Microbrew Invitational

Six Rivers Brewery
California, United States | website

Style: Chile Beer

"Chile Pepper Ale - Alcohol content 6.0%
HOT! Spicy ale made with assorted chilies blended with our wheat ale."

Added by rkuhnel on 09-28-2007

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 32 | Ratings: 66
1.52/5  rDev -52.2%

Part of the blind BIF, this was one of the kill shots and it nearly killed two of us.

Beer poured into a tulip, it is yellow and hazy with a diffuse white head of small bubbles, no lacing, low carbonation.

Aroma smells like a vegetable garden, seriously, strong chili aroma coming off of this thing, I am worried / scared now.

The beginning isn't horrible but your relief only lasts for one second. It feels like someone stuck their hand down your throat and pulled on your tonsils with a chili pepper glove. The finish is so dry, leaving you with this mouth of residue and horribleness that left me coughing, seriuosly. Never again, oh cruel cruel world why does this exist?

1.15/5  rDev -63.8%

Thanks to dougofthefuture for providing this "kill shot" as part of Blind BIF 5. Served in a Cantillon tulip.

Pours a bright, hazy dark straw color. Very thin head that nearly-immediately dissipates. Thin white collar. Kill shot for sure. The nose is a mess of bell peppers and jalapenos. Amyliz4 says it smells like tater tots. Who can argue? It's bad. Damnit, this better be a chili beer. Loads of spicy jalapeno and green pepper skin. Thin body and moderate carbonation. Really disgusting. Awful. Horrible. Disgusting. Unbearable. Nearly everyone consuming this almost vomited. F.

1.53/5  rDev -51.9%

Why have I been forsaken? Palate annihilation. Rancid salsa. Sweet potato. Pepper and more pepper. Garbage disposal. Gagging. Wretching. Decay.

I like spicy things. I like peppers. I like beer. This is not a graceful creation combining the "good" of any of these things. If you seek the novelty of this, strain some rancid salsa and splash some MGD64 in for a "beer" presence. Blargh.

3.66/5  rDev +15.1%

Appearance: Cloudy orange haze

Head: Fluffy cream head that dissipates quickly

Smell: Super earthy, grass and a very large chili pepper on the nose

Taste: Super spice all over and hot chili pepper

Weight: Medium to light body and low carbonation

Finish: Spices, spice and more spice

Over all this is almost like drinking liquid hot sauce

P.S. I don’t like hot foods with my beer because it tarnishes my palate, but what happens if my beer tarnishes my palate, if you would to ask me for another Six Rivers Chili Pepper Ale I would say no thank you.

3.97/5  rDev +24.8%

I picked this up at Monument Wines and Spirits the other day.

Appearance- yellow color, thin head that dissipates quickly

Smell- peppers, wheat, very nice smell, I love peppers

Taste- peppers, very nice and refreshing, very good flavor(at least to me)

Mouthfeel- light to medium bodied

Drinkability- I thought this was very good. It has a great pepper smell and flavor to it. I would love to have this again.

4.5/5  rDev +41.5%

What a surprise this was. When the waitress set down our samples, we started going around the tray trying each one. I had forgotten that they had a chili beer, then the first sip WHAT!? This was the first chili beer ive ever had, but damn I want more of this one.

Look: slight yellow, brownish, little head

Smell: habenero, green chilies, wheat with spice, almost like smelling someone cook very spicy tacos

Taste peppers or all sorts, a whole garden full, spicy very spicy, low hop taste

Drink would be great with a contrasting dinner, something not spicy honestly. But I could only imagine what this would taste like if it came back up.

This was very very good, I love spice so I would love this beer. I understand not everyone loves the burn of peppers when drinking a beverage, but I am one of those people I guess. It is different, very different, but this is one that deserves a try. I have friends who think they are big bad manly men and they drink keystone LIGHT like it shows how manly they are. They would cry there little eyes drinking this beer, now this right here, Is a real mans beer.

This is a bit of a shock to the senses. Looks like a normal yellow beer until you put it under your nose. Then there is no question this is a pepper beer. Mouthfeel is actually quite decent, however and pepper is what this tastes like. You are not even sure it is beer. Remarkable for its type, however, and while it is a bit of a novelty, it is actually decent to drink.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last