Little Kings Cream Ale - Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.

Little Kings Cream AleLittle Kings Cream Ale

Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Cream Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 08-19-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Little Kings Cream Ale Alström Bros
1.36/5  rDev -54.5%

Little Kings Cream Ale
7 oz bottle
Recent bottling, shotgunned 08/06
Medium pour (actually, 2 medium pours) in a pint glass.

Poured a somewhat clear straw color with quickly diminishing 1/4 inch head.

Smelt of soured milk and corn and slight hops.

Taste was slightly sweet and malty up front then a quick sour milk attack that dissipates fairly quickly back into sweet maltiness.

Overall, a beer that tastes better slugged down straight from the bottle.

1.42/5  rDev -52.5%

I basically blasted this stuff into the glass, and I got NO HEAD at all. It’s flat, and still with deep yellow body. Bruised apple aroma with stale hops and wet paper. Tastes like apple juice with a hop pellet in it. Very one dimensional and straight forward. FInishes with zero carbonation, and a little unpleasant. Almost as non-descript as a beer can be. Ohh my. Hey, it’s a new state for me! Thanks Chris!

1.47/5  rDev -50.8%

Served in a green (ugh!) 7 ounce bottle. Even with a vigorous pour, there is no head. Hazy with a dirty gold color.

First impression on the smell is plastic. Don't know why. Light fruitiness. No typical smells of malt or hop.

This is a sweet beer that seems like a macro with three teaspoons of sugar added. Not creamy but I would say it is full bodied with a low level of carbonation. The aftertaste is similar to the aftertaste of Coca-Cola.

1.65/5  rDev -44.8%

pours out a hazy dark golden colour...minimal head and no lace. an adjuncty, sulphury, aroma...smells cheap. mega corn taste...some well hidden fruit and yeast. mouthfeel is sort of rough and gritty, not really creamy at all. drinkability is low, and although i'll polish off the eight pak of seven ouncers, i won't be purchasing this ever again. this is a poor beer.

1.76/5  rDev -41.1%

pours watery cloudy yellow gold with a film of white head after an aggressive pour from the tiny bottle

smell - is honestly pretty good for what it is - very euro lager like - sweet grains some alcohol

taste is absolutely putrid - for only being 5.5% the booze / grians mix tastes like sweet gasoline

mouthfeel is very light yet stings my mouth

drinkability - if it tastes awful how could the drinkability be any better - i did drink the Whole bottle 7oz but if you gave me the rest of my life i would not want to finish this whole 8 pack

1.8/5  rDev -39.8%

7oz bottle poured into pint glass.

Fizzy yellow beer, or well something close to yellow. Extremely clear body. One and a half finger bone white head fades very quickly, ever so slight ring left around the top. I suppose for the style, this doesn't look too bad.

Straight up skunk and chlorinated water. If there is anything else going on here it simply cannot compete with these two overpowering aromas.

Sweet grainy flavor. I literally cannot taste anything beyond this. I will admit the first half of the taste I am distracted by the awful aroma (odor?) of this beer, by the time is fades there is nothing but sweet grain.

Light and crisp. Lively carbonation, semi dry finish.

Man, this was interesting. Um, I am at a loss for words. I think this is one you drink from a bottle, anything to help contain the smell. Not for my, the bottle was about 6.70 ounces too much.

1.86/5  rDev -37.8%

Pours a 0.5cm head of whitish, huge bubbles that very quickly fade to nothing; virtually no head retention, definitely no lacing. Body is a transparent dull orange-gold color. Lots of active carbonation in huge bubbles. A bit below par for the style.

Scent primarily of the sweet grain bill and maybe a bit of biscuit and diacetyl. Very dull, barely there.

Taste mimics smell: grainy sweetness, corn adjunct, a nod towards cream soda flavor. Aftertaste is a mix of light fake apple flavor and residual sweetness.

Body is thin and overly carbonated, almost painful on the palate. Carbonation and malt base do not mix well together.

For the most part, this is like drinking carbonated water with some artificial flavors in it. Could use a bit more of everything in the nose, taste, and feel.

1.98/5  rDev -33.8%

Thanks to capra12 for this one. Poured from a 7oz. bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

A: Pours a 1.2 finger coarse white head that evaporates quickly into a thin film. Beer is a clear yellow urine. Lacing is spotty with little cling.

S: Mmmm... skunkalicious. Aroma is of old tires, rust, and big, bold, rice adjuncts. There's a lingering sweetness somewhere in the back but for the most parts, its covered by the skunk.

T: Rice adjunct sweetness upfront that stays through the entire experience. There's very little of anything else really. A bit of spice towards the end makes this unpleasantly sticky and accented. Aftertaste is more of the same but thankfully dissipates quickly.

M: Light bodied, subtlely carbonated, rather smooth, and goes down easily. Finish is oily and filmy. Aftertaste lingers just a bit, but still too long for comfort.

D: What makes this a cream ale? No cream taste and not really creamy on the palate. A bit too sweet with very little to no character. It's not bad by any means, but there are a veritable ton of better creations out there.

1.99/5  rDev -33.4%

Acquired via trade. I guess when I was afraid that I would never see a bottle of Little Kings on store shelves ever again I figured I owed it to the Ohio brewing community to at least try it. Needless to say getting through the seemingly insubstantial 7oz was no small task. The beer pours a rather bright yellow color with a thin and quickly dying head. No real lacing to speak of. The aroma is a little musty but there are some hops trying to make their presence felt. The body is weak, and so is the watery hops flavor with hints of sourness here and there. The finish is kind of the last gasp in this little guy. I guess on some level I am glad I tried it but it's just not a good beer.

7oz. Bottle

Pours a clean/clear golden pale yellow color, some carbonation, little fizzy white head, very little sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, slight hop note. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, with a hop note in there. Light body. Barely Drinkable, not impressed at all. This brew showed up in the SLS here in Layton, what a bunch of wasted space for this one.

2.03/5  rDev -32.1%

Very pale yellow in colour with lots of carbonation and an odd soap-bubbly head. There’s a strange fruity (apple perhaps?) aroma to this one, along with some corn notes. There are some bready malt flavors, along with more corn. Very thin bodied. I found it hard to finish even though the bottle was so small. Gernerally yucky.

2.06/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance - all 7 ounces pour easily into a pilsner glass leaving room at the top to spare. Yellowish, straw beer, a white fizzy head is short-lived and actually maintains a partial cover thanks to some good beading. Even some scant lace along the edges.

Aroma - sweet, grainy, like a diluted malt liquor.

Taste - husky grain flavor, very middle of the road. A trace of cereal and skunk, a little more than a trace actually, more coming out with warming. Even a touch of metal. Basic macro beer with too many issues.

Mouthfeel - thin, crispy, zippy.

Drinkability - sampled for posterity's sake. Not my kind of beer, though I would buy it now and then to accomodate the swill-mongers.

2.08/5  rDev -30.4%

A - Poured a straw color with a white head that quickly fades to a ring

S - It smells like a Euro Pale Lager sweet grainy malt with skunk

T - Follows the nose sweet grainy malt with UV abused hops

M - This beer has a light body with medium carbonation to it

D - I'm sure if I was able to get a fresh hidden from the light bottle it would be better but probably not by much not worth it

2.09/5  rDev -30.1%

It's known as "Little Killers" for a reason. Many years ago, I broke my hand and another time I soiled myself while drinking this stuff. It's a little harsh.

2.09/5  rDev -30.1%

This has an awful smell to it like bad b.o.(body odor)..it has a creamy texture and a sweetish adjuncty type taste. The taste is OK, but the smell is killing me everytime I take a drink of this. I also smell some alcohol and faint hops but the first strong smell is of B.O. The little bottles are cool, and at one time I thought this was a treat to find. Not any more. Genny Cream Ale is a clear step up from this.

2.15/5  rDev -28.1%

Straight-up pour gives a one finger white head that fades to a ring leaving a trace of lace. Almost clear amber color. Light bodied and light carbonation. Nose is a faint lemon and corn. Starts with some sweetness, mild flavor in fact hardly any flavor not worth 89¢ for a wussy 7 oz bottle from John's Grocery Iowa City, IA.

2.17/5  rDev -27.4%

To be honest, I only bought this beer with the intention of reviewing it. I don't really like the "cute" bottle. In fact, it makes me mad that I know it will only fill half my glass. Oh well, on to the beer...

Poured into a pint glass, this is a very pale and cloudy brew, almost no head or carbonation to speak of. It's just sitting there... The intital aromas are all sweet malts, not too skunky, but a slight odor of cooked veggies. A bit earthy. Not much in the hop department.

Taste, as I expected, is all-malt as well, slightly nutty, but with a weird and unpleasant sour and soapy taste. Is that supposed to be the bitters? Whatever it is, it's wholly unpleasant. Thin in the mouth and slightly dry going down. Yes, it is creamy, so I guess the description fits, but I'm telling ya, I'm going to have a really hard time choking this mini-bottle down. I'll just leave it to the ladies....

2.18/5  rDev -27.1%

This beer has been hanging around the back of beer refer for several months. It has been cold and dark but that has not helped it much. The beer pours a pale golden yellow with a head that disappates so fast that you better not blink or it is gone. The smell of corn is stong as is the taste. I would recommend this beer for someone who is wanting to know what DMS - corn - smells and tastes like The beer finishes quite sour and the mouthfeel is light. I would have no use for this beer except as an example of what a beer is not supposed to taste like.

2.2/5  rDev -26.4%

No head at all… pale, strawish golden. Odd nose and palate, creamy-sweet & skunky-bitter. Awful on all accounts. Thank God it comes in 7oz. bottles because anymore would have been a chore. Not recommend at all.

2.2/5  rDev -26.4%

This beer was a very pale yellow color and formed absolutely no head. An aroma of grain and slightly of hops. A flavor of grain and not much else.I used to drink Little Kings, which was common where I was from. While I found it better then the more larger macro brews, it still is not high on my list.

2.28/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

7oz. bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a medium gold color with half a finger of head that dies quickly. There's almost no lacing. The smell is sweet and malty, has a bit of a corn smell to it as well. No real trace of hops. The taste is malty and corny, with a slight burning sensation on the finish. The body is actually fairly thick. The drinkability is ok as well. Really needs some work.

2.29/5  rDev -23.4%

7oz nip, courtesy of my RB pal Dorothy. :P

Served into my Yards taster mug. Pours out sizzling like Canada Dry.

Faint grain, tonic, & mustiness. Classically boring, but unoffensive.

Taste is lightly sweet crackery malt & husk. Noticeable wet bark/twig bitterness also included. Spritzy, but ends with a little Euro trash as it warms.

Unless these come complimentary, with a "try me" sticker, taped to the back of a bottle of Wild Turkey, I don't think I'm game enough for another.

2.31/5  rDev -22.7%

My sis in law used to drink this back in the day. I know my bro also drank it but he didn't like it much, for the cheap buzz, he preferred Mickeys Big Mouth. I saw it in my local and decided "what the hell". 7oz beers are fun. Icebreakers they are called.

A: Standard, yellow, little foam and lace, required bubbly bread.

S: Grainy sweet. maybe a little too much sugar residual. Burp beer.

M: A little foamy, sweet residual aftertaste. Corn masked, but sure as hell get the sweet from it.

T: It doesn't have a overpowering corn flavor but the sweet is overpowering. At the back is a faint butter scotch remainder, but you need to look hard for it. The stink of a cheap cream ale is too overpowering to really enjoy. It's not a smooth beverage either. Really harsh going down.

D: Cheap, crappy, nostalgia beer. Even Genny Cream is a bit more palatable. Good thing it was only 7 OZ.

2.33/5  rDev -22.1%

7oz bottle from State Liquor Store in Vernal. $1.00

A: Clear yellow, white head, not much retention, a few sticky spots of lacing. Looks like an adjunct lager.

S: Grainy. Honestly there is nothing else there.

T: Grainy, a little honey, and well, it ends about there. I don't want to trash this beer, but its got a malty grainy flavor, and that is all I can describe it as. Tastes like a BMC beer with a weird sweet finish, I don't like this at all.

M: A little heavier than an adjunct lager, and less carbonated.

D: No thanks, one 7oz of this is enough for me. Its not a horrible beer, but I'm not enjoying this. I think I'd rather drink an adjunct lager over this. Not impressed.

2.33/5  rDev -22.1%

A-Pours a clear golden color with a smallish head that disappeared quickly and left no lacing on the glass.
S-A little on the "skunky" side (Heinekenesque) with earthy/grassy hoppy aromas.
T-Thin. I could end there, but, there was a "creamy" corn syrupy taste up front with oakey afternotes but not necessarily in a good way. It was like taking an average beer and cutting it to dilute the taste.
M-Thin with moderate carbonation...nothing special here.
D-Some palates may appreciate what was attempted here, just not mine. Glad I have only 7oz. of this before moving on the something better I hope.

Little Kings Cream Ale from Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.