Molson Canadian Lager - Molson Coors Canada

poor

Molson Coors Canada visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Around the world, Canada is seen as a shining example of nature at its best. We have thousands of freshwater lakes and barley fields as far as the eye can see. That's what makes us so proud to brew Molson Canadian, our signature beer. Brewed without preservatives, from St. Johns to Vancouver, over 3000 Canadians have a hand in bringing Molson Canadian to their family, their friends, and their communities. The people who live here truly deserve a beer brewed with the best this land has to offer. That’s why we make sure our award winning lager is as clean, crisp and fresh as the incredible country it comes from.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Molson Canadian Lager Alström Bros

2.25/5  rDev -19.9%

2.98/5  rDev +6%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Bottom of neck stamped JAN1512.

Appearance - Pours loose white two-finger head with decent to low retention and decent to low stick. Clear pale gold body.

Smell - Slightly sweet corn. Could not separate this from Budweiser in a blind smell test.

Taste - Musky corn. Damp cellar. Faint toothpaste. Some alcohol in the finish. Generally mild. Clean aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Light to medium bodied. Somewhat syrupy. Some slight effervescence, but generally feels flat.

Overall Drinkability - Truly a once in a lifetime beer. And by that I mean I'm not planning on buying it again. Light, only slightly flavorful, and mostly inoffensive. Basically an imported Budweiser.

2.98/5  rDev +6%

A: Crystal clarity with a pale, macro-yellow color shows a fairly strong visible carbonation. The head was quite the surprise, frothy at first, it retains rather nicely settling to a creamy covering, chalk white in color. Moderate coverage on the glass for lace with some whispy lashes. All in all for an American, or rather north American macro-lager have to give some cred.

S: Neutral nose, true to style. Some hints of fresh grain with average expectations being met.

T: Surprisingly grainy, lightly dry, with a touch of grainy sweetness. Light green leafy corn ears and light maize. The overall flavor was bad, it didn’t offend, though it didn’t exactly set my pants afire either. Sits on the fence of neutral acceptability.

M: Light bodied, slippery texture. Rather mundane with a quiet carbonation. Not bad but could of used some tingling and crispness.

O: Overall non-offensive flavor, easy enough drinkability if your into the style or not. Rather clean even when warmed up when compared to south of the border examples.

3.3/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

appearance = basic, light beer with white foam.

smell = malty, and a bit of hops maybe

taste = Crisp, easy to drink flavor. Has that weird "canadian beer" taste that is more apparent in labatt, but I don't know enough about beer to know exactly what it is. Prety good tho.

mouthfeel = very crisp

overall = This is my go to cheap beer. Doesn't have as much of that weird canadian beer taste as labatt, but is sitll very crisp.

2.63/5  rDev -6.4%

12. oz. can poured into 16 oz. glass (I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels a little silly doing this with a macro brew, even if it's an import)

A- Pours a smooth, yellow, macro color which is a little darker than I expected, with a thin, white head that dissipates quickly. A lot of carbonation seems to be bubbling up.

S- Smells kind of grainy and of something I can only really describe as "outdoorsy", with a slight hint of alcohol. Also as expected with most macro lagers.

T- Tastes like it smells, real grainy with a bit of hop bitterness and a metallic after taste. I notice the flavor seems to water itself down the more I drink. Or is that just me?

M- Light and very carbonated, yet initially bolder than other beers I've had that fall into the category of adjunct lagers. Watery finish.

O- Overall, while far from my favorite, I think this is a very good, drinkable beer for what it is. I bought a 24 pack of this that was on sale for a little get together I hosted recently, and it went over big with my non-craft friends, for what that's worth. While you can definitely find worse for the price, I'm not sure if I would go out of my way to buy this again if something else were available.

3.38/5  rDev +20.3%

I work with a guy who considers this beer his favorite. While Molson Canadian Lager might not be the world's tastiest brew, it does have notable qualities and I don't mind drinking it.

