Molson Canadian Lager - Molson Coors Canada

poor

Molson Coors Canada visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Around the world, Canada is seen as a shining example of nature at its best. We have thousands of freshwater lakes and barley fields as far as the eye can see. That's what makes us so proud to brew Molson Canadian, our signature beer. Brewed without preservatives, from St. Johns to Vancouver, over 3000 Canadians have a hand in bringing Molson Canadian to their family, their friends, and their communities. The people who live here truly deserve a beer brewed with the best this land has to offer. That’s why we make sure our award winning lager is as clean, crisp and fresh as the incredible country it comes from.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2001)
View: Beers (54) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Molson Canadian Lager Alström Bros
Drew966

2.3/5  rDev -18.7%

Molson Canadian Lager pours a typical macro yellow with a white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. Smells like grain, maybe some corn. Tastes like pretty standard fare macro lager. Corn and a little bit of hops in the finish. Not particularly good.

05-04-2006 23:41:58 | More by Drew966
macpapi

Maryland

2.1/5  rDev -25.8%

Due to one of my roomates becoming pregnant, her beer supply has become communal. Although there are not many highlights--not criticizing her tastes, just making a note--it does give an opportunity to review macros I would not be caught dead purchasing on my own, including this one. Still trying to work up the motivation to sample the Bud Light. Stay posted. I digress to my review of Molson Canadian.

Pours a clear, yellow liquid with minimal head. Very boring.

Smells of corn and a bit of malt. It has a somewhat crisp aroma. Again, nothing special.

Tastes of corn with malt and barley. There is a hint of bitterness as well.

Mouthfeel is crisp and highly carbonated, with a touch of bitterness on the tongue.

Overall this is a pretty non-descript, bland and unimpressive beer--even by macro standards, which are admittedly low. I will give it some credit for having a bit of sharp bite on the tongue. Beyond that there is nothing going for this Canadian lager.

04-08-2006 21:36:16 | More by macpapi
jettjon

3.1/5  rDev +9.5%

Highs: None
Lows: Slightly flat and oversweet

A good pour yields a 1-finger foam off-white head that fades quickly leaving a bit of lacing. Color is golden yellow, and nose is of light malt and yeast with something sweet in the background—pretty average. Taste is pretty average, too: malty, a bit grassy, and again some sweet something that doesn’t add anything. It’s certainly refreshing in the mouth, though a bit flat for this type of “lawn mowing” beer. The beer’s certainly drinkable; you could put back a few while doing some yardwork. There nothing to the finish.

Overall: A very average malty lager. Not recommended.

04-07-2006 01:09:05 | More by jettjon
seanmhogan

2.88/5  rDev +1.8%

Had this a little while ago. It is an easy to drink beer. Smells like a normal macro. Nothing really special about this beer except the double labels can be fun from time to time. It's alright just overpriced. I'm not going to go running out to pick up another case of this to soon.

04-04-2006 02:21:35 | More by seanmhogan
AltBock

2.4/5  rDev -15.2%

I got this on-tap at a local bar for only $1. It came to me in a standard 12oz. pint glass.

It was pale yellow in color with a small head of foam and that left some sticky lace after it receded. I didn't get much an aroma, but what I could smell was the slightest bit of malt and that's it. I thought the taste was pretty much average, but a little bit better than most macros. The only way I can describe the taste is, it was nice and crisp with a slight corn aftertaste at the end. The mouthfeel was light and kind of watery. Overall I thought this made for a nice cheap macro that I could drink again it I saw it for a $1 again.

02-24-2006 22:05:00 | More by AltBock
Hibernator

3.08/5  rDev +8.8%

Molson Canadian
12 oz brown bottle
Jet ink label on bottle that reads A10623 21:02A
Served mainly out of the bottle, but also used an 8 oz juice glass for appearance

Pours a golden yellow with agressive mini carbonation bubbles that race to the top of the glass. Soapy white colored head on top that quickly vanishes to a thin lace and then no head at all.

Whiffs of mixed grains and rice. Some hops in the background as well.

A clean and crisp lager with hints of corn, rice and a sweet purple grape sweetness on the finish. There is also a touch of hops on the finish too.

This is the type of beer that I like to pair up with pizza. I have a cheese pizza waiting and I'm confident these two will work well together.

02-14-2006 23:23:32 | More by Hibernator
Wasatch

Utah

2.35/5  rDev -17%

Pours a light golden color, some carbonation, small head, and a little bit of lacing afterwards. Scents of sweet malt. The taste is a watered down malt flavor, not much of an aftertaste. Light body. Drinkable I guess, but I had to try this again to see if I would like it.

