Rickard's White - Molson Coors Canada

Molson Coors Canada visit their website
Ontario, Canada

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: JOaikido on 02-25-2007

A genuine Belgian-style wheat ale, White holds a depth of flavour. It's brewed with wheat and oats, and is unfiltered to present a natural cloudy appearance. Mild hints of ground coriander with dried orange peel mingle for a light spiciness that ends with a refreshing, smooth finish.
to view more.
Ratings: 240 | Reviews: 93
Reviews by wizo:
3.5/5  rDev +12.9%

Appearance: clear, tan/gold colored, high carbonation, big head

Smell: Belgian spices, coriander, and orange

Taste: Belgian spices, coriander, and orange

Mouthfeel: sweet, smooth, light, and moderately carbonated.

Drinkability: This to me tastes and feels like Blue Moon to a T. It may be slightly more orange. If you like Blue Moon, you will like this one. I could have a couple of these.

3.13/5  rDev +1%

473ml can. The beer pours a hazy yellow color with a white head. The aroma is very heavy on the orange peel with a little bit of coriander mixed in. The beer smells about like a Belgian White should smell. The flavor is pretty similar. I get a lot of wheat and coriander, but the oranges from the aroma seem to have turned into apricots. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Nothing special, but better than I expected.

2.6/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Appearance - beers pours with about 2 fingers of head that drops off to some island appearance head. Beer is a pale ale color with some cloudyness. There is a slight amount of carbonation visible.

Smell - very faint smell all together, if you hunt there is a slight orange smell. Hops r well hidden, is there any!

Taste - lacking in the taste department, this is not a good tasting. Any hint of orange can not be tasted and there is just a light beer.

Mouthfeel - some decent carbonation added, but no taste. Same as the tasting, this is a bland beer. Very disappointed.

Drinkability - I mean, I could drink this beer for its ease of access and watery taste. Not something I'd look for again.

2.4/5  rDev -22.6%

Had this one at a party at a friends place. I am grateful for the beer, so this is the only place where I will criticize this beer.

The beer is model after a belgian white. A weak 1cm head. (The Rickard honey brown had NO head whatsoever). Pale blonde beer that is slightly cloudy, nothing special at all. Taste of artificial orange peel like, with some unflatering wheat like taste in the background. The beer finishes with a harsh tartness and bitterness in the back of the tongue. Not good.

2.98/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Cloudy orange golden body with a bright white head forming thick dwindling quick with speckled lacing. Aroma citrus peel minimal coriander in the nose, the citrus peel smacks you. Flavor unrefined white ale, cloying orange peel bitterness and a flood of coriander that makes you want to lick the ground to get the flavors off the palate. Mouthfeel is medium bodied should be much lighter but the wheat weighs in with some proteins weighing things down a bit, light carbonation doesn't carry the spice very well left with cloying orange peels and spices. Overall a sad interpretation of the Belgian style white ale.

3.03/5  rDev -2.3%

20oz pint. If one could title their reviews, it would be rather difficult for me to avoid something like "Blue Moon Over Montreal", or the like. The first time I sat down in a restaurant where I knew that the beer offerings were BMC-only, only to have the waitress rattle off the usual suspects, and end in something called Rickard's White, well, how could I not be persuaded, when she said I should be careful, as this beer is a bit strange, you know, people have been saying things, and all.

A few years on, and the mystery of origin well-resolved, I find myself once again in Molson territory, and this beer arriving on the bar mat in front of me, appearing a hazy medium apricot orange colour, with very little wispy dirty white head, which leaves a low arch of coral reef lace around the glass as things sink away.

It smells of gritty wheat grain, a suggestion of corn kernels, metallic coriander, medicinal citrus, a whiff of slightly underripe banana, and a touch of white pepper. The taste is sugary wheat malt, a touch of caramel sweetness, dry yeast, muddled, neutered (i.e. not spicy at all) coriander, some actual real-seeming orange citrus, and further pithy, uninspired orchard deadfall fruitiness.

The carbonation is fluffy and lightly frothy, the body on the deep low side of medium weight, and mostly smooth, in a placid committee sort of way. It finishes pretty sweet still, the mixed graininess and plain fruitiness combining to push this into cloying territory.

