Molson Canadian Lager - Molson Coors Canada

Molson Coors Canada visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2001

Around the world, Canada is seen as a shining example of nature at its best. We have thousands of freshwater lakes and barley fields as far as the eye can see. That's what makes us so proud to brew Molson Canadian, our signature beer. Brewed without preservatives, from St. Johns to Vancouver, over 3000 Canadians have a hand in bringing Molson Canadian to their family, their friends, and their communities. The people who live here truly deserve a beer brewed with the best this land has to offer. That’s why we make sure our award winning lager is as clean, crisp and fresh as the incredible country it comes from.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Molson Canadian Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 498 | Hads: 1,639
3.9/5  rDev +34.9%

For a mass produced bottled beer, this is the one to drink as the flavor, smell and feel are far superior to any American high volume brewery. No preservatives, slight hops, malty aroma and taste, and important to me, it is not over carbonated (I think American beer, Miller, Bud, Coors, etc., is typically over carbonated to hide the corn favors - just my theory).
I poured a cold lager into a glass, nice 1-1,5 finger head with some lacing throughout the glass.
Overall, it is a good beer for a cold Minnesota day.

2.99/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours clear golden with sugar white suds for a head.

Smells of mild barley and corn adjunct.

Dry sweet barley malt and a mild dry non-bitter hop finish.

Light body with fizzy carbonation.

A so-so macro style lager, a notch better than our US counterparts like Bud and Miller. Probably closest to Coors, but less corn in the flavor which is a plus. Overall, not especially good, put pairs with food well enough and you can ignore it at least.

3.68/5  rDev +27.3%

Ok this is my go-to beer...even when I worked in the head-office of arch-enemy Labatt's...nothing to blow you away just one of the worlds very best Macrobrew lagers. I drink my beer lukewarm which is the real test of flavour. Canadian doesn't ever disappoint. It is THE exemplar of generic Canadian beer. Hoppier and punchier than any American offering but not bitter like a European brew. It's a crowd pleaser...not one to blow the socks off of an afficianado. But really if you are out in North America it is a safe call for a decent beer that is readily commercially available. Funny enough it is actually a premium brand in Canada with a premium pricetag. American beer is cheap as dirt here with a flavour to match. I still don't mind paying a little bit more for quality. Simple fact is there isn't much of a nose to any Canadian beer, I mean really if your wife has complained about how you smell so much like beer that she wants some then she is a special lady. Canadian beer has a certain standard amount of malty sweetness that is uncharacteristic of other beers worldwide, but it really adds to the drinkability factor. I am just more of a mass-appeal beer drinker than a niche-market microbrew kinda guy. But for the most part I notice that my everyday beers are still rated "good for a macro brew" by even the educated drinkers amongst us. I drink Canadian warm for christsake and would still reccommend it to anyone who will listen. I have had beers from all over the civilized world, it's comes down to personal taste. I personally like Canadian, Belgian, and Danish beer, in that order. That is just me though...

3.41/5  rDev +18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: I haven't had this brew in quite some time so I figured I would pick up a six when I saw it in the case. At $5.99 you can't beat it. The label design is different than I remember and it does not resemble the one in the photo. There was also a freshness date stamped on the shoulder reading MAR 16 14. So, I was good to go!

Appearance - A clear yellow color with a medium carbonation, poured with a nice 10 mm head that had some decent retention. The beer left a very nice lacing in the glass. Not dissapointing at all.

Smell - American style adjunct lager but more of a floral aroma than Bud or Coors. Nothing offensive but nothing to brag about either.

Taste - Towards the sweet side with more of a malty flavor than hops, but they are evident. The aftertaste was surprisingly pleasant and left me wanting to try another.

Mouthfeel - Quite smooth and better than I expected. Somehow, I think they have really improved this beer since I've tried it last. It is refreshing.

Overall - I'd have to say I'm impressed with the quality of this beer now. Of course, I will need to continue to purchase one every so often to make sure the quality remains consistent. Only then will I be convinced. If you haven't tried one in a while, I recommend giving it another chance. Molson seems to have stepped up their game with this one and you may be pleasantly surprised as well.

