Hudy Delight - Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.

Hudy DelightHudy Delight

poor

Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Light Lager |  ABV ?

Beer added by: StevieW on 09-16-2002

to view more.
Ratings: 65 | Reviews: 37

Starts out smooth finishes like a man

Delicious beer for the souls

4.5/5  rDev +57.9%

Never could find a smooth drinking light beer. Most were too crisp, or flavorless. When I drink regular beer, I become full and uncomfortable; especially if I'm drinking more than one. Being alumni of Ohio University in Athens, I very seldom drink one beer. Recently, I purchased 12 pack of cans of Hudy Delight. Was unavailable for many years, now has been put back in production. I brought the beer home and got the cans ice cold in cooler full of ice cubes. I was surprised at how smooth and drinkable it was. The key is make cans ice cold. Tried some out of fridge and tasted much different. It is less expensive than big brands and has become my new favorite beer. May be difficult to find outside Metro Cincinnati area. My local beer store is now ordering for me. Most of the time I leave a little in bottom of can when drinking beer, but I've noticed when I drink Hudy Delight my cans are completely empty. Remember get them ice cold in cooler and enjoy a Hudepohl, I think you will be surprised.

This poured with the clearest of pale yellow complexion but the mass of bubbles that clung to the glass blocked the visibility. The head was a huge mass of tiny bursting bubbles that grew out of control.

The nose is a sour malt, kind of metallic, with a light corn and breadiness.

The flavor is sour, metallic, corny, piney hop maybe.

The feel is prickly and brash with so much carbonation.

I simply couldn't even entertain myself with this and had to eventually pour it out.

2.8/5  rDev -1.8%

For a light beer, this is the way to go. Light in color, mild aroma, and mild taste; high carbonation. A really good beer for someone that may not like the complexity of craft styles, it is very easy to knock a few back without getting "too far gone." A staple beer in our house for an after dinner or summer drink- you can't beat this light beer for the price.

2.24/5  rDev -21.4%

Pours a brilliant golden straw color with a foamy one inch ivory head that lingers.

Metal, grain, and floral hops dominate the aroma, with corn adding sweetness.

Grain and corn form the backbone of the flavor profile, with a metallic/lime tang rounding out the slightly bitter, bready finish.

Body is fairly light, with somewhat high carbonation and an astringent finish.

Overall, a brew I won't be frequently drinking.

2.88/5  rDev +1.1%

This has long been my Sunday football beer. Partly because it's better than Bud Light, and half the price. And partly because I'm a Bengals fan, and our "Who-Dey" chant is derived from Hudy.

Nothing special here, just a standard fare light lager. Pours out piss yellow and foamy, with about a two finger head. The taste is dominated by corn and rice, but it is slightly hoppy and slightly sweet. The aroma is similar to the taste, but the hops are a little harder to detect.

Not great, but a decent beer in my opinion, but it is sort of an acquired taste. But I'll knock back a twelve pack per week of Hudy Delight September-February. If I'm not drinking craft, I'm drinking this.

2.93/5  rDev +2.8%

Hudy Delight has a typical thick, white head and a clear, bubbly straw appearance, with a tad bit of lacing. The aroma is sweet, light, and grainy. Taste is of mild, roasted malt, sweet corn, water, green apples, and just a tickle of hops bitterness. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Hudy Delight finishes crisp, clean, fairly refreshing, dry, dull, and cheap feeling. Overall, this is tolerable.

RJT

2.97/5  rDev +4.2%

This beer pours like champagne: champagne-colored with a bone white head that's too loose to stick around for very long but with bubbly activity that struggles to keep it alive and does allow a swirling thin foam to resurface from time to time. Said foam lacks the substance to leave any lacing behind after initial spotting.
The aroma offers mostly white grape and green apple skin with a kiss of herbal hop. Better than BMC light, anyway.
The flavor offers much of the same with a bit more grains in the back. Despite the vinous and white fruit flesh flavors, this beer avoids a certain sourness that mars some of these light lagers.
The feel is dry, certainly light, and crisp. Yes, it's thin, but no more than the typical light beer and less watery than light macro beers.
Is this beer a delight? Not exactly. But it may sit directly in the median range of light lagers.

3.14/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured out of a nice retro looking can into a pint glass.

Appearance is a clear light gold with a fizzy one finger head that quickly fades into nothing. A bit darker than many light beers.

Smell is of light grain along with a grape/lemony aroma. Not extremely appetizing but not terrible.

Taste is fairly sweet with corn and light grain being predominant. There is no hop presence to speak of. Mouthfeel is pretty thin but not as bad as some other light beers.

Overall this is one of the better light beers I have had. While it is a little too sweet for me to drink a ton of, on a hot day it would definitely be a go-to beer.

