Hudy 14-K - Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.

Hudy 14-KHudy 14-K

Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Pale Lager |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: FtownThrowDown on 09-26-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by BLove:
2.68/5  rDev -17.3%

A: Poured from can to a pint glass. Golden yellow, with substantial & often out-of-hand light foamy head.

S: Mostly grain with a bit of alcohol

T: Corn, faint malt? Best when cold, tends to get soapy & harsh if it comes to room temp

M: Light body, but not thin. Good carbonation, refreshing.

D: Not bad for the price. Decent flavor, just an easy drinking american pale lager.

BLove, Jan 31, 2011

BFC84, Jul 08, 2012
2.53/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

12 ounce bottle. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear dark gold color with a small off-white head. The head didn't stick around for long, and there isn't much lacing. It smells mostly like grainy/bready malt, along with a bit of a vegetal aroma. The taste is pretty much the same as the aroma, it's mostly grainy/sweet malt and not much else. Not bad, but not really good either. Mouthfeel/body is light, it's thin and watery but is also easy to drink. I've had worse, I really wasn't expecting much when I bought a single of this for 99 cents. Nice to try, but I wouldn't buy it again.

bluejacket74, May 18, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +8%

M477H3W, Apr 30, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -15.1%

Shoney_35, Nov 21, 2013
3.33/5  rDev +2.8%

12oz can
Served in a pilsner glass

A - It pours straw colored with a good three inches of white head.

S - I get a soapy aroma. It's probably some floral hops at work.

T - I get some grain and a little bit of that floral thing still going on. It has some faint fruitiness.

M - Thin

O - I like it because it has some taste. I would keep it as guest beer if it were available locally. At least I can get Burger.

buschbeer, May 10, 2012
2.15/5  rDev -33.6%

I remember even living in St. Louis in my younger days watching the Cardinals play in Cincy against the Reds and Hudy signs around Riverfront Stadium. I had never tasted this beer in its glory days so when I saw Hudy 14-K at my local liquor store here in Kentucky I had to give this a try at $7.99 a 12 pack.

Without trying, this beer was mostly foam when I poured this into my pint glass. Tons of carbonation as this beer is a golden yellow with a huge white head that won't quit.

The smell was not pleasant. Cooked sweet corn, some veggies and maybe a faint whiff of apples. The taste was of cooked corn, a hint of bitterness and a metallic taste as well. Believe it or not, I prefer drinking this beer straight out of the can. don't let this beer warm up either. Leaves a nasty aftertaste when warm.

The mouthfeel was of an average adjunct lager, just a bit thicker than water. I can drink a couple of these on a hot summer day but then I want to find something else. I have had much worse but I won't be seeking Hudy 14-K again any time soon.

Ottertude, Jul 06, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +32.7%

This beer has a great crisp taste, and an even better price, can't get any better for your money. Grab a case next time your headed out for a tailgate or barbecue, or just need a break from the other generic American style lagers.

Although for some reason it makes my face very warm, no other beer does that to me....

GregZeppelin09, Feb 03, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +10.5%

An old local favorite is back. Finally being brewed and brought back to a local market. Picked up a twelve pack on a sentimental note and enjoying with my father on college football Saturday.
Pours a crystal clear light gold in color. There's a very nice inch of head that forms on the pour. A little white ring sticks around the perimeter of the glass.
Smell is mostly grain and lager. This is an old school lawn mower beer.
Taste is just pure lager. Unobtrusive and easy drinking. Perfect amount of lite carbonation to go with it. For a cheap lager, I prefer this by light years over BMC. Very easy drinking and I'll enjoy the rest of the twelve pack.

FtownThrowDown, Sep 26, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +38.9%

Waymore, Feb 11, 2013
4.3/5  rDev +32.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

CAN you dig it? I pulled off a major trade in the Heinz Field parking lot a couple of weeks ago before watching Pitt lose (by a missed PAT!) to Cincy. I think that I developed a slight head cold during the snowy weather and so my reviews got put on hold until my sinuses cleared. Let the CAN Quest continue!

My pour created two fingers' worth of rapidly disappearing bone- white head that bubbled and foamed like it was cleaning out my bathtub. The color was a deep golden-yellow that lived up to its 14 carat name in terms of its appearance, coupled with its NE-quality clarity. Nose was slightly sweet and lager-like. Is it possible that this was produced without adjuncts?!? It did not have that characteristic cereal sweetness. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, but it tasted like a real lager, unadulterated. I may be in love! Finish was dry and crisp. I could drink this on a regular basis if it were available in my area. Worth seeking out!

woodychandler, Dec 22, 2009

meanmutt, Mar 19, 2012
3.18/5  rDev -1.9%

12 ounce bottle from Ryan011235, poured into a shaker pint. See-thru gold with a fizzy head that becomes a thin collar and a few wispy patches in short order. No lacing.

Smells of apple sweetness, very light malt, a faint hint of citrus. Kinda doughy, too. The same qualities are present in the flavor to varying degrees. The apple and lemon make a respectable showing from themselves. Grains and a touch of bitterness emerge. Plenty carbonated, which helps scrub away some of that doughiness. It's no Burger Classic, but it's pretty decent.

Premium Beer

PDXHops, Sep 28, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -20.4%

A- Pours a light yellow color with a thin white foam head that leaves little lacing.

S- Mostly grain and faint alcohol aroma.

