Bürger Classic - Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.

Bürger ClassicBürger Classic

Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Pale Lager |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 08-29-2002)
3.1/5  rDev +1.6%

Bürger Classic reminds me of the way beer used to taste years ago, although not quite as good as Schlitz or Bud. It's got a bit of a darker color, but beyond that it's average in appearance; and it smells like beer - generic 'beer' - but it's also fruity. There's a good bit of apple to it, and that carries over into the flavor. There are some hops, but they're minor. And it's not particularly bitter, just balanced, and leaning towards the sweet side at that. Overall it's a decent price-point beer. It's clean and drinkable, and the fruitiness gives it an interesting character.

2.73/5  rDev -10.5%

CAN you dig it? I pulled off a major trade in the Heinz Field parking lot a couple of weeks ago before watching Pitt lose (by a missed PAT!) to Cincy. I think that I developed a slight head cold during the snowy weather and so my reviews got put on hold until my sinuses cleared. Let the CAN Quest continue!

My pour created two fingers' worth of foamy, bubbling bone-white head with average retention. I could smell the cereal sweetness immediately! Color was a beautiful golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. As I lifted the glass to my nose, it simply reinforced what I had sensed during the pour. C'est la vie! Mouthfeel was medium with a sugary sweetness in the mouth. I was reminded of JuicyFruit gum, somehow. The finish was slightly dry, almost redeeming its intensity on the tongue. Not totally bad, overall, but not worth seeking out unless you decide to follow the quest.

3.53/5  rDev +15.7%

The Burger Classic was a golden yellow beer with thin white head that did not lace. The smell and taste were grain and malt. The mouthfeel was lighter body with good carbonation. Overall this was a very good classic american pale lager and would drink it again.

3.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is sweet, malty. Taste is also heavy on malts, some grains and a bit of sweetness, very easy drinking. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a decent brew, great on a hot day.

3.35/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12 ounce can. This is one of the old classic Cincy brands of beer, and it was brought back to the market recently. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear straw gold color with about an inch white head. Head retention and lacing is below average. Not much to the aroma, it's weak and smells like corn/grain. With that being said, there aren't any offensive aromas. Taste is similar to the aroma, but it's stronger and tastes like sweet malt and grain. It is a sweet tasting brew, but it doesn't taste bad at all. Mouthfeel/body is light, but it's not watery. It also has decent carbonation. Drinkability is good, it's smooth and very easy to drink. For the style, it's not a bad beer. And for $5.99 a 12 pack, the price is right too. I think it's a good summer/lawnmower beer.

3.2/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

The guy at the Drive-Thru here must've thought I was a loon for calling him 3 different times. 'Is the Burger Classic in, is the Burger Classic in?'

See, I promised the folks in my Tuesday vball league I'd bring some fresh Hudy/Schoenling product. Well, it left the brewery on Thursday, I bought in on Sunday, we drank it on Tuesday. That's fresh! Even those who scoffed at drinking a Burger were happily surprised that it was at least drinkable. Of course, I had one the previous evening at home for the purposes of review, which ensues...

Pours a fairly standard yellow color plus a hint of gold. Thin head is quick to bubble away, but maintains a thin covering and collar.

Aroma is of faint malt, just a touch grassy.

Taste is light roasted malt, more depth than a previously sampled Hudy Delight, which nicely served to contrast the flavor profile here and make the flavors stand out better. A hint of sweetness follows, and then just a glimmer of hop bitterness, and then a little more. Nothing real developed, but it's tasty enough. Lingering sweetness and bitterness on the finish. More range of flavors than they are given credit for. Maybe everyone should drink a Lite beer before the Burger?

Mouthfeel - crisp, clean, macro-style finish, with a slight coating of malt left behind.

Drinkability - It's refreshing, thirst-quenching, and certainly deserving of several cans of enjoyment. At 9 bucks a case, I feel I got a good value.

4.18/5  rDev +37%

Can from Ryan011235, who apologized for sending it. Why apologize, man? This shit sounded pretty good (for the style)! And what do you know...

Pours bright golden, more golden than yellow, with a white head that lasts longer than I usually see for beers of this sort. Not a FYB it seems.

