Join our email list →

Molson Coors Canada
Ontario, Canada | website

American Adjunct Lager | 5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2001

Around the world, Canada is seen as a shining example of nature at its best. We have thousands of freshwater lakes and barley fields as far as the eye can see. That's what makes us so proud to brew Molson Canadian, our signature beer. Brewed without preservatives, from St. Johns to Vancouver, over 3000 Canadians have a hand in bringing Molson Canadian to their family, their friends, and their communities. The people who live here truly deserve a beer brewed with the best this land has to offer. That’s why we make sure our award winning lager is as clean, crisp and fresh as the incredible country it comes from.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Molson Canadian Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 503 | Hads: 1,667

I drank this in a bottle of 330 ml. The beer is easy to drink. As a lager, Molson Canadian has no sweetness. It tastes like hops and barley that have been lightened. As a result of that, it leaves you under the impression that you are eating a fruit that is neither bitter nor naturally sweet. It's somewhere between these two extremities. Do not expect any complexity in the taste. Overall, Molson Canadian is a decent beer I drank when I was introduced to beer in general.

1.73/5  rDev -40.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

I used to live this stuff a long time ago but aroma is of corn and virtually no flavor. Not bad on a hot day after working outside and perhaps slightly better than other adjunct lagers.

4.18/5  rDev +44.6%

Better than Budweiser. And every time I partake in drinking this fine Canadian offering,I have a yearning to watch "Slapshot". What's not to like about this beer?

3.54/5  rDev +22.5%

FOR WHAT IT IS, it's phenominal

if you want a cheap, easy to go down beer that you can put several down with the boys then this is by far the best tasting option.

it goes down smooth. actually tastes like a lager somewhat. and it's very refreshing

when i'm not in the mood to make my stomach feel bloated but want a beer, this is a solid go-to. just wish it was more available in the states since it's miles ahead of any macro we have.

2.21/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Standard fair bland lager...great when it's very hot when u are at the beach..light crisp goes flat quickly not as bad as most mass produced soulless beer

2.08/5  rDev -28%

Compared to other AAL's, this isn't horrible. Little sweet with a kick of carbonated water on the finish. This is the ceremonial first week of hockey and first week of Stanley Cup playoffs beer for me. Just seems right, and once they are cold enough they go down pretty easily.

3.25/5  rDev +12.5%

Clean tasty Canadian Lager as similar to American Lagers in its own way. Hard to tell from Labatts or Moosehead. Very malty with no detectable hop flavor. I guess you would cal it well balanced but a beer like Samuel Adams Boston Lager is much bolder and has a good deal more flavor. Recommended for Bud or Miller drinkers in search of slightly more flavor. No bad attributes just a bit average.

1.55/5  rDev -46.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

The fact that Molson Canadian has traditionally equated itself with images of pristine nature is sheer irony; the beer is no more natural than a Twinkie. Sure, this sparkling, clear yellow lager and its bleach white head no doubt looks immaculate but, make no mistake, it's chock full of adjuncts.

Canadians are no strangers to referendums, and I'd bet if we were to have one on the question of whether or not this aroma is offensive, the 'yes' vote would prevail. I've suddenly developed a fear of drowning in a silo of high fructose corn syrup - this would be the last thing I smelled.

It's been confirmed - this is about as bad as it gets. Molson Canadian may suit ants or hummingbirds, but this incredibly, artificially sweetened flavour profile doesn't jive with my tastes. It's like fizzy sugar water, and that sugariness is the only thing keeping it from tasting as foul as it smells. How much of this can is just corn syrup? It's a very fair question.

Let me be clear: there is nothing to this beer beyond the marketing claptrap. It has no real character or content (other than the corn syrup) and is so bland as to barely even resemble a lager. And this is not a slight against mass-produced beer - to be able to regularly offer something that is reliable, consistent, and palatable is, in many ways, brewing at its best...

But this just drinks like bready vodka. Molson Canadian is our national shame. I've always been found of saying that 'no beer is perfect in every occasion, but every beer is perfect for some occasion' and Molson Canadian is suitable to only the most desperate, last-ditch circumstances. This regrettable lager is criminally overvalued. Those that drink this live sad lives indeed...

2.75/5  rDev -4.8%

This is one of the better macro lagers. It is crisp, but is limited on taste but at least there is a hint of taste unlike other mass produced beer. For those with allergies to some of the preservatives commonly found in macro beers....this beer has no preservatives. This beer is best to drink while watching hockey. I have no idea why this is the case, it just is.

