1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Molson Golden - Molson Coors Canada

Molson GoldenMolson Golden

poor

poor

Molson Coors Canada visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

A smooth, mellow beer of moderate sweetness, not too bitter and slightly malty.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Molson Golden Alström Bros
2.5/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from the green bottle into a pint glass to produce a 1/2" head of pure white loose foam. The liquid is a pale orangy/yellow. The head dissipated immediately to a thin ring leaving no lacing behind.

The smell had a spicy malt scent that I didn't find too appealing.

The taste: Unique... I'll say that.... but not too pleasant. How to describe....hmmm.... a spicey sweetness (is that corn?) with a slight hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: too thin for my taste... too carbonated... too fizzy.

Drinkability.... this is my wife's beer of choice.... I'll leave the rest for her...

TheBierBand, Jun 27, 2007

rderedin, May 12, 2013

TheBeerWhisperers, Apr 18, 2014

swgwilt, Mar 24, 2014

BeerMeBrah, Jul 28, 2012
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Initially, I was a fan of Molson brews. They were one of my bridge beers that got me into exploring the ever expanding craft beer industry. (I know it is not a craft beer) However, I have not had this beer since I was young with my Dad and I cannot wait to review it.

Appearance- Totally see through with many carbonation bubbles. It has color that has a light yellow/straw or even "Golden" hue to it. With a fierce poor a two fingered pure white head was present and lasted about two minutes before disappearing into a thin skin of foam on the surface. As I finished it lacing does say on the glass just a bit.

Smell- With the initial whiff, I really only smell corn and rice. With the second smell, I really detect a sweet grain to this beer. Really, I was expecting a bit better smell; clearly there was not any adventure in brewing this mass marketed beer.

Taste- With the first hit of the palate I am getting an overwhelming corn and grain taste. It leaves a skunky aftertaste as well even with the first gulp. With the second taste, I gather even more corn; you can really make out the natural sweetness of corn in this brew.

Mouthfeel- Molson Golden mouthfeel is definitely better than other mass marketed beers. Without a doubt it is not "as" watery as others. For being so light in color, the body of this beer is heavier than I presumed but still very very light.

Overall- Disappointed. I was not expecting a whole lot however the earthiness of the beer dominated its entire presence. This is the definition of a chugging beer, because you do NOT want to just sip on it. I would recommend this as a lawn mower beer or when you invite your buddies over for the big game. This is not a one of a kind brew. CHEERS!

Tr0janSlay3r, Jul 29, 2013
2.53/5  rDev -6.3%

A- Pale golden, straw colored even. Weak head.
S- Corn, with just a shade of toasted malt. weak smell.
T- The taste is of corn with just a shade of hop flavor.
M- Actually pretty rich and smooth for what it is.
D- This beer is just unimpressive. And is it really a blonde ale?

jsprain1, Jul 06, 2010
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a yellow pale color, not much carbonation, small head, not much lacing afterwards. Scents of sweet malts and citrus. The taste is kinda tangy and bland, not much of an aftertaste. Light-Medium body. Drinkable I guess, but not by much. For a macro it's not bad though.

Wasatch, Jan 22, 2006
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Well...this was 'the best' beer they had on the menu at a place we went. Yeah I could have had water, but as a BA I thought: what the heck. Since I poured it myself, I got a beer that was medium pale gold in color, buh no real head to speak of. I was dazzled at all the bubbles rising, but not so impressed by them when drinking. My notes next to aroma say: ? which leads me to think there wasn't that much at all. Medium mouthfeel, but I must say the taste isn't all that: there's some sweetness and jelly-candy notes, but over-all I would have to say it came across as very watery.

PatandDavid, Jul 03, 2004
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Despite my ratings i drink Molson prodcuts as often as i can beacsue i enjoy them personally. I do realize this isnt the best beer, in fact far from it but I enjoy the easyness of it and the fact that i can have plenty and not feel full. Its very pale, and taste similar to molson canadian exept with some more malt to it.

JoEBoBpr, Oct 26, 2005
2.53/5  rDev -6.3%

pours out a clear darkish "golden" color...moderate head and a bit of lace. strong corn aromas....and a hint of floral hoppiness. sort of strange tasting....a dirty...or earthy maltiness....some adjuncts....a slight hop crispness in the finish. all this is propped up by a rather smooth and creamy mouthfeel that seems to be the only highly redeeming quality to this beer. not really impressed, and i clearly prefer the "canadian" molson over the "golden" counterpart.

budgood1, Feb 21, 2003
2.55/5  rDev -5.6%

Served in the 12 oz. bottle, into a small beer glass. The color was golden, with a very slight head. The smell was a VERY light maltiness. The taste was a drier malt with a bit of adjunct off-taste, and a very light hop at the end. Mouthfeel was average. As for drinkability, maybe another on a hotter day.