01-24-2006 16:57:27 | More by Wasatch
jasonpeckins32

2.7/5  rDev -4.6%

This one pours a pale yellow, very thin watery look to it. Head is nothing special and quickly whisps away.

Smells like any ordinary macro.

The taste is okay, considering the style. Definitly nothing foul about it, but really nothing to admire either. I'd prefer it over bud/miller/coors/pbr if thats saying anything.

Mouthfeel is average. Better than the appearance led me to believe. Drinkability is tolerable.

12-29-2005 23:58:39 | More by jasonpeckins32
kennyo

1.83/5  rDev -35.3%

somebody brought a twelve pack for xmas dinner so I had one to cleanse the palate like those lemon ices you get in fancy restaurants

Anotheryellow beer with not so much head, taste is there if you can find it. Aroma, like every other yellow beer. Better than Bud, no green appleness, I will drink the twelve pack because it's there.

12-27-2005 02:59:41 | More by kennyo
SteveO1231

Connecticut

3.5/5  rDev +23.7%

My brother knows that I am a beer nut so he gave me a 6 pack of MC for Xmas, I guess he thinks this is an exotic imported lager. I prefer Canadian macros over our macros.

Anyways, this beer pours a pale light yellow with a thick foamy white head. Tons of carbonation rocketing to the top.

Very light ultra filtered malt aroma almost biscuity with a some light hop notes.

Very light and crisp on the palate, mild malt sweetness, biscuity nut-like tastes. Very light hop bitterness.

I'm am a little biased to the Canadian Macros. This beer is very nice light and smooth, a good session, starter beer, or something you can use to cleanse the palate between tastings.

Cheers!

12-22-2005 05:40:38 | More by SteveO1231
funkengruven

Ontario (Canada)

3.1/5  rDev +9.5%

Molson Canadian, in a can, Much better than a bottle for some reason. Poured into a glass to a quickly forming thin head that quickly dissipated. leaving some lacing and spotting on the top of the brew. Smells typical of a macro, mostly corn. Taste is pretty much representative of any big name macro, not terrible but not particularly impressive either. Mouthfeel is carbonation and water, with slight traces of hops in there somewhere. Quite drinkable actually, and this time I didn't walk away with a headache, for a change. Not a bad choice on the Golf Course or sitting on the patio with friends at a barbecue, not like I'll be doing that any time soon.

12-20-2005 02:06:12 | More by funkengruven
CrazyMike

Alberta (Canada)

3.23/5  rDev +14.1%

This is definatly a sweet beer and it does hint of some kind of vegetable when you try it.

The major downfall of this beer that I would think of is the after taste, in which case it leaves sort of a chemical-ish taste. It is a little smooth though and goes down with no problem.

Overall, I would say this is an okay beer. Definatly overhyped by the media (especially in Canada), but is average. I would categorize it as the Canadian Budweiser.

12-09-2005 03:30:35 | More by CrazyMike
Shovelbum

2.15/5  rDev -24%

White foamy head over a clear golden body. Leaves good lace, but the head doesn't stick around for long. Light smells of corn and alcohol. Overall fairly clean flavor, mild corn adjuncts and no noticeable hops. This has a bit more body and sweetness than other macro lagers. Slight crispness upfront, but finishes smooth. Corn and veggie aftertaste.

A notch above the otehr big boy macro-lagers, but nothing to write home about.

11-25-2005 22:39:13 | More by Shovelbum
PBRstreetgang

3.63/5  rDev +28.3%

Pours an extra pale gold with pristine clarity. A three finger head of tiny bubbles will show fair retention and decent lacing. Grain adjunct nose with some euro hop aromas and a whiff of light malt. Sweet corn and pale malt taste. Hint of ester. Touch of skunk on the aftertaste balances well, but the flavor is a little corny even for a macro. Light body and medium carbonation keep the mouthfeel crisp, at the risk of becoming too thin and revealing the alcohol; but it finishes clean with a strangley addicting drinkability.

11-25-2005 00:46:48 | More by PBRstreetgang
CastAStone

3.3/5  rDev +16.6%

Alright here's the deal with Molson Canadian...

It's not meant to be consumed by beer snobs like myself. Therefore I am evaluating it in the style of mainstream Americanadian beer. Here we go.

Appearance - It's darker than a lot of macrobeers. It gets a decent head, though it evaporates quickly.

Smell: Light smell. More bitter than most beers in the style.

