Molson Golden - Molson Coors Canada

Molson Coors Canada visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2001

A smooth, mellow beer of moderate sweetness, not too bitter and slightly malty.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Molson Golden Alström Bros
Ratings: 590 | Reviews: 217
2.44/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Alsa, sweet Molson, for I have loved you unconditionally, why must you treat me this way?

Molson Canadian has long been a favorite macro of mine, why does the ale have to be sub par?

Pours a straw yellow with a half inch head if poured furiously. The aroma reeked of skunk and the taste was bitter, not in a good way. there is no trace of hops only corn and grains that we here on BA like to call adjuncts.

No more of ths for me.

2.45/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

I am a bit surprised to see this beer classified as a Blonde Ale. Though it has a sweeter fruitier side, it does still drink like an American style Lager.

The beer pours with a strong straw color, bright clarity, airy yet froathy head, fair retainage, and light on lacing. Par for the course I guess.

Aromas are predominantly of pilsner malt with raw grain scents and with pungent European hops giving a big earthy, nearly skunk character.

Flavors of sweet grains are much more than I expected; not all malt, maybe additions of corn or rice are lingering on the palate. Hops give light flavors and bitterness but no where matches the character found in the nose. Pears, apples, and light mangos give a fruity note that amplifies the sweetness, but this could be attributed to aged ester character.

The body is a bit more full because of the impressions from sweetness and more moderate carbonation. Sometimes seemingly a bit too heavy to drink easily.

In the end, the beer fares about as well as Budweiser- where we are giving up on crispness and cleanliness we are adding fruity complexity and slightly more maltiness.

2.48/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Why? Sometimes, with beers like this, I just don't know anymore.

I'm not surprised by the pale so called straw-yellow look, or by the fizz and the weak, thin foam it forms. What does surprise me is that any lace of any kind exists at all, but some tiny, sparsely deposited spotting is there nonetheless.
There's very little to the nose. There's corn husk and a slightly sulfuric (not skunky) vegetal note. There's also grass. What is that, hops? Hope yet lives.
A bit sweeter on the tongue, it does have some substance yet. It's just not much. Still corn, vegetation, grains, and a bit of fruit are better than some things offered by this type of beer.
Sometimes note having a terribly thin, watery body can be a detractor for this style. Odd, I know. But this beer has a thickness and a certain slickness that's worse than if it had a weaker body, though it is light regardless. It's sort of a clash on the palate, though a bite of crispness cuts through it some.

2.48/5  rDev -7.8%

Eek, this is beer is like the dude at work who is a nice guy, but never has anything relevant to say and after being around the guy for more than 5 minutes, they start to get progressively annoying

appearance: a bright gold color accompanies this beer. a foamey head about an inch thick appeared after i pured it, but it quickly dissapeared into a dissapointing lace. this beer's appearance is a bit below average, which is par for the course for this beer

smell: like a typical, mass produced, american/canadian ale. the scent contains hints of steamed veggies. the scent of this beer has a clean feel to it.

taste: im dissapointed with the taste. tastes like a slightly higher quality olde english minus the malty feel. the beer has such an average taste, but unlike unlike other average beers like bud, coors, etc., this beer is neither crisp nor refreshing. it leaves a slight, but irritating, corn tasting residue in your mouth. left me feeling a bit parched, despite the fact that i just had a glass of water a bit ago.

mouthfeel: non existent really. no hoppiness, no spice, no crispness, no nothing. very weak.

drinkability: hmmm....due to its blandness and low alcohol content, this beer does go down without too many qualms, but the soulessness of this beer becomes obnoxious after like a half a beer, making a person want to get a beer thats not molson golden. this is a beer i am going to try to avoid

2.5/5  rDev -7.1%

This has potential as a Pilsner like maltiness meets a rye like grain flavor meets slight bitterness and cracker dryness. It has a real ease of drinkability and it's not too harsh, rather crisp actually. There's just a weakness and a lack of assertiveness that ranks it below average.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Aroma of cereal, grass, corn, leaves, corn, malt. Taste sweet corn, malt, biscuit, caramel, grains. Ok Pale!

not again.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

OK but just a consumption beer for me

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I tried this beer during the early 80s when they launched a large Canadian campaign to get beer drinkers drinking Golden again. The campaign did nothing more than make fun of the beer's name (Moslen Godlen, Molden Golson, etc). This was also the brand featured on all The Molson's commercials.

