Belikin Beer - Belize Brewing Co., Ltd.

Belikin BeerBelikin Beer

Belize Brewing Co., Ltd.
Belize

American Adjunct Lager |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-09-2003)
4.5/5  rDev +52%

bonbini26, Dec 18, 2011

Yodo, Aug 29, 2014

andy1701, Dec 10, 2013

Not going to lie; this one was probably influenced by the surroundings where I had it. From tropical beaches to dark rainforests, Belikin followed me throughout my week long trip to Belize. A very enjoyable beer that just might lose its charm when consumed stateside.

mscottjohnston, Sep 12, 2013
3.95/5  rDev +33.4%

For an AML this isn't all that bad. And if I were in Belize, I'd look for this one. That said, it's not my thang.

Pours straw pale, nice fluffy head. Looks like a macro lager for sure.

Aroma is straw and non-sweet pear. Bubbly in the nose. Yup, bubbly..

The flavor has a bit of a filminess to it. The pear is the best I can come up with. Not very sweet. Some corn and vegital. Green corn husk.

Again, if in Belize, sure. Distribution is cutting down in Denver so probably won't see this one around much any more.

Mebuzzard, Aug 09, 2011
3.83/5  rDev +29.4%

This is all we drank in belize, but it leaves good memories.

Appearance: yellow beer, bottle is thick and heavier than the average, because they recycle the bottles. nice painted bottles.

Smell: pleasant, lightly floral

Taste: lightly floral, but pleasant

Mouthfeel: well carbonated light bodied.

Overall: a memorable beer, but still an average beer that is just..well different.

hopfiend666, Jul 03, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +26%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was very surprised by this Belizian lager! The beer is very fresh and smooth. It has a normal lager aroma, nothing out of the ordinary, normal amounts of carbonation, head. Where this beer truly surprised me was the extra smooth taste. It seems to be brewed with pure water and has a sort of a sweet taste to it. I found myself finishing this bottle in just a few minutes! This beer is definitely a surprise! Pick one up.

ronniebruner, Mar 07, 2011
3.7/5  rDev +25%

Ahhh, the first of both bottles I managed to bring back with me from a cruise that took us through the beautiful country of Belize!

A- The initial pour produces a chill hazed grassy colored brew, that shows off plenty of carbonation. The head is quite impressive, starting off about two fingers thick, and quickly settling down to a half inch frothy layer over the beer. There is some lacing...actually much better than I would have initially imagined, leaving traces of patchy foam clinging to my Peroni glass. Decent looking for an AAL!

S- There is some malt sweetness mixed in with the expected grainy, grassy aromas. Also, there is some pleasant hop bitterness right on the finish that actually makes this smell like something of substance!

T- Yup, I'd have to agree with another reviewer here that there is some floral/herbal notes within the flavor. Along with this, there is some malt blended with cleaner adjuncts...rice in particular. The finish is of moderate hop bitterness, and interestingly enough, the flavor takes on a honeyed quality after the swallow as the carbonation pops on the palate. Quite nice overall!

M- Light bodied, which should be expected for this style, but also because of where it comes from. The carbonation is plentiful and palate scrubbing but not offensive. Overall, this area is exactly what I thought it should be....

O- All in all I feel that this is a very decent lager! Its better than most standard fare and I think it is a perfect hot weather beach beer, as I had the pleasure of enjoying in that exact scenario! Flavorful, thirst quenching and overall an appealing brew! Cheers!

ChrisCage, Oct 27, 2011
3.6/5  rDev +21.6%

My review is based on the AAL style guidelines.

A: Bright, clear golden yellow color. Poured a 1 finger fizzy white head with some retention to a thin skim. Decanted continually. No lacing.

S: Sweet corn. Slight crackery malt character. Faint hay and grass noble hop aromas.

T: Slightly sweet, very subdued malt character. Mellow noble hops for an even bitter. Clean finish.

M: Light body. Ample carbonation. Crisp, clean and refreshing. Good balance.