Nothing much to write home about. A lawnmower beer at best that's priced too high compared to others. Certainly not something that I'd seek out again.

beergeek279, Feb 14, 2004
2.55/5  rDev -5.6%

My dad likes this beer, which is more of an indictment than an endorsement. Pours a dark yellow with some good head retention due to high carbonation. Has that typical grainy, adjunct smell, but it is light and not pungent like other cheap beers. Pale and dry, this tastes like a really generic beer/really cheap pils. Guess that minimal hop bite/dryness on the backbite makes it a "beer" rather than watery piss. I can't even see drinking this while eat hot wings or pizza during a hockey game when there's Labatt's or, excuse me, REAL beer.

clayrock81, Sep 12, 2008
2.56/5  rDev -5.2%

PrendUnVerreDeBiere, Aug 19, 2014
2.58/5  rDev -4.4%

Had a green bottle at Italiano Delight in Emmaus, PA. The bartender set it down with a frosted mug. Upon pouring the beer the a cloud of skunk hit the air. Man, this was bad, especially for a beer that was just in a cooler under a bar. Eventually the skunk cleared and I was left with a plain, light amber ale with a bready sweetness and not a lot of much else. Easy drinking, skunk aside.

tempest, May 22, 2009
2.58/5  rDev -4.4%

and the quest to get the worst continues on. doing traveling most of this week, but managed to spot this one in a local bilo. served cold and poured into a pint glass, consumed on 08/18/2010.

actually a decent pour with a pale golden yellow that was simply loaded with carbonation. a nice head of white capped it off and reached a height of around two inches.

light aroma, mostly light grain and hints of corn. slight grassy hops, but very very light. this carried right over in the flavor which was again far too light for my tastes, but what can you do. small hop presence in the finish and a light cereal grain balance. nice feel, was not too light at all and overall not a terrible expierence by any means.

mikesgroove, Aug 19, 2010
2.58/5  rDev -4.4%

A - Typical golden/straw, perfectly clear. Not a lot of head or lacing to be found.

S - Smells quite sweet, almost corn sugar-ish, like most Canadian lagers, no hop presence .

T - I don't know if my batch was bad (it was dated a month before it was to expire) but it had kind of a skunky/tinny aftertaste, almost like a sour pilsner. Quite weird/interesting but it got better the more I drank it. Other than that it was pretty smooth, not a lot of body obviously.

M/D - Very light on the palate, just enough carbonation. Easy to drink for the most part.

Given the price I'm gonna go with Moosehead or LaBatt from here on out.

VaTechHopHead, Dec 15, 2008

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Poured a golden yellow color less than a fingers worth of head that settle quickly to a ring with spotty lacing.

S: I'm getting a little sweet smelling malt then a light hops, not much else.

T: Tastes a lot like the smell... nice sweet malt upfront that lightens through the mid palette and finishes with a very light hops... Very little aftertaste.

M: Light bodied with a very crisp and refreshing carbonation.

D: A very drinkable beer, good ABV so you could drink a few.... But there is just not enough taste to make it really worth while. It is just a beer.

mralphabet, Oct 21, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -4.4%

This beer it's a good social brew. There isn't too many charactoristics that can be described on this. The beer is light in color, golden like the label says. The nose has some skunk on it but not enough to gross me out. The beer has a good drinkablity to it. Not a lot of head but overall it's decent.

Knapp85, Apr 01, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -4.4%

Hey. More free beer! A guy bought a case for a going away party at work. It went well with the pizza, but then pizza and any cheap beer usually work.
The beer is pale golden straw colored with a medium-sized, white, frothy head that was mostly gone before the first sip. The smell was a little stinky of corn and hay. The taste is bland, a slight malty sweetness and a tiny bitterness toward the finish. Thin body, watery texture, lively carbonation. Yes, I enjoyed it, but I think it was just due to the fact that it was really cold, and I got to drink at work, not because of the beer’s characteristics.

ski271, Mar 22, 2005
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This was the Fire Sale at the Flying Saucer last night. It poured a very clear light straw. An overall fine LOOKING beer. To bad I was not painting a picture but rather drinking a beer. The aroma was nill. The taste was similar to Coors (that is none) The mouthfeel was very light. This beer does not have much to recommend it. It was not bad so if you are with someone who wants to switch from Coors, maybe suggest this one, but other than that, skip it.

LarryKemp, May 22, 2003
2.6/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. green bottle.Pours a light golden color with a thick white fluffy head. Lots of bubbles streaming rapidly from the bottom of the glass. Pretty good head retention, and a fair amount of lace. Skunky and slight grainy aroma, combined with a hint of floral hops. Very pale malt flavor, smooth and just a slight amount of hop bitterness. Not much really going on here. Light body, high carbonation. Overall, not very exciting at all. Could be refreshing ice cold, but so is water.

Bierguy5, Jan 16, 2005
2.6/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

blahh just a bland beer with a slightly slightly sweet aftertaste. After enjoying the craftwork of Bill and Ron at Victory--materialized in the art that is Golden Monkey, I can say this...This isn't a beer, but sadly in comparison of many macros this is a good macro, which is why in the grand scheme of things i rated it as only "a little below average".

allboutbierge, Oct 27, 2002
2.63/5  rDev -2.6%

Oh well, even I succumb to the calling of the macro sirens, been its been almost 4 years since I’ve had one of these, and my local “Beer Palace” carries them on occasion so I weakened and purchased one.

The beer after departing the green bottle sets in the glass a limpid gold color with a moderate sized white head that is somewhat creamy in texture with the lace forming a tight curtain to drape the glass. Nose is all malt; fresh and crisp, start is sweet and decently malted the top skinny in its feel to the palate. Finish is moderately carbonated, the hops adequately spicy, dry aftertaste, and I see I’ve not missed much over the last 4 years!

Gusler, Jul 23, 2004
2.63/5  rDev -2.6%

This was one of my parents' favorite beers when i was growing up. Still cheap and drinkable after all these years. Pours its name with no head, lace, or frills at all. Light, corny nose with a touch of grassy fruit.

Tastes like macro town although a little svelter and less clumsy than the American versions. Thin but not too watery in the mouth. Easy to drink and uncomplicated, but not completely lacking soul.

daliandragon, Sep 18, 2010