Appears golden yellow with active carbonation and a fluffy egg white head. Smells like a North American pilsner (light malts and soapy, floral hops).

Taste is mild with just a touch of sweetness, bittering hops and a surprisingly creamy body.

MCL sets itself apart from most U.S. macro adjuncts/pale lagers and Canada's Labatt Blue shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence (edit...edit...). Still, not as good as Narragansett's interpretation of the style.

3.2/5  rDev +13.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a .4L pilsner glass

A - Pale gold, small head that doesn't stick around much, not much lacing

S - Pretty mild, light grain and some metal

T - Lightly floral, buttery euro lager body, dry finish

M - Light and airy, good carbonation

O - A good basic lager, should be considered a EPL instead of a AAL

3.03/5  rDev +7.8%

Thanks to my brother for the tick with this one. 12oz can into a pint glass. This brew appears a perfectly clear light yellow color with nearly 2 fingers worth of white froth. Bubbles of carbonation stream through the brew and support the cap. A closer look reveals some very faint particulate floating around disturbed by the rising bubbles of carbonation. The large rising bubbles support the cap with a retaining power better than the typical adjunct lager. Some minor patches and spots of lace stick to the glass.

The smell of this brew includes a light touch of herbal hops, sulfur and a bit of a mineral element. As it warms up there is a bit of a grainy sweetness mixed with a scent reminiscent of original pink bubblegum. A swirl of the glass brings out more sulfur notes that get to be a bit unpleasant mixed almost with something like stinky cheese.

The taste includes some light bitterness which doesn't provide any distinguishable hop characteristics other than the mild bitterness which does a decent job of breaking up the residual sweetness in this brew. There is a sulfur element throughout and a sweetness that at times seems a bit cereal-like.

Perhaps the best attribute of this brew is it's crisp finish that leaves hardly any aftertaste. It is light bodied and modestly carbonated. Clearly this is a beer to be consumed as cold as possible for maximum enjoyment with a numbed sense of smell and taste. As this brew got warm, it became a burden. Sitting here trying to enjoy something with flavor and aroma is a failure. It does however fit the bill of an adjunct brew and it is for the most part without fault. This isn't something that I would purchase if given options. However, I will admit that in my years between the age of 16 and 20 I consumed a metric shit ton of this as well as Yuengling. Sitting here tonight I am thankful I have seen the light of what quality beer really is.

3.23/5  rDev +14.9%

Poured from a 24 oz can to a SA PPG.

Pours a clear light straw yellow with a 2 finger head that doesnt stick around too long. Smells of boiled corn water and lager funk, typical for an AAL. Grainy, and sweet and clean. Light, crisp, refreshing, watered down. Overall, its an AAL thats smack dab in the middle, taste good enough to be with the best of em but bad enough to be with the worst of em.

3.58/5  rDev +27.4%

Appearance: Super clear, pale straw with a bright-white head. No lacing. Faint wisps of foam float atop the beer. Lively carbonation pulls throughout.

Smell: Loads of cereal grains, faint touches of bread crust. Hops are almost floral, but quickly give way to grass. Corn, rice, and other adjunct aromas are prevalent. Sweet, as in creamed corn sweet.

Taste: Cereal grains and grass. The sweetness of corn comes barreling from the back, but again, the hops are almost floral. It's quite unexpected for the style, but appreciated. Faint touches of something that feels like toasted malts. Bread crust and adjuncts throughout. Loads of rice and corn. Tons of it I say. Minimal aftertaste or lingering flavors.

Mouthfeel: Thin, but smooth with a solid carbonation. Clean and a touch crisp. Drinkable, as would be expected.

Overall: I have to give the Canadians credit, they make a solid adjunct lager. It's got enough nuanced flavor to be interesting, but still carries that distinct adjuncty flair to make it go down with ease and repetition.

3.03/5  rDev +7.8%

355ml can poured into a 16oz pint glass.

