Chili Pepper Ale - Six Rivers Brewery

Chili Pepper AleChili Pepper Ale

Six Rivers Brewery visit their website

Chile Beer |  6.00% ABV

"Chile Pepper Ale - Alcohol content 6.0%
HOT! Spicy ale made with assorted chilies blended with our wheat ale."

(Beer added by: rkuhnel on 09-28-2007)
3.88/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured a finger of head on a hazy, medium straw colored body. Low retention on the head.
The aroma is first a little grain and then a lot of habanero/jalapeno pepper.
The taste is HOT pepper all over the place. Drinking this 22 oz bottle will be challenging.
Crisp texture, moderate carbonation and medium body.
No doubt it's a chili pepper beer; as advertised. It is warm.

Edit: I couldn't finish the bomber. The heat was too much.

4.25/5  rDev +34.9%

3.25/5  rDev +3.2%

1.88/5  rDev -40.3%

Pours a medium honey orange with no head. Light and clear but looks like orange water.

Nose is very light with almost no character at all. There is a hint of esters and some very light orange fruit. Hint of toasted butterscotch.

Mouthfeel is thin and give the initial impression of a sour - until the flavors hit you.

Wow; pretty much undrinkable for me. Flavors are an initial hit of citric fruity orange that quickly fades to pure pepper heat - no character, no appeal, just hot! Much too hot to enjoy as a drink and the heat wipes out any other character.

Finish is all just hot black pepper that fills your mouth and throat.

Not my style or preference. Will kill any other beer and most foods. Don't even try to taste other styles after this one; it is a "real" palate wrecker. If you just want a hot spicy drink, for some reason, this is for you. But, this one is a one dimensional novelty that has been handled with much to much of a heavy spicy pepper hand. Just my opinion. (The heat and burn in my mouth and throat has not diminished in over ten minutes!)

2.7/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A-pours a hazy straw yellow with a thin white head that disapates.

S- roasted jalapeños, bread, wheat, and chipotle chili.

T- wheat, the spice is only really present gong down, jalapeño pepper flavors, and bread.

M- watery with little carbonation and a dry finish. Spiciness lingers at the back of the throat.

O- I didn't like this beer. It had a muddy wheat flavor followed by a bile-like burning spiciness that coated the back of the throat. Overall I won't be partaking in this beer again.

3.6/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Amber. Pours 1/2 finger of white head that fades quickly, moderate lacing.

Smell: chili pepper, citrus, slightly estery, floral.

Taste: chili, wheat malt, citrus, bready.

Mouthfeel: light-medium bodied, moderate carbonation, spicy.

Overall: A good chili beer. Lots of heat, but the underlying nuances peak thru. Drinkability is good (if you like chili beers).

2.53/5  rDev -19.7%

I'm not sure you cold tell this was beer, if you took a sip with eyes closed. After a couple of sips, my mouth is so on fire that it just gets worse. A beer that needs a beer chaser. The one redeeming feature is the peppery aroma. The peppers themselves seem like they are just hot. Slight fruity flavor in the midst of the burning sensation. The only use I can see for this is a tiny glass served like salsa with an otherwise bland meal. Utterly undrinkable in the normal sense of the word.

Brewery claims it won silver at 2004 GABF, possibly in the juvenile beer joke catagory. Give your buddy a gulp of this stuff right after you spring the Whoopee Cushion on him. I have to compare this to Ghost Face Killah, for its total commitment to bottled silliness.

3.98/5  rDev +26.3%

Big thanks to Ben for sharing this one.

A cloudy, dirty yellow look with a thin head on top. A bit of lacing.

Smells of smokey roasted chili peppers. Some green pepper in there also.

The taste is much like the smell, but more intense. Fresh roasted ancho peppers, plenty of spicy pepper and some fresh green and chili pepper as well.

Very dry and spicy. Most of the heat comes in the back of the throat, but there is some on the palate as well.

This is definitely not for everyone, but it is for me. I like chili beers and this one delivers. Very well done for the style. I will be revisiting this one.

3.23/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a clear, pale yellow color with loads of carbonation that rise to the top and cling to the sides of the glass. Only a thin film sits on top leaving no lacing.

S: The aroma is solely strong spicy chili peppers with a wheat backbone. Basically exactly what you'd want in a chile beer.

T: The taste is significantly lacking from the aroma. The spicy peppers are there but don't make their presence known until the finish. Up to that point, it is just a typical wheat ale with a touch of heat.

M: Light bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. It has a really spicy kick on the end that lingers.

O: This isn't bad for a chile beer. The aroma is very good in my opinion, but the other aspects are certainly lacking. It does pair well with my turkey and jalapeno sandwich though.

2.48/5  rDev -21.3%

I have been searching for a good chili pepper beer for awhile now. I hadn't seen this one before so I was excited to try it

Served into a tulip glass.

A: Pours really clean and clear-ish, not very inviting actually. Hardly no head at all.

S: Overwhelming smell of bell peppers! Didn't even smell like chili peppers...very strange.

T: Overwhelming taste of hot peppers...and that's it. From the beginning and past the end of the sip I taste hot peppers. The taste stays on your tongue and lips even after you've done drinking. I just wish there was more taste to the beer along with the pepper taste.

