Molson Canadian Lager - Molson Coors Canada

Molson Coors Canada visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2001

Around the world, Canada is seen as a shining example of nature at its best. We have thousands of freshwater lakes and barley fields as far as the eye can see. That's what makes us so proud to brew Molson Canadian, our signature beer. Brewed without preservatives, from St. Johns to Vancouver, over 3000 Canadians have a hand in bringing Molson Canadian to their family, their friends, and their communities. The people who live here truly deserve a beer brewed with the best this land has to offer. That’s why we make sure our award winning lager is as clean, crisp and fresh as the incredible country it comes from.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Molson Canadian Lager Alström Bros
1.81/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Ah the pride of Canada (right?). Pours golden copper with small white head. Aroma is light sweet malt, a little biscuit and corn. Flavor follows with light sweetness, a bit of biscuit, and some light hops and hay to go along. Mouthfeel is light and a little dirty on the finish, with adequate to medium-high carbonation. Better than Bud Light I guess.

3.5/5  rDev +24.6%

2.75/5  rDev -2.1%

stadium beer. pours a corn color with a small white head that turns to nothing. smells like a frat house, better than a budlight, but not by much. this beer is at every sports event there is, and it can be decent after a hockey game, but its just another mass produced lager. taste isnt bad, doesnt taste like the container it was served from, which is a plus. light feel, good carbonation. makes this an easy drinker, especialy when its cold. better than the other beers in its price range, i cant hate this too bad, but at the end of the day these are all the same. not sure why its my old man's go to, but it still is. nothing distinct, no hop presence dectable, and very approachable. whatever kind of drink for me.

2.53/5  rDev -10%

Served from a 12oz brown bottle into a pint glass. No date on the bottle. My dad stopped over last night and left a few bottles in the fridge, so I figured I might as well review it.

A: Yellow/gold straw color, very clear, fluffy white head comes up and quickly disappears like soda, leaving no lacing at all. Looks exactly like your average macro corn adjunct.

S: Not much nose to speak of. You can really only pick up a whiff of corn and alcohol immediately after swirling the glass around. Smells like fermented cooked corn.

T: It tastes pretty much like the typical macro adjunct beer flavor you'd expect from similar beers (A-B, Coors and Miller products) - alcohol, boiled corn, hint of cheap malts and possibly a hint of cheap hops as well, with that unmistakable adjunct metallic flavor coming through. Not particularly pleasant, but nothing notably damaging to the drinkability.

M: Light watery body, high CO2 carbonation like soda. It feels like drinking a cheap beer flavored soda.

D: Drinkable. It's really not much different from your typical beer of this style. Goes down easy and has the added benefit of being a slightly higher ABV than most others of the style.

O: If you're looking for a beer to have an appreciation for, this isn't it. If you're looking for a cheap session beer that you can slam down a 12-pack of and get buzzed up, given it's above average ABV (for the style), this would be a decent pick for that purpose.

1.5/5  rDev -46.6%

3.33/5  rDev +18.5%

When I was young and impressionable, a gentleman I knew who was trying to kick a keg of Molson Canadian poured me a glass. It was the smoothest beer I'd tasted to that point; and for years after, Molson Canadian was my corn lager of choice. It has been at least half a decade since I last drank Molson, and I'm scared to revisit it for fear that it will ruin my memories of good ol' Ca-Na-Da!

This 24 ounce can was purchased at the Meijer gas station in Ludington, MI for $1.69. There is a drink by date of April 1, 2012 printed on the bottom of the can. The can itself boasts "The best Canada has to offer," and from my memories of both Canada, and Molson Canadian, I would probably agree.

I cracked the top and poured into a pilsner glass. A pint sized pour yields a finger tall, slightly off-white head. Head retention is moderate. Lacing isn't happening. The brew is crystal clear and the color rests neatly between golden and copper. It is darker than I expected, and a steady stream of bubbles rises to the top of the glass. For the style it is very nice looking.

The aroma initially gives off a good amount of corn. There is also a strong malty backbone smelling sweet like wet straw. Unless I'm fooling myself I'm catching the faintest whiff of noble hop varieties behind the sweet corny maltiness. Thankfully it doesn't smell watery.

Ah, my fears can be put to rest. Though this glass of Molson is not as tasty as my memory serves, it is still one of the best beers of its style, and I still prefer it over its domestic counterparts, save for my beloved Schlitz. Following the nose closely, there is an aggressive straw-like maltiness that is paired with a solid amount of sweet corn. Hop bitterness is nowhere to be found; however there is a slight bitter attack from the high level of carbonation. Unfortunately it is slightly watery, but as a whole this is still near the top of the industrial lager pile.

The mouthfeel is on the heaviest end of light. It has a thicker viscosity than its domestic brethren, while still retaining its refreshing light-lager feel. The high carbonation level presents a small carbonic burn on the tongue. I'm not a fan of the sting. Even if the overall feel does stand in contrast with the watery norm of the style I don't feel that it is particularly strong on its own terms either.

Overall I'm finding Canadian to be a decent little beer that could easily become a summer standby. It is a good balance of flavor and refreshment; and though its import status makes it slightly pricier than a Bud, the superior flavor makes the added cost a non-burden. Best of all, my fond memories remain intact.

---

The Two-Schlitz Scale: (reference my profile for an explanation)
I give a Schlitz for Molson Canadian. And this time around it's an apples to apples comparison.

Molson Canadian Lager from Molson Coors Canada