Rickard's White - Molson Coors Canada

pDev: 20%
Molson Coors Canada visit their website
Ontario, Canada

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

A genuine Belgian-style wheat ale, White holds a depth of flavour. It's brewed with wheat and oats, and is unfiltered to present a natural cloudy appearance. Mild hints of ground coriander with dried orange peel mingle for a light spiciness that ends with a refreshing, smooth finish.

(Beer added by: JOaikido on 02-25-2007)
Reviews by Kloug:

Kloug, Feb 07, 2013

cam477, Jun 20, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +12.9%

Appearance: clear, tan/gold colored, high carbonation, big head

Smell: Belgian spices, coriander, and orange

Taste: Belgian spices, coriander, and orange

Mouthfeel: sweet, smooth, light, and moderately carbonated.

Drinkability: This to me tastes and feels like Blue Moon to a T. It may be slightly more orange. If you like Blue Moon, you will like this one. I could have a couple of these.

tigg924, Jul 27, 2009
3.13/5  rDev +1%

473ml can. The beer pours a hazy yellow color with a white head. The aroma is very heavy on the orange peel with a little bit of coriander mixed in. The beer smells about like a Belgian White should smell. The flavor is pretty similar. I get a lot of wheat and coriander, but the oranges from the aroma seem to have turned into apricots. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Nothing special, but better than I expected.

Mora2000, Nov 27, 2010
2.6/5  rDev -16.1%

Appearance - beers pours with about 2 fingers of head that drops off to some island appearance head. Beer is a pale ale color with some cloudyness. There is a slight amount of carbonation visible.

Smell - very faint smell all together, if you hunt there is a slight orange smell. Hops r well hidden, is there any!

Taste - lacking in the taste department, this is not a good tasting. Any hint of orange can not be tasted and there is just a light beer.

Mouthfeel - some decent carbonation added, but no taste. Same as the tasting, this is a bland beer. Very disappointed.

Drinkability - I mean, I could drink this beer for its ease of access and watery taste. Not something I'd look for again.

Swedes21, Nov 12, 2010
2.38/5  rDev -23.2%

Had this one at a party at a friends place. I am grateful for the beer, so this is the only place where I will criticize this beer.

The beer is model after a belgian white. A weak 1cm head. (The Rickard honey brown had NO head whatsoever). Pale blonde beer that is slightly cloudy, nothing special at all. Taste of artificial orange peel like, with some unflatering wheat like taste in the background. The beer finishes with a harsh tartness and bitterness in the back of the tongue. Not good.

wjimson, Jan 02, 2009

ahugenerd, Dec 16, 2011
2.95/5  rDev -4.8%

Cloudy orange golden body with a bright white head forming thick dwindling quick with speckled lacing. Aroma citrus peel minimal coriander in the nose, the citrus peel smacks you. Flavor unrefined white ale, cloying orange peel bitterness and a flood of coriander that makes you want to lick the ground to get the flavors off the palate. Mouthfeel is medium bodied should be much lighter but the wheat weighs in with some proteins weighing things down a bit, light carbonation doesn't carry the spice very well left with cloying orange peels and spices. Overall a sad interpretation of the Belgian style white ale.

WVbeergeek, Oct 30, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -19.4%

djcreepshow, Dec 06, 2011

downtownbrown, May 21, 2012

MJ63, Oct 26, 2013
3.03/5  rDev -2.3%

20oz pint. If one could title their reviews, it would be rather difficult for me to avoid something like "Blue Moon Over Montreal", or the like. The first time I sat down in a restaurant where I knew that the beer offerings were BMC-only, only to have the waitress rattle off the usual suspects, and end in something called Rickard's White, well, how could I not be persuaded, when she said I should be careful, as this beer is a bit strange, you know, people have been saying things, and all.

A few years on, and the mystery of origin well-resolved, I find myself once again in Molson territory, and this beer arriving on the bar mat in front of me, appearing a hazy medium apricot orange colour, with very little wispy dirty white head, which leaves a low arch of coral reef lace around the glass as things sink away.

It smells of gritty wheat grain, a suggestion of corn kernels, metallic coriander, medicinal citrus, a whiff of slightly underripe banana, and a touch of white pepper. The taste is sugary wheat malt, a touch of caramel sweetness, dry yeast, muddled, neutered (i.e. not spicy at all) coriander, some actual real-seeming orange citrus, and further pithy, uninspired orchard deadfall fruitiness.

The carbonation is fluffy and lightly frothy, the body on the deep low side of medium weight, and mostly smooth, in a placid committee sort of way. It finishes pretty sweet still, the mixed graininess and plain fruitiness combining to push this into cloying territory.

A very so-so, underwhelming representation of a witbier, all the expected points hit, but with low-grade buckshot. Obviously, a fair bit better than the usual offerings from MolsonCoorsInc, should you find yourself stuck in one of their many tied houses. On a final note, please just enjoy the accompanying slice of orange on its own, after downing the damned beer.

biboergosum, Mar 15, 2009
3.53/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured into a mug. Hazy light orange body with a two finger of white head. Head rapidly fades to nothingness leaving no lace behind.

Loads of orange in the aroma. Some lemon and bread as well, but definately in the back seat. The orange is the driver here. It's kind of one-note, but that one-not is very well played.

