Little Kings Cream Ale - Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.

Little Kings Cream AleLittle Kings Cream Ale

good

Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Cream Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 08-19-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Little Kings Cream Ale Alström Bros
4.9/5  rDev +64.4%

Appearance - Pours a clear golden color with a VERY thin head that dissipates instantly. Has a creamy-like lacing.

Smell - Coriander for sure.. Sweet with notes of bread, corn, and cream soda.

Taste - Quite bitter.. Has a grassy flavor and corn, with a slight hint of caramel. The creamy aftertaste is real good.

Mouthfeel - Thick bodied with moderate carbonation.

Overall - I was a little skeptical at first trying a cream ale.. turns out I love it. (454 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +49.3%

Has a sweet flavor and has won several awards. I like the 7 oz bottle for some reason. I give it an A because it is unique. I wouldn't drink it every day, but like it for the winter time, or even as a quick beer to sip with dinner.

Not sure I've had any other cream ales, but I brewed a Little Kings clone one time, that didn't turn out good, so I recommend to just buy it. (374 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +38.6%

I picked an 8-pack of these up a few weeks ago at Spec's when I saw it back on the shelf after a LONG TIME being gone...like 10 years or so. You don't get too many cream ales in these here parts, so I thought that I would give it a try. I am pouring two bottles into my 0.5l glass stein for review.

Appearance: Pours a very clear yellow golden color with a small head of tight white bubbles sitting on top maintained by a number of bubbles rising. Even a few minutes after the pour, there is still a head on top of it. Even ten minutes after the pour, there was still a very creamy head standing on top.

Aroma: I initially got a good bit of corn and other malts in there along with some fresh floral hops. Even though the beer is in a green bottle, it doesn't smell like it has been light struck. As the beer warms up some, the hops is starting to come out more and the malt is also taking on a more honey-like profile.

Taste: The flavor is also very clean and balanced toward the malt in the finish. There is some evident hops in the flavor, but they fade pretty quickly to let the malt lead the way into the finish. The overall mouthfeel is really creamy with lots of carbonation so that it leaves a defined mark on your palate on the way by. The beer is light to medium bodied even though it stays pretty crisp all the way through. It has an interesting mouthfeel overall.

Opinion: This is a pretty good beer, and a good example of the style. I haven't minded drinking this 8-pack even a little bit. That said, I probably wouldn't drink this beer more than a few times a year, but I would certainly drink it again regularly. I would recommend it and hope that you get to try one that is as fresh as this one I am drinking now. (1,733 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +36.9%

Poured into a Samuel Adams Lager Glass.

A=Rather appealing rich straw gold with a slight (1/4") head for a minute or so.

S=Light smell of hops.

T=Very sweet--too sweet at the start--with the corn flavoring presence. But rather enjoyable near the end.

M=Neither too light or heavy...perhaps a bit lighter than I like.

D=Again, one needs to stick with this to the end...the 7 oz. serving makes it easier.

Good for a quick beer after a hot day--reminds me of the Old Styles and Old Milwaukees my dad used to drink. (517 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +36.6%

Pours a clear gloden straw hue, with a creamy two finger head. Good retention and light, spotty lacing. Light-struck aroma with background Pilsener malt, slight DMS aroma, and a hint of sulfer yeast. Sweet pale malt and mild dextrins upfront, with some sharp Pils and sweet corn notes. Drying aftertaste with a suggestion of spicy Tettnanger or Saaz hop flavor. Despite some distracting skunk taste, this shows balanced bitterness with a genuine pre-prohibition Pils malt character. The mouthfeel aids this effect with a gentle but ample carbonation and a light body that retains some sweetness and creamy texture. Goes down very smooth and highly quaffable, esecially given the smaller bottle. In the heat of summer, this would be my first choice for lunch out on the patio. (775 characters)

Very first beer I ever drank and hooked ever since.

great sunrise golden color

Smooth, slight sweet fruity action on the end

All and all as good as I remember. (162 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +31.9%

"Not Recomended" ??? Awww, c'mon, guys. This may not be the best beer in the world, but it's a good, clean, crisp beer that goes down easy. I used to buy these in the cute little 7-ounce bottles when I lived in Denver, and I could knock down ten of 'em on a hot Summer afternoon! A bit on the light side, but that's what made them so easy to knock off! And with those nifty little bottles, they never go flat or get warm. I wish I could buy them where I now live, in Arizona! (475 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +30.2%

