Bürger Classic - Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.

Bürger ClassicBürger Classic

Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Pale Lager |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 08-29-2002)
View: Beers (10) |  Events

leinie13

12-04-2011 04:19:17 | More by leinie13
nrbw23

3.33/5  rDev +9.9%

A- Pours a really clear pale yellow with a thin fizzy white head. Head is gone in a flash and leaves pretty much no lacing.

A- Smell is pretty basic corny, bready, and lemony hops.

T- This one reminds me when I go home and drink with my Dad. It tastes a lot like PBR. Sweet grains, bready, corn and a touch of citrus hops.

M- Light in body and higher in carbonation.

O- Easy to drink for sure, and very cheap.

07-25-2011 08:54:15 | More by nrbw23
secondtooth

Indiana

3.35/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This re-activated classic American lager pours a pale straw yellow, thick foamy head. Lacing nonexistent.

Nose says malty adjuncts. Nothing worth noting.

Taste is mild, watery, but somehow balanced. I get some corn, some yeast, and a hint of hops somewhere in there. Not a bad lighter American adjunct lager, and spot-on for price ($12.99/24pack). A cool alternative to the PBR/BMC mainstream.

07-03-2011 07:02:08 | More by secondtooth
richkrull

Wisconsin

2.95/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured a semi transparent golden color with somequickly dissipating white head on it.

Smell is faint grains. Not a great aroma.

Taste is kinda blah. Ok not terrible. Basic lager taste.

Mouthfeel is light. Goes down quick.

Overall an ok beer. Not great but it's drinkable.

06-17-2011 03:47:09 | More by richkrull
tone77

3.5/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is sweet, malty. Taste is also heavy on malts, some grains and a bit of sweetness, very easy drinking. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a decent brew, great on a hot day.

06-04-2011 15:08:58 | More by tone77
keeganfrank

3.43/5  rDev +13.2%

Golden beer with a big, sudsy head. Aromas of musty, sweet vegetables. Tastes sweet and of adjuncts. A lot smoother than many other adjunct lagers. Goes down easy. Comes in convenient 12-ounce cans, which are only about $0.50 each. You can earn some locavore cred if you're into that sort of thing, except you really can't because it's not even made in Cincy anymore.

05-11-2011 16:26:43 | More by keeganfrank
brewerburgundy

3.98/5  rDev +31.4%

12oz can, pilsener glass. There was a date on the bottom that I forgot to write down. The beer was within it's freshness date.

This beer looks a little chill hazed in a golden, all malt looking yellow. The can has a standard kind of proclamation about using the finest yeast, water, barley malt, and hops. Everything about this beer points toward all malt, possibly making it's classification here incorrect. The head really hangs on and is pretty much white.

The aroma is quite husky, with some artificial caramel sweetness. There's also a bit of metallic, blunt bitterness and it's quite balanced.

Flavors are very faithful to the aroma. Mildly sweet husk, grain with a smudge of floral hops. This is definitely a step above BMC, it must be all malt. Good balance between a soft water bitterness and pale malt sweetness.

Softer, less carbed mouthfeel for an American Pale Lager or American Adjunct Lager. I'm reminded of Fosters Bitter (which isn't a bitter), though this is the better beer. Soft and almost ale-like works here.

I'd never seen this before my dad picked up a 24-pack. A step above BMC or the run of the mill AAL makes this a better choice.

03-27-2011 01:22:33 | More by brewerburgundy
BuckeyeGambler

4.2/5  rDev +38.6%

This is my favorite sit by the pool, drink when I'm thirsty, who gives a shit if i leave it in someones fridge beer. At 5.99 a 12-pack, you could buy a 6 pack of very good beer, this, and still come out cheaper than an 18 pack of your watery macro. You end up with two beers that you're happy to drink.

This is not my favorite beer. It's not even close.

You get some corn flavors, a decent head for this style, a hint a citrus and no metallic flavors. It is nothing remarkable or memorable.

But when I have already gone through a couple of good ales and I need something to wash down this suddenly delicious frozen pizza, I turn to the Burger. It's clean. It tastes better than anything you would see in an overpriced commercial. It's good for this style!

Now who is ready for a game of beer pong . . . .

03-08-2011 00:13:38 | More by BuckeyeGambler
chilidog

2.93/5  rDev -3.3%

Ive had these on hand since the release of it. At 5.99 a twelve pack id rather support these ohio cans than that of a macro company.

That said it pours a pretty clear yellow gold. Good carbonation brings a fair white head that does fade. Lace fades as well.

aroma is a corn breaded malt with a beer like sour.

Sweet taste is malted bread, sour dough, faint hop. Slight metallic tin effect.

Its ok on the mouth, slight dryness left behind.

An ok drink if your hot and its real cold. Overall a good cooking beer at a fair price. Perfect for brats or beer can chicken.

03-01-2011 00:43:17 | More by chilidog
LWG1970

4.22/5  rDev +39.3%

A very Sweet corn smell. Good BEER taste, Poured a Darker yellow. Foamy but it fades quickly.. VERY Easy to drink..

The problem I have ran into is INCONSISTENCY in this beer, got a few SKUNKY Cans that tasted HORRIBLE.. in a 12 pack..

A very GOOD Local Cincinnati Beer (Hudy 14-K is better)

Burger reminds me of the good old days.. Worth a TRY..

Since I last reviewed this beer, BURGER has changed it's Bottler.
Burger WAS brewed in Lacrosse, Wisconsin, by City Brewing co. This is WHY they had problems with Inconsistent cans.

NOW, it is brewed and Bottled in Latrobe, Pennsylvania (same place Rolling Rock is Brewed) PROBLEM SOLVED..

01-20-2011 03:55:23 | More by LWG1970
InebriatedJoker

3.65/5  rDev +20.5%

Poured from 12oz can into beer glass .

Poured a light golden with two finger head lots of bubbles with very little lacing.

Smell was of light hops and corn malt.

Taste is pleasant for the beer type - light malt flavors decent aftertaste .

A old classic beer that is very drinkable, would drink again.

11-06-2010 19:43:39 | More by InebriatedJoker
MbpBugeye

3.53/5  rDev +16.5%

Hipsters ain't got shit on me man, you've probably never heard of this beer and you probably wouldn't like it.

I drink it because its cheap, made in Ohio (kinda but not really), has words like 'classic' and 'enjoy' on the label and comes in a red, white and blue can plus it comes from such an authentically German brewery like Hudepohl-Schoenling; what more could you ask for?

Through my 1970's style yellow tinted sunglasses the beer looks too be a pale yellow with a thin, fizzy white skim on top. Lively bubbles rising to the top are seen aplenty.

Spilling some on my thrift store cardigan, I smell the sweet smells of nostalgia, corny malts, lemony hops and irony. Some cereal and and grain waft up from my shaker glass.

Adjuncts or not, who really knows, point is this is a pretty good tasting brewski, man. But I mean, you probably wouldn't like it, its an Ohio thing, ya know? Sweet grains and lemony hops groove together like me and my 8-track tapes. Some cereal grain flavors linger on my handlebar mustache.

This brew gives me a tingly feeling, similar to the feeling I get every time I'm browsing records at Half Priced Books. Its a bright, lively fizzy feeling of carbonation and the democratic party.

Drinkable? Lets just say I can put back a good few of these at Carabar and still ride my fixie back home.

10-31-2010 03:37:52 | More by MbpBugeye
nickd717

4.18/5  rDev +38%

Can from Ryan011235, who apologized for sending it. Why apologize, man? This shit sounded pretty good (for the style)! And what do you know...

Pours bright golden, more golden than yellow, with a white head that lasts longer than I usually see for beers of this sort. Not a FYB it seems.

The aroma is pretty nice actually. Honey and floral notes accompany the typical sweet pale malt, and there's no unpleasant adjunct smell like that which I get from the macros.

The flavor is pleasant, rather malty for the style, almost like a Munich helles. Pale malt, honey, and slight floral hops. Balanced, with no crappy BMC aftertaste.

Crisp, clean, and refreshing mouthfeel, with just a little more heft than you usually get for this style. Average carbonation level.

Overall, this is probably the best American style crap lager I've ever had. Would be an excellent lawnmower beer if I ever were to mow a law (can't afford grass currently). Really enjoyed it. For all the whiners who said, "Waah waah you never rate a pale lager/adjunct lager/crap beer well," consider this one a big fat "IN YO' FACE!" Highest rating yet for this beer by a longshot.

NOTE: This doesn't get an A+ because I think the style could still get better, and because I don't really recognize this style as its own entity so much as as a less flavorful subclass of pilsner or helles.

10-28-2010 03:47:10 | More by nickd717
beveritt

3.35/5  rDev +10.6%

Presentation: Poured from a 12 oz can into a standard pint glass. Label is red, white, and blue with a distinct German feel. No freshness dating. I picked this up in a 12 pack as the cheapest beer I could find in order to use it to bait slugs in the garden. However, it is apparently too cheap for slugs; as they have not responded to it nearly as well as the previous cheap beers I was using.

Appearance: Pours with 1 finger if white head. This settles very quickly to nothing. The beer itself is a perfectly clear pale yellow with moderate activity.

Smell: Sugary sweetness with a slight underlying vegetal bitterness.

Taste: Significant carbonation bite upfront with the feeling of force carbing. Taste is an initial sugary sweetness with very little backbone . Fades quickly, no lingering. The tiniest hint of crisp hops in the finish.

Mouthfeel: High carbonation level, with big bubbles. Body is okay.

Drinkability: Well, it is what it is. I certainly wasn't expecting much an experience here, and it delivered.

10-10-2010 02:40:53 | More by beveritt
PDXHops

South Carolina

3.85/5  rDev +27.1%

12 oz can courtesy of Ryan011235, poured into a shaker pint. See-thru gold with a short lived white head that's fluffy while it lasts, which isn't long. A skim sticks around for a bit, though. Wet lacing is teased here and there, but drips back in.

