Molson Canadian Lager - Molson Coors Canada

poor

Molson Coors Canada visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Around the world, Canada is seen as a shining example of nature at its best. We have thousands of freshwater lakes and barley fields as far as the eye can see. That's what makes us so proud to brew Molson Canadian, our signature beer. Brewed without preservatives, from St. Johns to Vancouver, over 3000 Canadians have a hand in bringing Molson Canadian to their family, their friends, and their communities. The people who live here truly deserve a beer brewed with the best this land has to offer. That’s why we make sure our award winning lager is as clean, crisp and fresh as the incredible country it comes from.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Molson Canadian Lager Alström Bros
2.45/5  rDev -13.1%

As far as popular American macros go this isn't to bad. It pours an apple juice yellow. There is very little head and lacing. The smell is hoppy and similar to the taste. The taste is odd. I would have given it a higher score if I was judging it on hops alone which are good. Plentiful with a very tiny bite, but where are the malts? There are literally none to speak of. It goes straight into the hops. The mouthfeel is below average. It is a little thicker than water and after a drink it feels like the carbonation is stuck to the inside of your mouth. The straight up hops lower the overall drinkability so no chuging, but it is okay for casually drinking.

Not that bad. Better than most of the American Macro Lagers that America puts out.

nicksta, Oct 30, 2005
2.28/5  rDev -19.1%

maybe i'm having an off tasting day but i couldn't really detect any flavor in this beer, except for the faintest hint of hops, no malt to speak of. aroma was almost non existent, apperance was drab although slightly better than most macros.

I have been sampling a lot of different macros lately and i have to say that even by macro standards this one was very bland - extremely clean tasting, nothing offensive whatsoever, i now understand why friends who are bud light drinkers think this is "really good" beer. It does nothing for me, certainly not something for the Canadians to be proud of.

evanackerman, Oct 20, 2005
2.85/5  rDev +1.1%

This is your standard light yellow beer, designed by one of Canada's largest corporations to appeal to the largest market possible. Boring. Pours a good sized bleached whitewash head. No lacing. Snap, crackle, pop goes the head.

Smells of sweet malt and a little hoppy goodness, mixed with naked corn cob. I detect an ever so slight skunky funk. Adjuncts anyone? Still, its not unappealing, as fond memories are linked to this fine lager. It always invokes a smile from me.

Tastes alright, mildly sweet with a refreshingly hoppy dryness. This is a decent hockey game beer. I find that it needs to be poured into a narrow glass to be enjoyed fully, I guess the smell affects the taste a lot. There'a a lot of corn in this beer. At least I hope that that is what that taste is...

It's nicely carbonated, feels good and refreshing in the mouth. Leaves a bit of a funky aftertaste of well, fermented corn I guess.

I don't know if the nostalgia tied to this beer or if it truly is pretty good, for a macro, mass media consumed product, but to me it's pretty decent, I'll drink it without complaint. I don't buy this stuff other than on tap...which leads me to my next review...

ozmodium, Oct 17, 2005
2.85/5  rDev +1.1%

This beer is highly carbonated and best served very cold. The smell is typical of american macro lagers. The taste is very mild and smooth with no bitter aftertaste. The mouthfeel is very watery with lots of carbonation. This is a very drinkable beer and a favorite of mine while watching hockey.

xduderx, Oct 11, 2005
2.88/5  rDev +2.1%

There are certainly cleaner macro lagers out there but i shall review. This was one of those gargantuan 24 ounce cans. This pours a light golden color (apple juice or piss) with a huge air carbonated head. The aroma is corny and sorta bleh chemically. This is crisp and light with not much hppage. The only thing keepign this tolerable is the sweetness. Not as clean as a pabst but much cleaner than a beast. Sorta drinkable.

kbnooshay, Sep 07, 2005
2.9/5  rDev +2.8%

So we left Cleveland after having lunch at the Great Lakes Brewery with the intention of heading up to Buffalo and Niagara Falls. Unfortunately, my sister and I were incredibly stupid, and didn't bother to get any coffee that morning (keep in mind, please, that we pulled into Cleveland around midnight and then proceeded to kill a half rack of GL beers - Burning River, Holy Moses and Dortmunder Gold - as well as a four pack of Nosferatu, going to bed at 4:00 AM and rising at 11:00), so I was moving a little slow. I get the bright idea to pull off in Erie, PA to find some guiseppe and get some gas. Bad fucking idea. To make a long story short, once we actually FOUND downtown Erie, we quite by accident stumbled on the lone Starbucks in town. We grabbed our coffee and left. So what was supposed to be a quick detour into Erie turned into a 2 hour "Ok, OK! HOW IN THE FUCK DO I GET OUT OF THIS TOWN?!?!?!?" adventure. We get to Buffalo, drop our shit off oat the hostel, and hightail it for Niagara Falls, NY.