(Served in a tulip sampler size glass) The 7 oz. bottle filled up the glass.
A- The crystal clear golden yellow hued body had a sea of microbubbles popping up to the surface. The head was a lumpy snow-white that last for the full beer.
S- The green licorice aroma was soft with a slight sweetness that fades into a field corn aroma with the sweetness growing a bit in the finish.
T- The soft taste of cereal had a sulfury sweetness to follow and some soft hops in the finish with a slight berry quality. As the beer warms there was a slight cream quality to the dry cereal taste.
M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a creamy fizz in the finish.
D- This beer was clean and light but had some interesting depth to the flavors that were there. It went down smooth and didn't really have one flavor that overpowered any other flavor. It's to bad it was a 7oz. bottle as I could have drank a whole 12 oz. in one session. (924 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +29.9%

Had not had this in about twenty-five or so years.Picked up an eight pack to see if it might bring back so old memories, it did most of them not to bad but I understood why it had been so long.To sum it up I'll call this one a mass quantity beer as compared to a quality brew.Not really all that bad but it's amazing the stuff I used to put away as compared to now. (365 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +28.5%

Poured from the mini-bottle into a pint glass, beer is a clear, yellow-golden color with a sparkling white head and a stream of bubbles rising from the depths of the glass. The smell has a distinct sweetness about it, sort of a vanilla-banana mixed with a sweet liquor smell. The taste has a bit of corn adjunct to it, but other than that a slightly sweet maltyness that has a creamy mouthfeel and a crisp, slightly dry finish. Overall, I think this is a pretty decent beer; better than the average swill for sure. (514 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +26.8%

Served in a Gale Sayers shaker pint glass.

What a cute wittwe bottwe! It pours a clear pale copper topped by a finger of white froth. The nose comprises flowers, wheat, lemongrass, and a pinch of powdered sugar. The taste holds notes of wheat, grass, flowers, light vanilla, and a touch of cream cheese. The body is rather light, with a light carbonation and a slightly watery feel. Overall, a nice little cream ale. Well worth the minuscule price tag, considering how easy it is to drink. (490 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +26.8%

A - Pale gold in color, initial head was very foamy and about one fingers worth. This quickly diminished little less than a faint film.
S - Very clean and malty with some vegetal notes
T/M - Light to medium body with carbonation to match...flavors are light and pleasant. No hop bitterness to speak of...there are some very low level esters in the apple/pear range.

A very drinkable beer, and a decent representation of the style. (432 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +25.2%

Little Kings - saw this on sale at HEB and decided to grab one

Appearance - A beautiful orange/carmel color that looks thing almost like hard liquor

Smell - A mild but delicious cream scent that hits you after the inital hops

Taste - A very clear but light cream flavor. Almost not beer like except for the good hops that came aftertaste. I just wish it was a bit more to it

Mouthfeel - Enough carbonation but I really wish it had some more to it, the head is almost nonexistant

Overall - Autumn or Spring beer that is almost a daily drinker (546 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a lager glass. Pours a light copper color, With a very small head that disappears within seconds leaving very feint lacing. Smell is STRONGLY of butterscotch, Which is perfect for me seeing as it is one of my favorite flavorings. The taste somewhat follows the smell, Butterscotch with a small amount of Adjunct coming through, Though the butterscotch stay's dominant. The mouthfeel was really the only thing that disappointed me about this beer. Very slight notes of butterscotch in the mouthfeel, Followed by a strong cooked corn Adjunct flavor and a strong almost unfathomable metallic taste on the tongue and in the throat. Though the butterscotch somewhat save's the mouthfeel from getting a very low rating and it prevails in the end (765 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +24.2%

Reviewed form notes. Enjoyed many times over the years, reviewed here for the first time. Little 7oz bottle poured into pilsner glass pours a straw yellow with a fluffy half inch head. Funky smell of sourdough and corn with a bit of yeast. Taste isn't funky at all for a green glass bottle however it does have a distinctive funky smell which is more akin to an american adjunct lager then a cream ale, but the taste is smooth and clean with a good mix of the usual corn, biscuity sourdough and a mellow hop in there as well. Not as creamy as Genesee's Cream Ale, but smooth and very drinkable nonetheless.The other remarkable thing is that at 5.5% abv over the course of blowing through the 7oz bottles in a session the alcohol can definitely become apparent for this stinky lil lovely that is always great with pizza. I've had this in the new 12oz Red Bull like cans which actually is a little more cleaned up and less funky, but not nearly as enjoyable as the green glass which adds funk instead of skunk, but only in the smell department. Great price too for either bottles or cans. Hope this stays in production again for years to come (1,140 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +23.5%

