Little Kings Cream Ale - Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.

Little Kings Cream AleLittle Kings Cream Ale

good

Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Cream Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 08-19-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Little Kings Cream Ale Alström Bros
2.42/5  rDev -20.4%

Little Kings Cream Ale pours hazy with a pale straw color. A very hard pour gave a small, creamy head that vanished quickly.
Sweet aroma; no hops.
Taste starts sweet then quickly digresses to a bland sour. No hops here either.
The moderate carbonation turns thin and watery fast.
Because the taste and feel of this beer change from decent to almost bad so fast, I didn't find it very drinkable. I'll pass on this one next time.

3.6/5  rDev +18.4%

I have a history with this beer.

It was a warm summertime twilight, the last time I felt like a kid. I was barely 17, my first summer out of high school. Dad took me and my sister and a pair of our friends all the way to Ohio to visit Cedar Point, the rollercoasteryest theme park in the entire goddamn world. Seven hour drive but it was strangely happy. No fights, even in the heat. Not that we were too old to fight; we were too excited.

We got there and we were kids, finally. Never had the money for theme parks when we were really little. In the backyard, the little pricks up the street wore their damn Mickey Mouse ears for almost two weeks after they got back. We hated them, and it was jealousy. They didn't deserve it.

But, fuckit, we went there! We spent two days at the best theme park in the world. I ate nothing but cotton candy and cheated so I could ride the Millennium Force twice within a span of 15 minutes. I almost blacked out. It was awesome.

And now, this night, we were tired. Two days of sun, walking all over, getting blown violently through space two or three times an hour. We were going to a new hotel, slightly closer to home, but first... a mysterious destination. Port Clinton, Ohio. An island about twenty city blocks long and twelve wide, right in the middle of a big fucking lake that we had to take a jet powered ferry to get to. I had never been on a boat before. My hair flew back, the white streaks of foam beneath me, and I knew I would die if I fell in, but I knew I would never let go of the railing.

Here we were, on a small island consisting of nothing but bars, pizza places, and a giant lighthouse that was the site of the world's first ship to shore radio broadcast. A-and they had world's longest bar, too. There was even a plaque to prove it!

I couldn't drink at the bars. I was too young to want to. I wanted pizza, soda pop. Drinking beer was what you did behind a shed or at the home of a really poor kid whose parents were too drunk to care.

Noise everywhere. Downwind of a carnival. Acoustic guitars, the high, desperate laughter of the mirthless, squeezing out every ounce of fun from this one night of seven when they weren't miserable. Not careless, not really happy. Just not miserable, for a little while.

It smelled like grilling meat and freshwater. Near the lighthouse, it smelled like grass.

At the lighthouse, we snuck in. Everybody, and dad opened up a duffle bag I hadn't noticed him holding. And inside there was a pack of tiny little bottles. I was out of highschool, he said, old enough to drink a little. As many as I wanted, here in the lighthouse. My friend, too. Don't tell your parents. He wouldn't, he promised.

The ride home was even blurrier, the jet ferry moved even faster, and I felt even more of a disconnect between us and the hordes of drunken middle aged people being shipped back to their cars. We were a group, beerwarm, sun tired, full of pizza. I don't remember the drive home, or anything after it.

Aside from Hamm's, that was my first beer that didn't come from BMC, and my first in front of my father. I got to be a kid and an adult in the same day.

The pour, almost six years later:

Aww, isn't that cute? Little guy doesn't even fill up the whole glass! Slight haze. Decent gold. Almost no head, almost no lacing.

Light and crisp, adjunct corn, prickly fruit esters, and a slight cream. Not bad at all, actually. Think Rolling Rock, only with the canned veggies taken down a notch and replaced with creaminess. No hint of adjunct metal.

Corn, cream, fruit. Ends with a very strong node of sweet cream and a slight, lingering hop. Totally decent. Actually, pretty good. Nice creamy body, and it's easy to drink an entire eight pack.

Every year since then, right as it's starting to get warm, I start thinking about taking another trip to Cedar Point, to Port Clinton. I'd pay (most) of my own way now, of course, but it'd be pretty much the same. Me, Dad, Sis, and whatever friends we want to bring along. I always talk about it to whoever is around when the idea comes into my head, they always agree that it's great, we should definitely do it, and it's never spoken of after that night. It wouldn't be the same. I always realize that when I sober up.

3.1/5  rDev +2%

7 oz bottle pours with a slight haze , not much head

Smell is slightly corny, no perceivable hop aroma.

Taste is a little tart , grainy , and metallic.

Mouthfeel is creamy , thin , well carbonated.

Drinrkabilty is average , nothing that keeps me from having another.

2.68/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured a pale yellow clear color with escaping bubbles of carbonation clearly visible. Head was large and thin with little lacing. Aroma was hops and some malt with plenty of adjuncts. Still, it had a certain pleasing quality to it. Body was light-to-medium. Flavor was on the sweet side but it did have some hops to balance. More character than your average macro, with a bit of toasty/biscuit flavor. Had a bit of prickly mouthfeel with maybe a bit of tartness. Drinkability was not bad, either--left you wanting more.

A unique beer, and as I remember it when I last had it 10 years ago. I remember I used to stop at Big Bear on my way home from work when I was in college and pick up a 40 or 2 for a couple of bucks. Time hurries on...

2.15/5  rDev -29.3%

To be honest, I only bought this beer with the intention of reviewing it. I don't really like the "cute" bottle. In fact, it makes me mad that I know it will only fill half my glass. Oh well, on to the beer...

Poured into a pint glass, this is a very pale and cloudy brew, almost no head or carbonation to speak of. It's just sitting there... The intital aromas are all sweet malts, not too skunky, but a slight odor of cooked veggies. A bit earthy. Not much in the hop department.

Taste, as I expected, is all-malt as well, slightly nutty, but with a weird and unpleasant sour and soapy taste. Is that supposed to be the bitters? Whatever it is, it's wholly unpleasant. Thin in the mouth and slightly dry going down. Yes, it is creamy, so I guess the description fits, but I'm telling ya, I'm going to have a really hard time choking this mini-bottle down. I'll just leave it to the ladies....

3.48/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Little Kings in a little bottle. This is one of the coolst bottles I've ever seen! Too kewl for skewl. Contract brrewed by Frederick.

Half-fills a tulip glass with a foggy cloudy light straw hue toped by a scant ivory collar.

Slight vanilla and dairy nose met with a wet sand aroma and a mild touch of waffle and orange.

First swigs: Probably meant to be consumed out of the little cute bottle, but son of a gun if there ain't some "creamy" plain yougurt flavor and texture to this appelation of cream ale.

Feel is crisp and medium bodied.

Last swigs: More of a plain yogurt flavor than any other beer I've ever had. 5.5% ABV is impalpable. What this lacks in grace, it makes up for in uniqueness. A sure try for the beer curious. I asked for "different" and I got "different" Nice. 35/3.29

Beer is good. Happy surprise diferent little beerings.

2.85/5  rDev -6.3%

If poured it's a golden color with a flowing white head, with light body and moderate carbonation. The scent is very light with hints of grass.Flavor was pretty good but no real hops that stood out. The mouthfeel was rather disappointing by my standards but all in all I was happy to relive my youth.I drank these a lot growing up ....but they are now somewhat rare to find anymore .

3.03/5  rDev -0.3%

Ah, Little Kings...

I'm afraid that the beer was made - not exactly crafted - many years ago, with little consideration given to how it might be reviewed.

I first drank this cream ale before much care was given to appearance, smell, or mouthfeel.This would have been in the late '60's-very early '70's. The typical drinker didn't consider such aspects of the brew. Instead, it was the size of the bottle and the fact that one might drink several of them that was its appeal. That, and the fact that the typical drinker was young, and several (read: the standard 8-pack) Little Kings would render him/her drunk.

