Hudy Delight - Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.

Hudy DelightHudy Delight

poor

Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Light Lager |  ABV ?

Beer added by: StevieW on 09-16-2002

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.5/5  rDev +66.7%

Never could find a smooth drinking light beer. Most were too crisp, or flavorless. When I drink regular beer, I become full and uncomfortable; especially if I'm drinking more than one. Being alumni of Ohio University in Athens, I very seldom drink one beer. Recently, I purchased 12 pack of cans of Hudy Delight. Was unavailable for many years, now has been put back in production. I brought the beer home and got the cans ice cold in cooler full of ice cubes. I was surprised at how smooth and drinkable it was. The key is make cans ice cold. Tried some out of fridge and tasted much different. It is less expensive than big brands and has become my new favorite beer. May be difficult to find outside Metro Cincinnati area. My local beer store is now ordering for me. Most of the time I leave a little in bottom of can when drinking beer, but I've noticed when I drink Hudy Delight my cans are completely empty. Remember get them ice cold in cooler and enjoy a Hudepohl, I think you will be surprised. (1,012 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +36.3%

A- Produces a two-fingered white fizzy head atop an extremely pale golden beer. A few dozen streams of effervescence float upward. No lacing, decent head retention for the style.

S- Smells grainy, of grass perhaps. This beers weakness.

T- First thought: non-offensive like most light lagers. Very smooth, easy drinking. More graininess but nothing off-putting.

M- Thin but slightly creamy. Good carbonation.

D/O- RATED TO STYLE. Impressed to say the least. No nasty flavors in a light lager style beer? Sign me up...you know, when there aren't any other options available. Thanks to the drunk girl at Dark Lord Day who traded me this for one of my Deschutes Black Butte porters...and then gave me back the porter. Who knows. (728 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +27.8%

I've heard the hype on this beer and came upon it with a historic respect. I've had some see this as a cheep collage brew. With that said, its not a bad standby for around just over $4.

It pours a pale yellow gold. Fair carbonation provides a small but stable white head that reduces to a thin film. Little lace to be had.

The aroma was grain like malt.

The taste was fairly crisp grain, slight corn with a citric lemon finish. A light beer that has a real flavor, even if its just alittle.

Drinkability; yes. If your hot, drink cold. The mouth is left with a slight dry citric tart. Hudy! (601 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +22.2%

I reviewed this beer some time ago but I wanted to give a little insight on what I think is a change. This time I had the beer in a 24oz can right out of the can. Appearance can't be spoken for. Smell is basically not there. Taste is very light and mouthfeel is weak. However, the beer this time (out of the can) was very clean and crisp without any of the grainy, offensive stale aftertaste that I found when drinking from a bottle (I took the picture). Make no mistake, this is a LIGHT beer. But this time it was very crisp, clean and refreshing - without that stale undertone I coudn't shake last time. Drinkability is way up there too. Excellent for hot weather when you don't want to get worn down having a few. I wonder if the quality control of the product been cleaned up? I only see this beer in cans anymore also. One other note - there is no mention of adhering to the Beer Purity Law on the packaging anymore. Given the category - which is a low calorie light lager - far fewer than the BMC light beers, I would have to move this up to a C+. (1,053 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +22.2%

The beer of my youth and hometown. The first beer I drank regulary, in High School, playing golf and while attending the University of Cincinnati. Recently revisited on a trip home. Pale golden yellow color, bubbly and full of carbonation. Faint, thin white head, left quickly, but didn't pose a problem. Sweet corn-water, with yeast taste. Slightly sour middle. Finish is surprisingly crisp and refreshing. After about 3 years not having one, I was pleasantly surprised. Super-easy to drink. I have had alot of these, and they always leave me smiling, until the next morning. (576 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +20.4%

My first Hudy in a few years. New owner, new formula, lots of hype too.

Appearance - pale straw on the pour. A brief head evaporates quickly but manages some spotted lace on the glass.

Aroma - just the vaguest hint of grain to this, but it does maintain a trace of aroma. Worthy for the style.