We had read in a AAA book that Niagara Falls, NY had a Little Italy. That got my sister all excited, as she was in a pizza eating mood. Well, if Niagara Falls, NY has a Little Italy, it's so fucking small that we couldn't find it. We asked at the very pathetic souvenir shop that was located between the very pathetic putt putt course and the very pathetic Hard Rock Cafe with all the burned out marquee lights if she might know just where we could find some good pizza, and she said (I shit you not), "Pizza Hut." We took that as a sign to go to Canada.

For those of you who have not been to Niagara Falls (either side of the river), please let me paint a word picture for you: Niagara Falls, NY is to Niagara Falls, ON as a big, steamy pile of crap is to a nice, hot pizza directly out of the wood-fired oven. If you go to Niagara Falls, RUN ACROSS THE BRIDGE to Ontario as fast as you possibly can.

Anyway, as we're getting grilled by the incredibly hot Canadian border guardesses, my sister asks them "Is there any place around here to find good pizza?" Oddly enough, even the Canadian version of "The Man" has an opinion on that. So off we go into the paradise of neon and chaos that is Niagara Falls, Ontario in search of Antika Pizza. They've got great pizza, but their beer selection is a bit lacking. However, since it was Molson that bought out Coors, rather than the other way around, I decide to order a Canadian. Let me tell you, a BMC has never tasted so sweet.

Apperance: Yeah, it looks like a urine sample after I've had a gallon of water to drink, but it's what I expect.

Smell: Did someone say smell? I smell pizza, I don't smell beer (ok, not totally accurate. I smell a little yeast, and no hops at all).

Taste: Not nearly as bad as I remember, and to be honest it went down awfully smooth. So smooth, in fact, that I had another. Just your run of the mill, adjunct lager flavor. I don't know how to describe it other than that. Light malt body, a very faint hop chase near the end, and a yeasty finish that sits on your tongue.

Mouthfeel: A bit better than expected. Not nearly as thin as I recall. Maybe I'm just heady with delight at being across the border, and am actually able to see the falls, rather than trying to peek down their blouse from the NY side.

Drinkability: If I can drink a gallon of water in one sitting, I could nail a six pack of these without breaking a sweat. It's a decent enough beer for what it is. And you know, the trip to Niagara Falls wouldn't have been as good without them.

Knuckles, Aug 22, 2005
4.83/5  rDev +71.3%

My second favorite beer. I can't believe these reviews, this is one of the greatest beers ever made. If you love beer (especially canadian beer) then you are going to love molson canadian. This is a great beer, I highly recommend it. If I had the money I would buy this beer everytime, its that good. Pours a nice golden colour, with a frothy head. Molson canadian+buffalo pizza=bliss

BuffaloBilly, Aug 08, 2005
1.33/5  rDev -52.8%

Served in an 8.50 pitcher at a local top-40 bar with some work buddies - after the local smoking ban, so I didn't feel like I would skew the review. Poured a pale, non-commital pissy yellow.

Smells like veggies. Boiled cabbage. Maybe a hop hiding in there.

Mouthfeel - water, fizzy.

Taste - Ew. Adjuncts. Rice. Veggies. Anything they can fit in to make this pass as a beer and to make it as cheap as possible. Maybe ok if served on a really hot day in a frosted mug, but THAT'S IT.

The only reason I drank this was to re-affirm my reasons for moving to craft brews.

niangelo, Aug 06, 2005

poured a medium yellow color with white puffy head tthat quickly fell to minimal ring. Smell is slightly sweet with a hint of malt. Taste is clean and refreshing. Mouthfeel is not bad (but not really good either). An overpriced example of this style.

tgbljb, Jul 20, 2005
2.65/5  rDev -6%

I made the mistake of purchasing a six pack of this, based on a recommendation. Appearance is a golden orange, little foam and soon-gone lace. The aroma is dextrose and grain. Initial taste has a lot of carbonation and a sharp bite of something bitter, faint hops, cooked broccoli, and a little malt. Aftertaste is a dry sensation that is so-so. Might be good with food if nothing else available.

palliko, Jul 12, 2005
2.91/5  rDev +3.2%

I bought a sixer of this after I bought a sixer of LaBatt Blue. I wanted to see how the the only two beers I ever see from Canada here in the U.S compared with each other. Clear gold in color. Taste is thin grassy malt, nothing offensive. Not a lot of lacing. Barely leaves any aftertaste in mouth . I give it an edge over Labatt Blue, but just slightly.

nota, Jul 11, 2005
3.53/5  rDev +25.2%

Clear straw to light yellow with a decent white head and nice active carbonation. Prominent adjunct cooked corn aroma and flavor with some grainy character underneath. Light bodied and refreshing but ultimately it's just another macro; maybe a bit better than the big 3 though (excl. Miller High Life).

