Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Molson Canadian Lager - Molson Coors Canada

Molson Canadian LagerMolson Canadian Lager

Molson Coors Canada visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2001

Around the world, Canada is seen as a shining example of nature at its best. We have thousands of freshwater lakes and barley fields as far as the eye can see. That's what makes us so proud to brew Molson Canadian, our signature beer. Brewed without preservatives, from St. Johns to Vancouver, over 3000 Canadians have a hand in bringing Molson Canadian to their family, their friends, and their communities. The people who live here truly deserve a beer brewed with the best this land has to offer. That’s why we make sure our award winning lager is as clean, crisp and fresh as the incredible country it comes from.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Molson Canadian Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 490 | Hads: 1,613

O Canada!

Maple Leaf Victory. Hopefully.

Appearance (3.5) : A fuzzy, creamy white cap, about 2 fingers tall. Body is a typical straw american adjunct lager color. Transparent.

Aroma (3.75) : Crisp, clean rice, corn, and barley. Light citrus hop behind it. Cleaner than most other lagers I've nosed.

Taste (3.75) : Carbonation hits first with a robust, malty character and a good flavor profile. There's roasted corn, toasted barley, a little bit of hard boiled egg (which some would say is a defect but I like it here), and a mild sour hop finish.

Mouthfeel (3.5) : Light, airy, crisp. Ends semi-dry with hop character.

Overall (3.68) : If I lived in Canada and I had no alternative lager like Rolling Rock, Old Style, Hauenstein, or Coors, I'd grab this in a heartbeat. It competes well with all of those brands which are my favorite lagers. It's flavorful, sweet, toasty, and has a bit of hop character. Not ashamed to drink this one.

3.69/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Molson Canadian
12 oz. brown glass bottle

I'm surprised that Molson Canadian gets such bad scores on BA. Compared to Budweiser I'd have it every day, not that Bud is bad (they're both solid beers) but I prefer the Molson as it's got a little more bite to it. I find Molson Golden a little bit below average because it's kind of dull all around, but Molson Canadian has a nice malt to it, some decent herbal and grassy hops, albeit it limited, and a nice balance of crisp carbonation and firm bitterness. It's always clean, and it's refreshing.

2.25/5  rDev -22.4%

Since I leave in Canada I had to try a molson Canadian.
The look of it is really light. You have that yellow golden color. You can see trough the glasse.
The smell remind me of the Molson Dry. So I was a bit worried about it since I hate the Molson Dry.
The taste of it is corny taste. Really watery remind me of the Coors Light for a bit and then of the after taste you have that punch of corn. It last for 4 or 5 seconds then disappear. It is not enjoyable at all. This beer is between a Molson dry and a Molson Export.
So overall would I recommend it ? NO. If you wanna drink Molson go crab Coors Light or Molson Export but not this one. If you choosing between a Budweiser or a Molson Canadian go get a Budweiser. Overall I am disapointed about that beer still have 19 cans to finish. Damn it's gonna be hard

2.75/5  rDev -5.2%

Appearance - Clear and yellowish appearance. Pours thin head that disappears very quickly.

Aroma - Sweet and malty smell. Not much else. Nice for what it is though.

Mouthfeel - Prickly feel right away from the relatively strong carbonation. Leaves a little sticky feeling. Smooth though, very drinkable.

Flavor - Sweet, malty taste with hints of corn. Metallic aftertaste with a hint of sweetness.

Overall - Honestly it is what it is. It doesn't taste great but it'll get you there. I call this and beers like it 45's after the old Colt 45 slogan "Works every time". It has a high enough ABV and is cheap enough that it will do its job without tasting like Keystone or god forbid Natural Light. So it's good for what it is, but if you actually want to drink beer for beers sake it really isn't worth it.

2.77/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Bottle sampled at an Edmonton Alberta restaurant. One of those "get around to it eventually" ticks/reviews and now is eventually. Obviously a top seller across this country although never as big as a few other brands in my neck of the woods, this probably does not deserve to be the standard-bearer for John Molson's rich brewing legacy but nevertheless does manage to deliver more flavor than many of its contemporaries in macro-lager land. Thin and super fizzy as expected but does have an almost buttery rounded grain sweetness that comes off better than in many other takes on this style, less DMS (albeit this is still present), and even a very faint fruitiness that recalls apple and grape hard candy. Dryish metallic grainy finish. You have to focus to taste much but what's there is less rancid than expected. Workmanlike lawn mower beer and has a place at pizza parties post-moving. Not recommended for tasting except as an example of a decent Canadian macro-brew for comparison purposes.

