1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Oak Creek Amber Ale - Oak Creek Brewery and Grill

Oak Creek Amber AleOak Creek Amber Ale

Oak Creek Brewery and Grill visit their website
Arizona, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

A deep copper-colored medium-bodied ale. It's fresh flavor is smooth and carefully balanced with a nice mellowness and hint of caramel malt balanced by medium hop bitterness. It is an all malt beer that is naturally carbonated. It is very drinkable in it's own and pairs well with all kinds of steaks, chops, roasted meats and spicy foods.

(Beer added by: Gusler on 09-06-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 51 | Reviews: 35 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by tjsdomer2:
tjsdomer2

3.9/5  rDev +18.2%

Appearance: Nice creaminess. Full-bodied in color and head. Excellent lacing. Color is more amber than red.

Smell: Molasses and brown sugar. Definitely sweet, but very mouth watering. Not terribly strong.

Taste/Mouthfeel: A nice nuttiness. I don't love the initial bitterness, but this goes down smoothly. The finish of roasted nuts and sugar is pleasant and makes up for the initial burn.

Drinkability: One of the better ambers.

Overall: See drinkability.

09-19-2011 04:08:42 | More by tjsdomer2

BodiesLexus

11-21-2013 03:05:19 | More by BodiesLexus
Westlake1

4.74/5  rDev +43.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I love visiting Sedona for the mountain biking, hiking, scenery and restaurants, but another thing I really look forward to is having an Oak Creek Amber. It is as good as any Amber beers I have tasted. Very smooth beer with no aftertaste. The geographic distribution of this beer must not be so great, I am surprised there are so few reviews compared to some of the Eastern counterparts.

11-09-2013 11:33:19 | More by Westlake1
JohnnyJam

3.29/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I don't know what I was thinking when I picked this up. I thought it was a pale ale so imagine my surprise when I tasted it. I was pleasantly surprised because this is a style I'm not that familiar with except for Fat Tire.

Poured from a 12 oz. brown bottle with no date code into a pint glass and got about one finger of head.

A: Pours a dark honey-brown color. A relatively aggressive pour gets about one finger of head that dissipates at a moderate rate to almost completely cover the top of the glass worth foam to the end. The lacing is basically nonexistent.

S: Smells of sweet bread and a little caramel, maybe a little brown sugar.

T: Initially there is a sweet taste like sweet bread, caramel, or biscuit. Malty and a little nutty. It definitely ends very sweet.

M: Mild carbonation but it goes down good. It liners on my tongue but not at all in a bad way.

O: This beer is more than average but this is not my go to style of beer. I like it but I prefer more hop in my beers than this style probably uses. I rarely drink beer from a bottle but this beer is good out of a bottle. I tried it that way the other day after working out in the yard.

08-17-2013 03:32:44 | More by JohnnyJam

chinchill

South Carolina

3.76/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Brewery & Grill in Sedona.

Crystal clear, deep amber color with a white head of modest size and duration. Very little lacing.
Aroma: sweet malts with a strong dose of caramel and very faint hops.
Flavor: Sweet caramel malts with more bittering hops than the nose suggests.
Nice medium body; perhaps a bit light in carbonation; slightly dry finish.
O: a rather good amber.

05-31-2013 23:04:15 | More by chinchill
olilitewu

3.06/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Honestly this is a great beer, except this does not really taste like amber ale.

Great first impression!

I'd say this is a border line porter. malty, toasty, big bodied, not very much fruit undertone, except for some slight citrousy taste. good mouth feel, great bottle design. just not amber ale....

05-29-2013 10:07:12 | More by olilitewu

2.5/5  rDev -24.2%

11-18-2011 22:48:09 | More by Gatordaddy
AEArider

3.75/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass after a quick run. Honestly, I'm not one to normally sip a beer immediately after a run, but it was oddly tempting. And honestly, it was a good choice. Had an overall light mouthfeel and enough carbonation to be refreshing, but not 'fizzy.' Poured a decent off white head with decent lacing. Smell was of caramel and sweet malt, and the taste more or less matched, with a limited but noticeable hop profile. I guess the chemistry of my tastebuds may be a bit dynamic, but I swear a couple of times I've had this beer (drank a six pack over the course of about 10 days) I noticed a pretty distinct sour flavor, but it didn't come through this specific trial.

Good beer, have it in your fridge after your next marathon.

08-10-2011 05:40:44 | More by AEArider
CuriousMonk

3.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Wish I could rate the place as well! My wife and I headed to this place back in 2009. I had a tall glass of the amber ale. Pours clear and a slightly orange shade of amber with a fluffy white head. very dry earthy aroma of caramel malt, faint pine (not resinous), grapefruit and orange. the flavor is quite the same. Flowers, a little bit of spice and hoppy dryness on the finish. The medium body is quite dry and clean and the carbonation level is palate cleansing.

02-22-2011 21:53:10 | More by CuriousMonk
david18

3.85/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I spent the week in Sedona Arizona and tried the Oak Creek brews both at the brewery itself as well as at a lot of the other local places. I had this as part of a sampling as well as on draft at a couple of restaurants. Ambers are not my favorites but this one was more interesting than many of the others on the list.

The appearance is typical of an amber, darker than a pale, lighter than a brown. The smell was not very impressive but, to me, ambers never are. The flavor, however, was very interesting. A unique maltiness that is both sweet and complex with bread and a little dark fruit.

This was a very drinkable beer and one I was happy to see at every place I stopped at.

11-14-2010 00:57:15 | More by david18
Naugros

4.33/5  rDev +31.2%

When I saw the average rating for this beer my mouth dropped. How could it get a C+?! Then I checked some of the more recent reviews and noticed an upward trend starting later this year. My guess is that this was not always as good as it is now. For anyone who gave this a low score you really need to go back and try it again. You owe yourself that.

NOTE: I had this both on tap and from the bottle

A pint of this stuff greets you with a tight, off-white foam that quickly reduces to a film with floaters. It's a golden amber color that is crystal clear with abundant carbonation.

The smell is not aggressive, but also not hard to pick out. Malty, nutty and floral, I hope the taste follows the smell.

Oh, it does! This beer tastes like it is of German origin and I'm guessing that the floral hops are Hallertauer orTettnanger. The malts develop the nutty flavor and it comes off as sweet pecans.

The whole thing is well-balanced, crisp and clean. I'm not used to ambers being refreshing but I used this as a way to slake my thirst on a four hour long scenic train ride and it served nicely. This was one of only two beers of which I had more than one on my vacation...in fact I think I had six in four different places.

11-08-2010 14:43:57 | More by Naugros