Bürger Classic - Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.

Bürger ClassicBürger Classic

Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Pale Lager |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 08-29-2002

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last
1.4/5  rDev -55.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Pale urine colored with a mere skim of shock white foam. Untoasted grain and grits with a good blast of cooked corn. Wow, I think this beer is actually worse than I remembered from my late teen years. Green apple skin and wet cardboard with a buttery popcorn finish. Burger classic is just bad. (294 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -46.8%

A - Poured a very very light yellow with a fizzy white head that quickly died to nothing.

S - Smells like water used to soak a bunch of corn in, very little malt and absolutely no hops.

T - I can drink a lot of AAJ Lagers, but this sucks. It tastes much like it smells and that is awful.

M - Thin, weak, watery, I've drank tap water with better mouthfeel.

D - If I can barely get through one....

Overall, this beer is added to my list of beers that I wonder if ANYBODY actually tasted before they released it to the public. While it may have "classic" taste, it sucks. I can't imagine what executive of a company would sip this and declare it good enough for sale. Natural Light puts this beer to shame. If you want a Cincinnati AAJ, go get a Hudy. (753 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -41.3%

Brought to you today from the company the also brings you ...

Little Kings - Possibly the only "Cream Ale" in a 40!
14 K Premiem - Because nothing else screames good taste like middle of the road name association
Mt. Everest Malt Liquor - The top of the world of malt liquor... or makes your head feel like there's no oxygen in the room..
and other fine brews..but on the the important review...

Sampled from a 12 oz can that looks hauntingly familiar...hmm where have I seen a similar can before? I wonder..it almost looks like, but not quite...well anyway on to the beer..anyway onto info from their website...

Original Gravity: 11.2° plato
Final Gravity: 2.5° plato
Bitterness: 12 IBU's (low)
Color: 4 SRM (Golden-Straw)
Alcohol Content: 3.67% by weight - 4.62% by volume
Calories: 150 per 12 oz. serving
Carbohydrates: 12.4 grams

Poured a crystal clear golden yellow with a fair white head and little lacing to speak of.

Aromas almost identical Budweiser, but with a little more adjuctive smell of corn and rice. Not pleasant, but not as offensive as Burger Light.

Tasted....well...almost exactly like Budweiser...and the price for a case in NC is $11 wholesale so probably anywhere from $13-$15 retail....Hey are you guys sure this isn't Budweiser? Come on, really? Tasted of malt, barley, grains, corn husk, are rice. Medium-light body with medium-high carbonation. Very little mouth feel and the drinkability is not there due to the fact this is mostly swill. That being said I would choose Burger everyday of the week and twice on Sunday over Burger Light, but given that I have a choice I'll stay away from both completely. (1,661 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -34%

buschbeer was "kind" enough to bring me one of these from a trip to the Cinci area. Foamy head over a clear straw yellow hue. I would have to agree that the adjunct sweet scent is slightly stronger in this than other beers I've had. I even opened up a Bud Light for comparative purposes. Taste is pretty awful. This will be a one and done beer for me. (351 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -30.8%

I just had to try this stuff on my trip to the tri-state. I poured into a pint glass to a puffy white head. It is yellow and crystal clear. It smells sweet and tastes bad. It leaves a film in my mouth. Probably won't be trying this again, but at least I can say I tried it.

Skoal! (281 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -30.1%

poured a yellow with decent carbonation and head. the head settled quickly. smells sweet of grass and straw. taste is ok. kinda sweet. this would be another good bbq beer on a hot day. good thirst quencher in the summertime.

ok but not great.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet (277 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bunch of beers to cellar last night; I picked this up to save a few bucks. It's a drinkable beer for the price point. It's very sweet with a very mild hoppiness that doesn't really balance. It's got a decent level of carbonation, but it somehow seemed flat at times (probably just because it sits heavy on the tongue for a lighter beer). Not one to seek out, but if you find it on the shelf you might as well give it a try (it's too cheap to pass up). (465 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours a medium golden with a quickly disapating head and no lacing.

Smells like your typical adjunct lager, corny and grainy with a hint of alcohol.

A sweet grainy corn taste with more significant body than most in the genre. Quite drinkable, however not infinitely, as the taste does wear thin after a couple.

For the price this beer is better than it's competitors. However, $2.99 for a six pack quality does get old quickly. (430 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -12.5%

Appearance: This brew pours with a traditionally heavy American mass production head. As is typical of this type, the head fades quickly and the carbonation bubbles are large-adjunct in size. After settling down (not long) carbonation threads are conservative in number. Brew pours a very "Budweiser-like" gold.

Smell: Well....think mass market American Adjunct Beer. This selection is spot on for a standard rice infused lager.

Taste: Actually I was a little suprized with the flavor. Burger has a reputation as being a gutter-beer. Since this selection is (at this time) in limited production, it appears that more care than normal was being taken during manufacture. Certainly, this brew is not up to the standards of most micro-brews, however, I did not find this brew as distasteful. The best way to describe the flavor is a little Heineken Euro Lager mixed with a bottom shelf American Adjunct. Not excellent, but better than what I expected.