Sadly, this beer is no longer part of Molson Canada's lineup (as per their website).

Anyway, the last time I tried this, the beer was golden in colour with almost no head. The aroma was weak with a grassy tinge to it. It was very crisp and clear on the tongue with weak carbonation. The taste was also weak, not watery, but not very beer-y either.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from the green bottle into a pint glass to produce a 1/2" head of pure white loose foam. The liquid is a pale orangy/yellow. The head dissipated immediately to a thin ring leaving no lacing behind.

The smell had a spicy malt scent that I didn't find too appealing.

The taste: Unique... I'll say that.... but not too pleasant. How to describe....hmmm.... a spicey sweetness (is that corn?) with a slight hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: too thin for my taste... too carbonated... too fizzy.

Drinkability.... this is my wife's beer of choice.... I'll leave the rest for her...

2.51/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Initially, I was a fan of Molson brews. They were one of my bridge beers that got me into exploring the ever expanding craft beer industry. (I know it is not a craft beer) However, I have not had this beer since I was young with my Dad and I cannot wait to review it.

Appearance- Totally see through with many carbonation bubbles. It has color that has a light yellow/straw or even "Golden" hue to it. With a fierce poor a two fingered pure white head was present and lasted about two minutes before disappearing into a thin skin of foam on the surface. As I finished it lacing does say on the glass just a bit.

Smell- With the initial whiff, I really only smell corn and rice. With the second smell, I really detect a sweet grain to this beer. Really, I was expecting a bit better smell; clearly there was not any adventure in brewing this mass marketed beer.

Taste- With the first hit of the palate I am getting an overwhelming corn and grain taste. It leaves a skunky aftertaste as well even with the first gulp. With the second taste, I gather even more corn; you can really make out the natural sweetness of corn in this brew.

Mouthfeel- Molson Golden mouthfeel is definitely better than other mass marketed beers. Without a doubt it is not "as" watery as others. For being so light in color, the body of this beer is heavier than I presumed but still very very light.

Overall- Disappointed. I was not expecting a whole lot however the earthiness of the beer dominated its entire presence. This is the definition of a chugging beer, because you do NOT want to just sip on it. I would recommend this as a lawn mower beer or when you invite your buddies over for the big game. This is not a one of a kind brew. CHEERS!

2.52/5  rDev -6.3%

A- Pale golden, straw colored even. Weak head.
S- Corn, with just a shade of toasted malt. weak smell.
T- The taste is of corn with just a shade of hop flavor.
M- Actually pretty rich and smooth for what it is.
D- This beer is just unimpressive. And is it really a blonde ale?

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a yellow pale color, not much carbonation, small head, not much lacing afterwards. Scents of sweet malts and citrus. The taste is kinda tangy and bland, not much of an aftertaste. Light-Medium body. Drinkable I guess, but not by much. For a macro it's not bad though.

2.53/5  rDev -5.9%

Served in the 12 oz. bottle, into a small beer glass. The color was golden, with a very slight head. The smell was a VERY light maltiness. The taste was a drier malt with a bit of adjunct off-taste, and a very light hop at the end. Mouthfeel was average. As for drinkability, maybe another on a hotter day.

Nothing much to write home about. A lawnmower beer at best that's priced too high compared to others. Certainly not something that I'd seek out again.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Well...this was 'the best' beer they had on the menu at a place we went. Yeah I could have had water, but as a BA I thought: what the heck. Since I poured it myself, I got a beer that was medium pale gold in color, buh no real head to speak of. I was dazzled at all the bubbles rising, but not so impressed by them when drinking. My notes next to aroma say: ? which leads me to think there wasn't that much at all. Medium mouthfeel, but I must say the taste isn't all that: there's some sweetness and jelly-candy notes, but over-all I would have to say it came across as very watery.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Despite my ratings i drink Molson prodcuts as often as i can beacsue i enjoy them personally. I do realize this isnt the best beer, in fact far from it but I enjoy the easyness of it and the fact that i can have plenty and not feel full. Its very pale, and taste similar to molson canadian exept with some more malt to it.