2.05/5  rDev -29.1%

DATE TASTED: November 30, 2013... GLASSWARE: standard pilsner...OCCASION: Cavs take on the Rose-less Bulls-suddenly, a fair fight... APPEARANCE: surprise--golden!--with a thin, off-white head that offers few bubbles; no lacing of significance... AROMA: tinny, bready and rather nondescript... PALATE: thin, drinkable and unfilling--a bit gassy but also a tad more substantial than the standard adjunct...TASTE: beefy in the aftertaste; the 40 oz. malts underpin a drinkable, thin lager--not much else to profile...OVERALL: rather drinking this than other Coors products is not high praise, but as a Turkey-day offering beyond the standard lights, Molson held interest and please a few guests with its presence; overall, a slightly more substantial mouth rinser...

3.88/5  rDev +34.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

It's a Molson!! One of the best commercial beers in my unwanted opinion!! In the top 5 commercial / mainstream beers out there..This is a everyday drinker..Great beer for a mass produced brew dontcha know eh! The best part about this beer is it makes you wish it was hockey season!!

3.75/5  rDev +29.8%

Molson. I've had a million of these. Funny, in US this seems to be the most popular variant, while in Canada i feel Molson Export or even Molson Dry is the big money maker in recent years at least. At any rate this is a solid and pretty well selling beer anywhere in North America. Pours a solid golden color, smell is pretty unobtrusive if not entirely mindblowing. Tastes very crisp, with a kind of sweet finish rather than the dry stickiness I find with budweiser and its ilk. Not the best beer in the world, in regards to the style I prefer Sleeman's, but now that I no longer live in Canada I'll take what I can get. The definitive "B+" brew, Molson is a damn fine beer year round.

3.28/5  rDev +13.5%

This is one of the few beers (I've had draft, bottled, and canned) that is best canned. It's a great summer beer if you're looking to throw back with old friends and get wasted (lol). Cheap price, but decent brew. It is almost sweet. Lots of flavor and a bit of an aftertaste. All in all a beer I recommend.

2.74/5  rDev -5.2%

24 oz can into a glass. Woo, 'Merica! Wait...

A: Pours a straw color. The three-finger white head actually has a bit of duration to it - a good duration, actually. There's even some spotty lacing left on the glass. For a macro lager, this looks damn good.

S: The aroma is generally pretty corny, with some lime sweetness. Not as bad as, say, Budweiser.

T: It starts with a notable presence of cereal grains. Aside from a subtle fruit ester quality and the faintest twinge of hops on the aftertaste, there isn't a whole lot of flavor. The best feature isn't that it's great, because it clearly isn't, but that the bad elements of the style are restrained acceptably.

M: It feels sweet and even a bit slimy on the palate. However, if there's a positive trade-off, it's that the raging carbonation ever-so-prevalent in the style is dialed back well. Very easy to drink, but I wish it was drier - the sweetness is a bit cloying to me.

O: I've had FAR worse macro lagers than this. And I've even had worse craft beers than this, too. This is perfectly okay, if not exactly good. I can now see where some of you Canadians are coming from - this blows our BMC out of the water. Hell, I'd even drink this again.

3.39/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Drank from a 12 fl. oz. (355ml) bottle purchased at Downtown Wine & Spirits, Somerville, MA
Served in a pint glass

Crystal clear brassy yellow. A creamy, bright white, one-finger head topped the liquid, but it quickly fell. Small drops of lacing trickled down the glass.

Dry, crisp, lager yeast notes dominated the aroma. Grainy, slightly toasty malts were also noticeable. Some candy-like sweetness. There was a slight grassy and earthy hop presence as well. Overall, pretty decent.

The flavor profile was fairly similar to the aroma. It started out well with lots of husky, grainy malts. Slightly sweet. Tart, wheaty and somewhat lemony in the center. The finish was crisp, dry and semi-bitter with hints of earthy hops. The adjunct notes that would eventually round things out made the beer a bit off putting however.

The mouthfeel was quite notable for the style. Medium bodied. Creamy, slick and smooth on the palate with a fine and zippy carbonation.

Like just about all American adjunct lagers, Molson Canadian failed to blow me away. For the style, however, this beer was pretty solid.

