2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Molson Canadian Lager - Molson Coors Canada

Molson Canadian LagerMolson Canadian Lager

poor

Molson Coors Canada visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Around the world, Canada is seen as a shining example of nature at its best. We have thousands of freshwater lakes and barley fields as far as the eye can see. That's what makes us so proud to brew Molson Canadian, our signature beer. Brewed without preservatives, from St. Johns to Vancouver, over 3000 Canadians have a hand in bringing Molson Canadian to their family, their friends, and their communities. The people who live here truly deserve a beer brewed with the best this land has to offer. That’s why we make sure our award winning lager is as clean, crisp and fresh as the incredible country it comes from.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2001)
View: Beers (53) |  Events
Ratings: 1,131 | Reviews: 458 | Show All Ratings:
BeerLovinWoman87

3.1/5  rDev +9.2%

Just finished my first Molson. I decided to try because I grew up watching Hokey with my dad and visiting Epcot's (Disney World) Canada pavilion. I saw it being sold by the bottle at a store and decided it was worth a shot.

Conclusion:, It's your typical North American Marco larger. Not the best, but not a drain pour either. I would drink it again.

04-21-2014 00:37:08 | More by BeerLovinWoman87
jmbrill81

2.48/5  rDev -12.7%

This is not a good beer. Without going nuts in describing this, it's basically standard crap lager. It tastes like carbonated cream corn with a nice metallic finish, just like if you cracked open a nice can of green giant creamed corn that you had sitting in your fridge (because you're a crazy person) and drank it down, but without the actual pieces of corn and béchamel sauce. But you get the idea. Don't buy this. Yuengling is better. This actually tastes exactly like PBR.

If you do make the unfortunate mistake of drinking this because your friend from Alaska swears by it, do yourself a favor and let it warm up a little bit. This actually improves this bottled dog vomit.

03-30-2014 01:02:21 | More by jmbrill81
FrozenJoe

Arizona

2.75/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance
Slightly above average. Typical macro lager.

Smell
Average at best. Mild. Corn.

Taste
Mild. Corn. Stale.

Mouthfeel
Slightly above average.

Overall
Smooth, easy drinking, fermented corn juice. There is too much corn adjunct in this beer. Not that pleasant to drink.

03-20-2014 03:43:47 | More by FrozenJoe
DrCDPriest

3.91/5  rDev +37.7%

For a mass produced bottled beer, this is the one to drink as the flavor, smell and feel are far superior to any American high volume brewery. No preservatives, slight hops, malty aroma and taste, and important to me, it is not over carbonated (I think American beer, Miller, Bud, Coors, etc., is typically over carbonated to hide the corn favors - just my theory).
I poured a cold lager into a glass, nice 1-1,5 finger head with some lacing throughout the glass.
Overall, it is a good beer for a cold Minnesota day.

02-12-2014 14:19:14 | More by DrCDPriest
Ron860

3.43/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: I haven't had this brew in quite some time so I figured I would pick up a six when I saw it in the case. At $5.99 you can't beat it. The label design is different than I remember and it does not resemble the one in the photo. There was also a freshness date stamped on the shoulder reading MAR 16 14. So, I was good to go!

Appearance - A clear yellow color with a medium carbonation, poured with a nice 10 mm head that had some decent retention. The beer left a very nice lacing in the glass. Not dissapointing at all.

Smell - American style adjunct lager but more of a floral aroma than Bud or Coors. Nothing offensive but nothing to brag about either.

Taste - Towards the sweet side with more of a malty flavor than hops, but they are evident. The aftertaste was surprisingly pleasant and left me wanting to try another.

Mouthfeel - Quite smooth and better than I expected. Somehow, I think they have really improved this beer since I've tried it last. It is refreshing.

Overall - I'd have to say I'm impressed with the quality of this beer now. Of course, I will need to continue to purchase one every so often to make sure the quality remains consistent. Only then will I be convinced. If you haven't tried one in a while, I recommend giving it another chance. Molson seems to have stepped up their game with this one and you may be pleasantly surprised as well.

