1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Chili Pepper Ale - Six Rivers Brewery

Chili Pepper AleChili Pepper Ale

Six Rivers Brewery visit their website

Chile Beer |  6.00% ABV

"Chile Pepper Ale - Alcohol content 6.0%
HOT! Spicy ale made with assorted chilies blended with our wheat ale."

(Beer added by: rkuhnel on 09-28-2007)

elec, Dec 24, 2011
1.13/5  rDev -63.7%

Thanks to dougofthefuture for providing this "kill shot" as part of Blind BIF 5. Served in a Cantillon tulip.

Pours a bright, hazy dark straw color. Very thin head that nearly-immediately dissipates. Thin white collar. Kill shot for sure. The nose is a mess of bell peppers and jalapenos. Amyliz4 says it smells like tater tots. Who can argue? It's bad. Damnit, this better be a chili beer. Loads of spicy jalapeno and green pepper skin. Thin body and moderate carbonation. Really disgusting. Awful. Horrible. Disgusting. Unbearable. Nearly everyone consuming this almost vomited. F.

Thorpe429, May 14, 2011
1.45/5  rDev -53.4%

Part of the blind BIF, this was one of the kill shots and it nearly killed two of us.

Beer poured into a tulip, it is yellow and hazy with a diffuse white head of small bubbles, no lacing, low carbonation.

Aroma smells like a vegetable garden, seriously, strong chili aroma coming off of this thing, I am worried / scared now.

The beginning isn't horrible but your relief only lasts for one second. It feels like someone stuck their hand down your throat and pulled on your tonsils with a chili pepper glove. The finish is so dry, leaving you with this mouth of residue and horribleness that left me coughing, seriuosly. Never again, oh cruel cruel world why does this exist?

drabmuh, May 16, 2011
1.48/5  rDev -52.4%

Why have I been forsaken? Palate annihilation. Rancid salsa. Sweet potato. Pepper and more pepper. Garbage disposal. Gagging. Wretching. Decay.

I like spicy things. I like peppers. I like beer. This is not a graceful creation combining the "good" of any of these things. If you seek the novelty of this, strain some rancid salsa and splash some MGD64 in for a "beer" presence. Blargh.

yourefragile, May 14, 2011
1.88/5  rDev -39.5%

Pours a medium honey orange with no head. Light and clear but looks like orange water.

Nose is very light with almost no character at all. There is a hint of esters and some very light orange fruit. Hint of toasted butterscotch.

Mouthfeel is thin and give the initial impression of a sour - until the flavors hit you.

Wow; pretty much undrinkable for me. Flavors are an initial hit of citric fruity orange that quickly fades to pure pepper heat - no character, no appeal, just hot! Much too hot to enjoy as a drink and the heat wipes out any other character.

Finish is all just hot black pepper that fills your mouth and throat.

Not my style or preference. Will kill any other beer and most foods. Don't even try to taste other styles after this one; it is a "real" palate wrecker. If you just want a hot spicy drink, for some reason, this is for you. But, this one is a one dimensional novelty that has been handled with much to much of a heavy spicy pepper hand. Just my opinion. (The heat and burn in my mouth and throat has not diminished in over ten minutes!)

GRG1313, May 09, 2012

Booman, Nov 15, 2011
2.15/5  rDev -30.9%

Found this bottle at the bevmo near Belmont shores. I was first captured by the word CHILI Pepper. Being I love Rogue's chipotle ale and I have seen only a have full of chili beers that this one is worth a shot. So the beer is cold lets get a drinkin'

A- pours orange blond, very haze looks like its a hef or white Belgium yeast.

S- Woo Jalapenos! Kind of reminds me of hot nacho cheese there is a bit of floral hops in the background but really this smells like jalapenos.

T-Wooo the heat! Jalapenos with a light malt profile very thin in malts. Then all the jalapenos and chilis come out with all there heat, as I swallow. The amount of heat is unpleasant I like the jalapenos taste but the the amount of chili needs to be taken down in less they add a significant amount of malt and hops to take it down. The only real and memorable taste is the heat.

M- HEAT and it is giving me a heart burn.

O- Disappointed, this is like drinking jalapeno juice, and there is only one flavor. I think there needs to be a significant amount fine tuning to add and make it more palatable. I mean in less you love the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Dlish, Aug 23, 2011
2.2/5  rDev -29.3%

Gra1164, Sep 10, 2014

MynamesRickJames, May 25, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -27.7%

A- Pours an ever so slightly hazed pale golden. Still more clear than all out hazy. Head is initially very thick but it's gone within half a minute.
S- Smell is spicy peppers. It's one dimensional but it's pleasing on the nose.
T- It is palate wrecking peppers. There is not much of a beer character. Beginning to end spicyness. The finish is particularly burning.
M- Light body and almost fizzy carbonation. It gives the impression of jalepeno seltzer water.
O- A chile beer should have elements of chile and beer to it. This only has elements of chiles. I think if there was some balance to the beer it's a style that could work well. As is, it's hard to drink.

jsprain1, Aug 28, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -27.7%

A: Cloudy orange haze minal head

S: WOW.. my nose is on fire! I love spicy stuff and definatly red pepper overwhelming.