3.05/5  rDev +7%

Sampled from a delightfully retro-styled can at Joie De Vine.

Transparent pale gold, bubbly with white frothy foam around the edges. Smells like white grape juice and wet grains. Thankfully no off notes in the aroma.

Crisp feel, white grape and wet grains, some manila folder oxidation creeping around the edges, but otherwise pretty nice and clean. 100% barley according to the bartender, no adjuncts. Surprisingly clean and relatively easy to drink with a light bitterness in the background. Dry finish, not overly sweet, and not astringent or harsh. Could easily drink a couple on a hot day, slightly better than the usual BMC mediocrity.

2.54/5  rDev -10.9%

Well, I am a little conflicted on this one. I like it a lot more than the mainstream canned beer, however, I hate those and to compare it to that is just wrong. So, I will let it stand on its own. It is a regular light beer with average to low flavor, no notes whatsoever and not much flavor. Very good for a hot day but not for me at all. Great history of German brewing in Ohio, I imagine not what my grandfather talked about drinking!

2.3/5  rDev -19.3%

Very pale yellow, not as much carbonation as expected. white head disappears in no time. Smell is corn gristy, maybe slightly fruity or clove. Light taste, seems more corn up front, finishes slightly metallic. Light mouthfeel but the metallic aftertaste makes it seem heavier and less drinkable for style. Dumped it.

2.25/5  rDev -21.1%

Plenty of visible carbonation in this very light straw colored lager. Little bubbly head that didn't last.

Some grape notes in the nose with a faint hint of straw.

The carbonation is ever-present. There is little mouthfeel. Some light almost fake sugary taste. Little to speak of in general.

If you are looking for a local take on the light lager than this is something to grab. There just isn't much here and what is here just tastes artificial.

3.05/5  rDev +7%

12oz can poured into a Perfect Pint.

Appearance
The head will rise up to a decent size, but it is very short lived. It leaves one half hearted ring of lace that gets quickly washed away. Lots of rising bubbles form a broken collar and oblong patch. It has good color for the style and nice clarity. Its a bright, pale goldenrod.

Aroma
Intensely sweet smelling. It seems a lot of these beers can take on a grape soda aroma, and Hudy Delight is one of those. The aroma also has lots of clean grains hiding behind the grape drank sweetness.

Taste
Very clean taste comprised mostly light grains. Its sweet, but not as sweet as the aroma would have you think. Grassy hops do well in providing balance. The taste is good, but it seems to just completely drop off suddenly at about mid palate.

Mouthfeel
Watery and pretty dry. This is fine with me, but the carbonation is insane. Sharp and stinging. Still though, this stuff is really gulpable.

Overall
A lot like 14-K, but watery. Its still a pretty good beer, way better than any BMC.

3.02/5  rDev +6%

I've tried it in cans...now reviewing Hudy Delight in bottle form. Pale golden lager with a wispy head and plenty of carbonation. Sugary, estery aroma with some hints of dry grain and fruit. Tart grain-and-vegetable flavor. Not nearly as sweet as the aroma suggests. Flavor is nothing extraordinary, but it's not offensive. Has a thin, crisp body that makes this beer go down easy.

3.68/5  rDev +29.1%

A- Produces a two-fingered white fizzy head atop an extremely pale golden beer. A few dozen streams of effervescence float upward. No lacing, decent head retention for the style.

S- Smells grainy, of grass perhaps. This beers weakness.

T- First thought: non-offensive like most light lagers. Very smooth, easy drinking. More graininess but nothing off-putting.

M- Thin but slightly creamy. Good carbonation.

D/O- RATED TO STYLE. Impressed to say the least. No nasty flavors in a light lager style beer? Sign me up...you know, when there aren't any other options available. Thanks to the drunk girl at Dark Lord Day who traded me this for one of my Deschutes Black Butte porters...and then gave me back the porter. Who knows.

1.91/5  rDev -33%

Gave the appearance a 3 simply because I had it straight out of the can so figured it would only be fair to pick the middle value.

This is pretty awful. Tastes like alcoholized soda pop basically. Very sweet, heavy corn and rice overtonses. Glad I didn't pour this into a glass actually.

Yucky yucky poo poo, I didn't order a mountain dew mixed with vodka. Ok, that's hyperbole, but damn, that's about right.

1.88/5  rDev -34%

Received this 24 ounce can as a gag, along with a selection of Jungle Jim's finest.
Appearance-fizzy, pale yellow, the head disappears as quickly as it bubbled up
Aroma-hard to call it bitter hops, more metallic, with little to no malt. Reminiscent of college frat parties (for better or worse)
Taste-sweetish almost corn syrup flavor, little malt
Mouthfeel-thin, somewhat fizzy
Drinkability-not much alcohol to keep one from having more, but otherwise not much flavor to make one want another.

not much to differentiate this from all the other light lagers out there

2.31/5  rDev -18.9%

Poured from a 24 oz. can into a pint glass.