But I've matured. Still, the brew's main appeal - for me - is that it is quite drinkable and the taste does nothing to keep one from having yet another one. The appearance, smell, and mouthfeel scores still seem correct. But if you're just old enough - or not quite old enough - to buy the stuff, it still has that appeal, that mystique.

2.03/5  rDev -33.2%

Very pale yellow in colour with lots of carbonation and an odd soap-bubbly head. There’s a strange fruity (apple perhaps?) aroma to this one, along with some corn notes. There are some bready malt flavors, along with more corn. Very thin bodied. I found it hard to finish even though the bottle was so small. Gernerally yucky.

3.03/5  rDev -0.3%

This is a green 8 ounce bottle brewed for Schoenling by Snyder Intl Brewing Group of Frederick MD. I think Sam Adams bought the Schoenling Cincinnatti brewery. The pour is a dull almost cloudy straw to gold color. A white whisp of head caps it off. The aroma is soapy, grassy sweet malty corny, not exciting. Flavor, is sweet and grassy, almost sweetener type sweet. The body leans toward the syrupy side. THe aftertaste returns to the grassiness as it dries up. Just a run of the mill adjunct brew with a bit more flavor, drink it cold.

2.9/5  rDev -4.6%

I dig this stuff... Cool bottle, cool flavor, overall a very cool brew. Had a pretty golden color with a cloud-like white head. Medium carbonation. Not much detected when smelled, only natural grassy like odors, and even those were quite light. Flavor was pretty good, tasted like sweet cream corn that was over cooked. Finish was kind of syrupy, and slightly overpowering, with notes of artificial sweetness. Not bad though, I like to have this brew every once in awhile. Worth a try, if you can find it.

2.95/5  rDev -3%

Scene 1: (Ohio, high school, many years ago)

classmate: "hey, how many brewskis have you guys had tonight?"
me (and friends): "we've already had a sixer each" <of Little Kings, hehehe>

Scene 2: (Iowa, 2005)

wife: (with a note of mild irritation) "How many have you had today?"
me: "honest Hon, I've only had one" <growler, hehehe>

Now I just lie in a different direction. I'm so ashamed.

Pale, lightly hazed lemon-amber topped by a small, off-white head that is disappearing before my very eyes. Other than the fact that it's strange to see an entire bottle fill barely half of my pint glass, there isn't a whole lot of interest here. Little Kings looks like any other macro lager, though the cap is smaller and shorter lived than most.

There isn't much of interest in the nose either. The aroma is even more muted than it would otherwise be since the beer is several inches away (maybe I should have poured it into a small juice glass). Sweet, untoasted grain... that's about it. No nastiness.

This is far from good beer, but it's a damn sight better than the standard offerings from BMC. The fact that it's a cream ale rather than an adjunct lager might have something to do with that (although I'm sure that adjuncts have been used). The flavor is semi-bold, a little appley and maltier than expected. I could drink a few of these if I was hot and they were cold.

The finish is criminally short, but that's probably for the best. Even though the flavor is sort of agreeable, I'm not sure that it would fare too well if examined with a great deal of scrutiny. The mouthfeel is ale-like, which is only right since it's an ale rather than a lager. Slightly too bubbly, but not enough to annoy.

I have to admit, despite the nostalgia thing, I wasn't expecting much out of this little 7 ounce bottle. I didn't really get much either, but I do think more highly of it than I expected to. Even though I'm glad that Little Kings is still being brewed, I doubt that I'd buy it on a regular basis. Maybe once a year if I felt like reliving my youth. Okay, so I'm a sentimental liar.

2.42/5  rDev -20.4%

An eight pack of pony bottles, what we used to call "splits' when it came to Rolling Rocks or Matt's Premium in the late 70s. Dull less-than-golden color, head struggles very low and then vanishes completely. Very little lace, just a few dots on one side of a Pilsner glass. Vegetal aromas, slightly toffee but with some definite traces of cooked greens. Light body, average carbonation. The flavor is subdued, vaguely sticky and bready and sweet with a severe lack of detectable hops. Seems slightly seltzery in the close but also seems easy going with its light sweetness and little else. In the long run, though, there's really not much of anything going on with this beer.

