Molson Golden - Molson Coors Canada

Molson Coors Canada visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2001

A smooth, mellow beer of moderate sweetness, not too bitter and slightly malty.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Molson Golden Alström Bros

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I tried this beer during the early 80s when they launched a large Canadian campaign to get beer drinkers drinking Golden again. The campaign did nothing more than make fun of the beer's name (Moslen Godlen, Molden Golson, etc). This was also the brand featured on all The Molson's commercials.

Sadly, this beer is no longer part of Molson Canada's lineup (as per their website).

Anyway, the last time I tried this, the beer was golden in colour with almost no head. The aroma was weak with a grassy tinge to it. It was very crisp and clear on the tongue with weak carbonation. The taste was also weak, not watery, but not very beer-y either.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from the green bottle into a pint glass to produce a 1/2" head of pure white loose foam. The liquid is a pale orangy/yellow. The head dissipated immediately to a thin ring leaving no lacing behind.

The smell had a spicy malt scent that I didn't find too appealing.

The taste: Unique... I'll say that.... but not too pleasant. How to describe....hmmm.... a spicey sweetness (is that corn?) with a slight hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: too thin for my taste... too carbonated... too fizzy.

Drinkability.... this is my wife's beer of choice.... I'll leave the rest for her...

2.51/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Initially, I was a fan of Molson brews. They were one of my bridge beers that got me into exploring the ever expanding craft beer industry. (I know it is not a craft beer) However, I have not had this beer since I was young with my Dad and I cannot wait to review it.

Appearance- Totally see through with many carbonation bubbles. It has color that has a light yellow/straw or even "Golden" hue to it. With a fierce poor a two fingered pure white head was present and lasted about two minutes before disappearing into a thin skin of foam on the surface. As I finished it lacing does say on the glass just a bit.

Smell- With the initial whiff, I really only smell corn and rice. With the second smell, I really detect a sweet grain to this beer. Really, I was expecting a bit better smell; clearly there was not any adventure in brewing this mass marketed beer.

Taste- With the first hit of the palate I am getting an overwhelming corn and grain taste. It leaves a skunky aftertaste as well even with the first gulp. With the second taste, I gather even more corn; you can really make out the natural sweetness of corn in this brew.

Mouthfeel- Molson Golden mouthfeel is definitely better than other mass marketed beers. Without a doubt it is not "as" watery as others. For being so light in color, the body of this beer is heavier than I presumed but still very very light.

Overall- Disappointed. I was not expecting a whole lot however the earthiness of the beer dominated its entire presence. This is the definition of a chugging beer, because you do NOT want to just sip on it. I would recommend this as a lawn mower beer or when you invite your buddies over for the big game. This is not a one of a kind brew. CHEERS!

2.52/5  rDev -6.3%

A- Pale golden, straw colored even. Weak head.
S- Corn, with just a shade of toasted malt. weak smell.
T- The taste is of corn with just a shade of hop flavor.
M- Actually pretty rich and smooth for what it is.
D- This beer is just unimpressive. And is it really a blonde ale?

2.53/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a yellow pale color, not much carbonation, small head, not much lacing afterwards. Scents of sweet malts and citrus. The taste is kinda tangy and bland, not much of an aftertaste. Light-Medium body. Drinkable I guess, but not by much. For a macro it's not bad though.

Molson Golden from Molson Coors Canada