Molson Canadian Lager - Molson Coors Canada

Molson Coors Canada visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2001

Around the world, Canada is seen as a shining example of nature at its best. We have thousands of freshwater lakes and barley fields as far as the eye can see. That's what makes us so proud to brew Molson Canadian, our signature beer. Brewed without preservatives, from St. Johns to Vancouver, over 3000 Canadians have a hand in bringing Molson Canadian to their family, their friends, and their communities. The people who live here truly deserve a beer brewed with the best this land has to offer. That’s why we make sure our award winning lager is as clean, crisp and fresh as the incredible country it comes from.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Molson Canadian Lager Alström Bros
2.6/5  rDev -7.5%

473ml can poured into pint glass

A - Poured a clear yellow with a deceiving big bubbly white head that didn't last long. Little lacing.

S - Mild, light sweetness, some grassiness.

T - Light sweetness and some slightly off putting bitterness.

M - Average carbonation. Feels a bit watery.

D - Average. Not offensive but doesn't stand out either.

This is just your typical macro brewed beer.

3.55/5  rDev +26.3%

I bought a 24 pack for tailgating. My bro and I were seeing OAR so we needed something half way decent to sip on.

A: Surprisingly not bad. Kind of a tan yellow color. Some bubbles making their way to the top. Great looking head that was about two inches thick when I poured it. It's almost gone now that I'm done typing this.

S: Spicy hop character. Not too different from your typical American Lager but it had some zest to it.

T: Quite sweet and smooth. A lot like the smell, a little hoppy and spicy too. Probably one of the better lagers I've tasted.

M: Thin, not much carbonation. Light to light medium feel.

D: Very drinkable. When in a cooler surrounded by ice, this is one smooth and very drinkable beer. I can easily take out 12 if I'm in the mood.

Overall, my favorite macro out there. If I don't go for a craft brew, which isn't very often, I definitely grab a Molson Canadian. I would take it over Budweiser many times over.

2.85/5  rDev +1.4%

Had this straight out of the bottle while at camp. Buddy brought it back from Canada. Appearance and smell was that of your typical macro lager.It actually went down pretty smoothly and the taste was a bit better than your average macro. Mouthfeel was medium and drinkability was pretty good. A semi-solid choice for quaffing at camp.

3.5/5  rDev +24.6%

12oz. Brown bottle, pint glass.

A: Golden yellow. Light carbonation. White fluffy head which almost disappears as fast as it forms. Still looks tasty.

S: Surprising sweet hops and light malts.

T/M: Light body. Light spicy hops, very smooth. Its almost buttery. Sweet and refreshing, Dry on the back end.

D: Nice adjunct lager that definitely rivals any of the other adjuncts out there Canadian or American. Not lacking in taste. Sweet and even a little bit spicy.

Cheers!!

2.33/5  rDev -17.1%

A: Pale straw yellow with active carbonation; but which macro-brewed lager isn't?

S: A faint sweet yeast smell; there's also adjunct malts in the background with a metallic twang.

T: A faint adjunct malt taste; mostly corn. There's very little to distinguish the taste from seltzer water.

M: Clean and crisp.

D: There's really nothing special about this beer. It really is just a clean-tasting run-of-the-mill macro lager.

3.04/5  rDev +8.2%

Appearance is a light straw yellow with no head and nill lace. Smell of adjuncts and light hops. taste is grainy, corn and hop. Mouthfeel has good body with higher carbonation. Considering it's really not that bad, it's better than a lot of other macro's out there.

3.37/5  rDev +19.9%

I could drink this all day if I were stuck at a nascar event(see irony: Canadian beer, American sport). It's better than most macro brews sold in my area. Easily edges out other lagers in my heart when I need a lot of bottles of something and I don't want to pay a lot; this is my go to for that.

L: Looks yellow/brown, crisp, I typically drink these out of the bottle.
S: smells like a lager, no distinct or interesting notes.
T: Like a lager, typically fresher flavors
M: Nothing Special, goes down smooth takes its flavor with it.

Plus: It's the official import of the Detroit Red Wings. Comedic labels.

I'd drink this if I wanted to get hammered, I was having non-beer geek friends over, or I wanted to get hammered while choking down ballpark franks a family reunion.

2.51/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured bottle into mug.

Appearance: Golden and clear with a big head that dissipates quickly.

Smell: Slightly funky malt smell, but pretty bland overall.

Taste: Fairly bland with a mildly bitter kick. It's not the smoothest thing it the world.

Mouthfeel: Thin and watery.

Drinkability: It's not bad, but it's not something I'm going to rush out and buy every weekend.

