Oak Creek Amber Ale - Oak Creek Brewery and Grill

Oak Creek Amber AleOak Creek Amber Ale

Oak Creek Brewery and Grill visit their website
Arizona, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

A deep copper-colored medium-bodied ale. It's fresh flavor is smooth and carefully balanced with a nice mellowness and hint of caramel malt balanced by medium hop bitterness. It is an all malt beer that is naturally carbonated. It is very drinkable in it's own and pairs well with all kinds of steaks, chops, roasted meats and spicy foods.

(Beer added by: Gusler on 09-06-2003)
Reviews by chinchill:
chinchill

South Carolina

3.76/5  rDev +13.3%

On tap at Brewery & Grill in Sedona.

Crystal clear, deep amber color with a white head of modest size and duration. Very little lacing.
Aroma: sweet malts with a strong dose of caramel and very faint hops.
Flavor: Sweet caramel malts with more bittering hops than the nose suggests.
Nice medium body; perhaps a bit light in carbonation; slightly dry finish.
O: a rather good amber.

05-31-2013 23:04:15 | More by chinchill
Bszymkow09

07-11-2014 08:28:52 | More by Bszymkow09
mattster

2.28/5  rDev -31.3%

Opened 12 fluid ounce bottle, poured into Nonic Glass.

Poured an off white head of 1" that dies down to light lace around rim and across top of slightly hazy brown brew.

Smell is of malts: almost a slightly corny smell. Taste follows through with a corny taste. A little bit of nutty nuance, nothing out of this world. Bubbles are harsh at first, but do die down. I am not sure this would be something I would ever try again, but I do try to support the local breweries.

Sort of a shame because I really don't care much for this brew.

02-21-2009 08:35:58 | More by mattster
magictrokini

2.55/5  rDev -23.2%

Very unusual beer. Pours very dark mahogany with a tan head. Aroma is nutty and caramel. Flavor is the same, but with a sour finish. I don't know how this can be called an amber. Not sweet, not transparent. I'd call this a stout or a porter, and not a very good one.

12-10-2008 22:43:19 | More by magictrokini
LXIXME

New Mexico

02-11-2014 20:45:03 | More by LXIXME
tjsdomer2

3.9/5  rDev +17.5%

Appearance: Nice creaminess. Full-bodied in color and head. Excellent lacing. Color is more amber than red.

Smell: Molasses and brown sugar. Definitely sweet, but very mouth watering. Not terribly strong.

Taste/Mouthfeel: A nice nuttiness. I don't love the initial bitterness, but this goes down smoothly. The finish of roasted nuts and sugar is pleasant and makes up for the initial burn.

Drinkability: One of the better ambers.

Overall: See drinkability.

09-19-2011 04:08:42 | More by tjsdomer2
NeroFiddled

3.78/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours a glowing dark-amber/orange-copper body beneath a short but creamy off-white head. The head retention is average, but the creamy collar that remains leaves some short walls of thin lace and some spots and streaks behind.

The nose expresses delicately citrusy hops (seems like cascade) within a gently sweet, caramel-drizzled malt base.

The flavor follows suit, and the gently bready (not biscuity) malt displays a medium caramel accent. That runs start to finish, showing spritzes of citrusy, floral, and gently spicy hops along with flickers of yeasty fruitiness as it goes. A firm bitterness balances it from beneath, and then rises to bring it to a short, dry finish.

Seeing as how this comes from Arizona where it can get pretty hot, I understand why they'd want want to keep this one a little more to the refreshing side. And although it's not quite what I think of as an amber ale, it's at least a bit more caramelish than an American pale ale. Kind of a hybrid.