12-18-2013 23:08:56 | More by Ron860
dacrza1

2.05/5  rDev -27.8%

DATE TASTED: November 30, 2013... GLASSWARE: standard pilsner...OCCASION: Cavs take on the Rose-less Bulls-suddenly, a fair fight... APPEARANCE: surprise--golden!--with a thin, off-white head that offers few bubbles; no lacing of significance... AROMA: tinny, bready and rather nondescript... PALATE: thin, drinkable and unfilling--a bit gassy but also a tad more substantial than the standard adjunct...TASTE: beefy in the aftertaste; the 40 oz. malts underpin a drinkable, thin lager--not much else to profile...OVERALL: rather drinking this than other Coors products is not high praise, but as a Turkey-day offering beyond the standard lights, Molson held interest and please a few guests with its presence; overall, a slightly more substantial mouth rinser...

12-15-2013 05:14:46 | More by dacrza1
Mike4TN

Tennessee

3.89/5  rDev +37%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

It's a Molson!! One of the best commercial beers in my unwanted opinion!! In the top 5 commercial / mainstream beers out there..This is a everyday drinker..Great beer for a mass produced brew dontcha know eh! The best part about this beer is it makes you wish it was hockey season!!

10-10-2013 09:12:53 | More by Mike4TN
bullwinkle88

Isle of Man

3.76/5  rDev +32.4%

Molson. I've had a million of these. Funny, in US this seems to be the most popular variant, while in Canada i feel Molson Export or even Molson Dry is the big money maker in recent years at least. At any rate this is a solid and pretty well selling beer anywhere in North America. Pours a solid golden color, smell is pretty unobtrusive if not entirely mindblowing. Tastes very crisp, with a kind of sweet finish rather than the dry stickiness I find with budweiser and its ilk. Not the best beer in the world, in regards to the style I prefer Sleeman's, but now that I no longer live in Canada I'll take what I can get. The definitive "B+" brew, Molson is a damn fine beer year round.

09-13-2013 03:01:45 | More by bullwinkle88
mikethebeerguy

Maryland

3.3/5  rDev +16.2%

This is one of the few beers (I've had draft, bottled, and canned) that is best canned. It's a great summer beer if you're looking to throw back with old friends and get wasted (lol). Cheap price, but decent brew. It is almost sweet. Lots of flavor and a bit of an aftertaste. All in all a beer I recommend.

09-11-2013 03:04:27 | More by mikethebeerguy
Damian

3.38/5  rDev +19%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Drank from a 12 fl. oz. (355ml) bottle purchased at Downtown Wine & Spirits, Somerville, MA
Served in a pint glass

Crystal clear brassy yellow. A creamy, bright white, one-finger head topped the liquid, but it quickly fell. Small drops of lacing trickled down the glass.

Dry, crisp, lager yeast notes dominated the aroma. Grainy, slightly toasty malts were also noticeable. Some candy-like sweetness. There was a slight grassy and earthy hop presence as well. Overall, pretty decent.

The flavor profile was fairly similar to the aroma. It started out well with lots of husky, grainy malts. Slightly sweet. Tart, wheaty and somewhat lemony in the center. The finish was crisp, dry and semi-bitter with hints of earthy hops. The adjunct notes that would eventually round things out made the beer a bit off putting however.

The mouthfeel was quite notable for the style. Medium bodied. Creamy, slick and smooth on the palate with a fine and zippy carbonation.

Like just about all American adjunct lagers, Molson Canadian failed to blow me away. For the style, however, this beer was pretty solid.

08-10-2013 17:42:50 | More by Damian
Jul72

Washington

1.5/5  rDev -47.2%

It's not a bad beer. I have been spoiled by the micro beers both in Seattle and western Canada. That being said, this beer is solid for what it is. Pretty similar to most domestics in the US. Smooth and drinkable. A very good choice for a
Cheap beer.

05-19-2013 08:03:52 | More by Jul72
bobbyr5

3.26/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Serving type: molson pint glass from a bottle

A: Yellow/gold color.
S: light, below average smell. Smell the barley. I expect that from a cheap beer

T: Like the taste I think that this is an above average taste for a cheap beer. Strong taste, but nothing complex. I only really tasted barley and a barley after taste.