Little Kings Original Cream Ale is an unusual beer. It has a minimal, white head and a very clear, golden appearance with lots of little bubbles streaming up and some lacing left behind. The aroma is light, but some malty smell and a strange olive oil (to me) aspect is detected. Taste is likewise malty, with some slight hop bitterness across the sip, with again that odd olive oil flavor. The body is medium, and Little Kings Original Cream Ale finishes crisp and refreshing. Drinkability is not terribly high and it’s more of a sipper, really. Even with it’s strange presentation, I did like it and recommend giving it a chance.

RJT (641 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Little Kings Cream Ale brewed by Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co. This brew is something the old timers talk about a lot- so I had to try it out. This brew has an ABV of 5.5 and it pours out a dark amber color. This brew is darker than your American style lager. Little Kings has a small white head that goes away fast. Now keep in mind this beer is in a 7 oz bottle. The smell is strong and bold with flavor. The taste is bold with flavor. I like how this brew is bold with flavor but it goes down crisp and refreshing. Mouth feel is good this brew smooth. Over all I giving this brew a 4 out 5. I'm really impressed with this brew. I will get this again. (655 characters)

3.61/5  rDev +21.1%

7 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Little 7 oz bottle.... cute, poured a deep yellow color with a fingers worth of head that settled to a ring. Visible carbonation and pretty nice lacing.

S: Sweet smelling malts, no hops that I can smell... But I'm the getting a grainy sweet smells of corn.

T: Sweet malt, just a small touch of hops... Finish is clean and sweet. Simple but works well.

M: Medium bodied, smooth and creamy. Very nice.

D: It is simple small and pretty good tastings.. 5.5 and 7oz...A good session beer... Just wish it came in a bigger bottle. (566 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This may be the very first beer I drank as a high school kid. The beer was served cold. I drank a few back to back from the bottle. I also served a couple in a pint glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a clear golden yellow coloration. The head was a white coloration. The head quickly resolved itself to a ring of foam.

Smell: The beers aroma reminds me of honey and corn. The beer vaguely smells earthy skunky. (Note this beer is definately not skunked.)

Taste: The beer has a grain malty flavor up front. A vague mineral earthyness breaks up the sweetness. Not alot going on here.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The beer has a light body and is well carbonated. The drinkability is pretty high. I drank 4 of these while typing this review. (739 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +20.1%

I found a sixer of this in Tulsa OK, and I had never heard of it so I picked it up, however these were 12oz bottles not the 7ozers like people have been describing. Anyway I was kind of weary of this beer when I took a wiff, it had the smell of a 40oz of OE, however after the first taste I knew that I had nothing to worry about. I rather enjoyed this beer. I usually opt for the darker beers, but I will drink anything however this was suprising. The appearance was light with a white head that left some lace and the taste was nice and light with a big mouthfeel on the back of the tongue. It does have a nice creamy feel to it and I highly recommend this to anyone who likes a nice creamy beer. (698 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +20.1%

Poured from a 7 OZ bottle golden yellow. Smells of Grain and Corn sort of sweet. Taste is sweet with a hint of bitterness. Very Refreshing in your mouth. This is a really a nice retro Beer and I have finished off a case of 7 oz bottles in three days. I find this beer to be a very nice session beer and very enjoyable. Give it a try it sure surprised me. (354 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Deviated from craft a little bit with this one and was so glad that I did. Was blown away by how well this stood up to other beers in the industry today. This retro brand still has it! And believe it or not this won a GABF medal in the past. (244 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +19.8%

I have a history with this beer.

It was a warm summertime twilight, the last time I felt like a kid. I was barely 17, my first summer out of high school. Dad took me and my sister and a pair of our friends all the way to Ohio to visit Cedar Point, the rollercoasteryest theme park in the entire goddamn world. Seven hour drive but it was strangely happy. No fights, even in the heat. Not that we were too old to fight; we were too excited.

We got there and we were kids, finally. Never had the money for theme parks when we were really little. In the backyard, the little pricks up the street wore their damn Mickey Mouse ears for almost two weeks after they got back. We hated them, and it was jealousy. They didn't deserve it.

