Join our email list →

Arrogant Bastard Ale - Arrogant Bastard Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Arrogant Bastard Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

American Strong Ale | 7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

At Arrogant Bastard Brewing Co., we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny—a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale...even outright attempts to copy it...but only one can ever embody the true nature of Liquid Arrogance!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,946 | Hads: 10,183
4.35/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I was surprised to read on the distinctively Stone Brewing bottle "Arrogant Bastard Brewing." Whatever the organizational structure, I've always enjoyed Stone for their aggressive and bold approach to brewing. I'm not always in the mood for a beer that takes itself so seriously, but this bomber of stiff brew hits the spot after a long week.

Iconic screen printed bottles are a nice touch. This beer pours an opaque dark red with lots of browns in my snifter. It takes some extra agitation to coax an off white head that fades to a thin bubbly slick. Not the prettiest beer, but it has a unique look.

Smells are hoppy and boozy. I'd never guess this is "only" 7.2 ABV. They say smell is the sense most linked to our memory, and this reminds me of some of the barley wines I've had. Flavored also remind me of a hoppy American style barley wine. Lots of malts that toe the line between caramel and dark roast with mostly citric, lemon-rind hops.

Feel is slick and full, with a long bitter finish. Not the kind of brew you forget what it tastes like after the last swig--the flavor sticks around a long time. For this reason it could easily overwhelm a food pairing.

Overall, I'm really enjoying the aggression because I drank it when I knew it's what I wanted. Very well crafted and a break from the norm.

3.82/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

L; deep ruby red, with a thin white lacing head
S: not much on the nose
T: bitter, malty, chocolate
F: carbonation throughout
O: not a style I'm a big fan of, but stone doesn't disappoint

4.26/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

22 ounce bottle to wine glass
Bottled 11/02/15 Enjoy by 01/31/2015
Today is 01/19/2016
Appearance: Deep red, small off white head, with lacing
Smell: Not a lot of aroma
Taste: More on the bitterness, nice follow through
Mouthfeel: Creamy and fizzy
Overall: Excellent beer, will definitely try again and

4.78/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Probably my favorite beer. Not an IPA, not a brown ale, not really a strong ale. Just a blend of all of them. Perfect blend of hops and malt, dark but not stout, strong but not too strong.

If I had to drink one beer only for the rest of my life, this would be it.

Seems like one of those "either love it or you hate it" sort of beers. I'm okay with that - you don't have to love it, but I do.

3.93/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours dark brown kind of cloudy with a cream colored head that lasts about two minutes some lacing.

Smell dark fruit some hoppy notes little bit of oak.

Taste it has a bitter hoppiness to it some of the malt comes out as well as some pine.

Feel medium body little tang from the bitterness that sticks with you.

Overall a decent beer I wanted to try not sure if I will have it again.

On tap at Hanafin's New London. On a cold night after a long day at work, this hit the spot. Nice head from the pour. Enough carbonation to keep my interest. A dark, rich full flavored beer. Hops not overly assertive, leaving room to savor the flavors.

3.93/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Arrogant Bastard pours a rich plumb color, with a thin slightly off-white head, which leaves behind a fancy ring of lace. It smells like dark fruit, with a little bit of nuttiness. It sure has a strong, bitter taste. A nutty mild flavor opens up before it finishes a bit fruity. The feel is rather pleasant. It feels strong and robust, and yet isn't harsh to drink. Overall, meh. I know this beer has a large following, but I'm not a fan. Sure, I'm glad I tried it, but the harsh bitter/hoppy taste really drives me away.

Served in a 12oz snifter.

4.07/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a tulip glass. Color is a dark amber with a two finger head on the pour. Leaves a pretty good lace on the glass. The taste is carmel and nutty with a sort of burnt flavor. It has a somewhat bitter finish, but I find all the Stone beers have that. I like the feel of this one a lot, it has a nice foamy sensation. I find myself picking up one of these every few months.

3.77/5  rDev -9.6%

Serving type: on tap at Stackz Co in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Pours a hazy dark brownish amber color. Smells of slight hoppiness, generic sweetness, a small alcohol scent, with a slight nuttiness. Taste is superior to the smell, initial malty sweetness fades into a slight charred/smoky flavor which leads into a semi-dry bitter/herbal taste with a lingering nuttiness. It's quite different but tasty! Feel is slightly watery though it isn't off putting. The charred/nutty flavor coats the mouth and lingers. Overall this is an interesting beer that is strong yet tasty and easy to drink.