M: Strong carbonation, too much

Purchased at: Mejiers in Canton, MI

05-18-2013 21:27:35 | More by bobbyr5
metter98

2.83/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

A: The beer is crystal clear yellow in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high white head that gradually died down, leaving a thin head covering the surface and lots of lacing down the sides of the glass.
S: Light aromas of corn flakes are present in the nose along with slight hints of floral hops.
T: Similar to the smell, the taste has flavors of corn and rice, although these adjunct malts aren't as prominent compared to other beers in the style. A slight amount of bitterness is present along with associated hints of floral hops.
M: It feels light-bodied, somewhat watery and a little clean on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: Although this beer isn't that flavorful, it's definitely very easy to drink and goes down easily.

03-26-2013 22:53:42 | More by metter98
Chiefy770

3.09/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured from a bottle into a Pilsener glass.

Appearance: Light gold body with a fluffy foam head. Plenty of bubbles floating around. The head thinned out and formed a surprisingly thick lace that stuck around for awhile.

Smell: Cornmeal and various grains. A little stronger than most AALs.

Taste: Toasted grains make up the flavor of this brew. Nothing complex here. Straightforward taste. I would say it is predictable of the style but this brew is a bit sweeter than others.

Mouthfeel: Lots of carbonation, a bit too much for my liking. It's a rather light body, which could work for or against you depending on how you are enjoying this one.

Overall: This beer is not bad but it is not great. I prefer this one over many others of the AAL variety. I am a sucker for this beer during hockey season... makes the hockey-watching experience feel complete. It's nothing to go out of your way to get but it's not the worst investment.

03-25-2013 04:21:33 | More by Chiefy770
eduardolinhalis

Switzerland

1.95/5  rDev -31.3%

355ml bottle served in a tulip glass.

A: Pours a pale yellow color forming a bubbled and aired head that dissipates quickly leaving practically no lacings

S: Standard Adjunct Malts Lager beer. Which means, a very weak smell of adjunct malts. Mainly corn. Disgusting

T: As bad as the nose. A slightly sweet malts upfront. Strong notes of adjunct malts, mainly corn. As a matter of fact, as the nose, you can barely feel some real beer in it. Some very far bitterness indicates that some few hops were used

M: Light body. Good carbonation. Terrible adjunct malts aftertaste

O: Horrible drinkability. Standard mass production Adjunct Lager. Don't drink it!

03-23-2013 20:23:56 | More by eduardolinhalis
beergoot

Colorado

2.89/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Poured a light straw yellow with a decent white head; lots of carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass. The aroma comes across bright and fruity, mixed with grass and grain notes. Thin, grain and rice-like flavor with a dull hop bitterness popping up at the finish. Light, crisp, dry, and fizzy on the palate.

There was a time decades ago where I rather liked Molson, but then, there weren't many other choices for “exotic” beers then. I guess I haven't really missed anything in through the intervening years. Rather subpar, even for an adjunct lager. This would do in a pinch, but would rather scope out a Budweiser or Strohs beer if this were the style I had to drink.

03-10-2013 21:58:34 | More by beergoot
MikeAAL

Wisconsin

3.48/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I was building my own 6 pack the other day and this caught my eye. I've heard of Molson's and heard it's pretty strong so I wanted to try it.

Yellow, straw color. Head dissipates quickly. Fizzy.

Smells grainy, a hint of malts and corn.

Tastes very good. A nice grainy, hoppy flavor and it was smooth.

Very carbonated, but still pretty smooth. A little heavy, but that's okay.

Overall, a pretty good beer.

02-08-2013 21:33:56 | More by MikeAAL
Braz

Washington

3.78/5  rDev +33.1%

Is a crystal clear light straw color. Thin snow white head that huddles around inside of the rim. Aroma is cooked vegetable like and buttery. A lightly sweet floral taste is what I experienced foremost. Everything is very light. Not much bitterness to speak of. Has a light tingly feel with a dry finish. Not special, but much better than alot of offerings from this category. Would be a good option poolside in the summer.

01-06-2013 21:42:51 | More by Braz
TMoney2591

2.73/5  rDev -3.9%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

O Canada...and so on and so forth... Anyway, this stuff pours a clear straw topped by a finger of relatively short-lived lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises mild wheat and a tiny bit of sweet biscuit. The taste brings in more of the same, with the sweetness really taking control of the proceedings. A light bit of macro funk spews forth every now and again to remind you of who made this stuff. (I wanna know what they do/use to create that character...) The body is pretty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, a fairly meek little beer, but one of the better, more tolerable adjunct lagers out there.

