Hudy 14-K - Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.

Hudy 14-KHudy 14-K

Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Pale Lager |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: FtownThrowDown on 09-26-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
4.5/5  rDev +38.9%

Waymore, Feb 11, 2013
4.3/5  rDev +32.7%

This beer has a great crisp taste, and an even better price, can't get any better for your money. Grab a case next time your headed out for a tailgate or barbecue, or just need a break from the other generic American style lagers.

Although for some reason it makes my face very warm, no other beer does that to me....

GregZeppelin09, Feb 03, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +32.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

CAN you dig it? I pulled off a major trade in the Heinz Field parking lot a couple of weeks ago before watching Pitt lose (by a missed PAT!) to Cincy. I think that I developed a slight head cold during the snowy weather and so my reviews got put on hold until my sinuses cleared. Let the CAN Quest continue!

My pour created two fingers' worth of rapidly disappearing bone- white head that bubbled and foamed like it was cleaning out my bathtub. The color was a deep golden-yellow that lived up to its 14 carat name in terms of its appearance, coupled with its NE-quality clarity. Nose was slightly sweet and lager-like. Is it possible that this was produced without adjuncts?!? It did not have that characteristic cereal sweetness. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, but it tasted like a real lager, unadulterated. I may be in love! Finish was dry and crisp. I could drink this on a regular basis if it were available in my area. Worth seeking out!

woodychandler, Dec 22, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +28.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Ryan011235 for this bottle, pulled from the 6 pack for a proper tick. You know I'm cheap when I have to bum a Hudy off of someone. Poured into a pint.

Appearance
Really not good looking. The head is coarse and fizzles out very quickly with loud crackles. It rests totally lifelessly, no head, no bubbles, nothing. The color is nice though. Its a clear goldenrod. I think this is where they get the 14-K moniker.

Aroma
Toasty grains, tea-like hops with little dashes of lemon and dough, respectively. The aroma is weak, but its certainly well structured and by no means off putting. It doesn't have that husky, corny, boiled veggies smell, so that's a huge plus.

Taste
This has to be the best of this style I've tasted. Its actually very enjoyable. I'm not struggling through this beer by any means. Lots of lemon starts things off, by this flavor breaks quickly in favor of a light cracker dough malt sweetness. The finish sees another go at lemony hops just before an abrupt, clean ending.

Mouthfeel
Of course, this is highly carbonated. That's just a characteristic of this style. But the body is fuller and more smooth than the appearance would lead you to believe. The finish is clean and very dry.

Overall
This is the best of the style, that I've had. Its cheap, $5.99 per 6 pack. I'll have to keep this stocked.

MbpBugeye, Jun 04, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +26.5%

Well I've been living in Cincy for a few years now and have heard of the rich beer brewing history and now that some of the classic beers from the 1800's are coming back I thought I would try them.

Last week I bought some Burger Classic, and while it is not too bad Hudy 14- K is much better.

Hudy 14-K is a very very good 6.99/12 pack beer. It has a pretty nice head for such a light lager and is very crisp and refreshing.

Not much of a review needed for this one but overall, this is a very easy to drink beer with good flavor and at 6.99, it's a bargain. Much better than any Busch/PBR/Natty beer.

Next time you are in Cincy pick up a twelve pack you won't be disappointed!

iaminflames, Mar 15, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +25.9%

It pours a Bright Yellow,, Smells Very Pleasant, Light Foamy head that dies Down Quick.. Very Nice Lacing as you drink it..

Has a good German beer taste to it,, Slight Aftertaste, But very drinkable.. Good on a HOT summer day.. Better in Bottles than cans.

Glad to see a Small Brewery putting out a quality Product..

LWG1970, Nov 22, 2010

Dapperticus, Dec 16, 2011

RuebenRox, Sep 08, 2013

Bought at the local Cincinnati grocer on sale for $6.99/12pk. Hell of a deal :) The grocers around here keep Hodepohl on constant "sale" prices year-round. $5.99/12pk burger and $6.99/12pk Hudy (all kinds). I'm waiting anxiously for the amber in 12pks, but I digress.