3.62/5  rDev +24.8%

Let me start by saying that I am not a huge fan of this type of brew. I spent a lot of time drinking adjunct lagers when I first started drinking but that all changed when I discovered Guiness Draught. Nevertheless, I was interested to see how Molson crafted one because I knew that it was one of the more popular Canadian brews. I was quite pleasantly surprised.

Molson's lager had the typical American lager look and mouth feel - very light, both in color and weight in mouth. But, one thing it has over many of its competitors is flavor! Not only was it very light and refreshing, but it also contained a nicely balanced taste of graininess and light hop flavor. There is almost no bitterness, rather it opts to give the drinker a a lingering, slightly sweet flavor.

I'm glad I didn't overlook this beer. For me, this is one of best I've had in the style and quite a good choice for a refreshing, light beer while I watch the Wheel after a long day on the construction yard. By the Wheel, I mean Game of Thrones. And by construction yard, I mean class at college. But you get the idea.

3.5/5, would drink again

3.24/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: light golden hue with no haze and a strong effervescence. Head pours a finger of frothy white foam. Actually not bad, for the style.

Smell: sweetish malt with a touch of graininess and a hint of noble hops. Damn fine for a macro adjunct lager -- that is to say, it doesn't smell at all like corn or plastic.

Taste: lightly sweet with a bit of an adjuncty flavor to it. There's a little bit of noble hoppiness here, although almost no bitterness. As a beer -- meh. For the style -- possibly one of the best.

Mouthfeel: light body with a big carbonation and a surprising creaminess. Works for me.

Overall: I am shocked and astonished by how much I'm enjoying this beer. It's actually a decent quaff on its own, but for the style it's quite good indeed.

2.11/5  rDev -27.2%

Appearance: Straw coloured, looks very normal.

Smell: Mild, corny, a little hoppy, but not much going on.

Taste: Similar to smell. It tastes of hops and corn, but is very light and watery. A touch of sweetness and graininess, but the predominant impression one gets is watery. Again, not much going on.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, fresh mouthfeel.

Overall: I skipped the drinking because “wooo beer” phase and went straight to the drinking because “oh that looks interesting / damn that's tasty” phase, so I don't have much experience with beer of this sort. Clearly, I didn't miss out on much though, this is not something I would ever choose to drink. It's not horrible or anything, just very boring.

2.41/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Appearance: pours a 1" frothy white head that dissipates fairly quickly. Clear straw appearance with moderate carbonation streaming.
Aroma: some corn husks, mild toasted barley, water
Mouthfeel: light and watery with a dry finish.
Flavor: some sweetness from the corn and toasted barley. A very mild hop presence.
Overall: I find nothing offensive with this brew, but nothing exciting either.

3.1/5  rDev +6.9%

Just finished my first Molson. I decided to try because I grew up watching Hokey with my dad and visiting Epcot's (Disney World) Canada pavilion. I saw it being sold by the bottle at a store and decided it was worth a shot.

Conclusion:, It's your typical North American Marco larger. Not the best, but not a drain pour either. I would drink it again.

3.68/5  rDev +26.9%

Poured into my usual Coke glass. One inch head dissipates quickly. No lacing.

A - Nice straw color.

S - Not much to speak of. Faint corn and hops.

T - Very refreshing. Hops are there, but not over-powering. Finishes clean and dry.

M - Slight creaminess. Carbonation and hops give a proper "kick".

O - One of the best mid-priced beers. It's becoming one of my favorites.

2.48/5  rDev -14.5%

This is not a good beer. Without going nuts in describing this, it's basically standard crap lager. It tastes like carbonated cream corn with a nice metallic finish, just like if you cracked open a nice can of green giant creamed corn that you had sitting in your fridge (because you're a crazy person) and drank it down, but without the actual pieces of corn and béchamel sauce. But you get the idea. Don't buy this. Yuengling is better. This actually tastes exactly like PBR.

If you do make the unfortunate mistake of drinking this because your friend from Alaska swears by it, do yourself a favor and let it warm up a little bit. This actually improves this bottled dog vomit.

2.78/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Slightly above average. Typical macro lager.

Average at best. Mild. Corn.

Mild. Corn. Stale.

Slightly above average.

Smooth, easy drinking, fermented corn juice. There is too much corn adjunct in this beer. Not that pleasant to drink.

3.21/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a small pint glass: color is straw gold, head is thin, bright white and dissipates very quickly, some lacing of the head on the glass.

Smell is grainy, corn flavor prominent, maybe some other off, adjunct aromas noted.