2.7/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I just don't understand the hype of this beer. I heard a couple people talk about this beer like it's the greatest beer ever before i tried it. this is the 2nd time i've spent $5 on a bomber (about a year apart) and i've felt ripped off both times. the taste is way too bitter, there are a lot better pale ales out there than this. It gets better as I drink more but it's like going from bad to decent at best.

4.52/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

L- Deep Crimson, Clear
S-Some spice, dark fruits
T-Man-o-man blast from the past. Hops, figs, Special B; this is great!
F-Good!
O- Yeehaw...this is the post-modern Red Ale that all others should look to for comparison....Man, just like 1999; but better now. Back then it was a harsh monster purchased at Chevron to just get messed up. Now, its a part of an AB gift pack and something to be treasured.

Last Words: This is the real deal. A all day.

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

I can't believe I have not yet reviewed this timeless classic, so here goes:
Amazing and dynamic pour! Coming out of the bottle it looks like a medium to light copper, however, once in the glass it looks like a lovely combination of brown, mahogany and ruby red. A big foam head tops things off as does a frothy and sticky lace that retains throughout.
Very pleasing on the nose. The dark fruits hit me first and remind me of strawberry jam. I also smell citrus hops. Also, throughout there is a bready and biscuity malt aroma.
The taste is truly dynamic and complex. It is initially sweet on the tongue like dark fruit and caramel malts. However, a big hops flavor and bittering soon envelops the mouth, making it almost IPA like. In the hops there is some citric grapefruit like zest along with pine. The finish alternates between dry and sweet fruit. Overall, the bitterness is moderate to high but with excellent malt balance. The alcohol is barely felt.
The mouthfeel is truly amazing. I would describe it as medium bodied and dangerously drinkable. Unbelievably smooth and almost creamy. The carbonation is just about perfect; soft but with some tingling on the tongue.
This is one of the best beers out there. It is absolutely delicious and one of my all time favorites.

4.52/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 10/22/15, enjoy by date of 1/20/16, opened and poured on 12/21/15.

Lovely dark amber hue. Slightly creamy head.
Smells of hops hops hops. I was surprised because while I was pouring it, I thought for sure it was going to be a malt bomb.

Tasting it wow, I think this is the first beer I can recall where you get hit with both the malt and the hops right up front and at the same time. The malt fades but the hops linger on the tongue. This beer has remarkable balance.

Great lacing too, every layer remains after each sip.
Mouth feel isnt too thin, isnt too thick.

I think I found one of my Go-To-Beers.

1.9/5  rDev -54.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.25

Smell is harsh, spicy, pungent, and the taste follows through much the same, with a coppery acidity and supremely harsh bitterness on the finish.

It's like drinking an old Great Lakes beer from the bottle, just a bad idea.

I really don't understand the mass appeal of this. There are just so many off-putting elements. Yuck

4.14/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 22 oz bottle into my trusty glass mug. Beautiful dark amber/brown colour with a nice tan head and some lacing. Smells of well balanced hops and caramel malt as well as what seems like a dozen other aromas. Hops hang out in the top of the mouth but I'm not complaining. Great mouthfeel. Not overly piney or citrusy like alot of West coast ales. Very enjoyable. Prost!

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

22oz bottle split two ways into a pint glass. Beautiful nut brown color. Very low smell, good or bad - doesn't have the "alcohol" odor of some strong ales. Not as much head as I guessed reading some of the other reviews - but this doesn't affect the mouthfeel & carbonation which is just right. Great taste - touch of malt, touch of stickiness at the beginning, great hops on the back end without being overpowering.
This is a very drinkable beer, a solid choice any time you're in the mood for this style.

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a clear brown with garnet highlights producing 2 fingers of frothy, somewhat lived with lasting island caps of foam, tan head that leaves a moderate wash of lacing. Aroma is dark malt & dark toasty bread, fruitcake, caramel, floral & resinous pine hops. Taste is heavy dark pumpernickel, fruitcake, fig, prune, molasses, toffee, pine, some alcohol, starts bittersweet, with increasing bitterness, finishing dry & bitter with a lasting bitter, dry aftertaste. Mouthfeel is moderate-heavy bodied, medium carbonation, silky, creamy, nicely chewy, a little prickly from mid-sip through dry finish with a moderate astringency in the aftertaste. Absolutely beautiful! Enough said.