07-01-2009 12:27:04 | More by NeroFiddled
russpowell

Oklahoma

3.7/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours an efferevescent chestnut with 2 fingers of tan head. Good lacing & head retention

S: Sweet malt

T: Sweet malt & brown sugar. Seet grainyness folows. finishes sweet & dry

MF: Light/medium bodied, nicely carbonated & well balanced

Drinks okay, a nice restrained amber

10-20-2006 02:53:40 | More by russpowell
BrahptimusPrime

Connecticut

3.25/5  rDev -2.1%

06-27-2014 20:12:31 | More by BrahptimusPrime
Westlake1

4.74/5  rDev +42.8%

I love visiting Sedona for the mountain biking, hiking, scenery and restaurants, but another thing I really look forward to is having an Oak Creek Amber. It is as good as any Amber beers I have tasted. Very smooth beer with no aftertaste. The geographic distribution of this beer must not be so great, I am surprised there are so few reviews compared to some of the Eastern counterparts.

11-09-2013 11:33:19 | More by Westlake1
Gusler

Arizona

The beer after its disinterment from the 12-ounce brown bottle sets in the glass a clear dark amber color with a modest and frothy head that is an off white color, the resident lace a thin but covering sheet. Nose is malt, sweet, and buttery, grainy, with the start nicely malt laden and a bit sweet, the middle is light. Finish is middling on the carbonation and the hops decent in their spiciness, dry aftertaste, a decent beer but not a great beer and would make a good session beer.

08-09-2004 15:25:12 | More by Gusler
david18

3.85/5  rDev +16%

I spent the week in Sedona Arizona and tried the Oak Creek brews both at the brewery itself as well as at a lot of the other local places. I had this as part of a sampling as well as on draft at a couple of restaurants. Ambers are not my favorites but this one was more interesting than many of the others on the list.

The appearance is typical of an amber, darker than a pale, lighter than a brown. The smell was not very impressive but, to me, ambers never are. The flavor, however, was very interesting. A unique maltiness that is both sweet and complex with bread and a little dark fruit.

This was a very drinkable beer and one I was happy to see at every place I stopped at.

11-14-2010 00:57:15 | More by david18
meathookjones

2.55/5  rDev -23.2%

Body is a light cloudy amber hue with small of white head. The head recedes down to a few bubbles quickly and there is an absence of any lace. Light caramel malty tones in the nose with a touch of fruity sweetness. Weak but pleasant. Sweet malt dominates the flavor as expected with caramel and light fruit notes. Odd dirty taste detracts from the overall flavor. Mouthfeel is as expected. Drinkability is hurt by the lack of overall flavor. This was not bad in any way really just a bit tasteless and uninspired. Thanks to nvsblman and the secret bunny 05 for the bottle.

05-17-2005 18:37:45 | More by meathookjones
neenerzig

3.9/5  rDev +17.5%

Got a bottle of this a few days ago on my still ongoing vacation to Arizona. I am in Sedona with my family until Friday. Got a bottle of this Monday night at a Thai restaurant we were at for dinner. Poured into a pint glass. This beer pours a fairly hazy, light amber copper brown color. The off-white head is 1/2 to 2/3 inch thick when poured. Sets to a medium sized ring lining the inside of the glass about 10 minutes after being poured with a thin surface layer Thin to decent lacing. Aromas of caramelized malt and a slight hint of spice and some citrus hops too. Flavors of sweet caramelized malt malt and a hint of spice, followed by a bit of citrus hops. Has a crisp, sort of bready mouthfeel with a light to medium body and moderate carbonation. Easy to drink. Not too shabby here and it went well with my food.

Eric

09-04-2008 01:53:59 | More by neenerzig
AEArider

3.75/5  rDev +13%

Poured a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass after a quick run. Honestly, I'm not one to normally sip a beer immediately after a run, but it was oddly tempting. And honestly, it was a good choice. Had an overall light mouthfeel and enough carbonation to be refreshing, but not 'fizzy.' Poured a decent off white head with decent lacing. Smell was of caramel and sweet malt, and the taste more or less matched, with a limited but noticeable hop profile. I guess the chemistry of my tastebuds may be a bit dynamic, but I swear a couple of times I've had this beer (drank a six pack over the course of about 10 days) I noticed a pretty distinct sour flavor, but it didn't come through this specific trial.

Good beer, have it in your fridge after your next marathon.

