Molson Canadian Lager - Molson Coors Canada

Molson Coors Canada visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2001

Around the world, Canada is seen as a shining example of nature at its best. We have thousands of freshwater lakes and barley fields as far as the eye can see. That's what makes us so proud to brew Molson Canadian, our signature beer. Brewed without preservatives, from St. Johns to Vancouver, over 3000 Canadians have a hand in bringing Molson Canadian to their family, their friends, and their communities. The people who live here truly deserve a beer brewed with the best this land has to offer. That’s why we make sure our award winning lager is as clean, crisp and fresh as the incredible country it comes from.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Molson Canadian Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 485 | Hads: 1,588
3.24/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: light golden hue with no haze and a strong effervescence. Head pours a finger of frothy white foam. Actually not bad, for the style.

Smell: sweetish malt with a touch of graininess and a hint of noble hops. Damn fine for a macro adjunct lager -- that is to say, it doesn't smell at all like corn or plastic.

Taste: lightly sweet with a bit of an adjuncty flavor to it. There's a little bit of noble hoppiness here, although almost no bitterness. As a beer -- meh. For the style -- possibly one of the best.

Mouthfeel: light body with a big carbonation and a surprising creaminess. Works for me.

Overall: I am shocked and astonished by how much I'm enjoying this beer. It's actually a decent quaff on its own, but for the style it's quite good indeed. (810 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -28.2%

Appearance: Straw coloured, looks very normal.

Smell: Mild, corny, a little hoppy, but not much going on.

Taste: Similar to smell. It tastes of hops and corn, but is very light and watery. A touch of sweetness and graininess, but the predominant impression one gets is watery. Again, not much going on.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, fresh mouthfeel.

Overall: I skipped the drinking because “wooo beer” phase and went straight to the drinking because “oh that looks interesting / damn that's tasty” phase, so I don't have much experience with beer of this sort. Clearly, I didn't miss out on much though, this is not something I would ever choose to drink. It's not horrible or anything, just very boring. (704 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -18%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Appearance: pours a 1" frothy white head that dissipates fairly quickly. Clear straw appearance with moderate carbonation streaming.
Aroma: some corn husks, mild toasted barley, water
Mouthfeel: light and watery with a dry finish.
Flavor: some sweetness from the corn and toasted barley. A very mild hop presence.
Overall: I find nothing offensive with this brew, but nothing exciting either. (396 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +5.4%

Just finished my first Molson. I decided to try because I grew up watching Hokey with my dad and visiting Epcot's (Disney World) Canada pavilion. I saw it being sold by the bottle at a store and decided it was worth a shot.

Conclusion:, It's your typical North American Marco larger. Not the best, but not a drain pour either. I would drink it again. (351 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +25.2%

Poured into my usual Coke glass. One inch head dissipates quickly. No lacing.

A - Nice straw color.

S - Not much to speak of. Faint corn and hops.

T - Very refreshing. Hops are there, but not over-powering. Finishes clean and dry.

M - Slight creaminess. Carbonation and hops give a proper "kick".

O - One of the best mid-priced beers. It's becoming one of my favorites. (375 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -15.6%

This is not a good beer. Without going nuts in describing this, it's basically standard crap lager. It tastes like carbonated cream corn with a nice metallic finish, just like if you cracked open a nice can of green giant creamed corn that you had sitting in your fridge (because you're a crazy person) and drank it down, but without the actual pieces of corn and béchamel sauce. But you get the idea. Don't buy this. Yuengling is better. This actually tastes exactly like PBR.

If you do make the unfortunate mistake of drinking this because your friend from Alaska swears by it, do yourself a favor and let it warm up a little bit. This actually improves this bottled dog vomit. (681 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance
Slightly above average. Typical macro lager.

Smell
Average at best. Mild. Corn.

Taste
Mild. Corn. Stale.

Mouthfeel
Slightly above average.

Overall
Smooth, easy drinking, fermented corn juice. There is too much corn adjunct in this beer. Not that pleasant to drink. (279 characters)

3.21/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a small pint glass: color is straw gold, head is thin, bright white and dissipates very quickly, some lacing of the head on the glass.

Smell is grainy, corn flavor prominent, maybe some other off, adjunct aromas noted.

Taste is also, grainy, corn prominent, touch of base malt is noticeable, flavor is not off putting and better than many adjunct lagers.

Mouthfeel is crisp, not overcarbonated as many of this style are, flavors linger on the tongue and some light feel on the cheek.

