Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Molson Golden - Molson Coors Canada

Molson GoldenMolson Golden

Molson Coors Canada visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2001

A smooth, mellow beer of moderate sweetness, not too bitter and slightly malty.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Molson Golden Alström Bros

To be fair, I didn't realize it was a pale when I picked it up. When I see the word "golden", I'm thinking something darker, with some aroma, a stronger flavour and a crisper finish. This boarderlines a light beer. This said, there's nothing otherwise wrong with it and likely fits a lot of people's definition of a good beer, but it's not exciting to me.

3.91/5  rDev +41.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A charming brew that makes me remember a time when things were just a little bit simpler. It was a day unlike any other with a very slight and welcomed chill on the wind near Banff NP. I sat down with my Father and shared a bottle of this beautiful brew. We got into a spot of trouble as I was only 7 at the time, but we thought that was legal drinking age in the Great White North. Still, the beer has the warm golden tones of a July sunset. The smell and taste of the nectar God himself drinks after he mows the lawn in July. But, the feeling is a smooth intake and mild finish, like me when I've had a few. Overall this is an above average daily drinker, also like me it is best in shot bursts.

3.25/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

L: Pours brilliant gold under a moderately persistent white foam cap, very lively and lacey.
S: Graham cracker and some sloral spice, very faint skunk.
T: Crisp, dry, some light caramel sweetness on the finish, big cracker flavors but fairly light overall.
F: Light, highly carbonated
O: Not as good as I remember from the 70’s in Toronto but better than I had feared.

2.96/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pretty average beer in my book. Nothing spectacular, but also a pretty solid taste. Reminds me of a very mellow pils. Maybe something I would enjoy on a hot day.

3.25/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Clear, light golden color. Small head, lingers for a bit. Some lacing. Citrusy aroma amd taste. Crisp. Very much like a light beer. Slight tartness in the aftertaste. The bottle says, "specially brewed for the unique flavor of an ale and a lager"but I'm not getting it. This is a garden-variety pilsner all the way. Drinkable but unremarkable.

2.7/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A: Pours a clear straw yellow color with 2 fingers of head that quickly fades down to a thin cap

S: A bit of cereal grain and barley up front, along with a bit of sweetness and corn. Not too much else

T: Starts off with a bit of herbal hoppiness along with the cereal grains and barley malt. Goes into a bit of sweetness and light corn syrup notes. Finishes with lingering light sweetness

M: Light bodied with moderate-high carbonation. Fairly standard for the style

O: An easy drinking brew for a get-together or gathering. Has decent flavor and good drinkability. Not bad, but certainly not my first choice either

2.64/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a pilsner glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear straw yellow with a two finger white head. Heavy lacing. Looks good in the glass.

Aroma: Very clean, crisp smell with some light toast and very faint malt. Also a whiff of corn.

Taste: Finding it hard to believe there isn't a lot of corn in there. It's clean and crisp, but there's definitely some corny funk.

Mouthfeel: Watery and light.

Overall: Molson kind of lacks the charm of High Life and Pabst, but it's also much better than Budweiser and not appreciably worse than Heineken. As multinational macro lagers go, it's midrange. There's worse stuff to drink while watching hockey (eh), but it's very so-so.

2.5/5  rDev -9.7%

This has potential as a Pilsner like maltiness meets a rye like grain flavor meets slight bitterness and cracker dryness. It has a real ease of drinkability and it's not too harsh, rather crisp actually. There's just a weakness and a lack of assertiveness that ranks it below average.

3.85/5  rDev +39%

Poured into a glass.

A - Gold straw. Two inch head goes quickly but has retention the whole time. Nice speckled lacing.

S - Grains, corn, grass, some light malt.

T - Starts with light hops, grains and corn. Finishes sweet with grass and more light hops.

M- Light

O - Top notch adjunct lager. Very refreshing and tasty! I didn't buy this for a while because I was wary of the dreaded green bottle. Six beers in and no skunk. Go get some.

2.69/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured from the bottle into a Libbey style pilsner glass. Blend of ale and lager? oookay... green bottle, time to spin the skunk roulette wheel.

Classic AAL looking appearance. Foamy and bright white head, with very shampoo like retention. Dissolves fairly quickly, while sitting on top of a crystal clear bright straw yellow and brass body. Small rising amounts of carbonation continue.

Slight skunky notes. Some sweet corn and bread toast, some faint mild herbal hop notes. Wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't compromised. Work on that packaging gang ....

Interesting. Skunk aroma takes a back seat to more of the sweetness of the malt. Some hinting bread a bit, and almost Kolsch like finish of sour to sweet aftertaste mixing a bit dry as well. Fairly decent mouthfeel with some body but staying away from the syrup realm. Missing just a hint of herbal crisp and hop pop.

