Little Kings Cream Ale - Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.

Little Kings Cream AleLittle Kings Cream Ale

good

Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Cream Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 08-19-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Little Kings Cream Ale Alström Bros
3.08/5  rDev +1.3%

Found this single 7oz green bottle at Binny's in Glen Ellyn, IL for $1.09. No back label with information about the beer and no freshness date.

At just 7oz, this beer will only fill up your glass about 2/3 full, so feel free to give it a hard pour right down the middle. Even with a hard pour this pale yellow beer only made a ½ finger white head that disappeared in about 30 seconds. Surprisinglt it did leave a few spots of lacing on the glass.

This beer was skunked beyond belief and I wasn't sure I would even be ale to drink it, but after I let it sit and breath a bit, most of the skunkiness wore off and I was able to pick out a sweet grainy corn smell.

The taste was pleasantly sweet with both malt and corn flavors, but it also had a small hop presence for balance.

The mouthfeel lived up to its namesake as a cream ale. It wasn't a heavy beer but it certainly was smooth and creamy with a medium high carbonation level.

I would like to try another one of these and see if I get the same skunky smell, because without that I could see drinking a bunch of these. It's a good little beer.

2.57/5  rDev -15.5%

Bottle to glass.

A - very flat. No lacing or little head. Little carbonation. Cornish yellow tint. Pee like almost.

S - Sweet, and fuity. But its got a alcohol tinge to it. Not much else I smell.

T - About the same as smell. Fruity, not real carbonated. Simple. Vegetable like.

M - Thin. Hardly carbonated. Slippery. Alcohol in the end.

D - Probably the only good thing about this beer is the drink ability and the the funny size of the bottle it came in.

This is a cool as someone else has said it ice breaker beer. Its probably cheap. I however was given an 8 pack for about 9 bucks. A friend got it for me when he was in Kentucky.

Would I pay 9 dollars again for this? No. Not at all. If it was local and I could get 24 of them for $18? Sure why not.

Price to quality is how I rate. And for being more than a dollar for a 7oz bottle I have had much much better than this.

3.87/5  rDev +27.3%

Had not had this in about twenty-five or so years.Picked up an eight pack to see if it might bring back so old memories, it did most of them not to bad but I understood why it had been so long.To sum it up I'll call this one a mass quantity beer as compared to a quality brew.Not really all that bad but it's amazing the stuff I used to put away as compared to now.

2.31/5  rDev -24%

My sis in law used to drink this back in the day. I know my bro also drank it but he didn't like it much, for the cheap buzz, he preferred Mickeys Big Mouth. I saw it in my local and decided "what the hell". 7oz beers are fun. Icebreakers they are called.

A: Standard, yellow, little foam and lace, required bubbly bread.

S: Grainy sweet. maybe a little too much sugar residual. Burp beer.

M: A little foamy, sweet residual aftertaste. Corn masked, but sure as hell get the sweet from it.

T: It doesn't have a overpowering corn flavor but the sweet is overpowering. At the back is a faint butter scotch remainder, but you need to look hard for it. The stink of a cheap cream ale is too overpowering to really enjoy. It's not a smooth beverage either. Really harsh going down.

D: Cheap, crappy, nostalgia beer. Even Genny Cream is a bit more palatable. Good thing it was only 7 OZ.

Wow, the bottle is small (7oz)!
The foam was white in color, bubbly and dissapated quickly. The color was light golden yellow with hints of amber. The smell was of a typical American pils, nice ballance of hops and barley. The taste to me was like an average mainstream pils with some bitterness and small undertones of wheat and lemon. Mouthfeel - light to medium-bodied. Drinkability - better than the average watered down beer.

3.23/5  rDev +6.3%

Bottle at PPRBSG09 thanks to beastiefan2k. Pours a clear yellow with a white head. Aroma of sweet pale malt. Flavor of light corn malt, some bready notes and sweet fruits. Actually I found this chill and drinkable...(apparently Eugene and I are alone in thinking this)

3.42/5  rDev +12.5%

saw these recently
A: great golden color that leads up to snow white fluffy head
S: grainy sweet smell
T: mmm creamy smooth starts off nice and sweet like a english ale or something nice barky bite to finish pretty dry as well
M: very smooth and creamy like a widget beer but still very light and watery also it is very carbinated
D: overall good beer for nice day also a very good price

2.29/5  rDev -24.7%

7oz nip, courtesy of my RB pal Dorothy. :P

Served into my Yards taster mug. Pours out sizzling like Canada Dry.

Faint grain, tonic, & mustiness. Classically boring, but unoffensive.

Taste is lightly sweet crackery malt & husk. Noticeable wet bark/twig bitterness also included. Spritzy, but ends with a little Euro trash as it warms.

Unless these come complimentary, with a "try me" sticker, taped to the back of a bottle of Wild Turkey, I don't think I'm game enough for another.