The aroma is pretty nice actually. Honey and floral notes accompany the typical sweet pale malt, and there's no unpleasant adjunct smell like that which I get from the macros.

The flavor is pleasant, rather malty for the style, almost like a Munich helles. Pale malt, honey, and slight floral hops. Balanced, with no crappy BMC aftertaste.

Crisp, clean, and refreshing mouthfeel, with just a little more heft than you usually get for this style. Average carbonation level.

Overall, this is probably the best American style crap lager I've ever had. Would be an excellent lawnmower beer if I ever were to mow a law (can't afford grass currently). Really enjoyed it. For all the whiners who said, "Waah waah you never rate a pale lager/adjunct lager/crap beer well," consider this one a big fat "IN YO' FACE!" Highest rating yet for this beer by a longshot.

NOTE: This doesn't get an A+ because I think the style could still get better, and because I don't really recognize this style as its own entity so much as as a less flavorful subclass of pilsner or helles.

2.9/5  rDev -4.9%

Burger Classic Beer has a thick, quickly-dissipating head, and a clear, golden appearance, with no lacing. The aroma is musty, semi-sweet, grainy, and stinging. Taste is of sweet grain, a touch of hop bitterness, and it does have some bite to it. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Burger Classic Beer finishes crisp, dry, and fairly refreshing. Overall, this is just an average, budget beer.

RJT

3.33/5  rDev +9.2%

A- Pours a really clear pale yellow with a thin fizzy white head. Head is gone in a flash and leaves pretty much no lacing.

A- Smell is pretty basic corny, bready, and lemony hops.

T- This one reminds me when I go home and drink with my Dad. It tastes a lot like PBR. Sweet grains, bready, corn and a touch of citrus hops.

M- Light in body and higher in carbonation.

O- Easy to drink for sure, and very cheap.

2.15/5  rDev -29.5%

I just had to try this stuff on my trip to the tri-state. I poured into a pint glass to a puffy white head. It is yellow and crystal clear. It smells sweet and tastes bad. It leaves a film in my mouth. Probably won't be trying this again, but at least I can say I tried it.

Skoal!

3.75/5  rDev +23%

2.95/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured a semi transparent golden color with somequickly dissipating white head on it.

Smell is faint grains. Not a great aroma.

Taste is kinda blah. Ok not terrible. Basic lager taste.

Mouthfeel is light. Goes down quick.

Overall an ok beer. Not great but it's drinkable.

3.1/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours like any adjunct, a clear piss yellow.

The smell is that typical adjunct can twang.

The taste was better than say Genesee or Budweiser but it was still pretty bad, mostly just sweet mineral water.

It is cheap, but not as cheap as Blatz or the like, so it pretty much isn't worth it.

3.25/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Burger beer is a resurrected Cincinnati beer. I remember my dad would crush a sixer of these and watch the Reds play. The beer was served cold and in a pint glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a fizzy yellow coloration. The head was thin and didnt last particularly long.

Smell: Not alot going on nose wise. I pick up sweet grain and not alot of anything else.

Taste: Never expected much from this beer. From the smell I wasnt expecting the taste I got. The beers flavor leads in with a bit of toasty malt. This cuts into a sweet flavor. Then the sweetness is broken up by a grassy hop prescence.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The beers body is light. The carbonation active but mild and lifts this beer to the next level. This is a quintesetial throw back beer. Glad I tried it.

3.35/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This re-activated classic American lager pours a pale straw yellow, thick foamy head. Lacing nonexistent.

Nose says malty adjuncts. Nothing worth noting.

Taste is mild, watery, but somehow balanced. I get some corn, some yeast, and a hint of hops somewhere in there. Not a bad lighter American adjunct lager, and spot-on for price ($12.99/24pack). A cool alternative to the PBR/BMC mainstream.

3.1/5  rDev +1.6%

This is a great beer that i tried one day after finding it to be a new-comer in my local liquor shop. It has a white foamy head that didn't hang around long, and a crisp flavor similar to PBR, but with less of a corn flavor. Overall, it's a welcome addition to my list of favorite inexpensive beers.

