Molson Export - Molson Coors Canada

Molson Coors Canada visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Blonde Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-11-2001

With over 100 years of brewing tradition behind it, Molson Export continues to grow in lore. Its history, however, could never be as rich without the original, high-quality ingredients that have come to distinguish it from other brands.

We brew Molson Export with two-row barley, an exclusive strain of ale yeast that goes back to the origins of Molson Breweries, hand-selected Golding and Oregon hops and water.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Molson Export Alström Bros
4.75/5  rDev +57.3%

This is my #1 favorite beer, second being molson canadian, third being labbatt's blue. I love this beer, it is the greatest beer I've ever had. I love this beer cold with a hot pizza on a sunny new york summer day. Has a great frothy head, and pours a nice golden color. BEST BEER EVER! Highly recommended.

4.02/5  rDev +33.1%

Head: Average milky white no taste.
Body: Smooth , good brownish tint to the golden color.
Taste: Small hoppy taste light malt flavor.
No nasty skunk aftertaste.

The best thing to come out of Canada since ice hockey!

I had Molson Ex on tap in Montreal and Quebec City pubs. The head disipates on this beer pretty quickly. If I'm feeling like a light Ale that is "drinkable" this is the beer for me. Mouthfeel is refreshing and the taste is much better than your average macro as the quick but potent hoppy aftertaste you get with this beer is what I like about it. It's what Molson's chief macro beer, Canadian, should taste like.

3.96/5  rDev +31.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 11.5oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: It has a pale golden color body with visible carbonation and very good clarity. On top there is a bright white foamy head that makes some nice lacing patterns on the glass. It also has good retention as it slowly fades to thinner covering that hangs on until the last sip.

Smell: The aroma is light overall. It has a sweet grainy character with a touch of corn husk and a hint of alcohol.

Taste/Mouth feel: It has a crisp light cereal grain flavor with very clean or neutral hops that just enough bitterness for balance. Its palate is light to medium bodied with a lively texture and carbonation. The finish is crisp, clean and refreshing.

Notes: This is one of my favorite beers from the big breweries. It's always good on a hot summer day and also makes for a good hockey watching beer.

3.93/5  rDev +30.1%

Molson Export has been my staple since I was in grade 11 (now out of university) This is a man's beer pure and simple. This is the best fall-back beer at a bar when they don't serve what you like.

Out of all the molson products, Export has the most flavour and tastes the best. Starts of smooth with a smell of raw hops ending with a sharp bitter hop finish, a classic finish thats been around for a long time. The hop finish is truly the best part of this beer. Canadian, Blue, Corona, Miller... has nothing on Export in terms of flavour.

I remember the day back in early high school when I used to wear my Molson Ex hat, my Chem teacher came up to me and said...you know what they call Export?..I looked at him with confusion and he says " the armmedillo beer"...I figured it out later...when you turn the ship sideways, you see an armedillo. Anyways, this beer has prestige and hertiage over the past 100 years, the same taste and the same classic export finish.

3.91/5  rDev +29.5%

The old standby. Without Molson Export there is no way I would have been able to get my masters done. When I lived in Albany, NY I first discovered this beer while broke and thirsty. While not the best beer in the world by any strech it is however IMO the best beer for one on a budget. Nice golden color but not much head and it quickly disipates. Nice flavor with some actual taste. No mistaking this for water. What really sells this beer for me is drinkability and price.

3.76/5  rDev +24.5%

A friend brought this over fresh from the duty free shop. It had a nice color and a good old fashioned beer flavor. It was refreshing,but not too light. I'm sure the freshness was a factor. I liked this beer better than regular Molson Canadian. I would recommend trying this beer.

3.73/5  rDev +23.5%

Molson Ex, one of my favorite beers and probably the one I've consumed the most of in my life, largely attributed to my days at the factory way back when (Miss those stubby bottles).

This is definitely Molson's finest product in my opinion, which is saying something because I enjoy most of their products save for the rare misadventure (Molson M).

Nice crisp taste with a hoppy spicy kick. One of my favorite styles of beer and Ex is a premier option. Mouthfeel is prickly and effervescent. My one complaint is the beer's flavor seems to diminish surprisingly quickly, so try to find one with the closest brewed date.

3.67/5  rDev +21.5%

Poured out very pale yellow and transparent, with a bubbly white head that fades quickly. Little lacing.

Smells like light malt and corn, with some caramel and maple tones.

Taste is quite mapley with some sweet caramel backing. Much better than BMC averages.

Mouthfeel is very light and bubbly. Very easy to swish around.

Extremely drinkable. One of the best "bad" beers I've had.

3.63/5  rDev +20.2%

Basic golden beer with an average strength and a few more hops.

The head retention is slightly better than average, and it leaves some nice lace about the glass.

There's a touch of lager yeast sulphur and a very mild fruitiness over its delicate malt. Some non-descript hops are in the mix, but don't stand out on their own.

It tastes, dare I say it, a lot like Budweiser, but with more hops. And the sweetness of the malt is there because there's more malt, not because of fewer hops.

It's medium bodied and gently crisp in the mouth, and it's a little bit more drinkable in comparison with most American macro lagers, as the hops lend it a touch more character. On the other hand, this is a Canadian beer, and there are a lot more Canadian lagers with more hops than this.

3.57/5  rDev +18.2%

This a good pretty good beer for a macro, but it was first made when it was a micro-brewery. It has a great ale color and smells fruity. The taste ia awesome for a macro so i think it is above average. The mouthfeel is like most of the ales. In average it is definetly the best ale you can find everywhere in Canada!

3.57/5  rDev +18.2%

An okay product from Molson. Straw gold colour with a head that dissipates fast, but leaves a nice rim. Lace runs down the glass til finished. Slight spicy taste, mediocre use of hops, some malt. Pretty good beer, but not the best Molson beer. Slightly better on tap, but most beers are.

3.55/5  rDev +17.5%

I can get a 12 pack for under 8 bucks so who complains? And the cap is one of the coolest I have ever seen. Export pours a light straw color with a puffy cumulous head that receded into basically nothing. It smelled pretty bland and swilly, but its taste is somewhat alluring for some reason. Its pretty watery and malty but there is some hop kick at the end. I cannot really explain why I like this beer. Perhaps its because it was what was around the house when I was growing up. Who knows? Anyway if you want to drink reasonably good beer but only have the money for mass produced this is where its at.

3.5/5  rDev +15.9%

Appearance: Produced a finger of head that did manage to lace and stick around fairly well. The body is a clear gold with some decent carbonation. Nothing of exceptional note, but it seems to be a general, all around good job here.

Smell: Fruity esters and yeasty smells, apples and pears come to mind, but it doesn't quite hit the nail on the head. There is a nice backing of grain malt to it. Could be a bit stronger though.

Taste: Starts with some light, doughy malt that turns to much more fruity taste with some mild yeast and ends with a dusting of a mixed bag of light hops. It's a nice halfway point between a more flavourful ale and a more generic lager taste.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and clean, and doesn't leave anything in the way of aftertaste. Easy to drink, although the carbonation is a little meek. There is also a very slight clinging plastic feeling I could do without, but it is fairly subdued.

Drinkability: It's a little heavier on the stomach then you would think, but other then that it's easy going down with enough flavour to stay interesting.

Final Thoughts: One of Molson's better offerings, that is for sure. When I was younger, Export wasn't my cup of tea as it seemed to be a lot heavier and hoppier back then, however now, it is a suitable replacement for when only Macros are on tap.

3.5/5  rDev +15.9%

A pretty classic Canadian style golden ale that is much better on tap than it is out of a can or a bottle. It's a shame that you see this in bottles in the U.S.A. but never on draught! This beer pours a wonderful dark golden colour with a crystal clear clarity. This smells of hops and malts in perfect harmony and tastes like more of the same. This tastes more pilsener-y or lager-y to me than an 'Ale' per say but 'a rose by any other name...' you know.
This has a very crisp and full mouthfeel and a superb drinkability to it. IMO this is the best if not one of the best in the Molson line...putting canadian, ice, and golden to shame...

In the bottle this is very close to its tap incarnation. The brown bottles really help the beer from getting messed up!

3.49/5  rDev +15.6%

A: A Light, dull yellow. Thin white head with a bit of lacing. Nice bit of carbonation.

S: A yeasty nose with just a bit of malt.

T: A crisp light sweetness with just a touch of bitterness.

M: Lighter to medium bodied, impressively so given the light color. Crisp and well carbonated.

D: One goes down as easily as five. A nice addition to Molson's lineup. In the typical sea of lagers, I would order this APA if I saw it.

I was actually impressed to see an APA come out of Molson Brewing. Not my favorite, but a valiant effort consistent with the albeit open ended APA style.

3.48/5  rDev +15.2%

I have not tried this product for many years, never having been a Molson fan.....but I gotta tell ya I was impressed at my latest test. Maybe they have changed, maybe I have....but the appearence is what this ale is all about, as is the taste. Well balanced, nice colouring and the absence of a nasty after taste.
Crisp and clean with a body in the medium range and a head that retains its own character. I am now a fan!

3.48/5  rDev +15.2%

Quaffed 7 of these during the Seahawks game last night with some buds, who graciously brought a case of this into my home. Needless to say, while playing cards and watching football, beer is more of an added constituent than something to sit back and ponder the finer points of the beer you are drinking. That being said, this is a decent brew from Molson, the first of which I cannot find something horribly awry with. Standard straw golden color, white head. Not much of anything but some pale malt and slight hop twang. Very refreshing though. Goes down easily in mass quantities....and for this occasion, this is good.

3.48/5  rDev +15.2%

Serving type: an almost 1 liter (.9?? ml) can from an Esso station in Montreal.

Appearance: Deep gold color, with a healthy head that left some lacing on the glass.

Smell: mostly clean, some alcohol, some malt.

Taste: Dry with a malt and chemical sweetness, faint hops, clean finish.

Mouthfeel: light to medium body, crisp and fairly refreshing, some carbonation.

Drinkability: This is a beer to get your drunk on, and with a few liter cans it's pretty easy to accomplish. And it's not that bad tasting a beer while you wait for the alcohol to hit your brain.

3.46/5  rDev +14.6%

Molson Ex was the first 24 pack I bought (when I was still "never thinking to have my id on me today". My taste have changed and I don't really appreciate it no more for a drinking night. I will make an exception for that review time. The appearance is quite good, but its smell is just too chemical / adjunct for me. Molson Ex taste is pretty sweet and fruity. A good bitter hops taste follows it and it is probably the most classic aftertaste you can get from a Molson macro. Drinkability: Average, but very good for an adjunct macro.

3.45/5  rDev +14.2%

Ah ... Molson Ex, “Depuis mille neuf cent trois”! I love this stuff. Is it the best Export? Probably not, but I've got lots of memories with this brand back in Quebec! Not sure if it’s true or separatist legend, but many Quebecers say that Molson Ex and Molson Canadian are the same beer. They serve Molson Ex in QC so as not to offend the Quebequois by calling them or their beer “Canadian”.
Pours a beautiful golden pale with a very light head. Not much lace, if any, as it goes down the glass. The nose is not much to write home about either, though there are some light hop notes ... which says something for a macro!
The hops hit your mouth steadily and there is the export style dry/bitter finish. It's quite a refreshing beer.
The mouthfeel is a bit watery, though typical for this style IMO.
Overall, it goes down smooth and has enough flavor to enjoy. One can tell it's a macro, but one can also see that it has a bit more flavor than most "run of the mill" beers. It could be nostalgia, it might be the taste, heck, it's probably a little bit of both! But I love this beer!! It's tough to buy in the states unless you find yourself up North. Very easy to find in Maine, NH, and VT. Anywhere else ... good luck. If you see it, grab a six of the "red cap", steam up some lobsters or grab a fresh basket of "poutine" and enjoy!!

3.43/5  rDev +13.6%

As a newbie to BA, I will admit that this is my current "cheap" beer of choice. That said, it's very drinkable.

Ex pours a nice golden color, and doesn't lose a head too quickly. There are always suds floating when I finish a glass.

I much perfer its flavor over Molson Golden or Canadian, and would describe Ex as bittersweet, with a mild malt flavor and nothing too pronounced in the way of hops. Even though it's a macrobrew and nothing fancy, it is an ale so I normally drink it at 65-70 degrees.

It would be very easy to put away a couple too many of these on a summer evening, especially with sale prices here sometimes reaching as low as $10 a case.

It's too bad that Ex isn't available in locations which aren't so close to Canada; it's a fine product for the dollar and puts most macros to shame.

3.41/5  rDev +12.9%

Presentation: 11.5 oz brown twist off bottle, no freshness date to be found. 11.5 oz bottle, so for every case you buy that is about one 12 ounce bottle of beer missing.

Appearance: Clear pale dull bronze colour, good lacing off of the two fingered head.

Smell: Faint yet odd fruity alcohol aroma, clean is where it is at.

Taste: Super crisp and smooth off of the moderate body, thin on the malt with a dry dextrin on the palate. Hops are level with the thinness of the malt and add a nearly tasteless bitterness. Finishes clean with a slight ale twang in the back.

Notes: Very easy drinking, no off flavours yet don’t expect any flavours to impress either. At $5.89 a six pack there is better and cheaper beer out there.

3.39/5  rDev +12.3%

I was very surprised to see this in the states, especially here in Gardiner. It's all over the place in Canada, but I've never seen it here... Very light yellow, clear body with half inch offwhite head. Light scent of malt and alcohol. Similar to a macro lager. Slightly above-average mouthfeel, Tastes somewhat watery, somewhat sweet with a noticeable hop presence. Not the tastiest beer I've ever had, but surprisingly tasty for what it is and definitely one of the best macros I've had. Having said that, it's a bit more watery than I'd like. If the flavors were turned up a bit, it'd be a very good beer. I'd drink this again.

3.38/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a pale/yellow color with medium head that dissapated fast,a light spiciness in the smell.Taste is pretty straight forward with some hop bitterness in there,nothing complex.Not a great beer but Iam not offended to drink a six pack of this either.

Molson Export from Molson Coors Canada