Per Label: Imported (duh!) & North America's Oldest Brewery Since 1786

($15.99 / 28-pack)

RBorsato, Jul 06, 2005
2.33/5  rDev -17.4%

Pours a one-finger white head that fades fairly quickly leaving no lace. Clear golden amber color. Light carbonation and light bodied. Skunky nose. Starts smooth and sweetish, faint hops in the background. Good lawnmower beer. $1.45 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, Ma.

jdhilt, Jun 23, 2005
2.3/5  rDev -18.4%

12/19/05- Had at a party while vacationing in Montana.

Presentation- 12oz can with no dates. Poured into my Duvel tulip...hey! It's the only glassware I brought with me.

Appearance- This one looked pretty damn good. Golden pour with a nice stream of bubbles coming from the bottom of my Duvel glass. I guess that makes any beer look better than it actually is. Good solid while creamy head and average lacing.

Smell- Kinda stinky malt and grain.

Taste- Definitely better than the Kokanee I had last night. Still tasted like wet cardboard, but also had a touch of flavor that wasn't horrid from the grain and malts.

Mouthfeel- Average carbonation, maybe a bit phelonic.

Drinkability- Ranks up ther with the Bud's and Coors of the world. Nothing to waste your money on, but not the bottom of the barrell either.

GClarkage, Jun 19, 2005
3.03/5  rDev +7.4%

Presentation: Poured a light-yellow color, with about a finger-thick head that had good retention throughout. This beer was pretty clear otherwise. The scent was of grass, cereal grains, and a little bit of corn. It was typical of most adjunct lagers that I have tried, but it wasn't bad. It was just kind of so-so.

Tasting: A decent malt and adjunct character comes across on the front and middle of the tongue, with just the slightest hop hit in the back. Much like the smell, the taste had adjunct characteristics, particularly grains. But the flavor was there, which is something that cannot be said for all beers of this style. The mouthfeel was a little too light for my liking, though. There was a lot of carbonation and a watery taste in my mouth. But this beer was drinkable, and I would certainly have another if offered one, or if the offerings are slim.

Overall, it's a cut above some of the other macro lagers, but it's not fantastic. It's kind of in the middle, but it's easy to drink and it's simple. It's all right for kicking back and enjoying a ballgame.

bceaglejoe, Jun 17, 2005
2.33/5  rDev -17.4%

Tap: Poured alight yellow color ale with a small head with no retention. Aroma is quite weak with some malt being discernable. Taste is very smooth with no aftertaste (almost no hops) and watery feeling at the end. While it is in no way good it is not as worst as some other macro beer out there and this one probably benefited from the CO2 from the tap.

Phyl21ca, Jun 09, 2005
2.68/5  rDev -5%

Decent pour. Meh gold color saved by a nice head, although the head doesn't stick around too long.

Smells of dry grains. Light. Not much to it.

Slightly bitter up front, smooth in the middle, grainy in the back. Pasturized chemical taste all throughout. Decent for a macro, otherwise pretty meh.

Decent body and it goes down okay, but it's not the kind of beer I'd like to drink more than one of. If you're going to pay big bucks for an import, get something better.

mynie, Jun 04, 2005
3.18/5  rDev +12.8%

Color me old school but I was genuinely excited to see the new tap of Molson Canadian at a local watering hole...the first time it appeared on tap in town...right next to Labatt Blue (why you want TWO canaiden macros is beyond me)...decided to do a side-by-side tasting with the two...Canadian was better..see my Blue rating for that one..close but Canadian was better

Light gold color...fizzy head dwindles to nothing...faint graininess on the nose...husky, corny taste...creamy mouthfeel at first...medium-to-light bodied...finishes a little dry..

OK beer on par with most above average American Macros..

ZAP, Jun 01, 2005
2.13/5  rDev -24.5%

12'er purchased at the sale price of $7.99 at a Safeway that's two blocks from my apartment. The only other time I've had this was on tap at a beer garden near B.C. Place Stadium in Vancouver in June, 1994. I was there for a Pink Floyd show that night. The beer was unmemorable, and I was only 21 and inexperienced with alcohol anyway. Today I needed shit beer to be on-call in my fridge and this was on sale, and I haven't had it in almost eleven years, so I thought, "What the hell. If nothing else I guess I can review it."

Poured a pale gold color, with a big, fizzy head that dropped quickly. Modest amount of lace.