2.59/5  rDev -7.8%

A- Crystal clear see through yellow. There was almost a finger of head and before that disappeared it looked ok. The left over head also left some very spotty lace that slid down the glass.

S- The only thing that I can really detect is a hint of sweetness.

T & M- Very very thin watery taste is apparent right from the start. Not much at all going on except for some sweetness and a very slight bitterness that gives way to a watery finish. The bitterness was very fleeting and after about half the glass the sweetness took over.

Not the worst macro lager by any means. I could drink this if there was nothing better to be had.

3.03/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured a 341-ml bottle into a draught glass.

Appearance - light golder colour with a quickly dissolved white head. Reduced to thin suface bubbles with a thin ring of lace. Looks restaurant-esque where they serve this product by the bucketful.

Smell - fresh, inoffensive light malt smell. The scent gives away the fact that this is going to be one sweet beer. Thin corn syrup aroma sets the tone.

Taste - pretty balanced up front and then the decent malt taste comes in with a wave of cotton-candy sweet syrupy flavour. Not a lot of hops but what is there dries out the saliva reaction to all that sugar.

Mouthfeel - fairly soft on the palate overall, but the carbonation that is there covers the flavour and there's a delay in picking up the character. I'm sure this is a reason for how this stuff is so popular.

Drinkability - there's no question that this is highly quaffable if you suspend all interest in complex flavours. The sweetness for me definitely gets annoying and is probably the cause of much vomiting over the years, along with the bad pizza that accompanied the night of binging. This one has the advertising juggernaut behind it though so it will be a mainstay for many for years to come.

3.3/5  rDev +17.4%

poured from 24oz tall boy
A: pours nice golden color and a large head with lots of bubbles indicating this to be very carbinated
S: smells of a little sweet grain but corn mostly dominates the smell
T: taste is sweet and light malt and a roasted corn taste finishes off the palate
M: light watery body and is highly carbinated
D: very tasty beer i can drink a couple of these cans

1.98/5  rDev -29.5%

I drank this beer off tap while waiting at Pearson for a flight to JFK. I vaguely remembered it being decent while in college. Not so much.

The taste was so different from what I remembered that either my tastes have changed drastically or it may have actually been a different brew on tap in Canada than in a bottle in the States a few years ago.

A: Not much of a head. Could see through it, it was so light.

S: Not much of a smell, almost skunky.

T: Light, tasteless, plain.

M: As said before, light, nothing there.

D: For cheap beer I guess it's okay but it tastes like a light beer. Overall it is lacking. It would be good if I just started college and drinking there.

3.32/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured from a brown bottle into a weizen glass. Has a pale straw color with a 1/2 inch head. Smells slightly sweet with a touch of corn. Taste is not bad but rather bland. Not a lot of flavor here. Feels watery in the mouth. Goes down smooth, drinkability is good. Overall an average lager.

3.18/5  rDev +13.2%

A - Pours a healthy golden color. A finger of foam disappears to a ring of bubbles in about a minute. Surprisingly, there is a bit of initial lacing.

S - Vegetal cooked corn smell, with a trace of misused, metallic hops. Par for the course.

T - Sweet cooked corn gives way to toasted grains and a grazing of hops marks the finish. Better than many of this style.

M - Again, notably better than most in this style - less watery. Carbonation level lends a slightly creamy swallow that helps mask what would otherwise be a thinnish brew.

D - Goes down smooth. A solid lawnmower beer, or something worthy of washing down food at your next summer BBQ.

3.28/5  rDev +16.7%

A solid inexpensive lager in the tradition of German Bavarian lagers. It far surpasses many of the big name Germans including Becks and St. Pauli Girl and beats the American big 3 hands down. That said it is a good but not great brew that diminishes in direct contrast to its temperature. As it warms it loses appeal. it is best served at 40-45 degrees during the summer months. The flavor mix is also a tad weak but I'll take weak over unpleasant any day!

2.98/5  rDev +6%

First off, I am bias against Canadian beer. I just wanted to get that out to add some context to the results.

It pours a light golden color with a fast dissipating head. The smell is Canadian if I have ever smelled it. The taste is Canadian if I have ever tasted it. It does go down smooth with little to no after taste.

Verdict: Best I do not give one since I show bias against Canadian tasting beer.

2.95/5  rDev +5%

This is the beer of my youth, and I can't remember how many of these I put back. I got this one at a Stag and Doe for a friend's sister, but it's not like it's hard to find this beer when you are in Ontario.

Appearance: Standard stuff, poured with a thumb of head. The head doesn't retain too well, and the lacing is present but on the lighter side. The beer itself is a slightly darker gold color then most adjuncts of it's kind.