A - Just over one finger of bubbly white head. Transparent golden-yellow, with a lot of bubbly carbonation in it. The head retains pretty well and leaves some spotty lacing trailing down the glass after it.

S - A nice mixture of grains and corn, with some malty sweetness. It's pretty simple, but unoffensive. More than I can say about some other beers in this style.

T - Barley, corn and grains are dominant upfront. A little surprised by the hint of hops present in the finish. Warms up with a nice wheat flavor. For a popular macro-lager, this beer has a flavor profile miles above it's contemporaries.

M - Feels pretty watery, but the carbonation is spot on. It's got a nice refreshing feel to it, without feeling like a Corona or something.

D - Probably my favorite macro-lager right now. It's not fantastic, but I never find it unenjoyable or offensive in any way. It's a simple beer, with a nice flavor & feel to it.

3.08/5  rDev +9.6%

I have had this previously far more times than I care to count, so I feel it deserves some comment. This particular offering is a 473 mL can from the LCBO; it pours a familiar pale golden straw color atop which a finger of white head develops. It lasts a few minutes and leaves behind some lacing; essentially a respectable-looking, if non-descript lager overall. The smell is faint and uninteresting; sweet corn and grain malts, but that is basically all I can detect.

Taste is of barley malt with corny undertones. A little sweet; clean finish with only a slight metallicity in the aftertaste. No hop bitterness to speak of, but not really a fault given the style. Light-bodied, and definitely clean and crisp.

If you don't overanalyze this stuff it's really not so terrible. Brewed for consistency and drinkability, not flavour, but the flavour that is present is acceptable for the style. I used to vehemently avoid this stuff in favour of Blue, but my opinion has softened with old age, I suppose. Either that or I realized there isn't much of a difference between them. Never my first choice, unless the selection is very poor indeed.

2.8/5  rDev -0.4%

Listening to a great live band while watching fireworks over Niagara Falls – how could life get any better? How about doing it all while enjoying a great beer? Yep, that’ll do it. I decided to try some of the regional brews, and let me tell you, it was a long night – I frantically scribbled down notes for five different beers (most of them Canadian) in the course of a few hours. Here we have the first of those beers: Molson Canadian. Sounded pretty generic, but I was excited to try it. Anyways, here’s what I found:

On-tap at Edgewaters Tap & Grill in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada. Reviewed from notes taken on 07-08-2011.

A: A pale, and I mean PALE, straw yellow. There is a slight brightness, though. The head is thin, and it leaves almost no lacing. Look very average, sometimes cheap.

S: Slight aromas of fruit rise first, but their brightness doesn’t get very far. The grape and orange-peel notes are coupled with some grains that show up soon after the fruits fade. It sort of reminds me of a dumbed-down hefe.

T: The adjuncts are clear at first, showing some stale tastes before anything else. Fortunately, they disappear fast. After that, there are some decent fruits that give the tongue a much-needed distraction. There’s no hops to balance the weak palate, so the aftertaste ends on a sweet note. Not a lot of taste.

M: Surprisingly, the feel is bubbly and mildly refreshing. It brings the beer’s drinkability up a notch from the low place where the palate left it.

O: This is a light beer, for sure. It’s drinkable, but not intriguing or memorable. Not my style; not my style at all.

3.35/5  rDev +19.2%

Pours bright and clear; pale yellow/straw color with a fluffy white head that dissipates into a film very fast.

The smell is sweet, much sweeter than most BMC attempts at this style and dare I say there's a light hop presence on the nose as well; not very distinguishable, but there's an earthy/floral aroma that is reminiscent of hops... Also a bit of a bready/wheat like scent as well.

The flavor is dominated by sweet corn and bread notes with a slight hop kick (flavor and bitterness) at the end, rounded by nice and surprisingly pleasing maltiness. I'm a little shocked, given that other beers of this style (Bud for example) are pretty flavorless and don't carry much weight, this is actually pretty damn good.

