Kona Moon Porter - Six Rivers Brewery

Kona Moon PorterKona Moon Porter

Six Rivers Brewery visit their website

American Porter |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: rastaman on 03-29-2006)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by Snow81:
3.88/5  rDev +20.1%

Appearance: Dark brown body

Head: Big light brown head

Smell: Black coffee bean

Taste: Coffee right up front with a dark maltyness and a little bitter hop in the back

Weight: Light body with a low to medium carbonation

Finish: Burnt roosted malts with coffee

2.65/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle

Thanks for sharing, DarthKostrizer!

Dark brown with auburn edges and a thin, light brown head. Spots of lacing down the glass, though the beer looks a bit thin per the style.

Roasted malts and burnt/stale coffee combine for a relatively simple aroma.

The flavor is dominated by coffee, though not of the rich, decadent, or roasted (or fresh) variety--this is more of a bad diner's offering of the stuff. There's a mild roast character and a low bitterness, but this one isn't particularly tasty or drinkable.

Thin to medium bodied, though perhaps a touch metallic.

While I'm glad to have had the opportunity to try this, I'm happy to say I won't be seeking this one out again.

1.78/5  rDev -44.9%

Tap@Six Rivers, May 04'. Moonstone Porter, with Kona coffee added. Taste is really odd, coffee grind is obvious, funny green, weedy sort of flavours pops up now and then, pretty strange. Not one of the better coffee beers i've had, quite a strange one.

3.63/5  rDev +12.4%

Pours typical of the style; nice frothy mocha head and lacing. Smells very roasty with a nice sweet espresso character; also a slight lactic sweetness. Taste is dominated by roasted notes and bitter espresso. Mouthfeel is medium. Very easy drinking, minimal aftertaste.

If the taste followed the nose closer (more sweet espresso rathan than sharp espresso bitterness) than I would rate this one much higher. As it is, it's a pretty good beer.

2.4/5  rDev -25.7%

Thanks DarthKostrizer for ending our bottleshare on a bad note with this drainpour.

Black with mahogany edges and a tan bubbly head decent retention. Mild lacing if any.

Nose is muted Bitter chocolate and bitter, stale coffee.

Flavor is the same as nose except, unfortunately it's in your mouth. Bitter and kinda flat flavor. Stale coffee.

Very high spritzy carbonation. Bad for style.

Overall an all around bad beer. This needs Alot of work.

3.95/5  rDev +22.3%

Thanks to Market of Choice for stocking this beer.

A: A very dark brown color with a nice batch of lacing around the entire glass.

S: Coffee is very pungent in the aroma. Almost like coffee with cream type smell.

T: A nice malt flavor, can't really sense the type of hops used, but coffee is the main flavor that I sense.

M: Smooth, easy drinking, not too heavy, but not watery like some other Porters I've had recently.

O: A very enjoyable beer that I wouldn't mind having again. I really enjoy coffee flavored beers, especially Coffee Porters. I would recommend this beer to coffee lovers, as well as beer lovers.

3.38/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I pour this out of my 22oz bomber, and realize that no head is developing. I pour aggressively, but a fizzy head disappears almost instantly. So, no head and therefore no lace. However, this is a firmly coffee-bean brown that doesn't let much light through. It certainly looks like a coffee porter.

It smells much of coffee than it does of porter, but I am fondly reminded of one of my favorite beers -- Moe's Bender (A limited Surly release). Bold and earthy coffee beans mix with hints of vanilla, and bitter dark chocolate. It's like a French Café just fused with a Belgian Chocolatier house.

This beer barely tastes more like a beer than it does a coffee drink. Carrying barely any carbonation, it feels like a coffee drink. Kona Moon Porter sure is a schizophrenic beer. The taste carries all of the notes of the smell: rich and dark coffee grounds, vanilla, and bitter chocolate. It's hard to determine whether hops lend a bit of bitterness, or if the bitter coffee is confusing me.
I'll say it has a bit of a hop bitterness to it, though the beer seems to have a strange lack of malt. Kona Moon is fairly thin, and I can't distinctly pick out a malty taste.

So -- is it delicious? Yes. Is it a good coffee porter? Jury is still out on that one. Certainly worth a try, but I'd appreciate a little more porter to serve as a base, and a little less java.

2.95/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Look: Black and totally opaque with 1/4 inch head and ok retention

Smell: Very subtle notes of coffee and very sweet chocolate

Taste: This beer taste like cold stale coffee

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with low carbonation

Overall: Why did I waste my money

3.25/5  rDev +0.6%

3.6/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark brown colored beer with a lighter brown colored head.

Smell is all coffee. Sweet with an over powering coffee aroma with a slight sour scent to it. Slight amount of sour scent. Still only so many ways to say it smells like coffee.

Starts out mildly sweet with a strong coffee flavor. Slightly bitter with some chocolate taste to it. Still not real subtle or complex, this tastes like an iced coffee.

Mouthfeel is good.

It is tasty and tastes like coffee, that is about all there is to say about this beer.

3.05/5  rDev -5.6%

A-Coffee brown with 1 inch of light khaki head that reduces quickly. Leaves very light, soapy lace.

