Belikin Beer - Belize Brewing Co., Ltd.

Belikin BeerBelikin Beer

Belize Brewing Co., Ltd.
Belize

American Adjunct Lager |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-09-2003

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last
3.45/5  rDev +17.7%

Ok, so this isn't an amazing craft beer by any means, but considering I drank this in the middle of the jungle from a grass shack/hut for $1 it was surprisingly good.

A: Looks like bud

S: Dirty bottle and rusty cap made aroma a bit hard to discern.

T: Light, fizzy, but a decent maltiness. No hop aroma, but enough for balance.

M: Fizzy, watery.

D: In the hot jungle... VERY

This won't win any awards, but considering I thought it was a good site better than our American standard mass market lagers I thinks it's A-OK. (527 characters)

Pours a deep gold with a white head. Head falls to nothing. Very thin lace.

Sweet corn and malt aroma. Bit of a sour, musty smell.

Macro lager taste. Rather sweet malts and grains. Bit funky, not in a good way.

Rather thin in the mouth, maybe a bit more body that I would have thought.

Average tropical lager. Has it's own unique flavor but nothing special here. Works fine on a hot day though. (402 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -28.3%

basically another blah island lager. golden color, clear, thin dimishing white head. no smell to note other than a very faint malt and adjunct aroma. slighlty sweet, very little hop character. carbonation is fizzy. the only way this is palatable is if you're somewhere tropical and can't get anything else. (306 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -26.3%

American Adjunct Lager just sounds bad, and this is properly classified as such. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 05/21/2009.

Pale golden yellow on the pour with a nice little white head that quickly faded back into nothing and left a well carbonated and very clear liquid in front on me. No smell, wet hay maybe, but really faint with a musky, moldy like touch to it. Same could be said for the flavor which was a mess to be honest. Light, off balance, and grainy. Your classic macro. No body at all, over carbonated and just bland.

Overall it was just way too light, lack of depth and character and just overall not for me. I would steer clear of this. (690 characters)

3.08/5  rDev +5.1%

12 ounce bottle, it's stamped with 1/10/08 on it, I have no idea if it's the best by or bottled on date. It was stored in a cooler/"beer cave" (Party Source, Bellevue, KY), so the beer should be in good shape. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a straw gold color with a half inch white head. Lacing and head retention are both average. It smells like sweet malt and grain/corn. Not much else in the aroma of this beer, and there aren't any hops at all that I can notice. The taste is the same as the aroma, sweet malt and grain/corn. On the bright side, there aren't any offensive aromas or tastes to this beer. Mouthfeel/body is light, but it's not watery either. Drinkability is good, because it's not offensive I could have quite a few of these. I'd rather drink this than Miller Lite or Coors Light, that's for sure. Yeah, it's not a great beer (or even good), but you could certainly do worse. For the style it's not bad at all. (938 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -26.3%

This is a typical Caribbean light lager modeled after the other North American products. It looks okay, and it's drinkable enough in warm weather. But there isn't much smell, the taste is bland, and the mouthfeel is too thin. If you want to quench your thirst with a local Belizean brew, this is okay. But, don't expect a rich flavor or a satisfying finish. (357 characters)

3.03/5  rDev +3.4%

This was the official beer of my honeymoon for the simple reason that my wife and I chose to vacation in Belize. Belize has only one brewery and this is the official beer of the entire country. The Mayan temple (Altun Ha) is visible absolutely everywhere in the country, attached to bar and restaurant signs on every street in every town, billboards, and just about everything else. There is no competition.

Bland color, no head. Corny, nothing, smell. Grainy, slightly bitter taste. Mouthfeel is smooth and mild. I drank dozens of these in the jungle and beach heat so I'd have to say it's drinkable.

As you might expect, no competition does not a great beer make. Due to the circumstances, I'll always have a fondness for it if I should ever see it Stateside but I cannot recommend this generic macrononsense. (814 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -18.8%

A friend didn't much care for this beer and left the rest of his six-pack in my fridge. It's easy to see why as this is a pretty average brew.

This brew came from a 12 oz brown bottle with freshness date printed on the bottle.

It looks nice enough. Pours a clear golden color with a thin head that quickly vanished and left very little lacing.

There's not too much going on in the smell department. Smells a lot like a bail of hay or corn husks.

Taste is much better than American macros, though that's not hard to achieve. There's still not a lot going on here. What little taste there is doesn't last very long.

This beer is fairly easy to drink. It's very thin and goes down smooth, but it's not really all that interesting.

Don't go out of your way to try this one, but there are certainly worse picks than this. (822 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Macro Smackdown XX (the latest in my unending series of 'mano a mano' contests between macro lagers) could also be called 'The Battle of Central America'. Belikin Beer is the second Belizian that I've had and Regia Extra is the first El Salvadorian. Let's see which one is the most impressive... or the least offensive.