A very so-so, underwhelming representation of a witbier, all the expected points hit, but with low-grade buckshot. Obviously, a fair bit better than the usual offerings from MolsonCoorsInc, should you find yourself stuck in one of their many tied houses. On a final note, please just enjoy the accompanying slice of orange on its own, after downing the damned beer.

3.52/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured into a mug. Hazy light orange body with a two finger of white head. Head rapidly fades to nothingness leaving no lace behind.

Loads of orange in the aroma. Some lemon and bread as well, but definately in the back seat. The orange is the driver here. It's kind of one-note, but that one-not is very well played.

It tastes the way you'd expect it to after smelling it. Lots of mildly sweet orange with wheat tang in the background. Slightly tart. Swirl it around the mouth gently before swallowing and you get a hint of spice in the aftertaste.

Carbonation is there, but smooth and fine. Light, watery, and very refreshing. I've ordered this by the pitcher in places where nothing else decent was available. Extremely easy to drink, especially in hot weather.

3.37/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Having heard me say I like Belgian wheat beers before, my dad was kind enough to go out to the beer store to pick up a case of this for my coming home from Ireland party. He likes Rickards and thought it was cool to see a Rickard's White. I was ready to go "mmm, that's really nice" for his sake, cause it was a nice thing to do, but it was actually a decent enough beer.

Appearance is to be expected, hazy yellow with a thickish, fast disapearing head. Nice citrussy aroma with a hint of... pineapple, maybe some coconut.

Orange zest comes through in the taste with some noticeable cloves in the spice. Sort of an unpleasant macroish after taste they threw in just incase the beer got too good for Molson's.

Mouth feel is thin, but drinkability is quite high.

A decent attempt at a good beer style by the evil empire of Canadian brewing. I'd drink it again.

3.62/5  rDev +16.8%

My disparaging review of this beer served on tap at a pub, may have been in haste...

I was given this stuff to try from a bottle now that it is widely available to be bought in 6 packs.

Tentatively, I poured it into my glass.

There must have been an error in the pint I was given at the Landing (this also happened to me about a month later with a jug of Granville Island Hefe, don't order snobby beers at Ladner Landing, I guess)

Anyway a nice cloudy orange with a thick white head poured out. Slight lacing as I drank it.

Anyone heard of Hoegarden? I know a certain brewmeister at Rickard's (Molson) who has ;) Tastes and smells like a stronger version of that. Nice barley and wheat with orange and coriander, very up close and personal with the gruut. No hops (naturally).

Slightly under carbonated for my liking.

Highly drinkable.

A tart orange wedge is the perfect companion to this suprisingly good beer.

3.2/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A friend offers you a beer, you take it! Even if it's not something you would normally drink.

A: cloudy gold with lots of carbonation.
S: yeast, lightly floral.
T: very mild. Like hefeweizen without the interesting flavors.
F: thin.

Certainly not the worst beer I've had. Also nowhere near the best. It's okay.

2.53/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Friends of mine brought this over for an evening,Poured a very hazy yellow color with a small white head and minor lacing.Nose was acidy,citrus with orange and pineapple coming through,i could tell right away this was not my kind but kept it to myself.Taste was zesty orange and pineapple,with cloves hitting at ya and spices and the yeast,hmm,,,do i got to drink this,well at least it went down watery,kinda thin mouthfeel that helped it go down easy,the finish had a tartiness to it and some corn taste lingered after it went down,nope,not my style.

3.16/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Rickard's White is an okay beer. I find myself drinking it pretty frequently as its one of my "safety beers" at bars; It's at pretty much every bar in my area and its a safe fallback when I go to the sports bar's or types of establishments that only carry mass produced macrobrews. I'm never impressed with it any time I drink it, but I'm never disgusted by it either. It's very light on the wheat taste, the wheat is almost unnoticeable, it tastes very filtered, its light on the coriander and heavy on the orange, although not nearly as heavy on the orange as shock top.

All in all its a decent beer for instances when you don't have much better options, but I would never go out of my way to purchase it

3.35/5  rDev +8.1%

A- Pours a not overdone hazed yellowish/gold/orange color, and has a very nice looking head that is super white in color, starts out about 3 fingers thick, and although it settles very quickly, it does maintain a thick-ish layer. There is ample carbonation and the lacing factor is modest at best. While this isn't a superb looking wit, it's better looking than a lot of brews!