T: and the taste follows the scent. CHILI PEPPER! WOW spicy hot and not tasting much else!

M: Medium to light body and low carbonation

O: WOW... HOT SAUCE IN A BEER! I love hot stuff and I love beer but I DO NOT love this. Not my type of beer. Beer is usually refreshing and something I love to drink after I eat spicy food... no relief here.

OleJohnnieAle, Dec 29, 2011
2.48/5  rDev -20.3%

I have been searching for a good chili pepper beer for awhile now. I hadn't seen this one before so I was excited to try it

Served into a tulip glass.

A: Pours really clean and clear-ish, not very inviting actually. Hardly no head at all.

S: Overwhelming smell of bell peppers! Didn't even smell like chili peppers...very strange.

T: Overwhelming taste of hot peppers...and that's it. From the beginning and past the end of the sip I taste hot peppers. The taste stays on your tongue and lips even after you've done drinking. I just wish there was more taste to the beer along with the pepper taste.

M: Very watery in my honest opinion.

Overall I had high hopes for this beer and was let down. I actually didn't even get through a quarter of the bomber I bought. If this pepper taste could maybe be infused with a stout or porter style that had more depth in the beer I could really see it working out better. Well, my search goes on!

JoRado, Feb 14, 2012

mrcraft, Jun 22, 2014

atrocity, Apr 29, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -19.6%

Yellow with a nice pepper smell. Taste is very jalapeno-chili with little beer flavor. Heat does not linger very long. It is hot, not as hot as Stone Crime or punishment though. overall an OK hot beer.

Blakeorm, Aug 29, 2014

GraduatedCashew, Feb 03, 2014

BeerNoobNC, May 21, 2014
2.53/5  rDev -18.6%

I'm not sure you cold tell this was beer, if you took a sip with eyes closed. After a couple of sips, my mouth is so on fire that it just gets worse. A beer that needs a beer chaser. The one redeeming feature is the peppery aroma. The peppers themselves seem like they are just hot. Slight fruity flavor in the midst of the burning sensation. The only use I can see for this is a tiny glass served like salsa with an otherwise bland meal. Utterly undrinkable in the normal sense of the word.

Brewery claims it won silver at 2004 GABF, possibly in the juvenile beer joke catagory. Give your buddy a gulp of this stuff right after you spring the Whoopee Cushion on him. I have to compare this to Ghost Face Killah, for its total commitment to bottled silliness.

mactrail, Feb 28, 2012
2.7/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A-pours a hazy straw yellow with a thin white head that disapates.

S- roasted jalapeños, bread, wheat, and chipotle chili.

T- wheat, the spice is only really present gong down, jalapeño pepper flavors, and bread.

M- watery with little carbonation and a dry finish. Spiciness lingers at the back of the throat.

O- I didn't like this beer. It had a muddy wheat flavor followed by a bile-like burning spiciness that coated the back of the throat. Overall I won't be partaking in this beer again.

Giovacchini, Apr 27, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -11.6%

Beerswag, Sep 09, 2013
2.83/5  rDev -9%

Second time having this beer. First Chili beer I've ever had so have no real comparison.

Appearance: pours a hazy gold with light to medium head.

Smell: the aroma of the chilies is overwhelming. it smell almost makes my noise burn. Smells like what I'd perceive it to smell like.

Taste: WOW! The aroma does not disappoint in the taste. Chilies, that's all I can say.

Mouthfeel: my pallet is burnt, but it does feel like chilies have invaded my taste buds. very thin consistency, but the chili spice is too overwhelming

Overall: If you are looking for a Spicy, Hot Chili beer that burns your mouth than this is it! Very fun beer to use as a novelty, but I could not enjoy more than a few sips. I think this beer would be a lot better if it was blended down with more of it's base wheat ale.

CruZnBrewZ, Jan 03, 2012
2.88/5  rDev -7.4%

Doesn't look like much, hazy orange gold color with barely a little white head.

Smells strongly of chili pepper. Fruity chilli with some of the sour scent you get from jalapenos. Some smoke from the roasting. Beyond that nothing else.

Starts out slightly sweet with a big pepper flavor. Medium level of heat. Pretty quickly this becomes nothing but pepper.

Mouthfeel is light.

Overall this isn't much, it is just hot. Not something I would buy again, there are hotter and more flavorful Chilie beers out there. This is closer to the bottom of the pack than the middle.

Zorro, Oct 11, 2011