08-10-2011 05:40:44 | More by AEArider
kfirestone

08-07-2014 05:21:40 | More by kfirestone
JohnnyJam

3.29/5  rDev -0.9%

I don't know what I was thinking when I picked this up. I thought it was a pale ale so imagine my surprise when I tasted it. I was pleasantly surprised because this is a style I'm not that familiar with except for Fat Tire.

Poured from a 12 oz. brown bottle with no date code into a pint glass and got about one finger of head.

A: Pours a dark honey-brown color. A relatively aggressive pour gets about one finger of head that dissipates at a moderate rate to almost completely cover the top of the glass worth foam to the end. The lacing is basically nonexistent.

S: Smells of sweet bread and a little caramel, maybe a little brown sugar.

T: Initially there is a sweet taste like sweet bread, caramel, or biscuit. Malty and a little nutty. It definitely ends very sweet.

M: Mild carbonation but it goes down good. It liners on my tongue but not at all in a bad way.

O: This beer is more than average but this is not my go to style of beer. I like it but I prefer more hop in my beers than this style probably uses. I rarely drink beer from a bottle but this beer is good out of a bottle. I tried it that way the other day after working out in the yard.

08-17-2013 03:32:44 | More by JohnnyJam
Rick778

06-13-2013 20:42:10 | More by Rick778
Azpittil57

02-18-2014 00:29:47 | More by Azpittil57
OtisinAZ

3.58/5  rDev +7.8%

A decent tasting session beer that was light but still had some taste. Nice caramel color with a fast fading head. The taste was somewhat on the sour side but enjoyable nonetheless.

Carbonation was dead on bubbles were evident through the whole glass.

Great beer for a warm afternoon on the deck at the brewery.

12-31-2007 18:47:02 | More by OtisinAZ
CuriousMonk

3.4/5  rDev +2.4%

Wish I could rate the place as well! My wife and I headed to this place back in 2009. I had a tall glass of the amber ale. Pours clear and a slightly orange shade of amber with a fluffy white head. very dry earthy aroma of caramel malt, faint pine (not resinous), grapefruit and orange. the flavor is quite the same. Flowers, a little bit of spice and hoppy dryness on the finish. The medium body is quite dry and clean and the carbonation level is palate cleansing.

02-22-2011 21:53:10 | More by CuriousMonk
NoXcusZ

02-06-2013 14:31:41 | More by NoXcusZ
nlmartin

2.9/5  rDev -12.7%

Big thanks to nvsblman for sending this to me in Secret Santa 07. The beer was served in a pint glass.

Appearance: The body of the beer is a clear amber with a active carbonation. The head was a short lived white coloration.

Smell: The aroma of the beer is malty caramel. No off aromas in the smell.

Taste: The taste of the beer is dominated by sweet caramel.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a light body. The carbonation is good. The beer has one note but its a good note. This is a throw back beer. I could see drinking this beer all night long.

12-18-2007 15:44:19 | More by nlmartin
Naugros

4.33/5  rDev +30.4%

When I saw the average rating for this beer my mouth dropped. How could it get a C+?! Then I checked some of the more recent reviews and noticed an upward trend starting later this year. My guess is that this was not always as good as it is now. For anyone who gave this a low score you really need to go back and try it again. You owe yourself that.

NOTE: I had this both on tap and from the bottle

A pint of this stuff greets you with a tight, off-white foam that quickly reduces to a film with floaters. It's a golden amber color that is crystal clear with abundant carbonation.

The smell is not aggressive, but also not hard to pick out. Malty, nutty and floral, I hope the taste follows the smell.

Oh, it does! This beer tastes like it is of German origin and I'm guessing that the floral hops are Hallertauer orTettnanger. The malts develop the nutty flavor and it comes off as sweet pecans.

The whole thing is well-balanced, crisp and clean. I'm not used to ambers being refreshing but I used this as a way to slake my thirst on a four hour long scenic train ride and it served nicely. This was one of only two beers of which I had more than one on my vacation...in fact I think I had six in four different places.

11-08-2010 14:43:57 | More by Naugros