Appearance: Light Golden with a subtle amber color. A huge white head with a generous pour to the sniffer glass. Nothing floating, as expected with a beer of the "pale lager" class. Plenty of head, probably lots of head.

Smell: Not much with the smell. A bit of lightly roasted malts (probably more like toasted as a previous reviewer said). A classic lager smell but I can't detect that overwhelming smell of dough. None of the "bad" smells are present. You know what I mean - that smell of "not that great" quality. Bits of alcohol and boiled rice. None of that here - smells like a classy pale lager.

Taste: Honestly the taste surprises me. It is downright pleasant for this style of beer. I'm a big "american strong ale" drinker so I have to make sure I am paying attention to this beer relative to the style. And I think they nailed it. There is a nice smoothness to the beer and a subtle malty backtaste but you've gotta search for it. There is no alcohol burn whatsoever which gives me the impression that they didn't rush it. Touches of light lemon with the subtle hop impression makes for a tasty swallow. The only thing (and this may be the strong point) is that there is no overwhelming memorable taste. Incredibly smooth is the major characteristic of this beer. The wife is picky on these light and pale lagers. I bring home lots of cheap stuff trying to find that diamond in the ruff. She likes the 14-K!

Mouthfeel: A decent amount of carbonation that dies off quickly. Leaves a bit of a malty residue that doesn't build up in a bad way like some beers. A nice medium body to it that swishes around comfortably.

Overall: This is a solid effort by Hudepohl-Schoenling. Thanks Guys! This is a young beer, only about a year and a half since they "brought it back" from the dead. There is an upcoming Hudy 14-K race coming up with this beer as the main sponsor (just like in the good old days). Cincinnati is coming back and I'm proud to say that this pale lager does it justice. Now can we please get a Cincinnati Strong Ale????!

As one reviewer put it - maybe not a "sit on the porch and sip it" beer but definitely a solid "throw it in the cooler for a canoe trip or tailgating" beer.

frikker, Jul 06, 2011
3.6/5  rDev +11.1%

I had a 6 pack of this. I really was eager to try one of the old Cincy Beers that have been recently revived. I really miss the old Burger, LIttle Kings, and especially Christian Moerlein...which was the best beer around Cincy for a long time.

A- A paler yellow than I would want. Poured clean and got head on it in the glass but did not retain like a pro.

S-Like mild bread with maltiness...hoppy...grassy perhaps, and slightly skunky, not in a bad way though and not overwhelming. Unfortunately there was a metallic smell to it in the can that was very distracting. I had to start pouring it in glasses to finish out the 6 pack.

T- a little light corn or grain....a slight whisky like grain taste, with a little hoppy tartness that was Ok. SOme in cincy call this taste 'zingy'. Maybe so. Not like I remembered it...maybe it was still the can effect lingering.

M- a bit light to me. Good strong Carbonation. Almost watery though...a little more like a light beer though it isn't. NOT unpleasant, but not in line with the style in my opinion.

O-Decent. Not a 'sit on the porch and sip" beer. More of a beer for filling a cooler before a grill out or tailgate party. I was a little disappointed, but I am going to try to find some in bottles. It is a B beer.

UKBeerman, May 14, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +10.5%

An old local favorite is back. Finally being brewed and brought back to a local market. Picked up a twelve pack on a sentimental note and enjoying with my father on college football Saturday.
Pours a crystal clear light gold in color. There's a very nice inch of head that forms on the pour. A little white ring sticks around the perimeter of the glass.
Smell is mostly grain and lager. This is an old school lawn mower beer.
Taste is just pure lager. Unobtrusive and easy drinking. Perfect amount of lite carbonation to go with it. For a cheap lager, I prefer this by light years over BMC. Very easy drinking and I'll enjoy the rest of the twelve pack.