4.48/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A dark beer with a creamy, almost chunky head. Some lacing.

Smelled and tasted complex. Almost overwhelmingly complex. So many flavors and notes going on that I struggled to identify much of anything in particular. Sometimes that can be a bad thing...but not this time. Not with this beer. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Medium bodied, and in some ways, perhaps the only thing close to a shortcoming. I think I would have preferred it to be slightly thicker. Maybe not. Perhaps I'm just being an arrogant bastard.

Overall, a great beer. The 22 oz. bomber did me for the evening. I couldn't imagine drinking another beer after I finished the bomber. I didn't want to spoil it!

4.17/5  rDev 0%

Sturnley hopped, yet starts smooth and malty. Dark amber color with a tailing head. The hops start to take the place of this warm and distinctive taste of beer when you finish your first sip. Has an east coast holiday feel with a west coast kick. After taste hangs out too. I get great citrus in spots as well. Some may say overly complex but read the label. Like most strong beers it may take a second glance to get the gis but damn, pretty tasty.

4.07/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The Strong Ale to end all strong ales. Better than the oak- and bourbon-aged versions. Great look, sweet-caramel nose, full body, sticky-sweet around the edges. Hoppy, dry finish. Supremely drinkably and flavorful. An American classic.

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

22oz bomber into my Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a clear deep maroon, almost mahogany. 1" of khaki head recedes at a moderate pace. Retention & lacing are both above-average.

S: Cedar, brown sugar, some resinous hops, hints of macerated fruit. Pitted fruit as well, date being the most apparent. Vanilla is subtle but evident.

T: Comes on with a decidedly bitter hop note that leans toward pine & resin. This develops into a very evolved malt character on the mid palate, featuring bready notes along with dense, heavy spice - think clove & nutmeg. The bitterness increases throughout, but is tempered by a resurgence of slightly more citrus-leaning hop tones along with brown sugar & molasses. The finish is a remarkably-balanced mix of biscuit & bitter hop. Altogether, very deep & well-executed.

M: Moderate carb married to a mid-weight malty body. Finishes surprisingly light & a bit slick.

O: Just fantastic.

4.12/5  rDev -1.2%

A - Pours a deep toasted amber red color with a thick, frothy creamy looking head that stays on and doesn't dissipate.

S - Toasted caramel malt aroma, a little grainy, some citrus, and a touch of oak woodiness (very slight).

T - Nice toasted caramel malt throughout morphs into a very hop forward, biting and long lingering piney/citrus finish that wipes all the sweet malt right off the tongue.

M - Full medium body, slippery, somewhat sticky on the lips, dry finish, somewhat creamy in the body.

O - Been a long time since I last had this one, still enjoyable.

3.67/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

She pours a dark brown and leaves the same colored body with a soft lumpy creamy looking half finger head. The head lasted about a good three minutes. The lacing was mild in that there wasn’t any rings or any foamy leftovers. The smell has mainly the hops in front through a nice without better words "arrogant" bitter sort of way. Some malts appear in the background as she warms. The taste has a mild bitterness backed up by some citrus and hops. On the palate, she’s about a medium sort of body and comes across somewhat surprisingly smooth. Still, there’s a decent sort of sessionable aspect to it. Overall, this is a decent beer, nothing to scream about. I guess I just thought it would’ve been better but hey I’d still have it again.

The first beer I ever rate 10 out of 10 all the way around. This is actually one a friend of mine recommended to me when I first started to lose my craft beer virginity, and this is as good as it gets. Drinking the full 1 pt bottle as I type this, almost done, with such a strong ale, high abv at 7.2% it tastes miraculous. Its sweet, perfectly balanced bitter, a sort of tinge of grapefruit, awesomely delicious. Just drink this beer, drink it till' the bottle goes dry.

4.51/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

22oz bomber (from the Bastard Box) poured into nonic pint.
Look - Deep, rich reddish brown. Poured vigourously. Head that wouldn't go away. Lacing all down the glass.
Smell - Some breadiness, molasses, hops. Caramel sugars.
Taste - Wow! Malt to hops ... neither overpowers. Sweet fades to bitter.
Feel - Rich and creamy. Coats the tongue to let the hop finish linger.
Overall - I finally get the fuss. This is a huge beer and it does not disappoint. Puts the "strong" in strong ale. Gives you everything you want in a beer.

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Arrogant Bastard Brewing Co.