Lucent goldenrod beneath a decent looking crown of ivory colored foam. This beer is both darker and brighter than its hazy competitor, with a head and a lace display that aren't quite as attractive. I'd have to call the appearance portion of the contest a draw.

The nose, thankfully, is inoffensive. It smells no different from legions of other macro lagers: mildly grain-like with a slight corny sweetness. No off-aromas is a good thing. No hops (to speak of) is a not so good thing.

Belikin Beer isn't good, but it isn't horrible either. It's a relatively bland mixture of sweetened grain and musky hops that has a surprising amount of bitterness. Even though I like stouts better than macro lagers, I'd take this stuff over Belikin Stout any day of the week.

Neither one of these mouthfeels is anything to crow about. This one is light and has an okay amount of fizziness that keeps me from calling it lackluster. For the purposes of rehydration, it's more than fine.

It looks like Belikin Beer has kicked Regia Extra's ass from the Atlantic to the Pacific and back again (not a great distance in that part of the world). This is actually a drinkable beer that is really no worse than Budweiser, Miller Genuine Draft or Coors Original. Thanks again T. (1,579 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -36.5%

Appearance- Body was a very clear, ligt gold or straw color. Decent head which was very white. Some head retention. Absolutely no lacing at all.

Aroma- Mostly sour-mash with some canned corn aroma. Some faint pilsner hops in the background.

Taste- Bleah. I think I'm going to cmmit alcohol abuse. Has a strong grainy/husky taste. The bittering hops really clash to. No malt sweetness. The taste is very thin. I would barely rate this as beer.

Mouthfeel- Body is quite thin. Carbonation levle is okay, but also very thin.

Drinkability- Glad I didn't buy a sixer. (573 characters)

1.95/5  rDev -33.4%

We conclude the four-way Golden Invitation with this offering from Central America: Belikin Beer from Belize. Will this brew match up with the competition? Find out now:

Poured from its dark bottle, it looks like the bad stereotype of a fizzy yellow beer, but with a darker body. It's thin head retains almost nothing. The smell is faint with sticky corn sweetness and little else. Now the taste is absolutely make-or-break in terms of giving it a high enough score...(drumroll)...the bitterness from the hops is moderate, and that's as good as I can say about it. This beer is full of corn, and it brings those lovely corn off-flavors we all hate. Did they use ANY malt in this, or replace it all with corn? Not for me, sorry. But it could be a lot worse if the hop flavor were dumbed down. You can forget about anticipating this brew in the final drumroll of the Golden Invitational.

So who won the Golden Invitational? Well, let's announce the winner, and it is....

Golden Pheasant from Bohemia!

The ironically named Golden Pheasant takes the gold in this, the Golden Invitational. Four regions showed off their interpetations of those yellow/golden colored beers, and it feels like I've traveled a long way to taste them. Read my previous reviews to see what you've missed out on. Good night everyone! (1,310 characters)

2.98/5  rDev +1.7%

Recently had this and took notes (yes, I am a true beer geek) while on a cruise. I wasn't expecting to land on the resort island and get a new brew to try in Belize.

A 12 ounce bottle poured into a glass reveals a fairly standard lager appearence with a decent amount of head. My first sip of this brew was a nice relief from the mostly boring, bland beers of Mexico. Belikin has a very caramelly taste up front that fades to more less a standard macro lager flavor in the end. Kind of reminded me of a Vienna Lager, but the balance was somewhat off. Unfortunately, the excessive caramel sweetness that nails the palatte up front starts to get old after just a couple of these. Not a terrible brew, but defenitely not something I would choose if I went back to Belize again. (778 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -26.6%

Poured this 12 oz. brown bottle into a nonic glass. Dated: 27/Dec/05, I assume this means "bottled on" this date. Purchased this at Liquor Barn in Louisville. Bottle does not look like the one pictured, but looks like the bottle pictured with the Belikin Premium. The one I am reviewing says "Beer" on the neck not "Premium" as on the Belikin Premium.

Body was a clear gold/yellow color. Minimal head was achieved despite a vigorous pour. A thin film of weak white bubbles remained. Almost no carbonation rose to the top.

Smell was vegetal and faint pilsner hops. A mild herbal smell remained.

Taste was rather transparent. Lager flavor falls a little flat. This one hints at some pils-like huskiness. It is not terrible and I can see it being refreshing in the climate of Belize. I would gladly drink it again--if I were drinking it in Belize.

Mouthfeel was pretty thin and mildly carbonated. (907 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +5.8%

Had my honeymoon in Belize recently. Belikin is the national beer of Belize and pretty much the only beer you're going to find at local restaurants. Comes in a very cool longneck bottle with distinctive Mayan temple art on the front.

