2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Carling Black Label Big 10% - Molson Coors Canada

Carling Black Label Big 10%Carling Black Label Big 10%

Molson Coors Canada visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Malt Liquor |  10.10% ABV

(Beer added by: Barraclou on 08-01-2005)
View: Beers (53) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 5 | Reviews: 4 | Show All Ratings:
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

2.58/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

40oz of 10.1% ABV powder keg of...AAL? How is this not a malt liquor?

This beer pours a clear pale yellow colour, quite effervescent, with two fingers of creamy white, almost meringue-like head, which stays around for a surprisingly long spell, eventually leaving some streaks of high-cloud lace around the glass - huh. Looks more like a decent beer than most lagers out there. It smells of cooked corn, plastic and sugary alcohol. Uh huh. The taste is sweet, saccharine booze and corn syrup, with maybe some rice pudding huskiness. And there we go. Said alcohol displays a mild warmth, not the heat one would expect from the hard-to-miss label pronouncements. The carbonation, while active-looking, is actually quite mild, the body medium-weight via it's simple sugar solution quality, so tenuously balanced between smooth and cloying. It finishes still obviously sweet, with a mostly overwhelmed drying edge of metallic C020H.

Well, while not something I can in good faith recommend for the flavour, I can't help but marvel somewhat at the sublimated power of this beverage - sweet and boozy, yes, but not near head-shakingly so. One small glass of this is enough, as I can detect the standard drop-off beginning as it warms, and I don't want to know what that translates into at bottle's bottom. That said, I found this fairly easy to drink, as I suppose the hobo I find to relay the last 32 ounces or so to will heartily agree.

05-03-2011 23:36:46 | More by biboergosum
Barraclou

Quebec (Canada)

2.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Here's another dirt cheap beer, but that time it got a very high % in alcohol (10%).

Appearance: It pours a dark reddish brown fluid with some usual white foamy head.

Smell: It smells alcohol and cooked grain.

Taste: It tastes alcohol and grain. It is sorta like a cheap rye or whiskey, if you see what I mean.

Mouthfeel: Its burned a little my palate. It is too carbonated and it lacks more mouthfeel.

Drinkability: My expectations were not really high, but that's the only way to appreciate it. At CAD 4.19 per 1.18L in the Quebec market and having 10% ABV, it is a good source of cheap macro booze, but really not quality craft beer. I know this is obvious, but I wanted to warn you. At your risks.

08-01-2005 04:52:16 | More by Barraclou
Nickademus

Ontario (Canada)

Great stuff. This is a really good beer. I like it, it has that taste in beer that is good. You should try it - It comes in a big bottle!

I had it with some friends, we got so drunk that night, it made it even better. Listen to Metallica when drinking this fast!

03-20-2010 21:15:23 | More by Nickademus
squeezr

This would be a good college hazing choice...This isn't beer, I don't think... Looks like dirty motor oil in the glass, tastes like jailhouse home brew, definitely a beer with some burn factor...I recommend it if you want to get trashed toot sweet but, its not really beer.... I have no idea why I tried this ... Yuck!

01-31-2010 00:29:46 | More by squeezr
Carling Black Label Big 10% from Molson Coors Canada
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.