3.27/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

All things considered, this is alright for an adjunct lager. It has a bit of a malty nose, toasty taste, and a boozy-ish finish. Not something I would buy to drink at home, but it is definitely a great beer to have at a hockey game, bar, etc...

2.75/5  rDev -4.8%

This is very crisp, very clean in its feel and flavor and actually tops Molson Canadian, despite it being an adjunct. The adjuncts are not obvious and flavor tends to a more Pilsner malt. The corn seems absent, the rice more for smoothness. The flavor is crackery malt with and easy dry crispness.

Pours clear, light golden color. A thin, course head that dissipates completely in a matter of seconds. No lacing. A sweet aroma and citrusy flavor. Clean finish, almost no aftertaste. A very refreshing brew, even though it lacks character.

Served very cold in a pint glass.
Appearance: Straw colour with a reasonable head and some lacing.
Smell: Rice and yeast are most prominent. Slightly astringent (and no, it was not skunked).
Taste: Has a corn sweetness to it. Rice and yeast are also present, as is a definite astringent flavour. Very slight bitterness on finish. Moderate body.
Overall: A poor beer. It is drinkable if you get it really cold, but if it heats up at all I toss it. Way too much corn and rice, but the real kicker is the astringent flavour that is always present.

3.68/5  rDev +27.3%

O Canada!

Maple Leaf Victory. Hopefully.

Appearance (3.5) : A fuzzy, creamy white cap, about 2 fingers tall. Body is a typical straw american adjunct lager color. Transparent.

Aroma (3.75) : Crisp, clean rice, corn, and barley. Light citrus hop behind it. Cleaner than most other lagers I've nosed.

Taste (3.75) : Carbonation hits first with a robust, malty character and a good flavor profile. There's roasted corn, toasted barley, a little bit of hard boiled egg (which some would say is a defect but I like it here), and a mild sour hop finish.

Mouthfeel (3.5) : Light, airy, crisp. Ends semi-dry with hop character.

Overall (3.68) : If I lived in Canada and I had no alternative lager like Rolling Rock, Old Style, Hauenstein, or Coors, I'd grab this in a heartbeat. It competes well with all of those brands which are my favorite lagers. It's flavorful, sweet, toasty, and has a bit of hop character. Not ashamed to drink this one.

3.69/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Molson Canadian
12 oz. brown glass bottle

I'm surprised that Molson Canadian gets such bad scores on BA. Compared to Budweiser I'd have it every day, not that Bud is bad (they're both solid beers) but I prefer the Molson as it's got a little more bite to it. I find Molson Golden a little bit below average because it's kind of dull all around, but Molson Canadian has a nice malt to it, some decent herbal and grassy hops, albeit it limited, and a nice balance of crisp carbonation and firm bitterness. It's always clean, and it's refreshing.

2.25/5  rDev -22.1%

Since I leave in Canada I had to try a molson Canadian.
The look of it is really light. You have that yellow golden color. You can see trough the glasse.
The smell remind me of the Molson Dry. So I was a bit worried about it since I hate the Molson Dry.
The taste of it is corny taste. Really watery remind me of the Coors Light for a bit and then of the after taste you have that punch of corn. It last for 4 or 5 seconds then disappear. It is not enjoyable at all. This beer is between a Molson dry and a Molson Export.
So overall would I recommend it ? NO. If you wanna drink Molson go crab Coors Light or Molson Export but not this one. If you choosing between a Budweiser or a Molson Canadian go get a Budweiser. Overall I am disapointed about that beer still have 19 cans to finish. Damn it's gonna be hard

2.75/5  rDev -4.8%

Appearance - Clear and yellowish appearance. Pours thin head that disappears very quickly.

Aroma - Sweet and malty smell. Not much else. Nice for what it is though.

Mouthfeel - Prickly feel right away from the relatively strong carbonation. Leaves a little sticky feeling. Smooth though, very drinkable.

Flavor - Sweet, malty taste with hints of corn. Metallic aftertaste with a hint of sweetness.

Overall - Honestly it is what it is. It doesn't taste great but it'll get you there. I call this and beers like it 45's after the old Colt 45 slogan "Works every time". It has a high enough ABV and is cheap enough that it will do its job without tasting like Keystone or god forbid Natural Light. So it's good for what it is, but if you actually want to drink beer for beers sake it really isn't worth it.