2.56/5  rDev -4.8%

Had a green bottle at Italiano Delight in Emmaus, PA. The bartender set it down with a frosted mug. Upon pouring the beer the a cloud of skunk hit the air. Man, this was bad, especially for a beer that was just in a cooler under a bar. Eventually the skunk cleared and I was left with a plain, light amber ale with a bready sweetness and not a lot of much else. Easy drinking, skunk aside.

2.56/5  rDev -4.8%

and the quest to get the worst continues on. doing traveling most of this week, but managed to spot this one in a local bilo. served cold and poured into a pint glass, consumed on 08/18/2010.

actually a decent pour with a pale golden yellow that was simply loaded with carbonation. a nice head of white capped it off and reached a height of around two inches.

light aroma, mostly light grain and hints of corn. slight grassy hops, but very very light. this carried right over in the flavor which was again far too light for my tastes, but what can you do. small hop presence in the finish and a light cereal grain balance. nice feel, was not too light at all and overall not a terrible expierence by any means.

2.56/5  rDev -4.8%

pours out a clear darkish "golden" color...moderate head and a bit of lace. strong corn aromas....and a hint of floral hoppiness. sort of strange tasting....a dirty...or earthy maltiness....some adjuncts....a slight hop crispness in the finish. all this is propped up by a rather smooth and creamy mouthfeel that seems to be the only highly redeeming quality to this beer. not really impressed, and i clearly prefer the "canadian" molson over the "golden" counterpart.

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Poured a golden yellow color less than a fingers worth of head that settle quickly to a ring with spotty lacing.

S: I'm getting a little sweet smelling malt then a light hops, not much else.

T: Tastes a lot like the smell... nice sweet malt upfront that lightens through the mid palette and finishes with a very light hops... Very little aftertaste.

M: Light bodied with a very crisp and refreshing carbonation.

D: A very drinkable beer, good ABV so you could drink a few.... But there is just not enough taste to make it really worth while. It is just a beer.

2.58/5  rDev -4.1%

My dad likes this beer, which is more of an indictment than an endorsement. Pours a dark yellow with some good head retention due to high carbonation. Has that typical grainy, adjunct smell, but it is light and not pungent like other cheap beers. Pale and dry, this tastes like a really generic beer/really cheap pils. Guess that minimal hop bite/dryness on the backbite makes it a "beer" rather than watery piss. I can't even see drinking this while eat hot wings or pizza during a hockey game when there's Labatt's or, excuse me, REAL beer.

2.58/5  rDev -4.1%

This beer it's a good social brew. There isn't too many charactoristics that can be described on this. The beer is light in color, golden like the label says. The nose has some skunk on it but not enough to gross me out. The beer has a good drinkablity to it. Not a lot of head but overall it's decent.

2.58/5  rDev -4.1%

Hey. More free beer! A guy bought a case for a going away party at work. It went well with the pizza, but then pizza and any cheap beer usually work.
The beer is pale golden straw colored with a medium-sized, white, frothy head that was mostly gone before the first sip. The smell was a little stinky of corn and hay. The taste is bland, a slight malty sweetness and a tiny bitterness toward the finish. Thin body, watery texture, lively carbonation. Yes, I enjoyed it, but I think it was just due to the fact that it was really cold, and I got to drink at work, not because of the beer’s characteristics.

2.59/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This was the Fire Sale at the Flying Saucer last night. It poured a very clear light straw. An overall fine LOOKING beer. To bad I was not painting a picture but rather drinking a beer. The aroma was nill. The taste was similar to Coors (that is none) The mouthfeel was very light. This beer does not have much to recommend it. It was not bad so if you are with someone who wants to switch from Coors, maybe suggest this one, but other than that, skip it.

2.6/5  rDev -3.3%

A - Typical golden/straw, perfectly clear. Not a lot of head or lacing to be found.

S - Smells quite sweet, almost corn sugar-ish, like most Canadian lagers, no hop presence .

T - I don't know if my batch was bad (it was dated a month before it was to expire) but it had kind of a skunky/tinny aftertaste, almost like a sour pilsner. Quite weird/interesting but it got better the more I drank it. Other than that it was pretty smooth, not a lot of body obviously.

M/D - Very light on the palate, just enough carbonation. Easy to drink for the most part.

Given the price I'm gonna go with Moosehead or LaBatt from here on out.

Molson Golden from Molson Coors Canada