Taste - simple but solid light grain flavor. Basic light beer, but it's fresh and thirst-quenching, as a decent light beer should be.

Mouthfeel - thin, crisp, no surprises.

Drinkability - one of a select few light beers I'll by now and then, and by far the best value of the non-adjunct choices. The hype is not necessarily because of the beer but just due to seeing an old friend once again. (701 characters)

3.14/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured out of a nice retro looking can into a pint glass.

Appearance is a clear light gold with a fizzy one finger head that quickly fades into nothing. A bit darker than many light beers.

Smell is of light grain along with a grape/lemony aroma. Not extremely appetizing but not terrible.

Taste is fairly sweet with corn and light grain being predominant. There is no hop presence to speak of. Mouthfeel is pretty thin but not as bad as some other light beers.

Overall this is one of the better light beers I have had. While it is a little too sweet for me to drink a ton of, on a hot day it would definitely be a go-to beer. (629 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +14.8%

This beer is very clear pale straw color. Thin head that dies quick.

Smell has a slightly perceivable graininess. No hops.

Taste is a little sweet, which is kinda nice for a light beer. Not much in the malt department. No hops detected.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery;about par for the course with this style.

Drinkability is decent, overall a good thirst quencher. Not sure I'd want to drink as a session beer, as it's a little bland. (446 characters)

3.05/5  rDev +13%

Sampled from a delightfully retro-styled can at Joie De Vine.

Transparent pale gold, bubbly with white frothy foam around the edges. Smells like white grape juice and wet grains. Thankfully no off notes in the aroma.

Crisp feel, white grape and wet grains, some manila folder oxidation creeping around the edges, but otherwise pretty nice and clean. 100% barley according to the bartender, no adjuncts. Surprisingly clean and relatively easy to drink with a light bitterness in the background. Dry finish, not overly sweet, and not astringent or harsh. Could easily drink a couple on a hot day, slightly better than the usual BMC mediocrity. (644 characters)

3.05/5  rDev +13%

12oz can poured into a Perfect Pint.

Appearance
The head will rise up to a decent size, but it is very short lived. It leaves one half hearted ring of lace that gets quickly washed away. Lots of rising bubbles form a broken collar and oblong patch. It has good color for the style and nice clarity. Its a bright, pale goldenrod.

Aroma
Intensely sweet smelling. It seems a lot of these beers can take on a grape soda aroma, and Hudy Delight is one of those. The aroma also has lots of clean grains hiding behind the grape drank sweetness.

Taste
Very clean taste comprised mostly light grains. Its sweet, but not as sweet as the aroma would have you think. Grassy hops do well in providing balance. The taste is good, but it seems to just completely drop off suddenly at about mid palate.

Mouthfeel
Watery and pretty dry. This is fine with me, but the carbonation is insane. Sharp and stinging. Still though, this stuff is really gulpable.

Overall
A lot like 14-K, but watery. Its still a pretty good beer, way better than any BMC. (1,039 characters)

3.02/5  rDev +11.9%

I've tried it in cans...now reviewing Hudy Delight in bottle form. Pale golden lager with a wispy head and plenty of carbonation. Sugary, estery aroma with some hints of dry grain and fruit. Tart grain-and-vegetable flavor. Not nearly as sweet as the aroma suggests. Flavor is nothing extraordinary, but it's not offensive. Has a thin, crisp body that makes this beer go down easy. (381 characters)

12 ounce bottle served in a Sam Adams BL glass. Picked up a 6 pack of this on a recent trip to the Cincinnati area, I used to drink this at Reds games years ago and it looks like Hudy Delight has made a comeback. The beer pours a clear straw gold color with an inch white head. Head retention and lacing are both OK, nothing special. It smells like sweet malt and a bit of grain with no hops at all. It tastes like sweet malt and grain, actually not too bad of a taste at all for a light beer. Mouthfeel/body is thin, but not watery. Drinkability is OK. For the style, it's an average brew. It's not offensive at all, and not a bad deal for $3.79 a sixer. There are certainly worse beers out there. (698 characters)

Hudy wow this beers reintroduction to Cincinnati sold out? I dont really understand the hype. I bought the beer for under $4.00 a sixer.