Smell: It smells pretty much like your average beer. There are notes of corn, toasted grains, with the barest hint of malt and hops. It's not subdued and doesn't take too much warming to come out. In a word, average.

Taste: Starts with a slight sweeter corn and malt flavor that turns to a morn toasted grain flavor and ends with a touch of hops. It's not bad, it's not really good, it's just average and generic.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is quite good as the generic aftertaste doesn't linger. The carbonation is surprisingly and pleasantly light. It's a very clean beer, that's neither dry nor watered down.

Drinkability: This beer is fairly refreshing, and it's smooth going down. There are also no gas issues, however the beer can start to get heavy and bloat after a couple.

Final Thoughts: When I was younger, and didn't know any better, the reasons for drinking Canadian were a mixture of national pride, funny commercials and getting used to beer in general. Over time, other beer became available and I expanded my horizons. To this day, Canadian remains the yard stick for me, as so far as what an average, generic beer tastes like and should be. I'll still have it on the occasion for nostalgia's sake, usually only because I have to choose between other macro brews.

2.71/5  rDev -3.6%

Nothing out of the ordinary here. This was pretty much everything I expected it to be. Pale golden color with this white head. Grassy malt profile in aroma and taste. There was actually a bit more body than I expected, which was a pleasant surprise. An adjunct lager to the core. Not a bad choice if you are looking to grab a adjunct lager.

2.11/5  rDev -24.9%

Pours a perfectly clear straw yellow with a surprisingly resilient white head. Smells slightly sweet and...adjuncty. Very light, somewhat grainy taste. Grain water might actually be the best descriptor. Feel is actually decent for the style, but still lacking. Easy to drink, and nice for what it is, but in the end just another characterless, flavorless macro.

2.89/5  rDev +2.8%

A- Nothing special. A very light yellow with little rapidly fading white head.

S- Corn with some biscuity malt. Not much else, although I guess it is a little stronger than most adjuncts.

T- Adjunct malt. Corn with some biscuit. Pretty malty for the style, but still nothing too pleasing. One dimensional.

M- Light and moderately carbonated.

D- Drinks pretty well, although I would reach for something more exciting.

3.16/5  rDev +12.5%

473mL can poured into pint glass.

Pours a clear yellow with lots of carbonation visible. Generous white head is produced, but shrinks pretty quickly to a small cap that stays around until the end.

Aroma is a bit bready and sweet, with some corn.

Taste seems dominated at first taste by cooked sweet corn. Further in I find a honey-like sweetness, some grains.

Mouthfeel is medium body, surprisingly light carbonation. Clean and a bit on the dry side.

Though it's nothing special, this beer goes down easily and cleanly, and I like it a lot more than many in the style. This used to be the beer that fuelled my weekends in university. Thankfully better taste has prevailed, but I still drink this when it's cheap out at the bars.

2.38/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

The color is a clear yellowish gold with a slight white head, no lacing.

The smell is a sweet but grainy feel a tiny floral feel to it, not very strong.

The taste is pretty light, tastes a bit sweet with a ceral type flavor. Not very strong in flavor.

This beer is a bit light and easy drinking. Some nice crispness to the feel and a bit refreshing.

3.2/5  rDev +13.9%

A- Pours transparent yellow with a thin white head
S- hints of sulfur and corn. Reminds me of champagne for some reason? Smells like a light american lager.
T- Slight corn flavor. No hop flavor whatsoever.
M- Very thin. Very slightly creamy.
D- One of my favorites for an all day affair such as tailgating etc.

3.21/5  rDev +14.2%

This was left over from a friend after Easter dinner. I wouldn't usually get an American Adjunct for myself, but I saw no reason not to try it.

The appearance is pretty typical, although a slightly more coppery color than most of its kind. Head retention isn't great but there is some light lacing at the start that sticks to the top of the glass.
The aroma is corn and toasted grains. I detect very light notes of malt and hops, both behind.
The flavors a little light but not too much so. The sweetness is up front as expected with corn husk and grains, but the balance isn't atrocious. When the hops and malt appear, it actually all works together fairly well.
One thing about this style I've discovered is that it is usually very crisp, clean and refreshing. A little light, of course, but good.
Overall this is quite drinkable and perhaps a small step above others of its kind.

4.4/5  rDev +56.6%

I found this to be an exceptional lager beer. I especially enjoyed its taste and drinkability. It is a far suerior product to those watered down versions put out by Bush, Bud, or Bud Light and - at a significantly lower price per bottle I might add. I will make it a point to always keep some on hand (for myself if no one else).

Molson Canadian Lager from Molson Coors Canada