3.3/5  rDev +8.6%

Pale golden with a slight white foamy head that quickly settles and leaves some blotchy lace behind. Toasted sweet corn flakes in the nose and not much else. The flavor is mostly sweet and malty up front with very little hop character present. Light bodied with smooth carbonation. An okay beer that is only slightly better that a typical macro lager.

2.9/5  rDev -4.6%

Got this in a trade with Infestaxion. This is one of those "cult" beers that people love. This is brewed at the Lion in Wilkes Barre, PA but only sold in the Midwest. Poured from a 7 ounce green bottle. Strangely this 7 oz is actually a different size than the Rolling rock 7 oz bottle. Do we need 2 types of 7 oz beer bottles? Beer poured into a small glass. Yellow color, with small head. The beer quickly goes flat. Grainy, fruity smell. You can smell the extra alcohol content too. The taste reminds me of beer from the 1980s. Not sure if the beer has changed or I am just not drinking the cheapest beer around these days. Drinkability is ok. Nice to have some variety out there. When I drink this I wonder what the special appeal is/was for cream ale. Other than the extra kick, dont see it.

3.4/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured two 7 ounce green bottles into my pint glass.

Small white head, clear golden yellow, and very active carbonation. Left some nice lacing. Sweet and malty smelling with some adjuncts present. The adjuncts aren't as offputting here as they are in macro-lagers. Adjuncts seem right at home in the creamy sweetness. Pretty tastey stuff, but it's not something I would want a lot of in one sitting.

3.35/5  rDev +10.2%

This is one I actually just tried and not one I had notes for. I just found it at Churchills down on the west side and I've never seen it before so I decided to try it.

The little bottle is a good idea. Why hasn't anyone thought of this for the really high ABV's?

A- The color is sort of a light amber yellow with a small thick head and not really any lacing.

S- More grains that anything. Hops and malts are hanging around back there. There's a little funkiness somewhere back there that I can't place.

T- More grains than anything like the smell. Then along with hops and malt a little extra sweetness comes in.

M- Pretty nice actually. Smooth and creamy light body. Not too much carbonation.

D- You could hit a few of these but there may be others that are better balanced and tastier.

2.61/5  rDev -14.1%

Little 7 oz. bottle of green. My whole hand wraps around it. It half-filled my pint glass, obviously. Transparent golden yellow color with a tall white head and no lacing. This beer kind of stinks. Kind of mediciney with hints of straw or hay and sour corn. Tastes like cereal grains and low quality ingredients. I like the texture, however. Kind of creamy. I don't like the bitter/sour aftertaste, though. Not very good beer. I'm glad there aren't 5 more ounces, to be honest.

3.18/5  rDev +4.6%

I love the little bottle! Im not a big fan of the 8oz Millers and whatever but I think it would be cool if someone started putting high alky craft brews into little bottles.

this brew pours up a clear golden color with a decent little white head. the nose is grainy with pale malts and subtle hop bittering. the taste is basically the same as the nose but a tid bit sweeter and much creamier. Medium bodied, low carbo, a clean finish. A pretty solid beer. Now I know why them yankees love this beer so much.

The recent news of this beer comming back to Cincinnati made me want to support the return. A cute little bottle dispensed about three drinks of beer. If I am going to catch a buzz from this, it will take a lot of trips back and forth to the fridge.

The beer delivers a brightly colored straw hue with timid but withstanding head formation and retention-- a pretty standard Budweiser-ish look.

Pilsner malts and cereal grains take the dominant role in the moderate aroma. Light German-type hops struggle to balance, allowing the wet grain scent to prevail.

The taste is sweeter than expected, with a stronger malt taste than most cream ales. Still the beer takes on cereal proportions and with a touch of grain husk to accompany the slight hop flavor late. Fairly low levels of sulfer taste with a modest fruity hint late.

Also maltier in the mouthfeel than expected. However, the sheer sweetness of the beer makes it a bit difficult. A better balance is preferred. Light on astringency and mild on alcohol warmth.

This beer actually turned out to be fairly well brewed and is easy to drink. I'd prefer this to many American lagers.

2.82/5  rDev -7.2%

An amber color with carbonation bubbles. A small white head. Smell is corn, wheat, there seems to be a floral hint and a hint of skunky. It has a creamy mouth feel that has hints of skunk, with corn malt and hops. The finish is short lived. It is an okay beer, better than what I thought it was going to be. Drinkable

3.6/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This may be the very first beer I drank as a high school kid. The beer was served cold. I drank a few back to back from the bottle. I also served a couple in a pint glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a clear golden yellow coloration. The head was a white coloration. The head quickly resolved itself to a ring of foam.

Smell: The beers aroma reminds me of honey and corn. The beer vaguely smells earthy skunky. (Note this beer is definately not skunked.)

Taste: The beer has a grain malty flavor up front. A vague mineral earthyness breaks up the sweetness. Not alot going on here.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The beer has a light body and is well carbonated. The drinkability is pretty high. I drank 4 of these while typing this review.