FtownThrowDown, Sep 26, 2009

M477H3W, Apr 30, 2014

ChuckSchick, Jan 25, 2013

SteveMcGlone, Sep 17, 2014
3.4/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Look- Yellow with a short term white head that begins well but does not last.
Aroma Pretty much a lager with a bit more fruitiness to the grain + yeast than I expected.
Taste Well, I don't know if they went adjuct at all but it'd decent,Unlike a typical corn beer,this isn't fizzy,watery,sweet or finishing with the flavors of brake drums and plywood. It's a retro re-do of the Hudy my mom and dad drank,what I had at the bars in Cincy many many years ago ( the 3.2% version for 18 yr olds)....or is it really? I'm not quite getting the same beery scent aned this seems not very carbonated, which I don't remember. It however...seems a bit more refined. Sort of a light lager/pils yet more substance than a BMC, this is a good lawnmower lager...and $4 a sixer. A bit of it gave some flavor to a couple Brats in the skillet and the rest accompanied them from my glass.

Mouth- For a beer not looking to be big,and on the lager/pils cusp I'd expect a bit more carbo but the texture has some creaminess and is decent for the type,not some dilluted kitty pee. There's none of that rank you get in a Coors if it warms to 45 degrees.
Drinkability. Time Tough, time tough,everything is going higher and higher,higher and higher. In the words of Toots and The Maytals, and tough times can mean a squeeze on the beer budget,so a $4 sixer is a friend indeed. I never had one of those Pennsylvania Ying A Ling beers but this might compete well as an emergency beer when $ are few. It's a decent yardwork beer for hot days when having 3 or 4 goes well.

rembrant, Feb 05, 2011
3.35/5  rDev +3.4%

A value beer indeed. Found a twelve for six bucks, But tasty as well.

It pours golden yellow, well carbonated with spotty white lace.

Aroma is sweet corn grain and husk.

Taste of grain, corn, grass, and earth with a metalic undertones.

mouthfeel is a carbonated smoothness though left abit dry.

chilidog, Jul 16, 2011
3.33/5  rDev +2.8%

12oz can
Served in a pilsner glass

A - It pours straw colored with a good three inches of white head.

S - I get a soapy aroma. It's probably some floral hops at work.

T - I get some grain and a little bit of that floral thing still going on. It has some faint fruitiness.

M - Thin

O - I like it because it has some taste. I would keep it as guest beer if it were available locally. At least I can get Burger.

buschbeer, May 10, 2012
3.28/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Light herbal hop character in the nose. A touch of malt.

Little to no head dissipates quickly. No lacing. Very clear. Light yellow color. Lots of bubbles.

Hop character is up front followed by cooked corn. Medium bitterness for style.

Dry mouthfeel. Alcohol not noticeable. Very light.

A refreshing light beer. No flaws, I would drink this if someone handed it to me.

rlshep, Feb 02, 2011
3.25/5  rDev +0.3%

HopsMathias, Mar 04, 2013
3.18/5  rDev -1.9%

12 ounce bottle from Ryan011235, poured into a shaker pint. See-thru gold with a fizzy head that becomes a thin collar and a few wispy patches in short order. No lacing.

Smells of apple sweetness, very light malt, a faint hint of citrus. Kinda doughy, too. The same qualities are present in the flavor to varying degrees. The apple and lemon make a respectable showing from themselves. Grains and a touch of bitterness emerge. Plenty carbonated, which helps scrub away some of that doughiness. It's no Burger Classic, but it's pretty decent.

Premium Beer

PDXHops, Sep 28, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -2.8%

Had this badboy downtown Cincy on Fountain Platz right before Carson Palmer's amazing game-winning drive to finish off the Steelers. Great refreshing beer from a local company. I could drink a few of these in a sittng. Great tailgating or lawn beer. Aside from those situations there isnt a reason to drink this though. Very refreshing but not much there.

pumarocks, Oct 01, 2009

BFC84, Jul 08, 2012

meanmutt, Mar 19, 2012

mcorwin, Jan 20, 2012

Ezra-Poundit, Jul 24, 2014
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Hudy 14-K from Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.