Overall, a better adjunct lager than many others out there, not overcarbonated which plays well with its flavor and drinkability. (629 characters)

3.51/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Had a truly outstanding appearance. Poured with brilliant clarity and the light color of straw gold. Plenty of bubbles making their way to the top to become part of a fat white head of foam that fell rocky and left lace to look at as I drank.

Nose is light sweet grain and sweet corn. Cooked corn but no vegetable scents. There is a sweet grass on this that is delightful and not harsh and a bit of husk from the grain. As this warms it develops an apple skin but nothing so loud as to be unpleasant. Very clean overall.

taste is sweet with light grains that are integrated well. The corn is sweet like corn on the cob. In the drink there is a touch of herbal and sweet grass that takes you to a pleasant faint hop bitter in the dry finish. The herbal is a touch more bitter in the drink than it is on the nose. In addition to the faint appleskin as it warms there is a touch of lemon citrus as this finishes.

The body is light and has only a mild slickness and there is taste from what you might call fresh water. It permeates the beer and makes it clean tasting and refreshing without adding any kind of flavor except that you will notice it. The mouthfeel is light to moderate.

Good beer that would pair well with picnic type foods in summer. Going fishing? Canoeing? Potato salad, hamburgers hot dogs and salty sandwiches like pastrami and ham would all fare well alongside this lightly sweet beer. (1,408 characters)

3.39/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This beer on tap, served sub zero is actually rather refreshing and enjoyable but still nothing to rave about. Mild hoppy taste that is grainy with a sweet aftertaste but it is more watery than anything else. A good beer to get on draft and to session with. The more you drink this the more tolerable it is. A good beer to have while at the bar eating wings and spending the night splitting a pitcher with friends. A perfect example of how marketing can sell a beer, despite what the commercials say, enjoying this beer does not make you Canadian. (547 characters)

3.19/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Serving Type: Standard Can poured into an Alexander Keiths Pint Glass

Picked up a 20 pack of Molson Canadian over the weekend for a price too low to resist jumping on. After drinking a couple of cans, I thought I would give my two-cents worth and review this beer based on the style rather than how I enjoyed it as a beer.

A- Molson Canadian pours the straw golden colour and the two finger quick-to-disappear head that is commonplace in the style. Nothing special here, just your standard for inexpensive North American Lagers.

S- What struck me when first smelling this is that, unlike Budweiser and similar lagers, you do not get a bomb of piss striking your olfactory senses in one punch! Although it is nothing to rave about by any means, what you get is a pleasant, sweet smelling hit of cereal grains. Nothing else comes to mind when smelling this lager.

T- Once again, Molson Canadian surprised me in a good way! Rather than being overwhelmingly corny and ricey, the taste, like the smell, is filled with cereal grains such as barley and wheat! The wheat is what really carries this beer to the finish; the finish, by the way, is incredibly clean and satisfying.

M- Although the body is light, it does not have soft drink like carbonation like many others of the style do which is quite pleasing. I would say the carbonation is medium to medium-high. Finish is quite crisp and refreshing.

O- This beer is nothing to phone home about but I do have to say that it is well worth the price that I paid for it. When comparing Molson to other beers of the style, it is definitely centrefield in my mind. If you are in the mood for a refreshing lager or a satisfying "lawnmower" beer, I recommend that you give Molson Canadian a try. If you happen to pay $20.99 plus tax for a 20 pack like I did, all the better! Cheers Bros. (1,836 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +32.7%

For a mass produced bottled beer, this is the one to drink as the flavor, smell and feel are far superior to any American high volume brewery. No preservatives, slight hops, malty aroma and taste, and important to me, it is not over carbonated (I think American beer, Miller, Bud, Coors, etc., is typically over carbonated to hide the corn favors - just my theory).
I poured a cold lager into a glass, nice 1-1,5 finger head with some lacing throughout the glass.
Overall, it is a good beer for a cold Minnesota day. (517 characters)

2.99/5  rDev +1.7%

tap

Pours clear golden with sugar white suds for a head.

Smells of mild barley and corn adjunct.

Dry sweet barley malt and a mild dry non-bitter hop finish.

Light body with fizzy carbonation.

A so-so macro style lager, a notch better than our US counterparts like Bud and Miller. Probably closest to Coors, but less corn in the flavor which is a plus. Overall, not especially good, put pairs with food well enough and you can ignore it at least. (451 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +25.2%

Ok this is my go-to beer...even when I worked in the head-office of arch-enemy Labatt's...nothing to blow you away just one of the worlds very best Macrobrew lagers. I drink my beer lukewarm which is the real test of flavour. Canadian doesn't ever disappoint. It is THE exemplar of generic Canadian beer. Hoppier and punchier than any American offering but not bitter like a European brew. It's a crowd pleaser...not one to blow the socks off of an afficianado. But really if you are out in North America it is a safe call for a decent beer that is readily commercially available. Funny enough it is actually a premium brand in Canada with a premium pricetag. American beer is cheap as dirt here with a flavour to match. I still don't mind paying a little bit more for quality. Simple fact is there isn't much of a nose to any Canadian beer, I mean really if your wife has complained about how you smell so much like beer that she wants some then she is a special lady. Canadian beer has a certain standard amount of malty sweetness that is uncharacteristic of other beers worldwide, but it really adds to the drinkability factor. I am just more of a mass-appeal beer drinker than a niche-market microbrew kinda guy. But for the most part I notice that my everyday beers are still rated "good for a macro brew" by even the educated drinkers amongst us. I drink Canadian warm for christsake and would still reccommend it to anyone who will listen. I have had beers from all over the civilized world, it's comes down to personal taste. I personally like Canadian, Belgian, and Danish beer, in that order. That is just me though... (1,628 characters)

3.41/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: I haven't had this brew in quite some time so I figured I would pick up a six when I saw it in the case. At $5.99 you can't beat it. The label design is different than I remember and it does not resemble the one in the photo. There was also a freshness date stamped on the shoulder reading MAR 16 14. So, I was good to go!

Appearance - A clear yellow color with a medium carbonation, poured with a nice 10 mm head that had some decent retention. The beer left a very nice lacing in the glass. Not dissapointing at all.

Smell - American style adjunct lager but more of a floral aroma than Bud or Coors. Nothing offensive but nothing to brag about either.

Taste - Towards the sweet side with more of a malty flavor than hops, but they are evident. The aftertaste was surprisingly pleasant and left me wanting to try another.

Mouthfeel - Quite smooth and better than I expected. Somehow, I think they have really improved this beer since I've tried it last. It is refreshing.

Overall - I'd have to say I'm impressed with the quality of this beer now. Of course, I will need to continue to purchase one every so often to make sure the quality remains consistent. Only then will I be convinced. If you haven't tried one in a while, I recommend giving it another chance. Molson seems to have stepped up their game with this one and you may be pleasantly surprised as well. (1,385 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -30.3%

DATE TASTED: November 30, 2013... GLASSWARE: standard pilsner...OCCASION: Cavs take on the Rose-less Bulls-suddenly, a fair fight... APPEARANCE: surprise--golden!--with a thin, off-white head that offers few bubbles; no lacing of significance... AROMA: tinny, bready and rather nondescript... PALATE: thin, drinkable and unfilling--a bit gassy but also a tad more substantial than the standard adjunct...TASTE: beefy in the aftertaste; the 40 oz. malts underpin a drinkable, thin lager--not much else to profile...OVERALL: rather drinking this than other Coors products is not high praise, but as a Turkey-day offering beyond the standard lights, Molson held interest and please a few guests with its presence; overall, a slightly more substantial mouth rinser... (763 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +32%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

It's a Molson!! One of the best commercial beers in my unwanted opinion!! In the top 5 commercial / mainstream beers out there..This is a everyday drinker..Great beer for a mass produced brew dontcha know eh! The best part about this beer is it makes you wish it was hockey season!! (282 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +27.6%

Molson. I've had a million of these. Funny, in US this seems to be the most popular variant, while in Canada i feel Molson Export or even Molson Dry is the big money maker in recent years at least. At any rate this is a solid and pretty well selling beer anywhere in North America. Pours a solid golden color, smell is pretty unobtrusive if not entirely mindblowing. Tastes very crisp, with a kind of sweet finish rather than the dry stickiness I find with budweiser and its ilk. Not the best beer in the world, in regards to the style I prefer Sleeman's, but now that I no longer live in Canada I'll take what I can get. The definitive "B+" brew, Molson is a damn fine beer year round. (686 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +11.6%

This is one of the few beers (I've had draft, bottled, and canned) that is best canned. It's a great summer beer if you're looking to throw back with old friends and get wasted (lol). Cheap price, but decent brew. It is almost sweet. Lots of flavor and a bit of an aftertaste. All in all a beer I recommend. (307 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -6.8%

24 oz can into a glass. Woo, 'Merica! Wait...