2.68/5  rDev -11.8%

A rare treat reminiscent of some hazy college days. Little Kings pack some power and are very drinkable. Faint skunky aroma, not offensive at all. Medium yellow with a solid white head. Creamy to the palate with an easy finish. Flavor is of solid creamy malt real simple but it's good.

3.25/5  rDev +6.9%

Drinking as I type

7 oz bottle into Barilla spaghetti sauce jar.

I used to buy this beer when I was in high school for 8 bucks a case. Those little bottles litter the countryside of my youth.

A: Golden transparent straw. Nearly no head than vanishes pretty quickly. Has a bit of lacing around the edges.

S: Honey and corn kinda like cap -n- crunch.

T: Sweet and a bit of malts. Corn and corn syrup. A bit of a can taste too even though its from the bottle. Reminds me a bit of Heineken without the kind bud flavor.

M: Pretty watery.

D: I used to drink a case of these when I was a wee lad and still want more. I think a sixer over a card game would suffice nowadays. This beer is pure nostalgia for me. Its like comfort food. That's why it gets a 4.5 for drinkability. Go out and try one of these little fellas on. You'll see they have a nice fit.

3.83/5  rDev +26%

Poured from the mini-bottle into a pint glass, beer is a clear, yellow-golden color with a sparkling white head and a stream of bubbles rising from the depths of the glass. The smell has a distinct sweetness about it, sort of a vanilla-banana mixed with a sweet liquor smell. The taste has a bit of corn adjunct to it, but other than that a slightly sweet maltyness that has a creamy mouthfeel and a crisp, slightly dry finish. Overall, I think this is a pretty decent beer; better than the average swill for sure.

2.62/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

pours golden with good head and carbonation. i drank enough of this in high school to float a battleship. i wanted to try it again as all our tastes change. mine did too. i still like it and maybe that is cuz i want to think it was great. i like the smell and the taste and it is drinkable.

a semi local beer for me. not a bad choice. same brewer that used to make Hudy Gold. i drank a ton of that in college but it must be out of production now.

suckem up and movem out!

giblet

4.07/5  rDev +33.9%

Pours a clear gloden straw hue, with a creamy two finger head. Good retention and light, spotty lacing. Light-struck aroma with background Pilsener malt, slight DMS aroma, and a hint of sulfer yeast. Sweet pale malt and mild dextrins upfront, with some sharp Pils and sweet corn notes. Drying aftertaste with a suggestion of spicy Tettnanger or Saaz hop flavor. Despite some distracting skunk taste, this shows balanced bitterness with a genuine pre-prohibition Pils malt character. The mouthfeel aids this effect with a gentle but ample carbonation and a light body that retains some sweetness and creamy texture. Goes down very smooth and highly quaffable, esecially given the smaller bottle. In the heat of summer, this would be my first choice for lunch out on the patio.

2.73/5  rDev -10.2%

man i used to love these...those teenage days of $7 cases of those cute little bottles. i thought this was fine livin' back then. this seemed like a micro to me in the drug-induced, ignorant haze that were my teen years. typical macro in appearance, a touch more color than a "lite" though. some sweet malt adjunct arromas. a little sweetness upfront balanced by force carbonation rather than hops. finished crisp due to this. light, spritzy mouthfeel. drank these to get drunk. not really worth it anymore, maybe when i reach midlife crisis i will revisit these yet again. these were also great for beer bottle bowling in the garage.
revisited these and i get shit tons of green apple...have never noticed this much in any beer much less this dominant. don't recall it from my younger days drinking this either, not that i was paying attention. almost no aroma, maybe some corn and green apple. no head really. a little deeper color than most macros. first time out of hundreds i've poured it into a glass. best cream ale is from sun king in indiana.

3.1/5  rDev +2%

Got this little bottle from Chris and drank it within a couple of weeks of being shipped to Dublin. It was not too full of flavor, but poured smooth with little and drank easy-basically an average beer. I find it hard to believe that it is rated at 5.50% ABV and I dont necessarily taste where the "cream ale" name comes from, but I would drink more. I do have another bottle to compare this first one too-maybe I will drink it next week or something.

2.06/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance - all 7 ounces pour easily into a pilsner glass leaving room at the top to spare. Yellowish, straw beer, a white fizzy head is short-lived and actually maintains a partial cover thanks to some good beading. Even some scant lace along the edges.

Aroma - sweet, grainy, like a diluted malt liquor.

Taste - husky grain flavor, very middle of the road. A trace of cereal and skunk, a little more than a trace actually, more coming out with warming. Even a touch of metal. Basic macro beer with too many issues.

Mouthfeel - thin, crispy, zippy.

Drinkability - sampled for posterity's sake. Not my kind of beer, though I would buy it now and then to accomodate the swill-mongers.

Little Kings Cream Ale from Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.