It comes out not half bad, but is just slightly ordinary than a lawnmower beer. I am not feeling this really

3.28/5  rDev +18.4%

Everybody here is reviewing this from the wrong perspective. This is not meant to go toe to toe with the latest from Stone or Great Divide. This is a relatively inexpensive beer with a twist top that you knock back with friends while the game is on, or while you're lighting the grill. It's great on a hot day and a good beer to keep in your fridge when you want something lighter that you don't really have to think about, but at the same time it is worlds better than Budweiser, regular Molson Canadian, and other adjuncts.

It does have a slightly sweet note across the tongue and a mild sulfur-ish back note, but I personally like it and think it has character. It's not overwhelming, it's just a pleasant easy drinker. Carbonation is there but not overwhelming. Finish is crisp enough to notice.

I have tried many American adjuncts and don't enjoy anything from A-B. I recently drain poured a Miller Fortune. Coors Light offends me. But I am glad to say that I discovered Molson Golden and will be keeping it around as a go-to for when I want to enjoy a neutral beer that doesn't pull me to any extreme. Sometimes you want an IPA or an imperial stout, but sometimes you just want "a beer" to kick back with. This is that beer. If you understand what I mean by that then I recommend giving this a shot.

2.48/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Why? Sometimes, with beers like this, I just don't know anymore.

I'm not surprised by the pale so called straw-yellow look, or by the fizz and the weak, thin foam it forms. What does surprise me is that any lace of any kind exists at all, but some tiny, sparsely deposited spotting is there nonetheless.
There's very little to the nose. There's corn husk and a slightly sulfuric (not skunky) vegetal note. There's also grass. What is that, hops? Hope yet lives.
A bit sweeter on the tongue, it does have some substance yet. It's just not much. Still corn, vegetation, grains, and a bit of fruit are better than some things offered by this type of beer.
Sometimes note having a terribly thin, watery body can be a detractor for this style. Odd, I know. But this beer has a thickness and a certain slickness that's worse than if it had a weaker body, though it is light regardless. It's sort of a clash on the palate, though a bite of crispness cuts through it some.

This is just your basic Canadian beer.

A - Pours out a light yellow (golden?) color with a fleeting head.

S - Grains with some hop note.

T - Good sharp flavor with a balance of malt and hops.

M - Very pleasant, a bit of a hoppy finish.

O - This is a solid choice for any Canadian beer drinker.

3.62/5  rDev +30.7%

its molson golden...10.99 per !2er at pharmacy...no elaborate review here but 2.5 times Bud for overall drinkability..when it comes to this watery sweet style there is really only one other option i would consider for a nice mellow session: and that would have to be Coors Xtra Gold

2.67/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A: Pours a crystal clear medium straw yellow in color with significant amounts of active visible carbonation constantly streaming from the bottom of the glass and some faint golden yellow highlights. The beer has a finger tall fizzy white head that quickly reduces to a thin film covering the majority of the surface of the beer and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of grainy malts with corn adjuncts and some faint aromas of grassy hops.

T: Upfront there is a light to moderate flavor of grainy malts with light to moderate amounts of corn adjunct sweetness. Light flavors of grassy hops are present in the finish contributing a touch of bitterness which fades quickly.

M: Light bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Crisp but slightly thin/watery.

O: This takes me back to the days of college in upstate NY where this was the beer of choice due to the cheap price compared with American BMC (this was in the early 1990s so there were not a lot of craft options available). Maybe not as quite as I expected it to be from my college memories...and I was surprised that it was not skunky at all considering the green glass bottle.

2.83/5  rDev +2.2%

Tasted On: 10-11-2013
Freshness: Best by 01-2014
Packaging: 12 oz. green bottle, screw-cap
Glassware: Shaker pint
Purchased: 6-pack from Kroger

A: Big white head on the golden-colored and clear beer. Shows good head retention and OK lacing.

S: Smells of light malty sweetness and some hay notes in the hops. Some vegetable aromas are a detraction.

T/M: Taste has a little sweetness and no bitterness. Crisp and clean mouthfeel with a light body.

O: A simple brew that's not remarkable or offensive.

2.99/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Clear light golden color. Bubbles rising from the bottom, white head that leaves a film. Light lacing.

Aroma: Faint adjuncts, slight sweetness.

Taste: A harsh metallic note. Some malts, adjuncts? Slightly skunky finish.

Mouthfeel: Carbonated.

Overall: I have no idea what I just drank. It could have been any number of mass produced American pale lagers.

2.51/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Initially, I was a fan of Molson brews. They were one of my bridge beers that got me into exploring the ever expanding craft beer industry. (I know it is not a craft beer) However, I have not had this beer since I was young with my Dad and I cannot wait to review it.

Appearance- Totally see through with many carbonation bubbles. It has color that has a light yellow/straw or even "Golden" hue to it. With a fierce poor a two fingered pure white head was present and lasted about two minutes before disappearing into a thin skin of foam on the surface. As I finished it lacing does say on the glass just a bit.

Smell- With the initial whiff, I really only smell corn and rice. With the second smell, I really detect a sweet grain to this beer. Really, I was expecting a bit better smell; clearly there was not any adventure in brewing this mass marketed beer.

Taste- With the first hit of the palate I am getting an overwhelming corn and grain taste. It leaves a skunky aftertaste as well even with the first gulp. With the second taste, I gather even more corn; you can really make out the natural sweetness of corn in this brew.

Mouthfeel- Molson Golden mouthfeel is definitely better than other mass marketed beers. Without a doubt it is not "as" watery as others. For being so light in color, the body of this beer is heavier than I presumed but still very very light.

Overall- Disappointed. I was not expecting a whole lot however the earthiness of the beer dominated its entire presence. This is the definition of a chugging beer, because you do NOT want to just sip on it. I would recommend this as a lawn mower beer or when you invite your buddies over for the big game. This is not a one of a kind brew. CHEERS!

3.3/5  rDev +19.1%

There's just something about this beer. It's definitely nothing special, in fact, it's fairly ordinary. I just happen to love it! I rarely buy cheaper brews, but when I do, it's often this.

Has a light, yet good flavor. Nice and crisp, and has a unique sweetness to it reminiscent of carmel.

2.14/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

12 oz bottle. dated May 13 13. I have to imagine that may be a best before rather than a bottled-on...

A: very pale "golden" hue. crystal clear. not a lot of carb coming up. bright white head is tightly bubbled. retention is more of a rim. spotted lacing.

S: virtually no hop aroma. a sweetened, corn-ish aroma that may have a touch of DMS to it.

T: starts with enough carb to take any potential flavor out of my mind. a bit grainy? finish is tad bland. dry, simple cereal.

M: big and distracting. light bodied for sure.

D: I wish I had more to say about this brew, but between the unappealing aroma and lack of flavor it is tough to use more words in this review. if the purpose of drinking a beer is to drink some fizzy liquid that has alcohol in it, this could suffice. for everyone using this website, pass.

2.72/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A: The beer is crystal clear straw yellow in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a half finger high bright white head that died down, leaving a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface, a collar around the edge of the glass, and bits of lacing down the sides.
S: Light aromas of corn and grainy malts are present in the nose along with some hints of grassy hops.
T: The taste has light flavors of grainy malts along with hints of adjuncts and sweetness; these are contrasted by a light amount of bitterness and faint amounts of grassy hops.
M: It feels light-bodied and slightly watery on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is easy to drink and has a very good balance between malts and hops for a light beer. While it came in a green bottle, I couldn’t detect any skunk in the smell or taste.

3.42/5  rDev +23.5%

This is one of those beers I've heard about for a very long time but had never had the opportunity to try. Well I got my chance recently...

The beer, like its name, pours out a beautiful golden color, rather appealing really. The smell and taste were surprising in a way, there was a distant hint of citrus I am certain I tasted. The single reason why I rated it better than average. Mouthfeel was average at best and it actually felt a bit watery sloshing around. Overall, it was better than what I expected and have enjoyed a few more than one since.

2.33/5  rDev -15.9%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

How did I miss this stuff during my trip to Windsor those years ago...? Anyway, this stuff pours a clear pale gold topped by a relatively short-lived finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises wheat, very light lemon peel, and mineral water. The taste brings in more of the same, with both the wheat and the lemon gaining that usual macro funk (one day I'll find a better way to describe that quality (or lack thereof)). The body is pretty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, a meek, bland, sad little beer. 'Nuff said, really.

4.33/5  rDev +56.3%

A totally underrated beer. This pours clear, golden, beautiful. a nice head, not too much, not too little. the smell is as beer should be: hops, malt .. yum. It can get a little skunky, which to be honest, I really don't mind if it is not excessive. The alc kick is decent, and actually a little surprising as the flavor of alc doesn't come through at all. It is very, very drinkable, maybe a little too much so. I can down three of these in a half hour and not realise it.. until the buzz hits.. which is nice and smooth, not heavy and sickening. All around, a true favorite.

Molson Golden has a thick, white head, heavy lacing left on the glass, a clear, golden appearance, and lots of bubbles streaming up. The aroma is strange- like an old basement, with sweetness. Taste is more or less like typical beer, but one can detect sweet grain and a higher than average hop bitterness in the middle and end of the sip. There is a grassy note here as well. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Molson Golden finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, and dry. Overall, this is a very good beer.

Molson Golden from Molson Coors Canada