2.77/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Bottle sampled at an Edmonton Alberta restaurant. One of those "get around to it eventually" ticks/reviews and now is eventually. Obviously a top seller across this country although never as big as a few other brands in my neck of the woods, this probably does not deserve to be the standard-bearer for John Molson's rich brewing legacy but nevertheless does manage to deliver more flavor than many of its contemporaries in macro-lager land. Thin and super fizzy as expected but does have an almost buttery rounded grain sweetness that comes off better than in many other takes on this style, less DMS (albeit this is still present), and even a very faint fruitiness that recalls apple and grape hard candy. Dryish metallic grainy finish. You have to focus to taste much but what's there is less rancid than expected. Workmanlike lawn mower beer and has a place at pizza parties post-moving. Not recommended for tasting except as an example of a decent Canadian macro-brew for comparison purposes.

3.62/5  rDev +25.3%

Let me start by saying that I am not a huge fan of this type of brew. I spent a lot of time drinking adjunct lagers when I first started drinking but that all changed when I discovered Guiness Draught. Nevertheless, I was interested to see how Molson crafted one because I knew that it was one of the more popular Canadian brews. I was quite pleasantly surprised.

Molson's lager had the typical American lager look and mouth feel - very light, both in color and weight in mouth. But, one thing it has over many of its competitors is flavor! Not only was it very light and refreshing, but it also contained a nicely balanced taste of graininess and light hop flavor. There is almost no bitterness, rather it opts to give the drinker a a lingering, slightly sweet flavor.

I'm glad I didn't overlook this beer. For me, this is one of best I've had in the style and quite a good choice for a refreshing, light beer while I watch the Wheel after a long day on the construction yard. By the Wheel, I mean Game of Thrones. And by construction yard, I mean class at college. But you get the idea.

3.5/5, would drink again

3.24/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: light golden hue with no haze and a strong effervescence. Head pours a finger of frothy white foam. Actually not bad, for the style.

Smell: sweetish malt with a touch of graininess and a hint of noble hops. Damn fine for a macro adjunct lager -- that is to say, it doesn't smell at all like corn or plastic.

Taste: lightly sweet with a bit of an adjuncty flavor to it. There's a little bit of noble hoppiness here, although almost no bitterness. As a beer -- meh. For the style -- possibly one of the best.

Mouthfeel: light body with a big carbonation and a surprising creaminess. Works for me.

Overall: I am shocked and astonished by how much I'm enjoying this beer. It's actually a decent quaff on its own, but for the style it's quite good indeed.

2.11/5  rDev -27%

Appearance: Straw coloured, looks very normal.

Smell: Mild, corny, a little hoppy, but not much going on.

Taste: Similar to smell. It tastes of hops and corn, but is very light and watery. A touch of sweetness and graininess, but the predominant impression one gets is watery. Again, not much going on.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, fresh mouthfeel.

Overall: I skipped the drinking because “wooo beer” phase and went straight to the drinking because “oh that looks interesting / damn that's tasty” phase, so I don't have much experience with beer of this sort. Clearly, I didn't miss out on much though, this is not something I would ever choose to drink. It's not horrible or anything, just very boring.

2.41/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Appearance: pours a 1" frothy white head that dissipates fairly quickly. Clear straw appearance with moderate carbonation streaming.
Aroma: some corn husks, mild toasted barley, water
Mouthfeel: light and watery with a dry finish.
Flavor: some sweetness from the corn and toasted barley. A very mild hop presence.
Overall: I find nothing offensive with this brew, but nothing exciting either.

3.1/5  rDev +7.3%

Just finished my first Molson. I decided to try because I grew up watching Hokey with my dad and visiting Epcot's (Disney World) Canada pavilion. I saw it being sold by the bottle at a store and decided it was worth a shot.

Conclusion:, It's your typical North American Marco larger. Not the best, but not a drain pour either. I would drink it again.

3.68/5  rDev +27.3%

Poured into my usual Coke glass. One inch head dissipates quickly. No lacing.

A - Nice straw color.

S - Not much to speak of. Faint corn and hops.

T - Very refreshing. Hops are there, but not over-powering. Finishes clean and dry.

M - Slight creaminess. Carbonation and hops give a proper "kick".

O - One of the best mid-priced beers. It's becoming one of my favorites.

2.48/5  rDev -14.2%

This is not a good beer. Without going nuts in describing this, it's basically standard crap lager. It tastes like carbonated cream corn with a nice metallic finish, just like if you cracked open a nice can of green giant creamed corn that you had sitting in your fridge (because you're a crazy person) and drank it down, but without the actual pieces of corn and béchamel sauce. But you get the idea. Don't buy this. Yuengling is better. This actually tastes exactly like PBR.

If you do make the unfortunate mistake of drinking this because your friend from Alaska swears by it, do yourself a favor and let it warm up a little bit. This actually improves this bottled dog vomit.

Molson Canadian Lager from Molson Coors Canada