Molson Golden - Molson Coors Canada

Molson Coors Canada visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2001

A smooth, mellow beer of moderate sweetness, not too bitter and slightly malty.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Molson Golden Alström Bros
firstprev| 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next → last
3.75/5  rDev +33.5%

Pours a pale gold in color with a nice white head that reduces to a ring and an island in my glass.

It has a nice aroma of biscuit, grains and grassy hops.

The taste is also good. There is lots of malt flavor but also a note of adjuncts. The sweetness from the malt is stronger than the light hop bite.

The body is light, but still has some substance: This beer isn't watery.

Overall this is a fine beer. I was very impressed by Canada's beers during a recent trip and wanted to try some more back home. Canada mass produces beer with flavor. (546 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +35.9%

I was very surprised by this product. I wasn't expecting much as I only bought it as a mainstream product for non-micro drinkers. I also bought Stella Artois for the mainstream folks but found this to be much better than Stella.

The bottle was freshness dated (code) on the neck. The ale poured, as I would have expected, a light golden color. Smell was stronger than I'd anticipated. The body wasn't that of a craft brew but it wasn't as lacking as found in most macros. Very drinkable - wouldn't mind drinking this one at all on occasions where micros aren't available. I think it may earn a regular spot in my refrigerator - primarily for macro-drinking guests but also, on occasion, for me as a session brew. (715 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +36.3%

A CAN from CANada's oldest brewery! CAN you dig it?!?

Wow, did my pour ever result in some nice head - two finger's worth of thick, foamy, bone-white head with decent retention! Color was a golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Talk about truth in advertising ... Nose had a slightly sweet cast to it, more lager-like than ale. Mouthfeel was medium with a slightly sweet taste, not much hops in evidence, but not overwhelmed by malt, either, striking a nice balance. Finish was slightly dry, and quite tasty, especially compared to Molson CANadian. If you did not enjoy this in a bottle, I urge you to give it a re-visit in a CAN! (632 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +37%

Poured into a glass.

A - Gold straw. Two inch head goes quickly but has retention the whole time. Nice speckled lacing.

S - Grains, corn, grass, some light malt.

T - Starts with light hops, grains and corn. Finishes sweet with grass and more light hops.

M- Light

O - Top notch adjunct lager. Very refreshing and tasty! I didn't buy this for a while because I was wary of the dreaded green bottle. Six beers in and no skunk. Go get some. (442 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +38.8%

Pours an ultra clear pale gold. Streaming carbonation under a quasi-dense 1 1/2 finger head that will stick for a while. Very decent waves of lace. Noble hops and some sweet fruits phenols like stawberries. Very mild malt presence, almost wheat-like; but a slight vinous character keeps the taste balanced well against light german hop flavors. Dry and somewhat tart aftertaste, but the mouthfeel remains crisp and refreshing. The all around flavor is a bit timid for the style, but the clean finish makes a great drinkability. (527 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +39.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A charming brew that makes me remember a time when things were just a little bit simpler. It was a day unlike any other with a very slight and welcomed chill on the wind near Banff NP. I sat down with my Father and shared a bottle of this beautiful brew. We got into a spot of trouble as I was only 7 at the time, but we thought that was legal drinking age in the Great White North. Still, the beer has the warm golden tones of a July sunset. The smell and taste of the nectar God himself drinks after he mows the lawn in July. But, the feeling is a smooth intake and mild finish, like me when I've had a few. Overall this is an above average daily drinker, also like me it is best in shot bursts. (699 characters)

Molson Golden has a thick, white head, heavy lacing left on the glass, a clear, golden appearance, and lots of bubbles streaming up. The aroma is strange- like an old basement, with sweetness. Taste is more or less like typical beer, but one can detect sweet grain and a higher than average hop bitterness in the middle and end of the sip. There is a grassy note here as well. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Molson Golden finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, and dry. Overall, this is a very good beer.

RJT (509 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +47.7%

Well i had this molson offering last night. Pours out a nice deep golden color, with a small head that doesn't last, and then fades to a small ring of laceing. Looks decent. Smell was average for a macro, and that trademark corny molson smell. Better than Canadian's smell. This was a great tasteing brew tho, goes down smooth, well carbonated with a sweet, tart after taste. Quite pleasing. This is a beer that can be slammed all night, and that's what i did. I HIGHLY recommend this beer, its light years ahead of Canadian. Highly enjoyable, tastey and light! Highly recommended! (581 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +54.1%

A totally underrated beer. This pours clear, golden, beautiful. a nice head, not too much, not too little. the smell is as beer should be: hops, malt .. yum. It can get a little skunky, which to be honest, I really don't mind if it is not excessive. The alc kick is decent, and actually a little surprising as the flavor of alc doesn't come through at all. It is very, very drinkable, maybe a little too much so. I can down three of these in a half hour and not realise it.. until the buzz hits.. which is nice and smooth, not heavy and sickening. All around, a true favorite. (576 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +57.3%

UPDATE: This was a review of a Molson Golden brewed in Canada. I do not endorse, and no longer buy, Molson Golden brewed in Colorado, USA.

Poured the beer from a bottle into a wide-mouthed, chilled glass.

-Appearance 4.0: Beautiful light golden color. This is a deeper gold than any other lager I can think of. Slight head. Carbonation visible; very small bubbles.

-Smell 4.5: Smells...very good. I smell slight yeast, hops, grains...there is also something else in there that I cannot put my finger on. Very refreshing just to smell this beer.

-Taste 4.5: Smooth taste, slight hoppy flavor. Nice barley notes and a very refreshing taste. I could see myself drinking these all night!

-Mouthfeel 4.0: Very "big" mouthfeel. An almost perfect level of carbonation. Few lingering tastes afterward. Smooth and enjoyable.

-Overall 4.5: Refreshing, reliable and delicious. Goes well with food, but I reserve it as an always dependable session beer.

Molson Golden is a highly underrated beer. I consider it to be the best Macro-beer brewed in North America. I think some people have had bad experiences because of skunkiness caused by the green bottle, which is a shame. Try to find a bottle with a "best by" date at least three months away.

$10.99 for a twelve pack in Acworth, GA. (1,284 characters)

firstprev| 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next → last