Mouthfeel: Similar to any mass market beer.

Drinkability: Similar to any mass market beer.

Conclusion: While I purchased this selection for the nostalgic component, I was surprised with the overall outcome. We will see if Burger continues in the general marketplace. IF it does, it will be interesting to see if it can maintain the current quality, or if it sags to the same level as Milwaukee's Best!

Prosit!
Nikki (1,370 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -11.5%

CAN you dig it? I pulled off a major trade in the Heinz Field parking lot a couple of weeks ago before watching Pitt lose (by a missed PAT!) to Cincy. I think that I developed a slight head cold during the snowy weather and so my reviews got put on hold until my sinuses cleared. Let the CAN Quest continue!

My pour created two fingers' worth of foamy, bubbling bone-white head with average retention. I could smell the cereal sweetness immediately! Color was a beautiful golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. As I lifted the glass to my nose, it simply reinforced what I had sensed during the pour. C'est la vie! Mouthfeel was medium with a sugary sweetness in the mouth. I was reminded of JuicyFruit gum, somehow. The finish was slightly dry, almost redeeming its intensity on the tongue. Not totally bad, overall, but not worth seeking out unless you decide to follow the quest. (883 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -9.6%

This beer should be a staple in my fridge solely for the Burger related jokes.

"Boy this is a good burger."
"You want a burger?"
"Last night I had four or five burgers."

Aroma - Sweet with just the hint of hops. Also and I'm not kidding I also smelled touches of fruit like apple and pineapple.

Appearance - Clear golden and poured with a big fluffy white head that quickly dissipated into a collar around the glass. Decent level of carbonation helped maintain the collar.

Taste - A good amount of flavor leaning way toward sweet maybe from krausening. If your not a fan of sweeter beer you might this tends to be a little fatiguing on the palate.

Notes - A good mouthfeel and carbonation level. Really a decent beer for the price. Considering the price I don't see why you wouldn't give it a try. (802 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -7.7%

Burger Classic Beer has a thick, quickly-dissipating head, and a clear, golden appearance, with no lacing. The aroma is musty, semi-sweet, grainy, and stinging. Taste is of sweet grain, a touch of hop bitterness, and it does have some bite to it. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Burger Classic Beer finishes crisp, dry, and fairly refreshing. Overall, this is just an average, budget beer.

RJT (398 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -7.7%

Before I drank beer, this is the beer I drank. What? Well my grandpappy had me sip this while seated on his knee when I was barely more than a toddler. He would pick up a case each month for my dad and my dad would return his empty returnable bottles (2 cents each) in the big old cardboard returnable case. This is what I grew up knowing as one of the "Cincinnati greens" and it was a surprise to find out it still existed after all these years. Not a bad beer, it is a cut above the macros and drinkable when nothing special is needed. Decent pretty much across the board, but not a standout in any category. (610 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -7.7%

Not too shabby. A Cincinnati classic. Very reminiscent of most American Standard Lagers, but with a slight sweet taste to it. Pours out with a slight head and very bright yellow/gold hue. Light aroma is mostly of cooked veggies. Taste is crisp, with a slight hop taste. Reminded me alot tastewise, not appearance-wise, to Yuengling Traditional. Decent. (359 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -6.7%

Ive had these on hand since the release of it. At 5.99 a twelve pack id rather support these ohio cans than that of a macro company.

That said it pours a pretty clear yellow gold. Good carbonation brings a fair white head that does fade. Lace fades as well.

aroma is a corn breaded malt with a beer like sour.

Sweet taste is malted bread, sour dough, faint hop. Slight metallic tin effect.

Its ok on the mouth, slight dryness left behind.

An ok drink if your hot and its real cold. Overall a good cooking beer at a fair price. Perfect for brats or beer can chicken. (571 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured a semi transparent golden color with somequickly dissipating white head on it.

Smell is faint grains. Not a great aroma.

Taste is kinda blah. Ok not terrible. Basic lager taste.

Mouthfeel is light. Goes down quick.

Overall an ok beer. Not great but it's drinkable. (279 characters)

A- Pours a clear golden color with a very minimal white foam head. No lacing left behind.

S- Some earthy hops and grain. I also got some fresh cut grass and malt.

T- A touch of hop bitterness initially with a light toasted grain/malt finish. A bit of alcohol and a metallic flavor linger.

M- Light and crisp with ok carbonation.

D- Not a terrible beer but certainly not one that I would pick up regularly. (409 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -0.6%

Bürger Classic reminds me of the way beer used to taste years ago, although not quite as good as Schlitz or Bud. It's got a bit of a darker color, but beyond that it's average in appearance; and it smells like beer - generic 'beer' - but it's also fruity. There's a good bit of apple to it, and that carries over into the flavor. There are some hops, but they're minor. And it's not particularly bitter, just balanced, and leaning towards the sweet side at that. Overall it's a decent price-point beer. It's clean and drinkable, and the fruitiness gives it an interesting character. (583 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -0.6%

Pours like any adjunct, a clear piss yellow.