It tastes the way you'd expect it to after smelling it. Lots of mildly sweet orange with wheat tang in the background. Slightly tart. Swirl it around the mouth gently before swallowing and you get a hint of spice in the aftertaste.

Carbonation is there, but smooth and fine. Light, watery, and very refreshing. I've ordered this by the pitcher in places where nothing else decent was available. Extremely easy to drink, especially in hot weather.

mintjellie, Jul 09, 2009

Griffith, Jan 26, 2014
3.38/5  rDev +9%

Having heard me say I like Belgian wheat beers before, my dad was kind enough to go out to the beer store to pick up a case of this for my coming home from Ireland party. He likes Rickards and thought it was cool to see a Rickard's White. I was ready to go "mmm, that's really nice" for his sake, cause it was a nice thing to do, but it was actually a decent enough beer.

Appearance is to be expected, hazy yellow with a thickish, fast disapearing head. Nice citrussy aroma with a hint of... pineapple, maybe some coconut.

Orange zest comes through in the taste with some noticeable cloves in the spice. Sort of an unpleasant macroish after taste they threw in just incase the beer got too good for Molson's.

Mouth feel is thin, but drinkability is quite high.

A decent attempt at a good beer style by the evil empire of Canadian brewing. I'd drink it again.

CanuckRover, Oct 14, 2007
1.75/5  rDev -43.5%

traumaqueen, Apr 03, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +21%

jcubz, Jul 17, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -19.4%

Ralphs66, Oct 13, 2013
3.63/5  rDev +17.1%

My disparaging review of this beer served on tap at a pub, may have been in haste...

I was given this stuff to try from a bottle now that it is widely available to be bought in 6 packs.

Tentatively, I poured it into my glass.

There must have been an error in the pint I was given at the Landing (this also happened to me about a month later with a jug of Granville Island Hefe, don't order snobby beers at Ladner Landing, I guess)

Anyway a nice cloudy orange with a thick white head poured out. Slight lacing as I drank it.

Anyone heard of Hoegarden? I know a certain brewmeister at Rickard's (Molson) who has ;) Tastes and smells like a stronger version of that. Nice barley and wheat with orange and coriander, very up close and personal with the gruut. No hops (naturally).

Slightly under carbonated for my liking.

Highly drinkable.

A tart orange wedge is the perfect companion to this suprisingly good beer.

ozmodium, Sep 13, 2007
2.25/5  rDev -27.4%

juliendesrochers, Jul 18, 2013
3.2/5  rDev +3.2%

A friend offers you a beer, you take it! Even if it's not something you would normally drink.

A: cloudy gold with lots of carbonation.
S: yeast, lightly floral.
T: very mild. Like hefeweizen without the interesting flavors.
F: thin.

Certainly not the worst beer I've had. Also nowhere near the best. It's okay.

souvenirs, May 24, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -11.3%

kirkse, Apr 07, 2012
2.53/5  rDev -18.4%

Friends of mine brought this over for an evening,Poured a very hazy yellow color with a small white head and minor lacing.Nose was acidy,citrus with orange and pineapple coming through,i could tell right away this was not my kind but kept it to myself.Taste was zesty orange and pineapple,with cloves hitting at ya and spices and the yeast,hmm,,,do i got to drink this,well at least it went down watery,kinda thin mouthfeel that helped it go down easy,the finish had a tartiness to it and some corn taste lingered after it went down,nope,not my style.

GrimmReaper, Aug 12, 2008
3.14/5  rDev +1.3%

Rickard's White is an okay beer. I find myself drinking it pretty frequently as its one of my "safety beers" at bars; It's at pretty much every bar in my area and its a safe fallback when I go to the sports bar's or types of establishments that only carry mass produced macrobrews. I'm never impressed with it any time I drink it, but I'm never disgusted by it either. It's very light on the wheat taste, the wheat is almost unnoticeable, it tastes very filtered, its light on the coriander and heavy on the orange, although not nearly as heavy on the orange as shock top.

All in all its a decent beer for instances when you don't have much better options, but I would never go out of my way to purchase it

WeizenMike, Jul 14, 2013
3.33/5  rDev +7.4%

A- Pours a not overdone hazed yellowish/gold/orange color, and has a very nice looking head that is super white in color, starts out about 3 fingers thick, and although it settles very quickly, it does maintain a thick-ish layer. There is ample carbonation and the lacing factor is modest at best. While this isn't a superb looking wit, it's better looking than a lot of brews!

S- This is a pleasant smelling beer, with typical, if not slightly muted notes of coriander spice, malted wheat and an ever present sweet orange note. Overall, it isn't what a true Belgian wheat beer would smell like, as far as dominating aromas are concerned but it does smell clean!

T- When I said it smelt clean, I wasn't kidding! This is a very lightly flavored version of a wit beer but still has the overall character of what it should be. The main flavors coming through are sweet malted barley & wheat to give it a bit of tang, orange peel and just a slight hint of spice on the finish.

M- Relatively light bodied, and a decent amount of zingy carbonation. I do find this to be quite thirst quenching and easygoing overall.

O- I'm not going to slam this just because it's a Molson product, because I've had this before and while I reviewed it, I was reminded that it is decent overall. I don't find the alcohol to be noticeable, and the fruity aspect makes it very appealing to the masses...great for a few people to split at the pub too! I'd get this from time to time just for something a little different and without the huge cost behind it!

ChrisCage, Aug 14, 2011