2.63/5  rDev -13.5%

The beer evacuates the stubby green bottle a limpid gold color with a bright white modest creamy head that erodes leaving a thin layer of lace to obfuscate the glass. Nose is crisp and clean, sweet malt dominates, start is sweet and pleasantly malted, top is thin in its feel upon the palate. Finish is benign in its acidity and the hops light in their spiciness, dry aftertaste, a drinkable beer.

2.25/5  rDev -26%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

7oz. bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a medium gold color with half a finger of head that dies quickly. There's almost no lacing. The smell is sweet and malty, has a bit of a corn smell to it as well. No real trace of hops. The taste is malty and corny, with a slight burning sensation on the finish. The body is actually fairly thick. The drinkability is ok as well. Really needs some work.

3.2/5  rDev +5.3%

I started drinking this stuff at my friends bar in Cleveland ,OH - The Little King's Lounge - they were almost exclusive in their carrying of the beer as far as bars in the city went. Doesnt smell the best , but its small size (7oz) makes drinking them easy. The fairly potent AC (5.5%) tends to creep up on you after an 8 pack of them or so. They just started brewing them again from a hiatus of a couple years. There was a Little Kings Red that was around years ago , was dumped after the first brewery quit brewing them and the rights were resold to another company.

3.98/5  rDev +30.9%

"Not Recomended" ??? Awww, c'mon, guys. This may not be the best beer in the world, but it's a good, clean, crisp beer that goes down easy. I used to buy these in the cute little 7-ounce bottles when I lived in Denver, and I could knock down ten of 'em on a hot Summer afternoon! A bit on the light side, but that's what made them so easy to knock off! And with those nifty little bottles, they never go flat or get warm. I wish I could buy them where I now live, in Arizona!

3.65/5  rDev +20.1%

I found a sixer of this in Tulsa OK, and I had never heard of it so I picked it up, however these were 12oz bottles not the 7ozers like people have been describing. Anyway I was kind of weary of this beer when I took a wiff, it had the smell of a 40oz of OE, however after the first taste I knew that I had nothing to worry about. I rather enjoyed this beer. I usually opt for the darker beers, but I will drink anything however this was suprising. The appearance was light with a white head that left some lace and the taste was nice and light with a big mouthfeel on the back of the tongue. It does have a nice creamy feel to it and I highly recommend this to anyone who likes a nice creamy beer.

2.45/5  rDev -19.4%

A trip down memory lane here, when a keg of fresh Cincinnati beer, or a few Little Kings were the college thing to do, in Lexington, Ky. This review is based on serving one of these little 7 oz buggers in a glass, instead of drinking them straight from the bottle as intended.

Appearance gets an extra .5 point for the cute, little 7 ounce bottles. Otherwise, it pours a clear, light gold body with a skimpy white head that immediately falls into a film. No lacing is present.

Aroma is subdued, thankfully. Not much to smell, other than what I perceive as carbonated corn syrup.

Mouthfeel is very light bodied, with adequate carbonation.

Taste is unremarkable. Vaguely reminiscent of Rolling Rock, but without the skunk. No malt presence is noted, but this does seem to have some bittering hops. A faint metallic note is also present. Very watery for a cream ale. Adjuncts(corn?) seem to dominate the mild taste.

This isn't awful, but I sense nothing to really recommend it, other than its historical relationship to the old Cincinnati breweries.

2.7/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A review down the line from Masterbruewer gives a great historic edge to understanding this little brew. For myself I picked up a 24 pk. for 10.99, a deal to stock up with. It poured a bright golden yellow with an average size, soft white head. Carbonation is medium but it still fades quickly to a film. Lace is not to be found. The aroma is mettalic and sulphury. The taste is semi-sweet corn, faint tart hop and faint on malt. An aquired taste perhaps, but not all that bad. Its not a big brewery beer but a little bargain attempt at best.