M: Very watery in my honest opinion.

Overall I had high hopes for this beer and was let down. I actually didn't even get through a quarter of the bomber I bought. If this pepper taste could maybe be infused with a stout or porter style that had more depth in the beer I could really see it working out better. Well, my search goes on!

2.83/5  rDev -10.2%

Second time having this beer. First Chili beer I've ever had so have no real comparison.

Appearance: pours a hazy gold with light to medium head.

Smell: the aroma of the chilies is overwhelming. it smell almost makes my noise burn. Smells like what I'd perceive it to smell like.

Taste: WOW! The aroma does not disappoint in the taste. Chilies, that's all I can say.

Mouthfeel: my pallet is burnt, but it does feel like chilies have invaded my taste buds. very thin consistency, but the chili spice is too overwhelming

Overall: If you are looking for a Spicy, Hot Chili beer that burns your mouth than this is it! Very fun beer to use as a novelty, but I could not enjoy more than a few sips. I think this beer would be a lot better if it was blended down with more of it's base wheat ale.

2.25/5  rDev -28.6%

A: Cloudy orange haze minal head

S: WOW.. my nose is on fire! I love spicy stuff and definatly red pepper overwhelming.

T: and the taste follows the scent. CHILI PEPPER! WOW spicy hot and not tasting much else!

M: Medium to light body and low carbonation

O: WOW... HOT SAUCE IN A BEER! I love hot stuff and I love beer but I DO NOT love this. Not my type of beer. Beer is usually refreshing and something I love to drink after I eat spicy food... no relief here.

2.88/5  rDev -8.6%

Doesn't look like much, hazy orange gold color with barely a little white head.

Smells strongly of chili pepper. Fruity chilli with some of the sour scent you get from jalapenos. Some smoke from the roasting. Beyond that nothing else.

Starts out slightly sweet with a big pepper flavor. Medium level of heat. Pretty quickly this becomes nothing but pepper.

Mouthfeel is light.

Overall this isn't much, it is just hot. Not something I would buy again, there are hotter and more flavorful Chilie beers out there. This is closer to the bottom of the pack than the middle.

Clear pale gold color with a 1-2cm bubbly white head with good retention and lacing.

Smell is all chili. Roasted chilis. Slightly soapy/cleanser smell in there? But most of all it really does smell like spicy nacho cheese.

Flavor is all chili as well. Maybe a touch of wheat in there but the heat dominates the palate. Although the spicy chili dominates the flavor, there is a good variation of different chili flavor notes.

Mouthfeel is Light bodied with medium carbonation. Nice palate tingling spiciness that lingers but isn't too overpowering.

Overall this is a good beer for what it is. There are excellent variations of chilis with a good spiciness. It could use a little malt body and touch of sweetness but I think it's just meant to be about the chilis. I recommend this is you like chilis and spice.

Look: Pours a nice golden yellow with traces of orange throughout. 1/4 inch head with little retention

Smell: The first thing that came to my mind was spicy nacho cheese sauce kind of reminded me of being at a baseball game

Taste: There is not a whole lot going on here or maybe it is that the peppers just overpower the rest of the beer. But this is a chile beer and exactly what I was looking for and expected

Mouthfeel: Low to Medium body with medium carbonation and a very nice hot burn on the roof of your mouth. At first it isnt all that hot but if you drink it fast the beer actually gets hotter on the palate

Overall: I actually think this is a good chile beer. Not a lot of balance going on so that kind of kills the score but over all not a bad little beer

2.25/5  rDev -28.6%

A- Pours an ever so slightly hazed pale golden. Still more clear than all out hazy. Head is initially very thick but it's gone within half a minute.
S- Smell is spicy peppers. It's one dimensional but it's pleasing on the nose.
T- It is palate wrecking peppers. There is not much of a beer character. Beginning to end spicyness. The finish is particularly burning.
M- Light body and almost fizzy carbonation. It gives the impression of jalepeno seltzer water.
O- A chile beer should have elements of chile and beer to it. This only has elements of chiles. I think if there was some balance to the beer it's a style that could work well. As is, it's hard to drink.

2.15/5  rDev -31.7%

Found this bottle at the bevmo near Belmont shores. I was first captured by the word CHILI Pepper. Being I love Rogue's chipotle ale and I have seen only a have full of chili beers that this one is worth a shot. So the beer is cold lets get a drinkin'

A- pours orange blond, very haze looks like its a hef or white Belgium yeast.

S- Woo Jalapenos! Kind of reminds me of hot nacho cheese there is a bit of floral hops in the background but really this smells like jalapenos.

T-Wooo the heat! Jalapenos with a light malt profile very thin in malts. Then all the jalapenos and chilis come out with all there heat, as I swallow. The amount of heat is unpleasant I like the jalapenos taste but the the amount of chili needs to be taken down in less they add a significant amount of malt and hops to take it down. The only real and memorable taste is the heat.

M- HEAT and it is giving me a heart burn.

O- Disappointed, this is like drinking jalapeno juice, and there is only one flavor. I think there needs to be a significant amount fine tuning to add and make it more palatable. I mean in less you love the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Chili Pepper Ale from Six Rivers Brewery