Bohemian - Molson Coors Canada

Molson Coors Canada visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: pootz on 10-11-2003

Bohemian lager has been refreshing drinkers for over 75 years with its smooth and easy drinking taste.
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
2.08/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

Had this one with my in-laws at New Year's.

3.25/5  rDev +14.4%

3.03/5  rDev +6.7%

341 mL bottle pulled from a two-four picked up at the Beer Store; another one of those somewhat obscure macro lager labels that only seems to be available in that format (at least outside of SK, which is the only place I've ever seen anyone else actually buy the stuff). Served well-chilled.

This one pours a familiar, clear pale golden-yellow colour, topped at first with two fingers of soapy, fizzy white head that evaporates over the next minute or so. A thin cap and narrow collar remain, with little in the way of lacing left behind. Looks fine I suppose, but there's nothing favourable to report about the aroma. Typical adjunct lager tropes - corn husk, grainy pale malts and corn sugar. Not very inspiring, but it's not like I've had any other adjunct lagers that managed to draw me in with their pleasing, complex bouquet.

More of the same in the flavour. Corn is the most prominent facet, but to be honest it's so fizzy and watery that I can't really construe the flavour as being all that unpalatable. Other than the corn chip/syrup notes, grainy pale malts and a welcome bready flavour come through. I am not picking up any semblance of hop notes, with the sip finishing on a corn sugar-and-cardboard flavour. Quite light-bodied and watery, with a fizzy mouthfeel that is likely to contribute to bloat as the night goes on. There are a few things wrong with this brew, but in the grand scheme of things *I can drink this* and it's far from the worst thing Molson has ever plopped onto the shelves.

Final Grade: 3.03, a C grade. Molson's Bohemian is a drinkable lager when served ice cold, but I might as well leave it at that because there's not much else to say. This is a bland, tolerable regional lager along the lines of the venerable Old Style Pilsner, or perhaps OV or Brewhouse - boring lagers guaranteed not to frighten off macro drinkers, and probably capable of drawing in a few prairie transplants or others under the influence of nostalgia. But ultimately, this brew possesses no features capable of enticing your typical craft beer drinker, and its strongest suit is probably the price point - $30 for a 24 is about as cheap as it gets in this province. Boh is a justifiable choice as far as value brand beers go, but I still say Upper Canada is the best bang for your buck if you want a case of something fizzy and yella to drink all weekend.

4.75/5  rDev +67.3%

2.95/5  rDev +3.9%

341ml bottle. Another re-entry into the Alberta market for the big boys - and once again, it looks like they're still clearing out old label stock - the Molson brewery in Edmonton has been closed for 5 years or so, eh?

This beer pours a clear, pale golden yellow colour, with one finger of temporal fizzy white head, which is gone the next moment I appraise the glass, at which time I also can discern a disturbing lack of anything resembling lace.

It smells of sweet, almost sugary adjunct grain malt, more glycerol than bakery-bred, a slight fruity phenolic tang, and very mild musty, earthy hops. The taste is plain, semi-sweet fruity grain, more barley-esque than I have been thus far led to believe, with some dry rice notes, tamed and broken earthy hops, and a very ethereal plastic character.

The bubbles are fairly lulling, lackadaisical, even, the body medium weight, remarkable only for the style, the smoothness equally qualified. It finishes quite clean, a smidgeon off-dry, and just a bit grainy.

Huh. Of all the Canadian analogues that Molson has churned out over the years, this one may very well be the best of a dubious class - easy enough to drink, no common flaws, innocuous. Plain, too, but that's not always a bad thing.

2.73/5  rDev -3.9%

341ml bottle poured into pint glass 24/2/12

A clear straw yellow with a short lived thumbs width of foam that falls fast and leaves no lace, looks like a macro lager

S some sweet bready malt with some faint hops, not much going on but doesn't smell bad

T a little rice cake and a faint chemical flavor that's hard to place but not overly offensive, more of nothing really just another bland lager

M light bodied, well carbonated with a clean finish,

O yet another basic macro, at least this one didn't offend me like many of them, just not much going on

I feel like I'm starting to sound like a broken record lately, I'm not sure if its me or all the plain old macros I've been reviewing. I gotta go find some interesting brews see ya later

2.5/5  rDev -12%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I didn't recognize this, so gave it a try. Pours pale straw yellow with fizzy white head. Smells grainy, some mild bready malt. No hops at all really. Quite mild taste, nothing off, just almost nothing there. Too much carbonation for my preference. I don't plan to drink again.

3.55/5  rDev +25%

A- Pours like any standard macro lager, with a very clear yellowish golden color. The head is actually impressive, starting out thick and full...cloudy white in color. It eventually settles to a frothy layer over the brew itself. The lacing is actually quite good, with lots of small patches sticking to the side of my glass. The carbonation looks to be of big bubbles, but there isn't as much rising as I expected to see. Decent looking for sure!

S- This is much more malty and of fruit than I would expect, and by fruit, I smell some overripe apple. The sweetness is very dominant and is closely followed by yeasty undertones. After this, the grainy adjuncts come through, but they are definitely secondary. I don't smell any real hop dryness on the finish...just a note....as this warms up, a metallic note starts to rear it's ugly head.

T- It actually isn't too bad! Aside from being very adjunct-ish and full of corn grits, the malt is quite forthcoming....I think it does a decent job of covering up the bland, graininess of this macro style beer. The finish has a slight dryness, but isn't bitter, while the lingering flavors are of syrupy sweetener.

M- This beer is, as expected, thin and watery. The carbonation isn't super bad however, but still does the job as far as keeping this a clean crisp brew.

D- Well this is easy enough to drink and for what I paid, I agree, this is a great bargain beer! It's unoffensive, the carbonation isn't overpowering and actually has some flavor. I will pick more of this up next time I make the short drive into Saskatchewan, and keep it on hand as a decent brew to share with company!

3.9/5  rDev +37.3%

being a good saskatchewan boy this is my drink everywhere beer I can order this in any bar I go to, its chepo beer outside the bar but I prefer it from draft, very fruity earhty hoppy taste and with a bite best served well chilled but as any boh drinker knows that temp doesn't change the taste of this beer, comes out an reddish yellow very little head has a very inviting smell and is very drinkable

2.65/5  rDev -6.7%

Lately I've been drinking a lot of good beer. I was at a friends house the other night and saw he had some "Boh". I figured it was time to drink a cheapo macro.

A - I drank it out of the bottle, so I'm giving it a 3 because I figure that's a safe bet. It probably has a cle light straw colour that forms a vigorous but short lived head, with bright sparkling carbonation

S - Non-existent. Slightly metallic and earthy would be the closest description I can think of.

T - It's club soda. I can't identify these flavours. There's a mild sweetness, some earthy tones I guess. It's not offensive though. Not at all. It just isn't much of anything.

M - Nice full carbonation makes it lively in the mouth and helps a bit with the lack of flavour. It's light.

D - I could down these all night if I had too. I guess that's the point.

Notes: I guess it is what it's supposed to be. But what it's supposed to be is expected to be the bottom of the barrel. This beer does a great job of being not offensive. That doesn't mean it doesn't suck, just that it won't offend you.

4.6/5  rDev +62%

This is a cheapie I've wanted to try for a long time. So i finally picked up a 12 pack.

Pours out like every other macro, intense carbonation and a decent head i guess.

Smell is like every other molson beer, smells extremely fresh and inviting.

Taste is perfect, when your looking for an easy going cheap lager this is PERFECT. Goes down extremely smooth, with a nice bitter finish, a bit sweet, but other wise perfect.

Mouthfeel was better than the average macro, it was full and thick, and i was really surprised about that, considering its brewed by molson.

This beer is perfect for a hot day, when you need a thirst quencher, i highly recommend this, its damn good! In the terrible discount section of the beer store, this stands out. Highly recommended.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »