Little Kings Cream Ale - Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.

Little Kings Cream AleLittle Kings Cream Ale

good

Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Cream Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 08-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Little Kings Cream Ale Alström Bros
2.63/5  rDev -13.5%

Little 7 oz. bottle of green. My whole hand wraps around it. It half-filled my pint glass, obviously. Transparent golden yellow color with a tall white head and no lacing. This beer kind of stinks. Kind of mediciney with hints of straw or hay and sour corn. Tastes like cereal grains and low quality ingredients. I like the texture, however. Kind of creamy. I don't like the bitter/sour aftertaste, though. Not very good beer. I'm glad there aren't 5 more ounces, to be honest.

berserker256, Mar 05, 2009
3.2/5  rDev +5.3%

I love the little bottle! Im not a big fan of the 8oz Millers and whatever but I think it would be cool if someone started putting high alky craft brews into little bottles.

this brew pours up a clear golden color with a decent little white head. the nose is grainy with pale malts and subtle hop bittering. the taste is basically the same as the nose but a tid bit sweeter and much creamier. Medium bodied, low carbo, a clean finish. A pretty solid beer. Now I know why them yankees love this beer so much.

stumac, Feb 05, 2009

The recent news of this beer comming back to Cincinnati made me want to support the return. A cute little bottle dispensed about three drinks of beer. If I am going to catch a buzz from this, it will take a lot of trips back and forth to the fridge.

The beer delivers a brightly colored straw hue with timid but withstanding head formation and retention-- a pretty standard Budweiser-ish look.

Pilsner malts and cereal grains take the dominant role in the moderate aroma. Light German-type hops struggle to balance, allowing the wet grain scent to prevail.

The taste is sweeter than expected, with a stronger malt taste than most cream ales. Still the beer takes on cereal proportions and with a touch of grain husk to accompany the slight hop flavor late. Fairly low levels of sulfer taste with a modest fruity hint late.

Also maltier in the mouthfeel than expected. However, the sheer sweetness of the beer makes it a bit difficult. A better balance is preferred. Light on astringency and mild on alcohol warmth.

This beer actually turned out to be fairly well brewed and is easy to drink. I'd prefer this to many American lagers.

BEERchitect, Jan 06, 2009
2.83/5  rDev -6.9%

An amber color with carbonation bubbles. A small white head. Smell is corn, wheat, there seems to be a floral hint and a hint of skunky. It has a creamy mouth feel that has hints of skunk, with corn malt and hops. The finish is short lived. It is an okay beer, better than what I thought it was going to be. Drinkable

colts9016, Dec 06, 2008
3.6/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This may be the very first beer I drank as a high school kid. The beer was served cold. I drank a few back to back from the bottle. I also served a couple in a pint glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a clear golden yellow coloration. The head was a white coloration. The head quickly resolved itself to a ring of foam.

Smell: The beers aroma reminds me of honey and corn. The beer vaguely smells earthy skunky. (Note this beer is definately not skunked.)

Taste: The beer has a grain malty flavor up front. A vague mineral earthyness breaks up the sweetness. Not alot going on here.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The beer has a light body and is well carbonated. The drinkability is pretty high. I drank 4 of these while typing this review.

nlmartin, Dec 05, 2008
2.68/5  rDev -11.8%

A rare treat reminiscent of some hazy college days. Little Kings pack some power and are very drinkable. Faint skunky aroma, not offensive at all. Medium yellow with a solid white head. Creamy to the palate with an easy finish. Flavor is of solid creamy malt real simple but it's good.

kinger, Oct 29, 2008
3.25/5  rDev +6.9%

Drinking as I type

7 oz bottle into Barilla spaghetti sauce jar.

I used to buy this beer when I was in high school for 8 bucks a case. Those little bottles litter the countryside of my youth.

A: Golden transparent straw. Nearly no head than vanishes pretty quickly. Has a bit of lacing around the edges.

S: Honey and corn kinda like cap -n- crunch.

T: Sweet and a bit of malts. Corn and corn syrup. A bit of a can taste too even though its from the bottle. Reminds me a bit of Heineken without the kind bud flavor.

M: Pretty watery.

D: I used to drink a case of these when I was a wee lad and still want more. I think a sixer over a card game would suffice nowadays. This beer is pure nostalgia for me. Its like comfort food. That's why it gets a 4.5 for drinkability. Go out and try one of these little fellas on. You'll see they have a nice fit.

baos, Nov 26, 2007
3.8/5  rDev +25%

Poured from the mini-bottle into a pint glass, beer is a clear, yellow-golden color with a sparkling white head and a stream of bubbles rising from the depths of the glass. The smell has a distinct sweetness about it, sort of a vanilla-banana mixed with a sweet liquor smell. The taste has a bit of corn adjunct to it, but other than that a slightly sweet maltyness that has a creamy mouthfeel and a crisp, slightly dry finish. Overall, I think this is a pretty decent beer; better than the average swill for sure.

gmfessen, Aug 03, 2007
2.6/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

pours golden with good head and carbonation. i drank enough of this in high school to float a battleship. i wanted to try it again as all our tastes change. mine did too. i still like it and maybe that is cuz i want to think it was great. i like the smell and the taste and it is drinkable.

a semi local beer for me. not a bad choice. same brewer that used to make Hudy Gold. i drank a ton of that in college but it must be out of production now.

suckem up and movem out!

giblet

giblet, Jul 23, 2007
4.08/5  rDev +34.2%

Pours a clear gloden straw hue, with a creamy two finger head. Good retention and light, spotty lacing. Light-struck aroma with background Pilsener malt, slight DMS aroma, and a hint of sulfer yeast. Sweet pale malt and mild dextrins upfront, with some sharp Pils and sweet corn notes. Drying aftertaste with a suggestion of spicy Tettnanger or Saaz hop flavor. Despite some distracting skunk taste, this shows balanced bitterness with a genuine pre-prohibition Pils malt character. The mouthfeel aids this effect with a gentle but ample carbonation and a light body that retains some sweetness and creamy texture. Goes down very smooth and highly quaffable, esecially given the smaller bottle. In the heat of summer, this would be my first choice for lunch out on the patio.

PBRstreetgang, Jun 27, 2007
2.78/5  rDev -8.6%

man i used to love these...those teenage days of $7 cases of those cute little bottles. i thought this was fine livin' back then. this seemed like a micro to me in the drug-induced, ignorant haze that were my teen years. typical macro in appearance, a touch more color than a "lite" though. some sweet malt adjunct arromas. a little sweetness upfront balanced by force carbonation rather than hops. finished crisp due to this. light, spritzy mouthfeel. drank these to get drunk. not really worth it anymore, maybe when i reach midlife crisis i will revisit these yet again. these were also great for beer bottle bowling in the garage.
revisited these and i get shit tons of green apple...have never noticed this much in any beer much less this dominant. don't recall it from my younger days drinking this either, not that i was paying attention. almost no aroma, maybe some corn and green apple. no head really. a little deeper color than most macros. first time out of hundreds i've poured it into a glass. best cream ale is from sun king in indiana.

MrMcGibblets, May 03, 2007
3.1/5  rDev +2%

Got this little bottle from Chris and drank it within a couple of weeks of being shipped to Dublin. It was not too full of flavor, but poured smooth with little and drank easy-basically an average beer. I find it hard to believe that it is rated at 5.50% ABV and I dont necessarily taste where the "cream ale" name comes from, but I would drink more. I do have another bottle to compare this first one too-maybe I will drink it next week or something.

jspruit, Jan 28, 2007
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance - all 7 ounces pour easily into a pilsner glass leaving room at the top to spare. Yellowish, straw beer, a white fizzy head is short-lived and actually maintains a partial cover thanks to some good beading. Even some scant lace along the edges.

Aroma - sweet, grainy, like a diluted malt liquor.

Taste - husky grain flavor, very middle of the road. A trace of cereal and skunk, a little more than a trace actually, more coming out with warming. Even a touch of metal. Basic macro beer with too many issues.

Mouthfeel - thin, crispy, zippy.

Drinkability - sampled for posterity's sake. Not my kind of beer, though I would buy it now and then to accomodate the swill-mongers.

brewdlyhooked13, Jan 03, 2007
1.43/5  rDev -53%

I basically blasted this stuff into the glass, and I got NO HEAD at all. It’s flat, and still with deep yellow body. Bruised apple aroma with stale hops and wet paper. Tastes like apple juice with a hop pellet in it. Very one dimensional and straight forward. FInishes with zero carbonation, and a little unpleasant. Almost as non-descript as a beer can be. Ohh my. Hey, it’s a new state for me! Thanks Chris!

mrmanning, Dec 03, 2006
2.15/5  rDev -29.3%

Straight-up pour gives a one finger white head that fades to a ring leaving a trace of lace. Almost clear amber color. Light bodied and light carbonation. Nose is a faint lemon and corn. Starts with some sweetness, mild flavor in fact hardly any flavor not worth 89¢ for a wussy 7 oz bottle from John's Grocery Iowa City, IA.

jdhilt, Nov 02, 2006
3.03/5  rDev -0.3%

I actually poured two 7oz bottles into 1 pint glass. I tried to give it a nice frothy head but the beer wouln't cooperate. The head diminished almost as soon as I poured it.

The smell was average... nothing special here... reminds me of Rolling Rock.

Taste was a little nicer but still nothing special. Clean, and a little watered down for my taste.

No creamy aftertaste like I would expect and nothing to promp me to buy another.

TheBierBand, Oct 09, 2006
2.85/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured from a small green 7oz. bottle-A little king indeed!

Light gold in color and crystal clear, this cream ale looks just the same as other mass produced ales and lagers of this caliber. White head, if it can even be called that, it starts off small not even a finger's width and ends even smaller-reminds me of algae on the surface of a pond, except for much thinner. An overall poor appearance due to poor head retention and formation as well as no lacing characteristics. It is possible to brew a beer of this style that has a head, lacing and good retention. It just doesn't look that appealing.

The aroma is clean, perhaps a small sweetness and small hop aroma. Hey its better than the appearance, at least there is some aroma to this beer. Some diacetyl and phenolic aromas are in the background.

On the tongue this beer is sweet, the malt does a nice job of coming out in the flavor of this beer. I was suprised the first time I ever had this. I didn't think that it would have any flavor. I thought it would be pretty much on the same caliber as BMC. Not really much to the hops in this beer, barely enough to balance it out. The malt is not cloying or overpowering I just believe that this beer lacks any kind of hop influence. Some diacetyl and Phenolic flavors are evident.

For the style this beer is average on the palate. Lightbodied and medium-high carbonation are demonstrated by this beer, and that seems to fit the stylistic parameters. I probably won't buy this beer again because there is no point. There's nothing special to this beer, no reason to drink it again. Sure its easy to drink and goes down quite smooth and very easily, but it is just an almost average beer. Nothing calls me back to this beer.

becktone, Sep 26, 2006
1.33/5  rDev -56.3%

Little Kings Cream Ale
7 oz bottle
Recent bottling, shotgunned 08/06
Medium pour (actually, 2 medium pours) in a pint glass.

Poured a somewhat clear straw color with quickly diminishing 1/4 inch head.

Smelt of soured milk and corn and slight hops.

Taste was slightly sweet and malty up front then a quick sour milk attack that dissipates fairly quickly back into sweet maltiness.

Overall, a beer that tastes better slugged down straight from the bottle.

xav33, Aug 10, 2006
2.42/5  rDev -20.4%

Little Kings Cream Ale pours hazy with a pale straw color. A very hard pour gave a small, creamy head that vanished quickly.
Sweet aroma; no hops.
Taste starts sweet then quickly digresses to a bland sour. No hops here either.
The moderate carbonation turns thin and watery fast.
Because the taste and feel of this beer change from decent to almost bad so fast, I didn't find it very drinkable. I'll pass on this one next time.

wolffman17, Aug 05, 2006
3.6/5  rDev +18.4%

I have a history with this beer.

It was a warm summertime twilight, the last time I felt like a kid. I was barely 17, my first summer out of high school. Dad took me and my sister and a pair of our friends all the way to Ohio to visit Cedar Point, the rollercoasteryest theme park in the entire goddamn world. Seven hour drive but it was strangely happy. No fights, even in the heat. Not that we were too old to fight; we were too excited.

We got there and we were kids, finally. Never had the money for theme parks when we were really little. In the backyard, the little pricks up the street wore their damn Mickey Mouse ears for almost two weeks after they got back. We hated them, and it was jealousy. They didn't deserve it.

But, fuckit, we went there! We spent two days at the best theme park in the world. I ate nothing but cotton candy and cheated so I could ride the Millennium Force twice within a span of 15 minutes. I almost blacked out. It was awesome.

And now, this night, we were tired. Two days of sun, walking all over, getting blown violently through space two or three times an hour. We were going to a new hotel, slightly closer to home, but first... a mysterious destination. Port Clinton, Ohio. An island about twenty city blocks long and twelve wide, right in the middle of a big fucking lake that we had to take a jet powered ferry to get to. I had never been on a boat before. My hair flew back, the white streaks of foam beneath me, and I knew I would die if I fell in, but I knew I would never let go of the railing.

Here we were, on a small island consisting of nothing but bars, pizza places, and a giant lighthouse that was the site of the world's first ship to shore radio broadcast. A-and they had world's longest bar, too. There was even a plaque to prove it!

I couldn't drink at the bars. I was too young to want to. I wanted pizza, soda pop. Drinking beer was what you did behind a shed or at the home of a really poor kid whose parents were too drunk to care.

Noise everywhere. Downwind of a carnival. Acoustic guitars, the high, desperate laughter of the mirthless, squeezing out every ounce of fun from this one night of seven when they weren't miserable. Not careless, not really happy. Just not miserable, for a little while.

It smelled like grilling meat and freshwater. Near the lighthouse, it smelled like grass.

At the lighthouse, we snuck in. Everybody, and dad opened up a duffle bag I hadn't noticed him holding. And inside there was a pack of tiny little bottles. I was out of highschool, he said, old enough to drink a little. As many as I wanted, here in the lighthouse. My friend, too. Don't tell your parents. He wouldn't, he promised.

