Molson Canadian Lager - Molson Coors Canada

poor

Molson Coors Canada visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Around the world, Canada is seen as a shining example of nature at its best. We have thousands of freshwater lakes and barley fields as far as the eye can see. That's what makes us so proud to brew Molson Canadian, our signature beer. Brewed without preservatives, from St. Johns to Vancouver, over 3000 Canadians have a hand in bringing Molson Canadian to their family, their friends, and their communities. The people who live here truly deserve a beer brewed with the best this land has to offer. That’s why we make sure our award winning lager is as clean, crisp and fresh as the incredible country it comes from.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Molson Canadian Lager Alström Bros
SopwithCamel18

Beerme09

02-01-2012 14:54:32 | More by Beerme09
weizenbob

3.3/5  rDev +17%

When I was young and impressionable, a gentleman I knew who was trying to kick a keg of Molson Canadian poured me a glass. It was the smoothest beer I'd tasted to that point; and for years after, Molson Canadian was my corn lager of choice. It has been at least half a decade since I last drank Molson, and I'm scared to revisit it for fear that it will ruin my memories of good ol' Ca-Na-Da!

This 24 ounce can was purchased at the Meijer gas station in Ludington, MI for $1.69. There is a drink by date of April 1, 2012 printed on the bottom of the can. The can itself boasts "The best Canada has to offer," and from my memories of both Canada, and Molson Canadian, I would probably agree.

I cracked the top and poured into a pilsner glass. A pint sized pour yields a finger tall, slightly off-white head. Head retention is moderate. Lacing isn't happening. The brew is crystal clear and the color rests neatly between golden and copper. It is darker than I expected, and a steady stream of bubbles rises to the top of the glass. For the style it is very nice looking.

The aroma initially gives off a good amount of corn. There is also a strong malty backbone smelling sweet like wet straw. Unless I'm fooling myself I'm catching the faintest whiff of noble hop varieties behind the sweet corny maltiness. Thankfully it doesn't smell watery.

Ah, my fears can be put to rest. Though this glass of Molson is not as tasty as my memory serves, it is still one of the best beers of its style, and I still prefer it over its domestic counterparts, save for my beloved Schlitz. Following the nose closely, there is an aggressive straw-like maltiness that is paired with a solid amount of sweet corn. Hop bitterness is nowhere to be found; however there is a slight bitter attack from the high level of carbonation. Unfortunately it is slightly watery, but as a whole this is still near the top of the industrial lager pile.

The mouthfeel is on the heaviest end of light. It has a thicker viscosity than its domestic brethren, while still retaining its refreshing light-lager feel. The high carbonation level presents a small carbonic burn on the tongue. I'm not a fan of the sting. Even if the overall feel does stand in contrast with the watery norm of the style I don't feel that it is particularly strong on its own terms either.

Overall I'm finding Canadian to be a decent little beer that could easily become a summer standby. It is a good balance of flavor and refreshment; and though its import status makes it slightly pricier than a Bud, the superior flavor makes the added cost a non-burden. Best of all, my fond memories remain intact.

---

The Two-Schlitz Scale: (reference my profile for an explanation)
I give a Schlitz for Molson Canadian. And this time around it's an apples to apples comparison.

02-01-2012 04:00:53 | More by weizenbob

TrojanWheels

01-19-2012 18:25:33 | More by TrojanWheels
raynmoon

2.8/5  rDev -0.7%

The appearance in the glass is very thin. Very watery looking. Yellowish/ straw like in color.

Th smell is sweet in malts, with a little skunkiness to it. Pretty typical of an adjunct lager.

The taste is pretty similar. It's smooth, you get the light, slightly overly sweet malt, and as it goes down you get some alcohol/ skuny bite on your breath. It actually tastes much better than some of the mexican and american pale lagers. It reminds me a lot of some european lagers i've had before.

Not great. But not terrible either. I could see myself drinking a few of these and not complaining TOO much.

01-19-2012 06:46:09 | More by raynmoon