3.53/5  rDev +15.7%

Hipsters ain't got shit on me man, you've probably never heard of this beer and you probably wouldn't like it.

I drink it because its cheap, made in Ohio (kinda but not really), has words like 'classic' and 'enjoy' on the label and comes in a red, white and blue can plus it comes from such an authentically German brewery like Hudepohl-Schoenling; what more could you ask for?

Through my 1970's style yellow tinted sunglasses the beer looks too be a pale yellow with a thin, fizzy white skim on top. Lively bubbles rising to the top are seen aplenty.

Spilling some on my thrift store cardigan, I smell the sweet smells of nostalgia, corny malts, lemony hops and irony. Some cereal and and grain waft up from my shaker glass.

Adjuncts or not, who really knows, point is this is a pretty good tasting brewski, man. But I mean, you probably wouldn't like it, its an Ohio thing, ya know? Sweet grains and lemony hops groove together like me and my 8-track tapes. Some cereal grain flavors linger on my handlebar mustache.

This brew gives me a tingly feeling, similar to the feeling I get every time I'm browsing records at Half Priced Books. Its a bright, lively fizzy feeling of carbonation and the democratic party.

Drinkable? Lets just say I can put back a good few of these at Carabar and still ride my fixie back home.

3.65/5  rDev +19.7%

12 oz can into a pint glass.

Pours a clear deep gold with a half finger white head than hangs around longer than on similar beer.

Aroma of sweet grain along with a touch of caramel and citrus hops.

The flavor has quite a bit going on for a beer of this style. Some sweet bready grain up front along with a bit of honey and caramel. Some faint citrus hops are there along with a light, drying bitterness. Finishes very clean.

For a cheap ($6.99/12 pack) beer this is excellent. A great lawnmower beer with plenty of flavor.

2.9/5  rDev -4.9%

Before I drank beer, this is the beer I drank. What? Well my grandpappy had me sip this while seated on his knee when I was barely more than a toddler. He would pick up a case each month for my dad and my dad would return his empty returnable bottles (2 cents each) in the big old cardboard returnable case. This is what I grew up knowing as one of the "Cincinnati greens" and it was a surprise to find out it still existed after all these years. Not a bad beer, it is a cut above the macros and drinkable when nothing special is needed. Decent pretty much across the board, but not a standout in any category.

3.2/5  rDev +4.9%

12oz. can, shotgunned and crushed on forehead.

A: The can is red white and blue. A skim of foam forms near the mouth(WTF? No vent?) for a minute then runs away. Looks pretty dark in there but I'd bet a hundo it's barely straw colored.

S: Smells like corn but I just husked about 20 ears. Metal from the can and more of the corn aroma with some added sweetness. It's completely fresh but actually smells a bit stale.

T/M: Doesnt taste as bad as all the old stories
make it out to be. Pretty much middle of the road adjunct lager with a touch more sweetness and maybe a touch of amber malt, but I might be imaging that. Mouthfeel is a bit fuller than most shit beer and the carbonation isn't nearly as abbrassive.

D: Easily crushable after a long hot summer day, cookout, or social event where you don't need to be a beer geek... Which is exactly what this beer is for. I'm glad Bryon brought this beer back and made it drinkable, but let's make somethng original and crafty next time, now that the nostalgia is out of the way :)

3.85/5  rDev +26.2%

12 oz can courtesy of Ryan011235, poured into a shaker pint. See-thru gold with a short lived white head that's fluffy while it lasts, which isn't long. A skim sticks around for a bit, though. Wet lacing is teased here and there, but drips back in.

Not a bad nose for the style. Some crisp grain and hay, a vague notion of hops, a stray note of apple here and there. Definitely not the gross sweet corny nose of many macros. Tastes pretty good as well. Fairly fluffy and more substantial feeling than it looks, with a surprising burst of hoppiness before the grains kick in. A touch more carbonation might help get rid of the slight residual sweetness, but it's not bad at all.

Overall impression: Not a bad fizzy yellow option here. Certainly a notch above most BMC.

Bürger Classic from Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.