Taste is also, grainy, corn prominent, touch of base malt is noticeable, flavor is not off putting and better than many adjunct lagers.

Mouthfeel is crisp, not overcarbonated as many of this style are, flavors linger on the tongue and some light feel on the cheek.

Overall, a better adjunct lager than many others out there, not overcarbonated which plays well with its flavor and drinkability.

3.51/5  rDev +21%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Had a truly outstanding appearance. Poured with brilliant clarity and the light color of straw gold. Plenty of bubbles making their way to the top to become part of a fat white head of foam that fell rocky and left lace to look at as I drank.

Nose is light sweet grain and sweet corn. Cooked corn but no vegetable scents. There is a sweet grass on this that is delightful and not harsh and a bit of husk from the grain. As this warms it develops an apple skin but nothing so loud as to be unpleasant. Very clean overall.

taste is sweet with light grains that are integrated well. The corn is sweet like corn on the cob. In the drink there is a touch of herbal and sweet grass that takes you to a pleasant faint hop bitter in the dry finish. The herbal is a touch more bitter in the drink than it is on the nose. In addition to the faint appleskin as it warms there is a touch of lemon citrus as this finishes.

The body is light and has only a mild slickness and there is taste from what you might call fresh water. It permeates the beer and makes it clean tasting and refreshing without adding any kind of flavor except that you will notice it. The mouthfeel is light to moderate.

Good beer that would pair well with picnic type foods in summer. Going fishing? Canoeing? Potato salad, hamburgers hot dogs and salty sandwiches like pastrami and ham would all fare well alongside this lightly sweet beer.

3.39/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This beer on tap, served sub zero is actually rather refreshing and enjoyable but still nothing to rave about. Mild hoppy taste that is grainy with a sweet aftertaste but it is more watery than anything else. A good beer to get on draft and to session with. The more you drink this the more tolerable it is. A good beer to have while at the bar eating wings and spending the night splitting a pitcher with friends. A perfect example of how marketing can sell a beer, despite what the commercials say, enjoying this beer does not make you Canadian.

3.19/5  rDev +10%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Serving Type: Standard Can poured into an Alexander Keiths Pint Glass

Picked up a 20 pack of Molson Canadian over the weekend for a price too low to resist jumping on. After drinking a couple of cans, I thought I would give my two-cents worth and review this beer based on the style rather than how I enjoyed it as a beer.

A- Molson Canadian pours the straw golden colour and the two finger quick-to-disappear head that is commonplace in the style. Nothing special here, just your standard for inexpensive North American Lagers.

S- What struck me when first smelling this is that, unlike Budweiser and similar lagers, you do not get a bomb of piss striking your olfactory senses in one punch! Although it is nothing to rave about by any means, what you get is a pleasant, sweet smelling hit of cereal grains. Nothing else comes to mind when smelling this lager.

T- Once again, Molson Canadian surprised me in a good way! Rather than being overwhelmingly corny and ricey, the taste, like the smell, is filled with cereal grains such as barley and wheat! The wheat is what really carries this beer to the finish; the finish, by the way, is incredibly clean and satisfying.

M- Although the body is light, it does not have soft drink like carbonation like many others of the style do which is quite pleasing. I would say the carbonation is medium to medium-high. Finish is quite crisp and refreshing.

O- This beer is nothing to phone home about but I do have to say that it is well worth the price that I paid for it. When comparing Molson to other beers of the style, it is definitely centrefield in my mind. If you are in the mood for a refreshing lager or a satisfying "lawnmower" beer, I recommend that you give Molson Canadian a try. If you happen to pay $20.99 plus tax for a 20 pack like I did, all the better! Cheers Bros.

3.9/5  rDev +34.5%

For a mass produced bottled beer, this is the one to drink as the flavor, smell and feel are far superior to any American high volume brewery. No preservatives, slight hops, malty aroma and taste, and important to me, it is not over carbonated (I think American beer, Miller, Bud, Coors, etc., is typically over carbonated to hide the corn favors - just my theory).
I poured a cold lager into a glass, nice 1-1,5 finger head with some lacing throughout the glass.
Overall, it is a good beer for a cold Minnesota day.

2.99/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours clear golden with sugar white suds for a head.

Smells of mild barley and corn adjunct.

Dry sweet barley malt and a mild dry non-bitter hop finish.

Light body with fizzy carbonation.

A so-so macro style lager, a notch better than our US counterparts like Bud and Miller. Probably closest to Coors, but less corn in the flavor which is a plus. Overall, not especially good, put pairs with food well enough and you can ignore it at least.