But, fuckit, we went there! We spent two days at the best theme park in the world. I ate nothing but cotton candy and cheated so I could ride the Millennium Force twice within a span of 15 minutes. I almost blacked out. It was awesome.

And now, this night, we were tired. Two days of sun, walking all over, getting blown violently through space two or three times an hour. We were going to a new hotel, slightly closer to home, but first... a mysterious destination. Port Clinton, Ohio. An island about twenty city blocks long and twelve wide, right in the middle of a big fucking lake that we had to take a jet powered ferry to get to. I had never been on a boat before. My hair flew back, the white streaks of foam beneath me, and I knew I would die if I fell in, but I knew I would never let go of the railing.

Here we were, on a small island consisting of nothing but bars, pizza places, and a giant lighthouse that was the site of the world's first ship to shore radio broadcast. A-and they had world's longest bar, too. There was even a plaque to prove it!

I couldn't drink at the bars. I was too young to want to. I wanted pizza, soda pop. Drinking beer was what you did behind a shed or at the home of a really poor kid whose parents were too drunk to care.

Noise everywhere. Downwind of a carnival. Acoustic guitars, the high, desperate laughter of the mirthless, squeezing out every ounce of fun from this one night of seven when they weren't miserable. Not careless, not really happy. Just not miserable, for a little while.

It smelled like grilling meat and freshwater. Near the lighthouse, it smelled like grass.

At the lighthouse, we snuck in. Everybody, and dad opened up a duffle bag I hadn't noticed him holding. And inside there was a pack of tiny little bottles. I was out of highschool, he said, old enough to drink a little. As many as I wanted, here in the lighthouse. My friend, too. Don't tell your parents. He wouldn't, he promised.

The ride home was even blurrier, the jet ferry moved even faster, and I felt even more of a disconnect between us and the hordes of drunken middle aged people being shipped back to their cars. We were a group, beerwarm, sun tired, full of pizza. I don't remember the drive home, or anything after it.

Aside from Hamm's, that was my first beer that didn't come from BMC, and my first in front of my father. I got to be a kid and an adult in the same day.

The pour, almost six years later:

Aww, isn't that cute? Little guy doesn't even fill up the whole glass! Slight haze. Decent gold. Almost no head, almost no lacing.

Light and crisp, adjunct corn, prickly fruit esters, and a slight cream. Not bad at all, actually. Think Rolling Rock, only with the canned veggies taken down a notch and replaced with creaminess. No hint of adjunct metal.

Corn, cream, fruit. Ends with a very strong node of sweet cream and a slight, lingering hop. Totally decent. Actually, pretty good. Nice creamy body, and it's easy to drink an entire eight pack.

Every year since then, right as it's starting to get warm, I start thinking about taking another trip to Cedar Point, to Port Clinton. I'd pay (most) of my own way now, of course, but it'd be pretty much the same. Me, Dad, Sis, and whatever friends we want to bring along. I always talk about it to whoever is around when the idea comes into my head, they always agree that it's great, we should definitely do it, and it's never spoken of after that night. It wouldn't be the same. I always realize that when I sober up. (4,267 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +19.1%

A. Pours a pale yellow with a white billowy head that leaves no residual lacing.
S. Corn with some malt sweetness.
T. Sweet corn and malts with a little bit of bitterness on the tail end. The bitterness is hardly recognizable as hops, though.
M. Medium bodied with a smooth and creamy level of carbonation. This is what macro lagers should shoot for in mouthfeel.
D. This is why this beer exists. Macros claim that they have superior drinkability, but this actually does. A light pleasant sweet flavor with a perfect level of creamy carbonation. I could drink these all night and be content. Plus, I'm supporting a great local brewery. Cheers!

I've never understood how cream ale didn't become America's choice beer instead of the adjunct lager. This beer has some flavor and is supremely drinkable - the carbonation level isn't so amped up that it hurts when you drink it too quickly. If nothing else, at least get your macro loving friends to switch to something like this. (976 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Gold with a small white head steadily thinning to a ring and a few weak wisps of lace.

Aroma is corn and grain, apple, grass, basically like a sweet/fuller basic US pale lager with an extra yeasty hint.

Taste is creamed corn, mineral, light grassiness, lightly sweet apple cider, faint tart apple zestiness and alight corn-apple aftertaste. It tend slightly to the sweeter side with a character predominantly of lightly sweet, zesty apple and corn. That said, it has an enjoyable, firm character, if simple and light. (519 characters)

Little Kings Cream Ale from Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.