01-05-2013 00:03:21 | More by TMoney2591
Darkmagus82

2.5/5  rDev -12%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance- Pours a golden color with a two finger fizzy head. The head fades relatively quickly to leave almost no lacing.

Smell – The nose is very light and consists of a little bit of corn and a light herbal hop and rice smell.

Taste – The taste begins with some malty and bready flavors and a light corn sweetness. As the flavor advances the bready flavors are lost to an increase in corn flavor. More toward the end of the taste a light citrus hop along with a artificial sweetness and cardboard/paper taste come to the tongue.

Mouthfeel –The body of the beer is on the slightly lighter side with a carbonation level that is a little on the higher side. Both decent for the style, but nothing too exceptional.

Overall- For an adjunct this is not one I would likely go for. It is drinkable, but not anything I would like to drink on any occasion.

12-30-2012 05:08:45 | More by Darkmagus82
Alextricity

3.05/5  rDev +7.4%

I was in the mood to try some adjuncts last night for whatever reason, and Molson made my list. At $2 a bottle, I figured I'd try it, as I had heard before that it was surprisingly decent for an adjunct ... and it really is. In comparison to Budweiser, for instance ... well. There is no comparison. Molson (and Labatt even) is the better beer, and one of the best adjuncts out there, in my opinion.

I can't really get into specifics about the smell and taste, because it really is your typical adjunct fare. Rather than being corn dominant though, I feel like there's some actual malt in Molson. There's nothing special about it all, per se, but it's a respectable, cheap adjunct that I'd take any day (especially at the same price as Budweiser and such) over some others of the style. As I've already said several times...

12-02-2012 17:11:19 | More by Alextricity
Maltmaiden

Alabama

2.05/5  rDev -27.8%

A: pale straw. clear. lots or carbonation. hardly a head.

S: smells funky. like feet? fart? I do get a tiny bit of corn underneath.

T: funkiness is there but I taste more corn than I smelled. A little sweetness from the grain. I little hop bitterness. Maybe this is how this lager normally tastes but it's almost like it's on the verge of being skunked but not quite there yet.

M: I thought the body was fine for a lager but I know that the grain was the only thing making any body here.

O: I'll finish it, but that funkiness is definitely a problem.

11-23-2012 12:39:19 | More by Maltmaiden
Buckbamboo

2.68/5  rDev -5.6%

I was in Owen Sound Canada a few years back and I had several Molson Canadian's which I thought were outstanding. I thought I would buy a case down here in the states and the beer purchased in the states is nothing like the Molson Canadian in Canada. It's not even close. The case of beer that I bought just a week ago had a promo called "Only one is Worthy of the Cup" and when I tried to register it said the contest expired in June of 2012 which means the beer is almost six months old, maybe older It's very weak and watery and tastes like a light beer.

11-21-2012 20:27:22 | More by Buckbamboo
jimilayne

Come on, people. I get this is a craft beer site, but that doesn't mean you automatically discount commercial brews. You have to rate them objectively for what they are. If you were on a site that focused on independent music, but also gave you the option to rate all music that's ever been released, would you not give Michael Jackson's "Thriller" 5 stars?

That's why Canadian is getting a 5 star review from me. It's the best of what it is. If you don't even want to consider that, then go listen to Bon Iver and leave me alone.

11-21-2012 01:11:37 | More by jimilayne
Stephan99

3.13/5  rDev +10.2%

Canadian pours a light yellow straw-like color with a more than decent foamy head. The bubbles are a payoff –it’s a good bubbly beer. The aroma is that of dried hops with a light touch of malts and honey. Nothing stands out too much in the aroma but then again, remember, the context.

The beer tastes like grain, corn at first, rice later; I suspect are adjunct ingredients of the beer. It does have a touch of a metallic feel but overall, it is a better than average commercial lager with good taste, lively carbonation and a nice crisp mouth feel. This beer is obviously not, a delicacy, it’s a session beer that is best consumed at a cold temperature and while wearing a concert shirt.

11-19-2012 16:18:09 | More by Stephan99