2.38/5  rDev -21.7%

Hrmm, this beer must be marketed towards children as it comes in a cute little bottle.
Pours out to a light orange-golden without forming a head despite a strong pour. No retention or lacing. Carbonation is mild to moderate. Aroma is distinctly of apple and grape juice, with a hint of sweetly fruity vinous alcohol, caramel, and honey. No hop or malt aroma. No skunk either, because there are no hops! Mouthfeel is brisk and tart with a medium-light body. Taste is not actually too bad, but not really beer either. Tastes like Woodchuck dark and dry mixed 50/30/20 with Zima and Bud Light. This seriously tastes like apple juice! No hop or malt taste. Finish is clean and brief. Thankfully no hint of corn, which is actually a complement to this bizarre candy brew.

A perfect novelty "beer" if you wanna get it on with drunk college coeds and don't mind a serious headache the morning after. They will drink this up like wildfire, plus it comes in a cute little bottle and tastes better than Ommegang! Aghhh, why does my right eye hurt?

1.98/5  rDev -34.9%

Acquired via trade. I guess when I was afraid that I would never see a bottle of Little Kings on store shelves ever again I figured I owed it to the Ohio brewing community to at least try it. Needless to say getting through the seemingly insubstantial 7oz was no small task. The beer pours a rather bright yellow color with a thin and quickly dying head. No real lacing to speak of. The aroma is a little musty but there are some hops trying to make their presence felt. The body is weak, and so is the watery hops flavor with hints of sourness here and there. The finish is kind of the last gasp in this little guy. I guess on some level I am glad I tried it but it's just not a good beer.

1.65/5  rDev -45.7%

pours out a hazy dark golden colour...minimal head and no lace. an adjuncty, sulphury, aroma...smells cheap. mega corn taste...some well hidden fruit and yeast. mouthfeel is sort of rough and gritty, not really creamy at all. drinkability is low, and although i'll polish off the eight pak of seven ouncers, i won't be purchasing this ever again. this is a poor beer.

3.05/5  rDev +0.3%

This is a beer I know intimately. The 7 oz green bottles remind me of my Cincinnati teen years.

The story is, the owner of the original Montgomery Inn near Cincinnati had a few customers who would stop by for a beer on the way home from work, but found a 12 oz bottle too much to have before going home to the wife and kids. The owner talked to someone from Schoenling and Little Kings were born.

That was in the 50s. In the late 70s and 80s, Little Kings were popular among the high school set because of the price (low) and their size (small enough to consume quickly or hide if needed.)
I usually drink it from the little green bottle, but for the sake of this review, I'm pouring it into a pint glass.

It pours a light golden color, no real head to speak of, lace disappeared quickly too. Almost no carbonation.

It has a sweet smell, almost like champagne, very sweet, cheap champagne, but champagne none the less.

The taste is sweet and malty, it can get skunky if not kept cold, I know this from my high school days when an 8 pack of "Little Killers" could be kept surreptitously in my multi-pocketed trench coat.

Oddly enough, it seems to me to taste a little better in a pint glass. It has a tendency to get skunky if not properly maintained, but this pint, kept cold, keeps a good flavor.

The mouthfeel is thin and a little syrupy and leaves a sweet light film on the tongue, which isn't necessarily as good as it might sound.

Little Killers go well with sliders (White Castle cheeseburgers), especially at the end of a night of bar hopping. But be warned, either the killers or the sliders by themselves can give you "stomach discomfort."

This beer is an acquired taste, but highly drinkable when you know what to expect.

3.35/5  rDev +10.2%

Color is of yellow light gold, close to pale, but definately not clear, thin white head of loose froth fades some to a thin haze always present and no lace. Smell is all sweet corn and not much else, maybe a hint of floralness, hard to get past the sweetness. Taste is more sweetened corn and grains, creamy, and airy frothed malts, very fresh and farmy, like a farmers own home brew with the ingredients grown in his fields out on a Iowa flat. In that fashion, it has a quality like no other Cream ale. Feel is a light delight of creamy easyness and light carbonation which makes for a good "little" summer drink.

Little Kings Cream Ale from Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.