2.71/5  rDev -6.2%

Finally doing a full review for an old standby. Probably one of the first beers many Canadians tried growing up. Purchased 473 ml can for $2.40 CDN. Served cold into a glass.

Appearance - pale yellows piss coloured beer. A finger and a bit of white head, but minimal retention time. Crystal clear and surprisingly few bubbles are present. Abut of lacing.

Smell - light general grainy aroma, not much else. Slight adjunct metallic smell.

Taste - bland, a bit of adjunct sweetness. Not much else.

Mouthfeel - low carbonation, dry feel, relatively light body.

Overall - very surprised with the very low carbonation, it's not a good beer, but it does it's job well, quenching your thirst that is. Inoffensive and better than others in the style, but really just non- descript.

3.11/5  rDev +7.6%

Serving glass: Drank straight from the can. I really shouldn't review this, but I had it for a few days in a row while fishing and think that is good enough.

Appearance: Well, it is a fine looking can. But the beer inside looked a little richer than most Adjunct Lagers.

Smell: Not really sure. Next!

Taste: Tastes like a macro lager, but a relatively full flavored one. Some light hops at the finish, with an aftertaste that is both decent and distracting.

Feel: High carbonation, light to medium body. I wish the finish was dryer.

Overall: Good fishing beer.

2.84/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

For any Americans reading this, believe it or not, this is not the most popular beer in Canada. At least in my locale: Bud and Kokanee are the top two. Even Coors Light is ahead of
Canadian, which battles for fourth spot with Bud Light probably.

Regardless, this was the first beer I had, and I am sure it is the first beer of many Canadians - the advertising really did its work here and now this beer is a national symbol, at least to some people.

But the beer itself is okay - it`s got a lot of corny taste but some nice wheat notes as well. The flavour is pretty potent for a beer of its type, but not terribly offensive either. At the end of the day, this is the typical swill that Canadians who are not desparate enough to buy Lucky Lager will get - if it`s on sale.

1.48/5  rDev -48.8%

It's not a bad beer. I have been spoiled by the micro beers both in Seattle and western Canada. That being said, this beer is solid for what it is. Pretty similar to most domestics in the US. Smooth and drinkable. A very good choice for a
Cheap beer.

3.24/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Serving type: molson pint glass from a bottle

A: Yellow/gold color.
S: light, below average smell. Smell the barley. I expect that from a cheap beer

T: Like the taste I think that this is an above average taste for a cheap beer. Strong taste, but nothing complex. I only really tasted barley and a barley after taste.

M: Strong carbonation, too much

Purchased at: Mejiers in Canton, MI

2.96/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

A-gold with a thin white head

S-cheap corn. Very faint. Very adjunct lager smelling.

T-comes in with a light and crisp flavor of corn. Other than that, flavorless.

M-medium and creamy.

O-it doesn't taste bad. It's just completely boring. It is very drinkable of course. Yuengling would've been the better choice.

1.14/5  rDev -60.6%

How this beer has gained the popularity of the vast Canadian population puzzles me. It also is a strong indicator that the vast population has very low standards for quality of beer and quality of taste. This is one of the worst beers I have tasted. The appearance is typical of mass produced lagers, golden yellow color. The smell is terrible, perhaps even a stale smell. The taste is equally as poor as the smell. My first thoughts are that this is a very cheap beer. The after taste reinforces the cheap impression. Not fragrant, and nor it is calling me to take additional sips, let alone drink it. Unfortunately, when you are at any public even in Canada, you choices are extremely limited, and all of which do not allow you to get a descent beer. Everything served is mass produced swill. The carbonation of this beer is very much like soda-pop, again proving more evident of a cheap, low quality beer. The foam dissipates very quickly. I say foam, because it can hardly be said that it was a head. Also disappointing, but following suit to beer mass production.

In addition to my overall rating of this beer being very poor, cheap and low quality I also want to make mention that after drinking this Molson product it is also appears that it is loaded with preservatives. Again, another reason why I choose to avoid low quality products such as this. A very disappointing experience all in all, and has reinforced why I generally avoid mass produced Canadian beer products.

3.52/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.5

If what your looking for in a beer is very simple with the main characteristics of cold, crisp and refreshing, then this beer is for you. This beer is served best on tap, in Canada, it really brings it all together. This beer does not have many specialties, it is just you common beer.