Smell was of corn (inevitable) and hay. Very mildly sweet malt can be detected, no doubt the much vaunted Saskatchewan barley mentioned on the carton. Nothing remarkable here, though it wasn't as bad as I feared.

Taste was pretty much like the smell - typical for an adjunct lager. I think this tastes better than Labatt Blue, but that's like saying Adolf Eichmann was nicer than Reinhard Heydrich! Any further effort to describe the flavor is pointless: it's bland, sort of crisp, and if that's what you're looking for, it'll work.

Mouthfeel - thin, but not as watery as some in this style (again, damning with faint praise).

This is drinkable in the sense that it works outside on a hot day or watching a game on tv. If you're looking for a memorable beer experience, this ain't it. As something to drink while concentrating on something else, it does it's job.

FWIW, the rear label says "Help me christen my hot tub." The only bragging seen on this beer is about the manufacturing of their labels, and that's appropriate.

woemad, Apr 02, 2005
3.13/5  rDev +11%

“It’s a Game of Inches” on the label. Pale golden brew with a medium, white, slowly diminishing, frothy head. Noticeably lively carbonation, and good lacing. Smell is a typical adjunct stink out of the bottle, but the stink diminishes significantly after a minute or two. Maybe this won’t be so bad after all. Now I can smell grain, grass, corn, and this really light buttery aroma. Taste is crisp, more grain, a little yeast toward the finish. The finish is short, crisp, and refreshing. Watery texture, light body, this is your typical adjunct…. but it’s done well for what it is. I’ll take this over Golden.

ski271, Mar 27, 2005

Clear slightly lighter-than-medium-gold colored gold head is just not there, none, just some bubbles surfacing. Smell is not there, either if i had to guess it would just be a little corny maltiness. Taste is also sweet and malty. Just corn and adjunct everywhere in this one. Every bit as bad as American macros, but more expensive. Hooray for this beer!

TastyTaste, Mar 09, 2005
2.98/5  rDev +5.7%

Had with a basket of wings and fries. Sometimes, this beer has its place. Pours crisp and clean, pale yellow lager. Minimal head, grainy aroma. Mouthfeel is crisp and sharp on the tongue. Light bodied, easy drinking. No offensive off flavours. Taste of grain, malt, faint hops. It did it for me this night.

baiser, Feb 19, 2005

With all the news about the Molson-Coors merger, I took it upon myself to sample some of their offerings (as I have not had any beers from these brewers for some time). This is from notes, as I imbibed too many the previous night to type well.

Appearance: Typical macro, light yellow/gold,clear, carbonated, slight white head that did not last.

Smell: Again typical adjunct macro lager. Nothing overpowering, but a hint of extra ingredients (read adjuncts).

Taste: A little sweet, no hint of hops.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, easy to drink nothing to excite. A little weak, almost like a light beer. So much for the "Canadian beers are stronger" myth.

Drinkability: Picked this over Golden due to the brown bottle. Its easy enough to drink and I have had this in the past, usually when the NHL playoffs are on and a Canadian team is playing a warm weather team like LA , San Jose, or Dallas. I just can't root for teams playing hockey in places it rarely (if ever) gets below freezing. Alas, no hockey, and probably no Molson beers for a year.

BigRedN, Feb 10, 2005
3.55/5  rDev +25.9%

Presentation: Canada's standard brown bottle. Also, Molson seems to change its Canadian brand label each year since about a decade. It seems to be the sign of a lack of sale crisis. Lots of drinkers buy this beer for the name (nationalism) rather than the product itself.

Appearance: Pale golden. Average. Nothing bad, nothing good.

Smell: Mix of hops and piss. I have lots better...

Taste: The first times I drank this lager, it was so fade and watery in my ale world. With the years, I found it a smoothness that I like well.

Mouthfeel: Verrry smmmoooth. A good macro for a heavy drinking night.

Drinkability: A good choice for heavy drinking, but not for quality drinking ( whatever the "premium lager" label says).

Barraclou, Feb 06, 2005
2.78/5  rDev -1.4%

Beer pours a pale yellow gold, substantial carbonation. Head of white bubbles with appreciable longevity. Some lacing effects.

Not nearly as strong an adjunct aroma of corn and rice as I would have expected from a macro lager. It's there, but it shares room with crisp hops and light malt undertones. Better than expected.

Taste is odd, but not in an entirely bad way. The corn/rice flavor is there, along with a medicinal acrid taste. Finishes clean, leaving the palate without a trace and slightly scoured.

As far as the style goes, not bad. I could easily knock back 2-3 of these after a day in the sun. Doesn't approach the level of a German lager, but beats Budweiser for sure.

Hunter, Jan 18, 2005