The ride home was even blurrier, the jet ferry moved even faster, and I felt even more of a disconnect between us and the hordes of drunken middle aged people being shipped back to their cars. We were a group, beerwarm, sun tired, full of pizza. I don't remember the drive home, or anything after it.

Aside from Hamm's, that was my first beer that didn't come from BMC, and my first in front of my father. I got to be a kid and an adult in the same day.

The pour, almost six years later:

Aww, isn't that cute? Little guy doesn't even fill up the whole glass! Slight haze. Decent gold. Almost no head, almost no lacing.

Light and crisp, adjunct corn, prickly fruit esters, and a slight cream. Not bad at all, actually. Think Rolling Rock, only with the canned veggies taken down a notch and replaced with creaminess. No hint of adjunct metal.

Corn, cream, fruit. Ends with a very strong node of sweet cream and a slight, lingering hop. Totally decent. Actually, pretty good. Nice creamy body, and it's easy to drink an entire eight pack.

Every year since then, right as it's starting to get warm, I start thinking about taking another trip to Cedar Point, to Port Clinton. I'd pay (most) of my own way now, of course, but it'd be pretty much the same. Me, Dad, Sis, and whatever friends we want to bring along. I always talk about it to whoever is around when the idea comes into my head, they always agree that it's great, we should definitely do it, and it's never spoken of after that night. It wouldn't be the same. I always realize that when I sober up.

mynie, Jun 11, 2006
3.1/5  rDev +2%

7 oz bottle pours with a slight haze , not much head

Smell is slightly corny, no perceivable hop aroma.

Taste is a little tart , grainy , and metallic.

Mouthfeel is creamy , thin , well carbonated.

Drinrkabilty is average , nothing that keeps me from having another.

shroompod, Jun 03, 2006
2.68/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured a pale yellow clear color with escaping bubbles of carbonation clearly visible. Head was large and thin with little lacing. Aroma was hops and some malt with plenty of adjuncts. Still, it had a certain pleasing quality to it. Body was light-to-medium. Flavor was on the sweet side but it did have some hops to balance. More character than your average macro, with a bit of toasty/biscuit flavor. Had a bit of prickly mouthfeel with maybe a bit of tartness. Drinkability was not bad, either--left you wanting more.

A unique beer, and as I remember it when I last had it 10 years ago. I remember I used to stop at Big Bear on my way home from work when I was in college and pick up a 40 or 2 for a couple of bucks. Time hurries on...

shererjt, Apr 22, 2006
2.15/5  rDev -29.3%

To be honest, I only bought this beer with the intention of reviewing it. I don't really like the "cute" bottle. In fact, it makes me mad that I know it will only fill half my glass. Oh well, on to the beer...

Poured into a pint glass, this is a very pale and cloudy brew, almost no head or carbonation to speak of. It's just sitting there... The intital aromas are all sweet malts, not too skunky, but a slight odor of cooked veggies. A bit earthy. Not much in the hop department.

Taste, as I expected, is all-malt as well, slightly nutty, but with a weird and unpleasant sour and soapy taste. Is that supposed to be the bitters? Whatever it is, it's wholly unpleasant. Thin in the mouth and slightly dry going down. Yes, it is creamy, so I guess the description fits, but I'm telling ya, I'm going to have a really hard time choking this mini-bottle down. I'll just leave it to the ladies....

trevorwideman, Mar 15, 2006
3.48/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Little Kings in a little bottle. This is one of the coolst bottles I've ever seen! Too kewl for skewl. Contract brrewed by Frederick.

Half-fills a tulip glass with a foggy cloudy light straw hue toped by a scant ivory collar.

Slight vanilla and dairy nose met with a wet sand aroma and a mild touch of waffle and orange.

First swigs: Probably meant to be consumed out of the little cute bottle, but son of a gun if there ain't some "creamy" plain yougurt flavor and texture to this appelation of cream ale.

Feel is crisp and medium bodied.

Last swigs: More of a plain yogurt flavor than any other beer I've ever had. 5.5% ABV is impalpable. What this lacks in grace, it makes up for in uniqueness. A sure try for the beer curious. I asked for "different" and I got "different" Nice. 35/3.29

Beer is good. Happy surprise diferent little beerings.

blitheringidiot, Feb 08, 2006
2.85/5  rDev -6.3%

If poured it's a golden color with a flowing white head, with light body and moderate carbonation. The scent is very light with hints of grass.Flavor was pretty good but no real hops that stood out. The mouthfeel was rather disappointing by my standards but all in all I was happy to relive my youth.I drank these a lot growing up ....but they are now somewhat rare to find anymore .

Tallboy, Feb 01, 2006
Little Kings Cream Ale from Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.