Not a bad nose for the style. Some crisp grain and hay, a vague notion of hops, a stray note of apple here and there. Definitely not the gross sweet corny nose of many macros. Tastes pretty good as well. Fairly fluffy and more substantial feeling than it looks, with a surprising burst of hoppiness before the grains kick in. A touch more carbonation might help get rid of the slight residual sweetness, but it's not bad at all.

Overall impression: Not a bad fizzy yellow option here. Certainly a notch above most BMC.

09-16-2010 21:08:20 | More by PDXHops
crossovert

3.1/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours like any adjunct, a clear piss yellow.

The smell is that typical adjunct can twang.

The taste was better than say Genesee or Budweiser but it was still pretty bad, mostly just sweet mineral water.

It is cheap, but not as cheap as Blatz or the like, so it pretty much isn't worth it.

05-30-2010 18:34:54 | More by crossovert
BeerAndBourbon

2.6/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bunch of beers to cellar last night; I picked this up to save a few bucks. It's a drinkable beer for the price point. It's very sweet with a very mild hoppiness that doesn't really balance. It's got a decent level of carbonation, but it somehow seemed flat at times (probably just because it sits heavy on the tongue for a lighter beer). Not one to seek out, but if you find it on the shelf you might as well give it a try (it's too cheap to pass up).

05-08-2010 14:52:38 | More by BeerAndBourbon
biggred1

Indiana

1.4/5  rDev -53.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Pale urine colored with a mere skim of shock white foam. Untoasted grain and grits with a good blast of cooked corn. Wow, I think this beer is actually worse than I remembered from my late teen years. Green apple skin and wet cardboard with a buttery popcorn finish. Burger classic is just bad.

05-06-2010 01:16:52 | More by biggred1
giblet

2.17/5  rDev -28.4%

poured a yellow with decent carbonation and head. the head settled quickly. smells sweet of grass and straw. taste is ok. kinda sweet. this would be another good bbq beer on a hot day. good thirst quencher in the summertime.

ok but not great.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

02-08-2010 19:39:38 | More by giblet
projectflam86

A- Pours a clear golden color with a very minimal white foam head. No lacing left behind.

S- Some earthy hops and grain. I also got some fresh cut grass and malt.

T- A touch of hop bitterness initially with a light toasted grain/malt finish. A bit of alcohol and a metallic flavor linger.

M- Light and crisp with ok carbonation.

D- Not a terrible beer but certainly not one that I would pick up regularly.

02-06-2010 04:43:28 | More by projectflam86
woodychandler

2.73/5  rDev -9.9%

CAN you dig it? I pulled off a major trade in the Heinz Field parking lot a couple of weeks ago before watching Pitt lose (by a missed PAT!) to Cincy. I think that I developed a slight head cold during the snowy weather and so my reviews got put on hold until my sinuses cleared. Let the CAN Quest continue!

My pour created two fingers' worth of foamy, bubbling bone-white head with average retention. I could smell the cereal sweetness immediately! Color was a beautiful golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. As I lifted the glass to my nose, it simply reinforced what I had sensed during the pour. C'est la vie! Mouthfeel was medium with a sugary sweetness in the mouth. I was reminded of JuicyFruit gum, somehow. The finish was slightly dry, almost redeeming its intensity on the tongue. Not totally bad, overall, but not worth seeking out unless you decide to follow the quest.

12-21-2009 22:44:07 | More by woodychandler
jwhawkins81

2.78/5  rDev -8.3%

This beer should be a staple in my fridge solely for the Burger related jokes.

"Boy this is a good burger."
"You want a burger?"
"Last night I had four or five burgers."

Aroma - Sweet with just the hint of hops. Also and I'm not kidding I also smelled touches of fruit like apple and pineapple.

Appearance - Clear golden and poured with a big fluffy white head that quickly dissipated into a collar around the glass. Decent level of carbonation helped maintain the collar.

Taste - A good amount of flavor leaning way toward sweet maybe from krausening. If your not a fan of sweeter beer you might this tends to be a little fatiguing on the palate.

Notes - A good mouthfeel and carbonation level. Really a decent beer for the price. Considering the price I don't see why you wouldn't give it a try.

12-16-2009 00:21:51 | More by jwhawkins81
alkemy

2.05/5  rDev -32.3%

buschbeer was "kind" enough to bring me one of these from a trip to the Cinci area. Foamy head over a clear straw yellow hue. I would have to agree that the adjunct sweet scent is slightly stronger in this than other beers I've had. I even opened up a Bud Light for comparative purposes. Taste is pretty awful. This will be a one and done beer for me.

09-22-2009 15:35:47 | More by alkemy
buschbeer

2.15/5  rDev -29%

I just had to try this stuff on my trip to the tri-state. I poured into a pint glass to a puffy white head. It is yellow and crystal clear. It smells sweet and tastes bad. It leaves a film in my mouth. Probably won't be trying this again, but at least I can say I tried it.

Skoal!

09-13-2009 18:34:13 | More by buschbeer
Bürger Classic from Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.