Appearance: This beer is exactly what you would expect. The beer is a pale fizzy straw yellow coloration. The head was off white with no retention.

Smell: This beer is all sweet maltyness. The beer doesnt have any offensive off smells to it. The beer has no hop character to the smell.

Taste: The beer is a malty sweet beer with a flash of lemons. The beer has no hop character to speak about. The beer has no off flavors and is strictly inoffensive.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: The beer is very light to the point of watery. The beer is straight forward and one dimensional. The beer has no hoppyness at all. This is a beer that should be served very cold. The beer has no off smells or flavors. The beer is nicely carbonated. This beer is a ok choice for just sucking back some suds with no geeking. This would be a nice lawnmower beer. The beer isnt a bad beer; however, this will most likely be my last purcase of Hudy. (1,070 characters)

2.97/5  rDev +10%

This beer pours like champagne: champagne-colored with a bone white head that's too loose to stick around for very long but with bubbly activity that struggles to keep it alive and does allow a swirling thin foam to resurface from time to time. Said foam lacks the substance to leave any lacing behind after initial spotting.
The aroma offers mostly white grape and green apple skin with a kiss of herbal hop. Better than BMC light, anyway.
The flavor offers much of the same with a bit more grains in the back. Despite the vinous and white fruit flesh flavors, this beer avoids a certain sourness that mars some of these light lagers.
The feel is dry, certainly light, and crisp. Yes, it's thin, but no more than the typical light beer and less watery than light macro beers.
Is this beer a delight? Not exactly. But it may sit directly in the median range of light lagers. (874 characters)

2.93/5  rDev +8.5%

Hudy Delight has a typical thick, white head and a clear, bubbly straw appearance, with a tad bit of lacing. The aroma is sweet, light, and grainy. Taste is of mild, roasted malt, sweet corn, water, green apples, and just a tickle of hops bitterness. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Hudy Delight finishes crisp, clean, fairly refreshing, dry, dull, and cheap feeling. Overall, this is tolerable.

RJT (404 characters)

2.88/5  rDev +6.7%

This has long been my Sunday football beer. Partly because it's better than Bud Light, and half the price. And partly because I'm a Bengals fan, and our "Who-Dey" chant is derived from Hudy.

Nothing special here, just a standard fare light lager. Pours out piss yellow and foamy, with about a two finger head. The taste is dominated by corn and rice, but it is slightly hoppy and slightly sweet. The aroma is similar to the taste, but the hops are a little harder to detect.

Not great, but a decent beer in my opinion, but it is sort of an acquired taste. But I'll knock back a twelve pack per week of Hudy Delight September-February. If I'm not drinking craft, I'm drinking this. (684 characters)

2.83/5  rDev +4.8%

Bought this for $.79 at Jungle Jims for a 24 oz can. Title says "enjoy a Cincinnati favorite."

Aside from the urge to crush the can on my head at the end of consuming this, I'm quite interested by this brew.

A: Terrible. Pours like piss in a glass. Really bad - has white foam - definitely not worthy of calling it head.

S: Wow - like passing out in a fraternity basement, waking up in the morning and smelling the dank basement around you once you finally come to. One could even argue that in terms of adjuncts this could even be considered a sour because the smell is one of funk for sure but the horseblanket is replaced with almost a 2nd day vomit smell - yeah, it's that bad.

T: This is where it gets weird - the smell is of vomit but the taste isn't horrible. If you're forced to drink this, I highly recommend not pouring it into a glass.

M: Pretty decent - could be better but nothing bad.