S- This is a pleasant smelling beer, with typical, if not slightly muted notes of coriander spice, malted wheat and an ever present sweet orange note. Overall, it isn't what a true Belgian wheat beer would smell like, as far as dominating aromas are concerned but it does smell clean!

T- When I said it smelt clean, I wasn't kidding! This is a very lightly flavored version of a wit beer but still has the overall character of what it should be. The main flavors coming through are sweet malted barley & wheat to give it a bit of tang, orange peel and just a slight hint of spice on the finish.

M- Relatively light bodied, and a decent amount of zingy carbonation. I do find this to be quite thirst quenching and easygoing overall.

O- I'm not going to slam this just because it's a Molson product, because I've had this before and while I reviewed it, I was reminded that it is decent overall. I don't find the alcohol to be noticeable, and the fruity aspect makes it very appealing to the masses...great for a few people to split at the pub too! I'd get this from time to time just for something a little different and without the huge cost behind it!

3.5/5  rDev +12.9%

On tap at ethel's. Poured a one finger head into a pint glass, decent retention with some lacing, honey amber colour, white head.

Smell is sweet wheat, orange peel, coriander and pepper, some lemon.

Taste follows the nose but subtler. Seems almost like a decent witbier.

Medium body with plenty of carbonation. Some bitterness but relatively smooth.

I guarantee if this had a beautiful craft brew label it would be rate much higher.

3.39/5  rDev +9.4%

Not a bad summer brew. Refreshing and non-bloating.
Pours with a nice head (but does not stay very long) decent lacing and a very typical look for this style beer. Since this is the type beer I consume most often...I can draw from a lot of experience and the word that best describes this brew...is typical. There are a lot better choices, but there is noting wrong with this brew. Flavor is ok and mouth feel is ok, I'm thinking a little "cloud" in there process would solve the ok"s and make them closer to the outstanding level .

Although I won't be searching for this beer I certainly would select it over many. Worth a try.

3.3/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A 12 oz bottle that my brother's girlfriend's parents brought back from Canada (follow the trail there?).

A: The ale is a hazy pale yellow color, completely opaque from the haze. The head neared a finger and a half on pour and quickly receded to a thin white band.

S: The nose has some coriander zest and the dry sweetness of bitter orange peel. The wheat aromas add a slight tartness that spices the whole thing up.

T: The body is surprisingly full of flavor, considering the source. The wheat body is light with a subtle tartness that makes the tastebuds stand at attention. Some curacao-like orange peel flavors and coriander add sweetness to the tart body. The finish is far grainier than the wheat body first let on, bringing the the flavor back down a notch.

M: The early spice profile is nice, easily confused with certain craft witbiers that I've had.

D: This is another good sip, not the pinnacle of witbiers but serviceable nonetheless.

3.5/5  rDev +12.9%

Bottle: Poured a light hazy whitish ale with a small foamy head with minimal retention. Aroma of coriander is more pronounced then I would have expected for a Molson product. Taste is a mix between some light wheat malt and well balance coriander and orange peel. Body was above average and I thought this was well spice overall. I never thought I would say this about a Molson products but this is well done and somewhat better then some other micros take on the style.

3.1/5  rDev 0%

I didn't realise Rickard's made anything besides Rickard's Red so I gave this one a go. Not the most exciting beer I've ever drank. Tried it as it was the only "new to me" craft beer available where I was having dinner. The dinner and the beer was less than memorable. There's better Witbiers out there.

3.6/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours with a medium sized head that dies rather quickly ,very strange, most Witbiers that I have had hold up well. Leaves some lacing and has a hazy golden color.

Smells of orange, citrus, a fair amount of wheat and some light yeasty spice.

Tastes of cloves, oranges, and wheat. This is a effort from Molson.

3.16/5  rDev +1.9%

I've had this on tap several times at various bars. It has a bit of a reputation as a "chick beer", but I think it isn't half bad considering it is made by Molson. This is my formal review, though this time it's in a bottle rather than on tap.

It pours a bright hazy orange colour with a fluffy white head that settles down to about a centimeter. Quite nice for a macro-brew. The orange colour seems like it might be artificial, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Citrus dominates the aroma, though some faint spiciness comes through too.

The flavour is not bad, though it is a very "mass-appeal" rendition of the style. It is quite malty off the start with some clear citrus notes and spice towards the end. Nothing especially complex.