3.78/5  rDev +30.8%

If you are looking for a simple cold, crisp, refreshing beer than this is the beer for you. Please try this beer on tap and in the country where it is brewed. There is something about drinking the beer in Canada that makes it that much better. This is the beer to grab when you do not want to mess around with too many frills.

2.83/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

A: The beer is crystal clear yellow in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high white head that gradually died down, leaving a thin head covering the surface and lots of lacing down the sides of the glass.
S: Light aromas of corn flakes are present in the nose along with slight hints of floral hops.
T: Similar to the smell, the taste has flavors of corn and rice, although these adjunct malts aren't as prominent compared to other beers in the style. A slight amount of bitterness is present along with associated hints of floral hops.
M: It feels light-bodied, somewhat watery and a little clean on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: Although this beer isn't that flavorful, it's definitely very easy to drink and goes down easily.

3.07/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured from a bottle into a Pilsener glass.

Appearance: Light gold body with a fluffy foam head. Plenty of bubbles floating around. The head thinned out and formed a surprisingly thick lace that stuck around for awhile.

Smell: Cornmeal and various grains. A little stronger than most AALs.

Taste: Toasted grains make up the flavor of this brew. Nothing complex here. Straightforward taste. I would say it is predictable of the style but this brew is a bit sweeter than others.

Mouthfeel: Lots of carbonation, a bit too much for my liking. It's a rather light body, which could work for or against you depending on how you are enjoying this one.

Overall: This beer is not bad but it is not great. I prefer this one over many others of the AAL variety. I am a sucker for this beer during hockey season... makes the hockey-watching experience feel complete. It's nothing to go out of your way to get but it's not the worst investment.

1.96/5  rDev -32.2%

355ml bottle served in a tulip glass.

A: Pours a pale yellow color forming a bubbled and aired head that dissipates quickly leaving practically no lacings

S: Standard Adjunct Malts Lager beer. Which means, a very weak smell of adjunct malts. Mainly corn. Disgusting

T: As bad as the nose. A slightly sweet malts upfront. Strong notes of adjunct malts, mainly corn. As a matter of fact, as the nose, you can barely feel some real beer in it. Some very far bitterness indicates that some few hops were used

M: Light body. Good carbonation. Terrible adjunct malts aftertaste

O: Horrible drinkability. Standard mass production Adjunct Lager. Don't drink it!

2.91/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Poured a light straw yellow with a decent white head; lots of carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass. The aroma comes across bright and fruity, mixed with grass and grain notes. Thin, grain and rice-like flavor with a dull hop bitterness popping up at the finish. Light, crisp, dry, and fizzy on the palate.

There was a time decades ago where I rather liked Molson, but then, there weren't many other choices for “exotic” beers then. I guess I haven't really missed anything in through the intervening years. Rather subpar, even for an adjunct lager. This would do in a pinch, but would rather scope out a Budweiser or Strohs beer if this were the style I had to drink.

3.43/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I was building my own 6 pack the other day and this caught my eye. I've heard of Molson's and heard it's pretty strong so I wanted to try it.

Yellow, straw color. Head dissipates quickly. Fizzy.

Smells grainy, a hint of malts and corn.

Tastes very good. A nice grainy, hoppy flavor and it was smooth.

Very carbonated, but still pretty smooth. A little heavy, but that's okay.

Overall, a pretty good beer.

3.32/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A- 24 ounce tall boy poured into a shaker pint. Dark straw in color with a half inch head. Head falls quickly leaving behind a nice lace.

S - sweet graininess, corn, tiny bit-o- malt

T - sweet grains at first with a tiny bit of malt towards the end. Finishes dry with an odd toasted corn aftertaste that pops in well after the finish.

M - Perfectly carbonated and full bodied. Quite pleasant actually and this aspect made this tasting enjoyable.

O - Very enjoyable tasting. This is a nice example of a drinking or session beer. This beer has more of a flavor profile than BMC and should be sought out if you need an enjoyable session beer. Keep in mind what style of beer this is when you try it and you will not be disappointed

Molson Canadian Lager from Molson Coors Canada