Appearance: Typical adjunct lager look - light golden yellow, white foamy head, brisk carbonation.

Smell: Cooked corn and steamed vegetables.

Taste: Again, nothing incredibly surprising. Starts off an overly processed kind of sweet, with mechanical corn sugar driving the flavor. Industrial bitterness steps in next, finishing with a dry sweet residue on the palette.

Mouthfeel: Light and crisp, but the grainy metallic feel really drops the enjoyment factor.

Drinkability: Loved getting this as a gag extra, but nothing I would really pursue. If this is a Cincinnati favorite, I am in no hurry to see what else they drink over there.

2.83/5  rDev -0.7%

Bought this for $.79 at Jungle Jims for a 24 oz can. Title says "enjoy a Cincinnati favorite."

Aside from the urge to crush the can on my head at the end of consuming this, I'm quite interested by this brew.

A: Terrible. Pours like piss in a glass. Really bad - has white foam - definitely not worthy of calling it head.

S: Wow - like passing out in a fraternity basement, waking up in the morning and smelling the dank basement around you once you finally come to. One could even argue that in terms of adjuncts this could even be considered a sour because the smell is one of funk for sure but the horseblanket is replaced with almost a 2nd day vomit smell - yeah, it's that bad.

T: This is where it gets weird - the smell is of vomit but the taste isn't horrible. If you're forced to drink this, I highly recommend not pouring it into a glass.

M: Pretty decent - could be better but nothing bad.

D: Could drink this all night with no problem as long as I don't smell it. Again, don't smell this beer just drink it.

2.62/5  rDev -8.1%

Aroma - Beery but not bad actually. A little aromatic hops, but just a little.

Appearance - Clear pale yellow with a white head. Not a ton of carbonation which kind of hurt it when compared to the better light lagers (yeah I know it sounds like an oxymoron).

Taste - My first reaction was Natty Light, or any general cheap keg beer. Not offensive just kind of what you would expect from a 79 cent 24 oz can of cheap light beer.

2.58/5  rDev -9.5%

My first "light beer" review... And at 0.79 per 24oz, I just could not resist.

A: Typical Yellow-ish color. White and quite fizzy head, which almost immediately disappears. Crystal Clear, and looks like there is some decent carbonation.

S: Slightly sweet, maybe some corn. Really not picking up very much at all.

T: Watery. Slightly tart, and tastes of adjuncts, mostly a bit of rice or possibly corn. No distinctive aftertaste. It's not that the flavor is bad, it's that there isn't any flavor there. Style-wise though, I feel like it is at least around average.

M: Clean, crisp, cold and carbonated. 'nuff said.

D: You can certainly drink a bunch of this, since it is basically carbonated water that had a barley, rice and corn tea bag dipped gingerly in it. You could drink it all night long, by why would you want to?

2.37/5  rDev -16.8%

CAN you dig it? I pulled off a major trade in the Heinz Field parking lot a couple of weeks ago before watching Pitt lose (by a missed PAT!) to Cincy. I think that I developed a slight head cold during the snowy weather and so my reviews got put on hold until my sinuses cleared. Let the CAN Quest continue!

I just reviewed its "leaded" brother, so now it is time to try the "unleaded" version.

My pour resulted in a finger of bubbling, bone-white head that fizzled itself out of existence. Oh well. The color was a pale lemon-yellow with NE-quality clarity. The nose was really light in its sweetness, hardly discernible at all. Mouthfeel was medium, but its taste was light and almost watery. Finish was slightly dry but overall, it was less than satisfying. I would reach for more of the Hudy 14-K, instead.

3.3/5  rDev +15.8%

I reviewed this beer some time ago but I wanted to give a little insight on what I think is a change. This time I had the beer in a 24oz can right out of the can. Appearance can't be spoken for. Smell is basically not there. Taste is very light and mouthfeel is weak. However, the beer this time (out of the can) was very clean and crisp without any of the grainy, offensive stale aftertaste that I found when drinking from a bottle (I took the picture). Make no mistake, this is a LIGHT beer. But this time it was very crisp, clean and refreshing - without that stale undertone I coudn't shake last time. Drinkability is way up there too. Excellent for hot weather when you don't want to get worn down having a few. I wonder if the quality control of the product been cleaned up? I only see this beer in cans anymore also. One other note - there is no mention of adhering to the Beer Purity Law on the packaging anymore. Given the category - which is a low calorie light lager - far fewer than the BMC light beers, I would have to move this up to a C+.

to view more.
Hudy Delight from Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.