3.68/5  rDev +26.9%

Ok this is my go-to beer...even when I worked in the head-office of arch-enemy Labatt's...nothing to blow you away just one of the worlds very best Macrobrew lagers. I drink my beer lukewarm which is the real test of flavour. Canadian doesn't ever disappoint. It is THE exemplar of generic Canadian beer. Hoppier and punchier than any American offering but not bitter like a European brew. It's a crowd pleaser...not one to blow the socks off of an afficianado. But really if you are out in North America it is a safe call for a decent beer that is readily commercially available. Funny enough it is actually a premium brand in Canada with a premium pricetag. American beer is cheap as dirt here with a flavour to match. I still don't mind paying a little bit more for quality. Simple fact is there isn't much of a nose to any Canadian beer, I mean really if your wife has complained about how you smell so much like beer that she wants some then she is a special lady. Canadian beer has a certain standard amount of malty sweetness that is uncharacteristic of other beers worldwide, but it really adds to the drinkability factor. I am just more of a mass-appeal beer drinker than a niche-market microbrew kinda guy. But for the most part I notice that my everyday beers are still rated "good for a macro brew" by even the educated drinkers amongst us. I drink Canadian warm for christsake and would still reccommend it to anyone who will listen. I have had beers from all over the civilized world, it's comes down to personal taste. I personally like Canadian, Belgian, and Danish beer, in that order. That is just me though...

3.41/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: I haven't had this brew in quite some time so I figured I would pick up a six when I saw it in the case. At $5.99 you can't beat it. The label design is different than I remember and it does not resemble the one in the photo. There was also a freshness date stamped on the shoulder reading MAR 16 14. So, I was good to go!

Appearance - A clear yellow color with a medium carbonation, poured with a nice 10 mm head that had some decent retention. The beer left a very nice lacing in the glass. Not dissapointing at all.

Smell - American style adjunct lager but more of a floral aroma than Bud or Coors. Nothing offensive but nothing to brag about either.

Taste - Towards the sweet side with more of a malty flavor than hops, but they are evident. The aftertaste was surprisingly pleasant and left me wanting to try another.

Mouthfeel - Quite smooth and better than I expected. Somehow, I think they have really improved this beer since I've tried it last. It is refreshing.

Overall - I'd have to say I'm impressed with the quality of this beer now. Of course, I will need to continue to purchase one every so often to make sure the quality remains consistent. Only then will I be convinced. If you haven't tried one in a while, I recommend giving it another chance. Molson seems to have stepped up their game with this one and you may be pleasantly surprised as well.

2.05/5  rDev -29.3%

DATE TASTED: November 30, 2013... GLASSWARE: standard pilsner...OCCASION: Cavs take on the Rose-less Bulls-suddenly, a fair fight... APPEARANCE: surprise--golden!--with a thin, off-white head that offers few bubbles; no lacing of significance... AROMA: tinny, bready and rather nondescript... PALATE: thin, drinkable and unfilling--a bit gassy but also a tad more substantial than the standard adjunct...TASTE: beefy in the aftertaste; the 40 oz. malts underpin a drinkable, thin lager--not much else to profile...OVERALL: rather drinking this than other Coors products is not high praise, but as a Turkey-day offering beyond the standard lights, Molson held interest and please a few guests with its presence; overall, a slightly more substantial mouth rinser...

3.88/5  rDev +33.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

It's a Molson!! One of the best commercial beers in my unwanted opinion!! In the top 5 commercial / mainstream beers out there..This is a everyday drinker..Great beer for a mass produced brew dontcha know eh! The best part about this beer is it makes you wish it was hockey season!!

3.75/5  rDev +29.3%

Molson. I've had a million of these. Funny, in US this seems to be the most popular variant, while in Canada i feel Molson Export or even Molson Dry is the big money maker in recent years at least. At any rate this is a solid and pretty well selling beer anywhere in North America. Pours a solid golden color, smell is pretty unobtrusive if not entirely mindblowing. Tastes very crisp, with a kind of sweet finish rather than the dry stickiness I find with budweiser and its ilk. Not the best beer in the world, in regards to the style I prefer Sleeman's, but now that I no longer live in Canada I'll take what I can get. The definitive "B+" brew, Molson is a damn fine beer year round.

3.28/5  rDev +13.1%

This is one of the few beers (I've had draft, bottled, and canned) that is best canned. It's a great summer beer if you're looking to throw back with old friends and get wasted (lol). Cheap price, but decent brew. It is almost sweet. Lots of flavor and a bit of an aftertaste. All in all a beer I recommend.

Molson Canadian Lager from Molson Coors Canada