A: Pours a straw color. The three-finger white head actually has a bit of duration to it - a good duration, actually. There's even some spotty lacing left on the glass. For a macro lager, this looks damn good.

S: The aroma is generally pretty corny, with some lime sweetness. Not as bad as, say, Budweiser.

T: It starts with a notable presence of cereal grains. Aside from a subtle fruit ester quality and the faintest twinge of hops on the aftertaste, there isn't a whole lot of flavor. The best feature isn't that it's great, because it clearly isn't, but that the bad elements of the style are restrained acceptably.

M: It feels sweet and even a bit slimy on the palate. However, if there's a positive trade-off, it's that the raging carbonation ever-so-prevalent in the style is dialed back well. Very easy to drink, but I wish it was drier - the sweetness is a bit cloying to me.

O: I've had FAR worse macro lagers than this. And I've even had worse craft beers than this, too. This is perfectly okay, if not exactly good. I can now see where some of you Canadians are coming from - this blows our BMC out of the water. Hell, I'd even drink this again. (1,208 characters)

3.39/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Drank from a 12 fl. oz. (355ml) bottle purchased at Downtown Wine & Spirits, Somerville, MA
Served in a pint glass

Crystal clear brassy yellow. A creamy, bright white, one-finger head topped the liquid, but it quickly fell. Small drops of lacing trickled down the glass.

Dry, crisp, lager yeast notes dominated the aroma. Grainy, slightly toasty malts were also noticeable. Some candy-like sweetness. There was a slight grassy and earthy hop presence as well. Overall, pretty decent.

The flavor profile was fairly similar to the aroma. It started out well with lots of husky, grainy malts. Slightly sweet. Tart, wheaty and somewhat lemony in the center. The finish was crisp, dry and semi-bitter with hints of earthy hops. The adjunct notes that would eventually round things out made the beer a bit off putting however.

The mouthfeel was quite notable for the style. Medium bodied. Creamy, slick and smooth on the palate with a fine and zippy carbonation.

Like just about all American adjunct lagers, Molson Canadian failed to blow me away. For the style, however, this beer was pretty solid. (1,098 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -7.8%

Finally doing a full review for an old standby. Probably one of the first beers many Canadians tried growing up. Purchased 473 ml can for $2.40 CDN. Served cold into a glass.

Appearance - pale yellows piss coloured beer. A finger and a bit of white head, but minimal retention time. Crystal clear and surprisingly few bubbles are present. Abut of lacing.

Smell - light general grainy aroma, not much else. Slight adjunct metallic smell.

Taste - bland, a bit of adjunct sweetness. Not much else.

Mouthfeel - low carbonation, dry feel, relatively light body.

Overall - very surprised with the very low carbonation, it's not a good beer, but it does it's job well, quenching your thirst that is. Inoffensive and better than others in the style, but really just non- descript. (777 characters)

3.11/5  rDev +5.8%

Serving glass: Drank straight from the can. I really shouldn't review this, but I had it for a few days in a row while fishing and think that is good enough.

Appearance: Well, it is a fine looking can. But the beer inside looked a little richer than most Adjunct Lagers.

Smell: Not really sure. Next!

Taste: Tastes like a macro lager, but a relatively full flavored one. Some light hops at the finish, with an aftertaste that is both decent and distracting.

Feel: High carbonation, light to medium body. I wish the finish was dryer.

Overall: Good fishing beer. (565 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

For any Americans reading this, believe it or not, this is not the most popular beer in Canada. At least in my locale: Bud and Kokanee are the top two. Even Coors Light is ahead of
Canadian, which battles for fourth spot with Bud Light probably.

Regardless, this was the first beer I had, and I am sure it is the first beer of many Canadians - the advertising really did its work here and now this beer is a national symbol, at least to some people.

But the beer itself is okay - it`s got a lot of corny taste but some nice wheat notes as well. The flavour is pretty potent for a beer of its type, but not terribly offensive either. At the end of the day, this is the typical swill that Canadians who are not desparate enough to buy Lucky Lager will get - if it`s on sale. (775 characters)

1.48/5  rDev -49.7%

It's not a bad beer. I have been spoiled by the micro beers both in Seattle and western Canada. That being said, this beer is solid for what it is. Pretty similar to most domestics in the US. Smooth and drinkable. A very good choice for a
Cheap beer. (250 characters)

Molson Canadian Lager from Molson Coors Canada