D: Could drink this all night with no problem as long as I don't smell it. Again, don't smell this beer just drink it. (1,025 characters)

2.8/5  rDev +3.7%

For a light beer, this is the way to go. Light in color, mild aroma, and mild taste; high carbonation. A really good beer for someone that may not like the complexity of craft styles, it is very easy to knock a few back without getting "too far gone." A staple beer in our house for an after dinner or summer drink- you can't beat this light beer for the price. (365 characters)

2.75/5  rDev +1.9%

This is everything you would expect from a retro-style, American macro lager. Clear/yellow color with not much taste and a fairly thin mouthfeel. I'm all for supporting the local beer industry (although according to the label this is currently contract-brewed in Lacrosse WI) but it would be a stretch for me to actually make it through a six pack of this. Let's hope they can fine tune things... (396 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -3%

Aroma - Beery but not bad actually. A little aromatic hops, but just a little.

Appearance - Clear pale yellow with a white head. Not a ton of carbonation which kind of hurt it when compared to the better light lagers (yeah I know it sounds like an oxymoron).

Taste - My first reaction was Natty Light, or any general cheap keg beer. Not offensive just kind of what you would expect from a 79 cent 24 oz can of cheap light beer. (429 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -4.4%

My first "light beer" review... And at 0.79 per 24oz, I just could not resist.

A: Typical Yellow-ish color. White and quite fizzy head, which almost immediately disappears. Crystal Clear, and looks like there is some decent carbonation.

S: Slightly sweet, maybe some corn. Really not picking up very much at all.

T: Watery. Slightly tart, and tastes of adjuncts, mostly a bit of rice or possibly corn. No distinctive aftertaste. It's not that the flavor is bad, it's that there isn't any flavor there. Style-wise though, I feel like it is at least around average.

M: Clean, crisp, cold and carbonated. 'nuff said.

D: You can certainly drink a bunch of this, since it is basically carbonated water that had a barley, rice and corn tea bag dipped gingerly in it. You could drink it all night long, by why would you want to? (826 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -5.9%

Well, I am a little conflicted on this one. I like it a lot more than the mainstream canned beer, however, I hate those and to compare it to that is just wrong. So, I will let it stand on its own. It is a regular light beer with average to low flavor, no notes whatsoever and not much flavor. Very good for a hot day but not for me at all. Great history of German brewing in Ohio, I imagine not what my grandfather talked about drinking! (437 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -12.2%

CAN you dig it? I pulled off a major trade in the Heinz Field parking lot a couple of weeks ago before watching Pitt lose (by a missed PAT!) to Cincy. I think that I developed a slight head cold during the snowy weather and so my reviews got put on hold until my sinuses cleared. Let the CAN Quest continue!

I just reviewed its "leaded" brother, so now it is time to try the "unleaded" version.

My pour resulted in a finger of bubbling, bone-white head that fizzled itself out of existence. Oh well. The color was a pale lemon-yellow with NE-quality clarity. The nose was really light in its sweetness, hardly discernible at all. Mouthfeel was medium, but its taste was light and almost watery. Finish was slightly dry but overall, it was less than satisfying. I would reach for more of the Hudy 14-K, instead. (812 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured from a 24 oz. can into a pint glass.

Appearance: Typical adjunct lager look - light golden yellow, white foamy head, brisk carbonation.

Smell: Cooked corn and steamed vegetables.

Taste: Again, nothing incredibly surprising. Starts off an overly processed kind of sweet, with mechanical corn sugar driving the flavor. Industrial bitterness steps in next, finishing with a dry sweet residue on the palette.

Mouthfeel: Light and crisp, but the grainy metallic feel really drops the enjoyment factor.

Drinkability: Loved getting this as a gag extra, but nothing I would really pursue. If this is a Cincinnati favorite, I am in no hurry to see what else they drink over there. (683 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -14.8%

Very pale yellow, not as much carbonation as expected. white head disappears in no time. Smell is corn gristy, maybe slightly fruity or clove. Light taste, seems more corn up front, finishes slightly metallic. Light mouthfeel but the metallic aftertaste makes it seem heavier and less drinkable for style. Dumped it. (316 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Hudy Delight from Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.