Little Kings Cream Ale - Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.

Little Kings Cream AleLittle Kings Cream Ale

good

Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Cream Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 08-19-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Little Kings Cream Ale Alström Bros

4.9/5  rDev +61.2%

Appearance - Pours a clear golden color with a VERY thin head that dissipates instantly. Has a creamy-like lacing.

Smell - Coriander for sure.. Sweet with notes of bread, corn, and cream soda.

Taste - Quite bitter.. Has a grassy flavor and corn, with a slight hint of caramel. The creamy aftertaste is real good.

Mouthfeel - Thick bodied with moderate carbonation.

Overall - I was a little skeptical at first trying a cream ale.. turns out I love it.

4.5/5  rDev +48%

4.5/5  rDev +48%

4.47/5  rDev +47%

Has a sweet flavor and has won several awards. I like the 7 oz bottle for some reason. I give it an A because it is unique. I wouldn't drink it every day, but like it for the winter time, or even as a quick beer to sip with dinner.

Not sure I've had any other cream ales, but I brewed a Little Kings clone one time, that didn't turn out good, so I recommend to just buy it.

4.25/5  rDev +39.8%

4.24/5  rDev +39.5%

4.2/5  rDev +38.2%

4.13/5  rDev +35.9%

I picked an 8-pack of these up a few weeks ago at Spec's when I saw it back on the shelf after a LONG TIME being gone...like 10 years or so. You don't get too many cream ales in these here parts, so I thought that I would give it a try. I am pouring two bottles into my 0.5l glass stein for review.

Appearance: Pours a very clear yellow golden color with a small head of tight white bubbles sitting on top maintained by a number of bubbles rising. Even a few minutes after the pour, there is still a head on top of it. Even ten minutes after the pour, there was still a very creamy head standing on top.

Aroma: I initially got a good bit of corn and other malts in there along with some fresh floral hops. Even though the beer is in a green bottle, it doesn't smell like it has been light struck. As the beer warms up some, the hops is starting to come out more and the malt is also taking on a more honey-like profile.

Taste: The flavor is also very clean and balanced toward the malt in the finish. There is some evident hops in the flavor, but they fade pretty quickly to let the malt lead the way into the finish. The overall mouthfeel is really creamy with lots of carbonation so that it leaves a defined mark on your palate on the way by. The beer is light to medium bodied even though it stays pretty crisp all the way through. It has an interesting mouthfeel overall.

Opinion: This is a pretty good beer, and a good example of the style. I haven't minded drinking this 8-pack even a little bit. That said, I probably wouldn't drink this beer more than a few times a year, but I would certainly drink it again regularly. I would recommend it and hope that you get to try one that is as fresh as this one I am drinking now.

4.08/5  rDev +34.2%

Poured into a Samuel Adams Lager Glass.

A=Rather appealing rich straw gold with a slight (1/4") head for a minute or so.

S=Light smell of hops.

T=Very sweet--too sweet at the start--with the corn flavoring presence. But rather enjoyable near the end.

M=Neither too light or heavy...perhaps a bit lighter than I like.

D=Again, one needs to stick with this to the end...the 7 oz. serving makes it easier.

Good for a quick beer after a hot day--reminds me of the Old Styles and Old Milwaukees my dad used to drink.

4.08/5  rDev +34.2%

Pours a clear gloden straw hue, with a creamy two finger head. Good retention and light, spotty lacing. Light-struck aroma with background Pilsener malt, slight DMS aroma, and a hint of sulfer yeast. Sweet pale malt and mild dextrins upfront, with some sharp Pils and sweet corn notes. Drying aftertaste with a suggestion of spicy Tettnanger or Saaz hop flavor. Despite some distracting skunk taste, this shows balanced bitterness with a genuine pre-prohibition Pils malt character. The mouthfeel aids this effect with a gentle but ample carbonation and a light body that retains some sweetness and creamy texture. Goes down very smooth and highly quaffable, esecially given the smaller bottle. In the heat of summer, this would be my first choice for lunch out on the patio.

Very first beer I ever drank and hooked ever since.

great sunrise golden color

Smooth, slight sweet fruity action on the end

All and all as good as I remember.

3.98/5  rDev +30.9%

"Not Recomended" ??? Awww, c'mon, guys. This may not be the best beer in the world, but it's a good, clean, crisp beer that goes down easy. I used to buy these in the cute little 7-ounce bottles when I lived in Denver, and I could knock down ten of 'em on a hot Summer afternoon! A bit on the light side, but that's what made them so easy to knock off! And with those nifty little bottles, they never go flat or get warm. I wish I could buy them where I now live, in Arizona!

3.9/5  rDev +28.3%

(Served in a tulip sampler size glass) The 7 oz. bottle filled up the glass.
A- The crystal clear golden yellow hued body had a sea of microbubbles popping up to the surface. The head was a lumpy snow-white that last for the full beer.
S- The green licorice aroma was soft with a slight sweetness that fades into a field corn aroma with the sweetness growing a bit in the finish.
T- The soft taste of cereal had a sulfury sweetness to follow and some soft hops in the finish with a slight berry quality. As the beer warms there was a slight cream quality to the dry cereal taste.
M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a creamy fizz in the finish.
D- This beer was clean and light but had some interesting depth to the flavors that were there. It went down smooth and didn't really have one flavor that overpowered any other flavor. It's to bad it was a 7oz. bottle as I could have drank a whole 12 oz. in one session.

3.85/5  rDev +26.6%

Had not had this in about twenty-five or so years.Picked up an eight pack to see if it might bring back so old memories, it did most of them not to bad but I understood why it had been so long.To sum it up I'll call this one a mass quantity beer as compared to a quality brew.Not really all that bad but it's amazing the stuff I used to put away as compared to now.

Little Kings Cream Ale from Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.