D: Good for the style. Nothig wrong; its just such a nondescript style.

Haybeerman, Nov 16, 2010
3.55/5  rDev +19.9%

I recently sampled this beer quite heavily while on a cruise vacation stop in Belize. My friends and I found a quaint little restaurant right on the water and drank on this for a couple of hours. This is a beer I could really get used to. It has a pleasant hoppy aroma true to the style and the taste was only average but tolerable. The best part about this beer is that is incerdibly easy to drink. I must have had like 6 by myself, which made the walk in the heat a bit difficult. BTW, is this beer available at all in the states?

tang214, Apr 06, 2004
3.53/5  rDev +19.3%

Found this brew while on a stop in Belize during our vacation cruise. I had this brew at a few of the stops we made during a tour. Must say that this brew was a welcome change from most of the Mexican brews we experienced during earlier stops. This beer has some character, which was shocking! Has a nice white to off-white head that was gone very fast and lead to hardly any lacing with a golden yellow color. The taste has some hop characteristics to it, which was a pleasant surprise. The taste was a little skunky but not bad compared to most of the other Mexican brews I have experienced. Only thing I can say is that I would love to be back in the Belize sun doing some snorkeling while knowing that I had a few of these waiting for me!

Note: Higher Drinkability due to the conditions!

Stimack, May 09, 2004
3.53/5  rDev +19.3%

Ok, so this isn't an amazing craft beer by any means, but considering I drank this in the middle of the jungle from a grass shack/hut for $1 it was surprisingly good.

A: Looks like bud

S: Dirty bottle and rusty cap made aroma a bit hard to discern.

T: Light, fizzy, but a decent maltiness. No hop aroma, but enough for balance.

M: Fizzy, watery.

D: In the hot jungle... VERY

This won't win any awards, but considering I thought it was a good site better than our American standard mass market lagers I thinks it's A-OK.

HiGravShawn, Mar 12, 2010

addison1203, Apr 08, 2013

Silentraven37, Jan 22, 2012

ZachRusk, Jul 22, 2012

KimenTshom, Jan 01, 2012
3.44/5  rDev +16.2%

Dabel, Jul 26, 2014
3.33/5  rDev +12.5%

Seems more flavorful than the average industrial lager.

Has the coarse big-bubbles look with a quickly-dissipating head. But creamy in the mouth for a quick gulp, which is probably its intended purpose. Light golden in the glass. Surprising herbal flavor that is quite pleasant, given the expectations. Grassy, with a touch of hops. Hint of meadow fragrance. Has a modest charm, and it's good to know they make something in Belize.

Collectors: Belikin now comes in the swell printed-on-the-bottle label (like Rolling Rock). Says "Beer" proudly on the neck.

mactrail, Jun 01, 2011

wborr82, Aug 22, 2013

probert, Sep 04, 2014
3.25/5  rDev +9.8%

A - Poured out a clear, pale, straw-yellow color with a small, short-lived head of fizzy white head. It left little to no lacing.

S - It smelled of caramel, grains and floral notes.

T - It tasted of sweet caramel with grains and bread crust. There is a subtle bitterness.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A light bodied lager with a clean finish.

O - This is a nice lager. I'm glad I finally got to try it.

zeff80, Dec 06, 2012
3.25/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

a- bottle poured into a pint, one plus finger of bright white head, clear light lemon coloring, nice carbonation.

s- adjunct-y, grain, light hops, light lemon, some grass.

t- 'not terrible, surprisingly' - not the most encouraging words to start off a review but thats how i have it transcribed in my notes. still adjunct like but some light hops shine through, lightly bittered, some grain.

m- light but not overly watery.

d- okay, i belize i would drink this again if given the chance - yeah, pun intended.

thecarster1, Aug 03, 2010

searsclone, Mar 16, 2013

Skelton, Jul 30, 2013

Life-Love-Beer, Aug 02, 2014
Belikin Beer from Belize Brewing Co., Ltd.