A - light, straw gold. Bright white, tightly compacted, bubbly head. Retreats to a ring quickly, no lacing.

S - aroma of standard American 'premium' macro lagers. A little bit of noble hop spiciness in there, but not much. Aroma is primarily of DMS, corn, some toasty malt notes.

T - moderate to light noble hop bitterness, aftertaste of corn, tart toasted malt. Tastes very similar to regular Coors but with slightly more hop and malt flavor. Has that domestic American lager 'twang.'

M - thin bodied, carbonation medium to medium high. Tingles your tongue a bit.

D - well . . . this is not my favorite style of beer, but when you're in Belize and this is pretty much your only choice for fresh beer, you deal with it. On a hot day, after being at the beach or snorkling, it's not too bad. Refreshing and light. A step up from your standard American macro lager, but not by a leap. If you're going down there, stick to the rum. Belize boasts dozens of locally produced rums which are all excellent. (1,248 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +10.2%

"The Beer of Belize" looks good enough: a decently creamy aspirin-white head tops a pale light-gold liquid. The green bottle shows a Mayan temple, and lists the brewery's stout beer percentage along with the lager's on the back. The head was surprisingly consistent and healthy, small-bubbled and large. The aroma is buttery and sweet, with a good maltiness. The butter note is quite strong, but I did not mind it, because it leads to some butterscotch and candied aromas. Other than some balancing hops, there is little else of note in the smell. Light malt with a little hop dryness at the end describes the flavour profile. Malt predominates in the mouth, and again I get some buttery flavours. The aftertaste is decent enough: fresh graininess, a lack of any adjunct taste, and a hint of dusty hops. Mouthfeel is a little watery, but still, the body is medium, and the carbonation is rather low, increasing Belikin's drinkability. Not exceptionally rewarding, but this is worth trying at least once. (1,003 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Decent gold colour. Brought in by a tourist, its OK. You could no worse. Dry and light. A bit bitter. Middle of the road. Carbonation does not add to score, maybe makes it more popular. Mild skunk aroma apparently is common. This is as good as it gets, folks, as it was brewed within the last month. (299 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +9.2%

Pretty much like an American macro -- although with a little more body and hp presence.

ALthough a self-proclaimed beer snob, I found drinking the beer enjoyable (obviously because of the lack of alternatives) primarily because of the heat and the freshness of the beer.

Yes, freshness matters -- especially when you are drinking macro lagers (348 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -30.7%

I sampled this recently while on a cruise to Belize. (Surprise!) Unlike most other reviews though, I found this to be a sub-par brew in all respects. I would have enjoyed a Bud better to be quite honest. I think they are catering to the Western hemisphere style of Lager to be honest.

Poured weak with little aroma or head. The taste was quite frankly like urine. it didn't get better. I don't really have anything positive to say about this bier except that the cousin stout this brewery makes is at leastdrinkable.

Pass...

John (538 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +19.5%

Found this brew while on a stop in Belize during our vacation cruise. I had this brew at a few of the stops we made during a tour. Must say that this brew was a welcome change from most of the Mexican brews we experienced during earlier stops. This beer has some character, which was shocking! Has a nice white to off-white head that was gone very fast and lead to hardly any lacing with a golden yellow color. The taste has some hop characteristics to it, which was a pleasant surprise. The taste was a little skunky but not bad compared to most of the other Mexican brews I have experienced. Only thing I can say is that I would love to be back in the Belize sun doing some snorkeling while knowing that I had a few of these waiting for me!

Note: Higher Drinkability due to the conditions! (794 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +21.8%

I recently sampled this beer quite heavily while on a cruise vacation stop in Belize. My friends and I found a quaint little restaurant right on the water and drank on this for a couple of hours. This is a beer I could really get used to. It has a pleasant hoppy aroma true to the style and the taste was only average but tolerable. The best part about this beer is that is incerdibly easy to drink. I must have had like 6 by myself, which made the walk in the heat a bit difficult. BTW, is this beer available at all in the states? (532 characters)

2.98/5  rDev +1.7%

Presentation: Brown recycled bottle with a “Mayan Temple” on the label. Bottle cap is green indicating it is a lager and not a stout (blue).
The brew is a yellow/gold color with a respectable amount of effervescence. Nice head that quickly dies. Slippery lace. Light – no strong character, but drinkable without a funky aftertaste. Smell is a little skunky, and somewhat hoppy.
A bartender I spoke with said that Belikin is the best beer in Central America. The brewery is said to have hired a German brew meister to perfect their product. (546 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last
Belikin Beer from Belize Brewing Co., Ltd.