Taste: More hop taste than any other macro Canadian beer. Flavors are not quite as streamlined as many macro brews, and if you give it a second you can tast some mild oak flavor. This is a bitter beer for a macrobrew, although it is certainly cleaner than Miller Lite.

Mouthfeel - Clean, thin but not watery, sparkling. Exactly the average for the style.

Drinkability - Drinks okay. Heavier in the stomach than one might expect. Not awful.

Serving type: nitro-bottle

11-23-2005 04:31:42 | More by CastAStone
whynot44

Missouri

2.98/5  rDev +5.3%

Light bodied, clear light yellow color with a medium, quick disappearing head.

Aroma is barely detectable, grain with a very faint touch of hops.

Taste is the same, very light, sweetish malt with just a touch of hops bite at the end.

Very drinkable, crisp and clean. Good hot weather beer.

11-14-2005 03:52:27 | More by whynot44
nicksta

2.45/5  rDev -13.4%

As far as popular American macros go this isn't to bad. It pours an apple juice yellow. There is very little head and lacing. The smell is hoppy and similar to the taste. The taste is odd. I would have given it a higher score if I was judging it on hops alone which are good. Plentiful with a very tiny bite, but where are the malts? There are literally none to speak of. It goes straight into the hops. The mouthfeel is below average. It is a little thicker than water and after a drink it feels like the carbonation is stuck to the inside of your mouth. The straight up hops lower the overall drinkability so no chuging, but it is okay for casually drinking.

Not that bad. Better than most of the American Macro Lagers that America puts out.

10-30-2005 05:02:33 | More by nicksta
evanackerman

2.28/5  rDev -19.4%

maybe i'm having an off tasting day but i couldn't really detect any flavor in this beer, except for the faintest hint of hops, no malt to speak of. aroma was almost non existent, apperance was drab although slightly better than most macros.

I have been sampling a lot of different macros lately and i have to say that even by macro standards this one was very bland - extremely clean tasting, nothing offensive whatsoever, i now understand why friends who are bud light drinkers think this is "really good" beer. It does nothing for me, certainly not something for the Canadians to be proud of.

10-20-2005 01:09:33 | More by evanackerman
ozmodium

British Columbia (Canada)

2.85/5  rDev +0.7%

This is your standard light yellow beer, designed by one of Canada's largest corporations to appeal to the largest market possible. Boring. Pours a good sized bleached whitewash head. No lacing. Snap, crackle, pop goes the head.

Smells of sweet malt and a little hoppy goodness, mixed with naked corn cob. I detect an ever so slight skunky funk. Adjuncts anyone? Still, its not unappealing, as fond memories are linked to this fine lager. It always invokes a smile from me.

Tastes alright, mildly sweet with a refreshingly hoppy dryness. This is a decent hockey game beer. I find that it needs to be poured into a narrow glass to be enjoyed fully, I guess the smell affects the taste a lot. There'a a lot of corn in this beer. At least I hope that that is what that taste is...

It's nicely carbonated, feels good and refreshing in the mouth. Leaves a bit of a funky aftertaste of well, fermented corn I guess.

I don't know if the nostalgia tied to this beer or if it truly is pretty good, for a macro, mass media consumed product, but to me it's pretty decent, I'll drink it without complaint. I don't buy this stuff other than on tap...which leads me to my next review...

10-17-2005 21:04:52 | More by ozmodium
xduderx

Tennessee

2.85/5  rDev +0.7%

This beer is highly carbonated and best served very cold. The smell is typical of american macro lagers. The taste is very mild and smooth with no bitter aftertaste. The mouthfeel is very watery with lots of carbonation. This is a very drinkable beer and a favorite of mine while watching hockey.

10-11-2005 13:05:07 | More by xduderx
kbnooshay

2.88/5  rDev +1.8%

There are certainly cleaner macro lagers out there but i shall review. This was one of those gargantuan 24 ounce cans. This pours a light golden color (apple juice or piss) with a huge air carbonated head. The aroma is corny and sorta bleh chemically. This is crisp and light with not much hppage. The only thing keepign this tolerable is the sweetness. Not as clean as a pabst but much cleaner than a beast. Sorta drinkable.