Overall, this is a pretty satisfying macro beer despite not really living up to the style all too well.

3.98/5  rDev +28.4%

In general it's a good beer. You can find it everywhere and at a good price. A orsngy taste with a medium after-taste. It is cloudy orange just like most of wheat beers, but i think it is a bit darker than most. It can easily battle with micro-breweries and well known wheat beers. This one of the best molson products and i was impressed by this beer.

3.04/5  rDev -1.9%

Served on tap at QP at Queen's University, in Kingston, Ontario. Normally served with a generous quarter of orange, I asked for one without so I could actually taste it.

Appearance was an appropriate cloudy gold-yellow with a huge head.

Aroma was extremely yeasty, sickeningly so. Maybe a little bit of fruit, but heavily unbalanced towards yeast.

Thin body, medium carbonation and refreshing. Makes for a drinkable brew for sure... I guess.

Taste was better than the smell, marginally so. Very sweet on the palate, little bit of offsetting tartness. Strange, corn-y finish more reminiscent of Canadian than any Belgian.

I wonder if this was a bad batch, this was a radically different from some of the other reviews.

2.47/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

A: Towards the orange, with a 2 finger head. Mild lacing.

S: Overwhelming orange smell, like orange juice, with a bit of wheat and banana.

T: Orange, coriander, bit of a wheat finish. A bit too sugary; the sweetness is overwhelming.

M: Feels too thick, not as light as I expected it to be. Carbonation is average.

O: Good for a macrobrew, but not really anything spectacular.

3.5/5  rDev +12.9%

Rumour has it that the newest addition to the Rickard's line-up of "premium" beers is actually just a rebranding of Coors' Blue Moon for the Canadian market. I've not tried Blue Moon, and I can't find any confirmation, but it makes sense. Follow the line of ownership (Rickard's > Molson > Coors) and realize that it would be more costly to introduce an entire new brand into the country, and it's a compelling argument.

In any case, I think that the country was - in all seriousness - crying out for a half-decent national brand wit/wheat beer, so let's take a look. Rickard's White pours into my weizen-glass a nice thick cloudy yellow, with hints of orange - almost opaque - and capped by a nice two fingers of uncharacteristically (for Rickard's, at least) frothy head. The head does recede a little faster than with other wits, but is still fairly resilient. I love the wit style, so this one - even with all the macro naysayers out there - has me excited.

Smell is a mixed bag; a lot of pleasant notes, but a few weird quirks that keep me from giving it the highest rating. Very bready smelling, almost sour, and a musty wheatiness really disguise many of the nicer flavours, but this is still pretty good. Coriander, curaco orange. Some other indistinct spice. Cloves. Slightly sweet. Maybe a touch of banana. I think it's the yeast that's hurting this guy, because there are notes vaguely reminiscent of the other Rickard's beers (and this is utterly out of place here). Still, pretty good.

Taste is more of the same. Good, but not perfect. The clove, coriander, and orange peel really sell it for me, but there's an unpleasant 'lager-y-ness' that feels out of place here. Tangy, spicy. Citrus notes. Faint bubblegum. Wheat. Not as overly sweet as I was expecting, and in fact finishes a touch dry. Again, though, the yeast hurts it.

Mouthfeel and drinkability, though, are both quite nice. The body is substantial - not watery - and the carbonation is nice (perhaps not as heavy as traditional wits/wheats, but pleasant). And I could certainly pound these back for a while, although that yeast might start throwing me off at some point.

Rickard's White has left me pretty happy for a national brand. I've heard horror stories about it on-tap vs. in the bottle, but I'm nevertheless excited at the prospect of a witbier in dive bars that would never otherwise consider it (as it is, Rickard's Red is probably the only universal 'premium' in Canadian bars - it's not a leap to consider the addition of Rickard's White).

How does it stack up against other wits? Mill Street's seasonal wit, admittedly, blows it out of the water, and even Hoegaarden is pretty plainly superior. But for what it is, I must admit to really liking Rickard's White.

2.52/5  rDev -18.7%

I'm not a big fan of witbeer to begin with, but this is one that I could actually drink with some enjoyment. I compare this to Blue Moon (not my favorite) as it was served with an orange on the side of the glass. The appearance was good and the tase was mild for a witbeer.

Cheers!