S-Light, acidic coffee aroma, caramel malts.

T/M-Way too thin for the style. The coffee flavor is there, but it doesn't have the porter body and malt character to back it up. The finish reveals some light bittering hops, which bring out the coffee a bit, but it's too little too late. Light to medium bodied with low carbonation.

D-Forgettable.

3.28/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to sdhomebrewer for sending this one.

Pours deep brown, nearly black into a pint glass. A finger of light tan head leaves a tiny bit of lacing down the glass.

I smell nice roasty malt with a hint of coffee, as well as a slight sourness that seems out of place.

The coffee is a more evident in the flavor, but it isn't backed up by enough rich malt to balance it out.

Medium to full-bodied, with light carbonation, the mouthfeel is unremarkable.

A decent beer, but the flavor and aroma just don't come together that well.

2.38/5  rDev -26.3%

On tap at the Coddingtown Whole Foods Tap Room in Santa Rosa.

A: Black. Very dark with little head that left a bit of lacing.

S: Coffee is front and center. Very strong. I actually can't really smell anything other than that roasted dark coffee smell.

T: Not good. I like coffee stouts and porters, but this is not for me. There is no balance, I only taste the burnt coffee flavor. I was hoping for a dark malty caramel backbone or something, but nothing.

M: Thin for a porter. Almost watery. Good carbonation.

O: This was my first time trying a beer from this brewery and I was unimpressed. I would be willing to give them another opportunity but not this one.

3.75/5  rDev +16.1%

2.4/5  rDev -25.7%

The problem with this beer exemplifies the problem with the establishment, only one flavor is present. I might as well have been drinking a Kona Coffee because the beer was not existent. I've had good coffee beers and chocolate beers where you can taste the flavoring, but you still get a good stout or porter going on alongside it. This beer was just sharp and harsh with an unpleasant earthiness to it that did not leave me wanting more.

To be fair, I tried it in a sampler and normally I wouldn't want to judge from a sampler, but the sample was huge. It was probably half a bottle. If I had a full bottle of it, I would have only drunk half of it anyway, so I feel ok saying how I feel.

2.88/5  rDev -10.8%

Served on tap in a shaker pint.

A: Beer is an extremely dark ruby-brown color that was served with a thin light brown head that disappeared after about a quarter of my beer was drank. No lacing was left as I drank.
S: As soon as I was served this beer I could pick up light notes of coffee and sugary sweetness, but overall there isn't much to the scent.
T: For the most part this tastes like watery cheap coffee. Very one dimensional. There are some sweet notes of caramel and toffee, but it's hard to shake the light yet dominant powdered coffee flavor. Aftertaste is a bit greasy.
M: Medium body with a fair amount of chewiness. Mouth is rather oily feeling but there is no trace of bitterness or acidity.
D: Put this in a blender with some ice and creamer and you could make a mean iced-coffee. It's not horrible but it's just very plain. It goes down easy enough though, much like cold, weak, watery coffee.

2.58/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to jh1982 for the chance to try this one. Poured from a bomber into a tulip shaped pint glass. The brew appears dark brown in color with more than a finger of tan froth sitting atop. Around the edges, you can see lighter brown clarity. When held to the light, the main portion of the body is murky with some redness about it. As the cap slowly fades, it leaves some finger-like strings of lace sticking to the glass.

The smell of this brew has quite a bit of tangy elements. It somewhat suggests the awkward citrus that is evident in some forms of coffee but as it mixes with a mineral component it is well, interesting. A light swirl releases some sulfur notes as well as some roasty coffee.

The taste is as tangy as you might imagine based off the aroma. Musty grain mixes with stale coffee flavoring that gets a twist of citrus hops. Very minimal roast here but the bitterness towards the back is more of a roasty bitterness than hoppy bitterness. Mild chocolate grain and minerals are the last thought. The aftertaste has a light amount of earthy character mixed with some lactic character that is almost tart.

This is a medium to light bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. It has a very watery feel about it that makes me think that this brew was blended with brewed coffee and not aged over the beans or cold steeped. I am usually a big fan of coffee porters and stouts, this was just missed for me. Perhaps this one is just over the hill, this is at least the 3rd different coffee brew I have had that was tangy and stale tasting instead of fresh and roasty.

2.75/5  rDev -14.9%

While I feel that this beer doesn't belong on anyone's want list I do feel that it deserves a better rating than it has. I didn't get a chance to ask anyone about there brews because we were here at a very busy time of the evening. My thought is that maybe they have changed the recipe a bit.
Anyhow, it pours a dark brown/almost black. Instantly smells of coffee but if the brew warms a little it gives more malt aromas.
Taste is kinda considering other coffee porters I have had. There isn't enough malty biscuty choclate flavor to offset the kona.
Somehow it has a decent mouthfeel that makes it a drinkable beer. Overall I would some it up as average to below average.
Had on tap @ Six Rivers 5/25/08

4.47/5  rDev +38.4%

It came across by the pour as just another coffee porter but the instant it hit my glass I was punched in the snot locker by its coffee aroma. Every taste was even better than the first. If you are in to coffee porters you will LOVE this one. Trust me, Im a professional.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »