Follow our progress ...

Molson GoldenMolson Golden

Molson Coors Canada
Ontario, Canada | website

Style: American Pale Lager

A smooth, mellow beer of moderate sweetness, not too bitter and slightly malty.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2001

firstprev| 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next → last
Reviews: 217 | Ratings: 619
3.03/5  rDev +9%

Yellow to light golden with a small white head that disappeared quickly. Little lacing. Grassy nose with some faint maltiness. The taste was of malt with a small hint of hops at the end. This is pleasant beer that neither offends or impresses. I found the highly carbonated mouthfeel to be one of the strongest impressions.

2.56/5  rDev -7.9%

pours out a clear darkish "golden" color...moderate head and a bit of lace. strong corn aromas....and a hint of floral hoppiness. sort of strange tasting....a dirty...or earthy maltiness....some adjuncts....a slight hop crispness in the finish. all this is propped up by a rather smooth and creamy mouthfeel that seems to be the only highly redeeming quality to this beer. not really impressed, and i clearly prefer the "canadian" molson over the "golden" counterpart.

2.91/5  rDev +4.7%

Crystal clear medium golden color with a thick snow-white head that fades, but remains to the end. Modest carbonation and very good lace. Aroma is very skunky and sulferous, not at all pleasant. Somewhere underneath all of the skunk, there seems to be some malt, hops, and hints of alcohol, but its hard to tell. Taste begins with slightly sweet maltiness which gives way to mild medicinal hop bitterness. Both malt and hops seem to fade to the end, with a clean and crisp finish. I suspect that this sample may be light struck (cursed be those who do not bottle beer in brown glass), but its really not that bad. Curious that this commonly-available beer has not garnered more reviews. And this is a pale ale??? Hard to believe...

2.23/5  rDev -19.8%

Blonde, slightly golden hue, translucent, 1/4 of an inch of brilliant white head, no lace. Faintly sweet nose, boring, clean actually. Yawn… slightly sweet taste, equally floral, mildly pathetic malt undertones. Dry, lackluster finish. Carbonation provides the mouthfeel… yes… it is that dreadful. I fail to notice anything positive about Molson Golden. Skip it.

Thankfully, I only paid 89c for a single of this beer.

2.73/5  rDev -1.8%

Review: Medium dark in color with moderately high carbonation, little to no head. Has a husky skunky smell. Starts with a mixture of skunky body that finishes with a bland skunky aftertaste. Feels a bit heavier to start but finishes sort of average.

Personal Notes: This was pretty bad. The sad part is, this used to be a staple for me for about 7 years of my life. During that time, I had a Canadian girlfriend whose father asked me one day "what are you drinking that stuff for?". Now I know why.

2.4/5  rDev -13.7%

Clear dark yellow appearance, biggish head that clears to nothing in 20 seconds. No lacing in the pint glass. A blend of vague lemon and corn to the aroma, some tassel and pollen-like stuff going on. Taste is pretty stripped-down, a little bit of diacetyl and mild corn syrup, quite a bit of carbonation. Decent hop crispness late, not bad balance. The malts seem more at fault, this beer just doesn't generate a flavor profile. Can't really recommend this one.

2.65/5  rDev -4.7%

Nice golden colour with pleasing head which quickly disapates....having said that, the body is weak, taste is non-descript...Poor thing is rather ugly tasting in a pretty sort of way........Nuff said!

2.6/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

blahh just a bland beer with a slightly slightly sweet aftertaste. After enjoying the craftwork of Bill and Ron at Victory--materialized in the art that is Golden Monkey, I can say this...This isn't a beer, but sadly in comparison of many macros this is a good macro, which is why in the grand scheme of things i rated it as only "a little below average".

2.99/5  rDev +7.6%

Molson Golden is aptly named, as it is a pale goden color and pours with about a one inch nice white head. The head slowly dissipates and leaves no evidence of its earlier prescence. The aroma is faint, but has a hint of hops florals in it. It smells very "fresh". On the taste, the malt is evident, and the hops clean the palate fairly well, but there is a hint of something tha lingers, and I want to say it is butterscotch. But it is just a hint. After a few moments, an unpleasant bitterness reappears as an aftertaste. The mouthfeel is typical macro-thin, but the drinkability is better than most macros. This beer gives a fair blend of macro swill and micro thrill.

3.23/5  rDev +16.2%

Can opens with a resounding "poop". Smell fills my nostrils as I close my eyes and bring the can to my lips. I take a can opener and pop another hole in the back of the can as I tilt my head and allow the sweet nector to fill my gullet. The only way to drink this "beer" is frat style. Not a sipping beer.

2.75/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours a very clear light color with a small white head that tries to leave a thin lace. The smell is a heavy lemon twang with nothing else coming through. The taste is a little better than the smell revealing an earthy taste with a little bit of hop bitterness, but it is rather faint. It has traces of a light spice, but this definitely has more characteristics of a lager than an ale! Just fair in my book. I think this is Canada's very own Bud ;-) Cheers!

3.5/5  rDev +25.9%

Very light and smooth are the defining characteristics of this beer. Not much taste difference than any other simple cheaper beer, but a bit more flavorful, and certainly not as nasty smelling. Doesn't have that terrible corn flavor either. All in all a refreshing crisp beer that goes down smooth. Good, but certainly nothing special. And it beats dirty Molson Ice any day.

3.25/5  rDev +16.9%

Molson Golden is a one of a kind “blend of ale and lager”, it is part ale and part lager. Molson Golden comes in a green 12oz bottle and pours a golden amber, with a fair white foam head, that is fleeting.

Nose is of corn and malted barley, and palate is an aggressive bitter hops then malted barley with corn, and done quite nicely I might add. After taste is a pleasantly bitter hops with a carbonation bight.

Molson Golden is not the common every day fare as far as the cloy corn Beers coming out of Canada nowadays.

I have read what Molson had to say about this Beer/Ale or Ale/Beer, and I found the described “Full-flavored. Distinctively malty. Delicious, rich taste.” But what I could not find was “the spicy, fruity flavors of an ale”

In conclusion, Molson is marketing a well done hybrid product that is really worth the money.

3.42/5  rDev +23%

doesn't seem like an ale to me, but it is a little dark in flavor, and smooth for an economic beer. it goes down with great ease, and it is no problem to have a few. a decent to good brew that you can drink with a good flavor and a medium body

3.36/5  rDev +20.9%

I have to say that I kind of like this beer. It reminds me of apple cider. Starts off with kind of an apple flavor followed up by a hint of light malt. The flavor is kind of thin, but this is really not a bad beer. Not something that'll make it to the top of my list, but not bad.

3.08/5  rDev +10.8%

This is a decent macro. Yes, my tastes are more along the lines of any IPA, but when fresh, this beer is decent. Pours out to a bright yellow with a quickly fading head. Very light aroma, somewhat that of corn and grains. Taste is slightly bitter and sweet at the same time, albeit very light. O'Canada...someone start singing already. Is Hockey Night in Canada on the tube? In the Detroit area, Labatt and Molson products sell quite well. At one time, this was a huge seller all over the U.S. This particular beer has seen better days sales-wise, but is overall a decent beer.

3.2/5  rDev +15.1%

There once was a time in the early '80's when my friends and I thought that this was the best beer! (It had to be...it cost $2.65 a six back then!) But as I'm drinking one now, I laugh at that thought. Now it just seems like any other light-bodied mass-produced lager/ale. Hell, which is it anyway? Not something I'd go out and purchase myself these days, this one was one of a fresh 12 pak given to me. I don't know if it's me and my palate growing more umm, sophisticated, or the brewery's recipe being doctored over the years.

firstprev| 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next → last