T- Cooked cream corn and a touch of apple in the finish. A bit soapy and harsh.

M- Light bodied with ok carbonation.

D- Not really what I hoped it would be (a cheap decent substitute for session nights).

projectflam86, Feb 06, 2010
2.9/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - basic straw/gold look. Thin, white head, short-lived.

Aroma - clean, grainy, a touch vegetal.

Taste - mildly sweet, basic grainy flavor, but reasonably tasty. Not sure if that's a whisper of hops on the swallow...or just carbonation.

Mouthfeel - light, crisp, a touch watery but it's on par for the style.

Drinkability - it goes down easily and quickly as I listen to Reds/Giants on WLW.

brewdlyhooked13, Apr 26, 2012

mcorwin, Jan 20, 2012
3.15/5  rDev -2.8%

Had this badboy downtown Cincy on Fountain Platz right before Carson Palmer's amazing game-winning drive to finish off the Steelers. Great refreshing beer from a local company. I could drink a few of these in a sittng. Great tailgating or lawn beer. Aside from those situations there isnt a reason to drink this though. Very refreshing but not much there.

pumarocks, Oct 01, 2009
3.6/5  rDev +11.1%

I had a 6 pack of this. I really was eager to try one of the old Cincy Beers that have been recently revived. I really miss the old Burger, LIttle Kings, and especially Christian Moerlein...which was the best beer around Cincy for a long time.

A- A paler yellow than I would want. Poured clean and got head on it in the glass but did not retain like a pro.

S-Like mild bread with maltiness...hoppy...grassy perhaps, and slightly skunky, not in a bad way though and not overwhelming. Unfortunately there was a metallic smell to it in the can that was very distracting. I had to start pouring it in glasses to finish out the 6 pack.

T- a little light corn or grain....a slight whisky like grain taste, with a little hoppy tartness that was Ok. SOme in cincy call this taste 'zingy'. Maybe so. Not like I remembered it...maybe it was still the can effect lingering.

M- a bit light to me. Good strong Carbonation. Almost watery though...a little more like a light beer though it isn't. NOT unpleasant, but not in line with the style in my opinion.

O-Decent. Not a 'sit on the porch and sip" beer. More of a beer for filling a cooler before a grill out or tailgate party. I was a little disappointed, but I am going to try to find some in bottles. It is a B beer.

UKBeerman, May 14, 2011
3.4/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Look- Yellow with a short term white head that begins well but does not last.
Aroma Pretty much a lager with a bit more fruitiness to the grain + yeast than I expected.
Taste Well, I don't know if they went adjuct at all but it'd decent,Unlike a typical corn beer,this isn't fizzy,watery,sweet or finishing with the flavors of brake drums and plywood. It's a retro re-do of the Hudy my mom and dad drank,what I had at the bars in Cincy many many years ago ( the 3.2% version for 18 yr olds)....or is it really? I'm not quite getting the same beery scent aned this seems not very carbonated, which I don't remember. It however...seems a bit more refined. Sort of a light lager/pils yet more substance than a BMC, this is a good lawnmower lager...and $4 a sixer. A bit of it gave some flavor to a couple Brats in the skillet and the rest accompanied them from my glass.

Mouth- For a beer not looking to be big,and on the lager/pils cusp I'd expect a bit more carbo but the texture has some creaminess and is decent for the type,not some dilluted kitty pee. There's none of that rank you get in a Coors if it warms to 45 degrees.
Drinkability. Time Tough, time tough,everything is going higher and higher,higher and higher. In the words of Toots and The Maytals, and tough times can mean a squeeze on the beer budget,so a $4 sixer is a friend indeed. I never had one of those Pennsylvania Ying A Ling beers but this might compete well as an emergency beer when $ are few. It's a decent yardwork beer for hot days when having 3 or 4 goes well.

rembrant, Feb 05, 2011

mwar, Mar 24, 2013

Dapperticus, Dec 16, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -22.8%

Greasy, Jan 01, 2014
3.25/5  rDev +0.3%

HopsMathias, Mar 04, 2013
2.59/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Pours a brilliant medium golden with a frothy ivory head that dissipates fairly quickly.

Grain, sweet corn adjunct, alcohol, light fruity estery notes, and a metallic character form the aroma, along with a hint of floral hop.

The metallic character carries into the flavor, which finishes bready and a touch dry. Acetaldehyde surfaces in the form of green apple, and the fruity esters are more subtle than anticipated. Becomes peppery in aftertaste.

Body is moderate, as is carbonation, and there's a touch of astringency at the finish.

Estery and metallic characters dominate. More character than some.

barczar, Sep 01, 2013
4.1/5  rDev +26.5%

Well I've been living in Cincy for a few years now and have heard of the rich beer brewing history and now that some of the classic beers from the 1800's are coming back I thought I would try them.

Last week I bought some Burger Classic, and while it is not too bad Hudy 14- K is much better.

Hudy 14-K is a very very good 6.99/12 pack beer. It has a pretty nice head for such a light lager and is very crisp and refreshing.

Not much of a review needed for this one but overall, this is a very easy to drink beer with good flavor and at 6.99, it's a bargain. Much better than any Busch/PBR/Natty beer.

Next time you are in Cincy pick up a twelve pack you won't be disappointed!

iaminflames, Mar 15, 2010
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Hudy 14-K from Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.