The smell is that typical adjunct can twang.

The taste was better than say Genesee or Budweiser but it was still pretty bad, mostly just sweet mineral water.

It is cheap, but not as cheap as Blatz or the like, so it pretty much isn't worth it. (291 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -0.6%

This is a great beer that i tried one day after finding it to be a new-comer in my local liquor shop. It has a white foamy head that didn't hang around long, and a crisp flavor similar to PBR, but with less of a corn flavor. Overall, it's a welcome addition to my list of favorite inexpensive beers. (299 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -0.3%

12oz. can, shotgunned and crushed on forehead.

A: The can is red white and blue. A skim of foam forms near the mouth(WTF? No vent?) for a minute then runs away. Looks pretty dark in there but I'd bet a hundo it's barely straw colored.

S: Smells like corn but I just husked about 20 ears. Metal from the can and more of the corn aroma with some added sweetness. It's completely fresh but actually smells a bit stale.

T/M: Doesnt taste as bad as all the old stories
make it out to be. Pretty much middle of the road adjunct lager with a touch more sweetness and maybe a touch of amber malt, but I might be imaging that. Mouthfeel is a bit fuller than most shit beer and the carbonation isn't nearly as abbrassive.

D: Easily crushable after a long hot summer day, cookout, or social event where you don't need to be a beer geek... Which is exactly what this beer is for. I'm glad Bryon brought this beer back and made it drinkable, but let's make somethng original and crafty next time, now that the nostalgia is out of the way :) (1,031 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

The guy at the Drive-Thru here must've thought I was a loon for calling him 3 different times. 'Is the Burger Classic in, is the Burger Classic in?'

See, I promised the folks in my Tuesday vball league I'd bring some fresh Hudy/Schoenling product. Well, it left the brewery on Thursday, I bought in on Sunday, we drank it on Tuesday. That's fresh! Even those who scoffed at drinking a Burger were happily surprised that it was at least drinkable. Of course, I had one the previous evening at home for the purposes of review, which ensues...

Pours a fairly standard yellow color plus a hint of gold. Thin head is quick to bubble away, but maintains a thin covering and collar.

Aroma is of faint malt, just a touch grassy.

Taste is light roasted malt, more depth than a previously sampled Hudy Delight, which nicely served to contrast the flavor profile here and make the flavors stand out better. A hint of sweetness follows, and then just a glimmer of hop bitterness, and then a little more. Nothing real developed, but it's tasty enough. Lingering sweetness and bitterness on the finish. More range of flavors than they are given credit for. Maybe everyone should drink a Lite beer before the Burger?

Mouthfeel - crisp, clean, macro-style finish, with a slight coating of malt left behind.

Drinkability - It's refreshing, thirst-quenching, and certainly deserving of several cans of enjoyment. At 9 bucks a case, I feel I got a good value. (1,458 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Burger beer is a resurrected Cincinnati beer. I remember my dad would crush a sixer of these and watch the Reds play. The beer was served cold and in a pint glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a fizzy yellow coloration. The head was thin and didnt last particularly long.

Smell: Not alot going on nose wise. I pick up sweet grain and not alot of anything else.

Taste: Never expected much from this beer. From the smell I wasnt expecting the taste I got. The beers flavor leads in with a bit of toasty malt. This cuts into a sweet flavor. Then the sweetness is broken up by a grassy hop prescence.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The beers body is light. The carbonation active but mild and lifts this beer to the next level. This is a quintesetial throw back beer. Glad I tried it. (779 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12 ounce can. This is one of the old classic Cincy brands of beer, and it was brought back to the market recently. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear straw gold color with about an inch white head. Head retention and lacing is below average. Not much to the aroma, it's weak and smells like corn/grain. With that being said, there aren't any offensive aromas. Taste is similar to the aroma, but it's stronger and tastes like sweet malt and grain. It is a sweet tasting brew, but it doesn't taste bad at all. Mouthfeel/body is light, but it's not watery. It also has decent carbonation. Drinkability is good, it's smooth and very easy to drink. For the style, it's not a bad beer. And for $5.99 a 12 pack, the price is right too. I think it's a good summer/lawnmower beer. (783 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +5.8%

A- Pours a really clear pale yellow with a thin fizzy white head. Head is gone in a flash and leaves pretty much no lacing.

A- Smell is pretty basic corny, bready, and lemony hops.

T- This one reminds me when I go home and drink with my Dad. It tastes a lot like PBR. Sweet grains, bready, corn and a touch of citrus hops.

M- Light in body and higher in carbonation.

O- Easy to drink for sure, and very cheap. (417 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last
Bürger Classic from Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.