09-07-2005 05:18:21 | More by kbnooshay
Knuckles

Washington

2.9/5  rDev +2.5%

So we left Cleveland after having lunch at the Great Lakes Brewery with the intention of heading up to Buffalo and Niagara Falls. Unfortunately, my sister and I were incredibly stupid, and didn't bother to get any coffee that morning (keep in mind, please, that we pulled into Cleveland around midnight and then proceeded to kill a half rack of GL beers - Burning River, Holy Moses and Dortmunder Gold - as well as a four pack of Nosferatu, going to bed at 4:00 AM and rising at 11:00), so I was moving a little slow. I get the bright idea to pull off in Erie, PA to find some guiseppe and get some gas. Bad fucking idea. To make a long story short, once we actually FOUND downtown Erie, we quite by accident stumbled on the lone Starbucks in town. We grabbed our coffee and left. So what was supposed to be a quick detour into Erie turned into a 2 hour "Ok, OK! HOW IN THE FUCK DO I GET OUT OF THIS TOWN?!?!?!?" adventure. We get to Buffalo, drop our shit off oat the hostel, and hightail it for Niagara Falls, NY.

We had read in a AAA book that Niagara Falls, NY had a Little Italy. That got my sister all excited, as she was in a pizza eating mood. Well, if Niagara Falls, NY has a Little Italy, it's so fucking small that we couldn't find it. We asked at the very pathetic souvenir shop that was located between the very pathetic putt putt course and the very pathetic Hard Rock Cafe with all the burned out marquee lights if she might know just where we could find some good pizza, and she said (I shit you not), "Pizza Hut." We took that as a sign to go to Canada.

For those of you who have not been to Niagara Falls (either side of the river), please let me paint a word picture for you: Niagara Falls, NY is to Niagara Falls, ON as a big, steamy pile of crap is to a nice, hot pizza directly out of the wood-fired oven. If you go to Niagara Falls, RUN ACROSS THE BRIDGE to Ontario as fast as you possibly can.

Anyway, as we're getting grilled by the incredibly hot Canadian border guardesses, my sister asks them "Is there any place around here to find good pizza?" Oddly enough, even the Canadian version of "The Man" has an opinion on that. So off we go into the paradise of neon and chaos that is Niagara Falls, Ontario in search of Antika Pizza. They've got great pizza, but their beer selection is a bit lacking. However, since it was Molson that bought out Coors, rather than the other way around, I decide to order a Canadian. Let me tell you, a BMC has never tasted so sweet.

Apperance: Yeah, it looks like a urine sample after I've had a gallon of water to drink, but it's what I expect.

Smell: Did someone say smell? I smell pizza, I don't smell beer (ok, not totally accurate. I smell a little yeast, and no hops at all).

Taste: Not nearly as bad as I remember, and to be honest it went down awfully smooth. So smooth, in fact, that I had another. Just your run of the mill, adjunct lager flavor. I don't know how to describe it other than that. Light malt body, a very faint hop chase near the end, and a yeasty finish that sits on your tongue.

Mouthfeel: A bit better than expected. Not nearly as thin as I recall. Maybe I'm just heady with delight at being across the border, and am actually able to see the falls, rather than trying to peek down their blouse from the NY side.

Drinkability: If I can drink a gallon of water in one sitting, I could nail a six pack of these without breaking a sweat. It's a decent enough beer for what it is. And you know, the trip to Niagara Falls wouldn't have been as good without them.

08-22-2005 19:31:45 | More by Knuckles
BuffaloBilly

4.83/5  rDev +70.7%

My second favorite beer. I can't believe these reviews, this is one of the greatest beers ever made. If you love beer (especially canadian beer) then you are going to love molson canadian. This is a great beer, I highly recommend it. If I had the money I would buy this beer everytime, its that good. Pours a nice golden colour, with a frothy head. Molson canadian+buffalo pizza=bliss

08-08-2005 01:59:57 | More by BuffaloBilly
niangelo

Alberta (Canada)

1.33/5  rDev -53%

Served in an 8.50 pitcher at a local top-40 bar with some work buddies - after the local smoking ban, so I didn't feel like I would skew the review. Poured a pale, non-commital pissy yellow.

Smells like veggies. Boiled cabbage. Maybe a hop hiding in there.

Mouthfeel - water, fizzy.

Taste - Ew. Adjuncts. Rice. Veggies. Anything they can fit in to make this pass as a beer and to make it as cheap as possible. Maybe ok if served on a really hot day in a frosted mug, but THAT'S IT.

The only reason I drank this was to re-affirm my reasons for moving to craft brews.

08-06-2005 06:47:35 | More by niangelo
tgbljb

poured a medium yellow color with white puffy head tthat quickly fell to minimal ring. Smell is slightly sweet with a hint of malt. Taste is clean and refreshing. Mouthfeel is not bad (but not really good either). An overpriced example of this style.

07-20-2005 00:39:06 | More by tgbljb