Unlike most BMC Adjunct Lagers, this actually has a nice flavor profile and not just "taste". I can pick up the hops and malt in this beer rather than tasting "beer" flavored effervescent yellow water. This is a highly drinkable beer with a nice flavor profile that is perfect for hot summer days; probably the closest Adjunct Lager that I've had to a real Pilsner.

I've been on a "cheap beer" kick lately, and while they're all relatively similar (PBR, Bud, Highlife etc...), I think Molson Canadian takes the cake thus far.

2.6/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Can't believe I've never reviewed this one...

A - Pours a crystal clear golden colour with a thin layer of head, little retention and no lacing.

S - Sweet corn, grassy wheat and a bready scent that lingers.

T - Much like the scent, though dominated by a wheaty bread flavour with the sweet corn flavours coming through on the finish. I struggle to identify the hops, though a euro pilsener flavour does come through which could be interpreted as a pilsener style hop profile.

M - Medium bodied, a bit prickly going down and finishes rather thin and overly watery.

O - There's certainly better Canadian beers to buy, but I would never turn one down. I wish this wasn't one of the top Canadian exports, but I'm inclined to think it might be. You'll need to come to Canada to see what we really have to offer!

First had: a can somewhere

Pours a pale golden-yellow, fizzy, with a quickly-dissipating finger or two of bubbly white head. Smell of old grains, sweet corn, and similar taste, with plenty of funk and skunk. Stale, rotten garbage aftertaste. Very light and very undrinkable. Probably worse than most US adjunct beers. The Ice is slightly better.

2.9/5  rDev +3.2%

12oz bottle, drink by aug 2011 poured into a pint.

A- Straw yellow, with a soapy 2 finger head that very quickly dissipates. Some lacing, but its quite minimal. Worth mentioning though.

S- Smells of significant grain and fermented corn. A tinge of dry rice like quality.

T- Clean balanced grain notes with malt background. Slight bitterness at the end followed by grainy after taste.

M- Highly carbonated, it is quite refreshing, especially when paired with a heavy food like a big burger. Light and buoyant on the tongue, but leaves a flour like feeling on your cheeks.

O- Good session beer, especially if your going to mow down some heavy appetizers or tailgate food.

3.15/5  rDev +12.1%

I poured a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass...

The beer is a pale golden yellow with lots of bubbles rising and a foamy white head that hung around and left a lot of lacing. It smells of hay, lemon and skunk. The taste is a bit mettalic with some other grassy and bready flavors. Feels a bit watery with carbonation that stings the tongue and a slightly dry finish. This beer is better than American Macros and I would drink it again. It's very easy drinking.

1.68/5  rDev -40.2%

Pours a clean yellow color with a white head. In the aroma, a small sweet malt. In the taste, small dryness with a corn like sweet malt. A small bite and thin bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry to a clean aftertaste. Quite thin and lacking flavor and aroma.

3.5/5  rDev +24.6%

A: Pours a clear yellow with a finger worth of white foamy head. Settles to a foamy cap and left a decent amount of lacing.

S: Sweet grain with a little corn in there.

T: Light grainy taste with some grain/corn in the after taste.

M: Medium carbonation with a light to medium body.

O: This still remains to be my favorite macro. I think I'm just biased to the taste since this was usually what I'd drink before I discovered craft beer.

2.98/5  rDev +6%

Poured into a pint glass and its a slightly darker golden then many american adjunct lagers and had a one finger head that disappeared very fast.

Since the head disappeared fast the smell was really feint but you could pick up a sweet malty aroma.

Upon tasting you get soemthing better then many adjunct lagers but a still pretty slight on flavor and hardly any bitterness. Heavier on the sweet malt flavor.

Well, it's not my favorite beer but could be bought for a "party beer" if you dont want to spend a lot and want to bring beer everyone will enjoy. It is definetely the best tasting beer from Molson that I have had so far.

Molson Canadian Lager from Molson Coors Canada