just about everything in taste. Stick with the Belikin Premium which is much better.

3.22/5  rDev +8.4%

A - Poured out a clear, pale, straw-yellow color with a small, short-lived head of fizzy white head. It left little to no lacing.

S - It smelled of caramel, grains and floral notes.

T - It tasted of sweet caramel with grains and bread crust. There is a subtle bitterness.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A light bodied lager with a clean finish.

O - This is a nice lager. I'm glad I finally got to try it.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Belikin Beer from Belize Brewing Co., Ltd.