Rickard's White - Molson Coors Canada

Molson Coors Canada visit their website
Ontario, Canada

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: JOaikido on 02-25-2007

A genuine Belgian-style wheat ale, White holds a depth of flavour. It's brewed with wheat and oats, and is unfiltered to present a natural cloudy appearance. Mild hints of ground coriander with dried orange peel mingle for a light spiciness that ends with a refreshing, smooth finish.
firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
3.04/5  rDev -4.7%

Served on tap at QP at Queen's University, in Kingston, Ontario. Normally served with a generous quarter of orange, I asked for one without so I could actually taste it.

Appearance was an appropriate cloudy gold-yellow with a huge head.

Aroma was extremely yeasty, sickeningly so. Maybe a little bit of fruit, but heavily unbalanced towards yeast.

Thin body, medium carbonation and refreshing. Makes for a drinkable brew for sure... I guess.

Taste was better than the smell, marginally so. Very sweet on the palate, little bit of offsetting tartness. Strange, corn-y finish more reminiscent of Canadian than any Belgian.

I wonder if this was a bad batch, this was a radically different from some of the other reviews. (722 characters)

3.37/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Having heard me say I like Belgian wheat beers before, my dad was kind enough to go out to the beer store to pick up a case of this for my coming home from Ireland party. He likes Rickards and thought it was cool to see a Rickard's White. I was ready to go "mmm, that's really nice" for his sake, cause it was a nice thing to do, but it was actually a decent enough beer.

Appearance is to be expected, hazy yellow with a thickish, fast disapearing head. Nice citrussy aroma with a hint of... pineapple, maybe some coconut.

Orange zest comes through in the taste with some noticeable cloves in the spice. Sort of an unpleasant macroish after taste they threw in just incase the beer got too good for Molson's.

Mouth feel is thin, but drinkability is quite high.

A decent attempt at a good beer style by the evil empire of Canadian brewing. I'd drink it again. (865 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours with a medium sized head that dies rather quickly ,very strange, most Witbiers that I have had hold up well. Leaves some lacing and has a hazy golden color.

Smells of orange, citrus, a fair amount of wheat and some light yeasty spice.

Tastes of cloves, oranges, and wheat. This is a effort from Molson. (311 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +9.7%

This is a half decent wit that can be found in establishments that are Molson only. I had no problem drinking a couple of these though it is not on the same level as Hoegarden. The coriander and citrus came out on the nose and the finish was on the dry side. All in all a decent beer from Molson. (296 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +9.7%

Served at a steak house. It was the only beer on the list I did not have, and the other beers were typical macro lagers. I thought, it's Molson, but at least it's new to me. Came served in a pint glass, with an orange garnish(forgot to request no orange). Cloudy, somewhat orange and brown with a very nice head. Served very cold, so I had to wait for awhile for it to warm so I can detect some scent and taste. Did take a few sips when it was cold. Smells of coriander, wheat, citrusy notes and a surprisingly yeasty scent. Taste was good. Wheat, bread, orange and grapefruit rinds, with a bit of dry hay. Very smooth, medium bodied but thick mouthfeel. I liked it. (666 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +9.7%

Rumour has it that the newest addition to the Rickard's line-up of "premium" beers is actually just a rebranding of Coors' Blue Moon for the Canadian market. I've not tried Blue Moon, and I can't find any confirmation, but it makes sense. Follow the line of ownership (Rickard's > Molson > Coors) and realize that it would be more costly to introduce an entire new brand into the country, and it's a compelling argument.

In any case, I think that the country was - in all seriousness - crying out for a half-decent national brand wit/wheat beer, so let's take a look. Rickard's White pours into my weizen-glass a nice thick cloudy yellow, with hints of orange - almost opaque - and capped by a nice two fingers of uncharacteristically (for Rickard's, at least) frothy head. The head does recede a little faster than with other wits, but is still fairly resilient. I love the wit style, so this one - even with all the macro naysayers out there - has me excited.

Smell is a mixed bag; a lot of pleasant notes, but a few weird quirks that keep me from giving it the highest rating. Very bready smelling, almost sour, and a musty wheatiness really disguise many of the nicer flavours, but this is still pretty good. Coriander, curaco orange. Some other indistinct spice. Cloves. Slightly sweet. Maybe a touch of banana. I think it's the yeast that's hurting this guy, because there are notes vaguely reminiscent of the other Rickard's beers (and this is utterly out of place here). Still, pretty good.

Taste is more of the same. Good, but not perfect. The clove, coriander, and orange peel really sell it for me, but there's an unpleasant 'lager-y-ness' that feels out of place here. Tangy, spicy. Citrus notes. Faint bubblegum. Wheat. Not as overly sweet as I was expecting, and in fact finishes a touch dry. Again, though, the yeast hurts it.

Mouthfeel and drinkability, though, are both quite nice. The body is substantial - not watery - and the carbonation is nice (perhaps not as heavy as traditional wits/wheats, but pleasant). And I could certainly pound these back for a while, although that yeast might start throwing me off at some point.

Rickard's White has left me pretty happy for a national brand. I've heard horror stories about it on-tap vs. in the bottle, but I'm nevertheless excited at the prospect of a witbier in dive bars that would never otherwise consider it (as it is, Rickard's Red is probably the only universal 'premium' in Canadian bars - it's not a leap to consider the addition of Rickard's White).

How does it stack up against other wits? Mill Street's seasonal wit, admittedly, blows it out of the water, and even Hoegaarden is pretty plainly superior. But for what it is, I must admit to really liking Rickard's White. (2,761 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A 12 oz bottle that my brother's girlfriend's parents brought back from Canada (follow the trail there?).

A: The ale is a hazy pale yellow color, completely opaque from the haze. The head neared a finger and a half on pour and quickly receded to a thin white band.

S: The nose has some coriander zest and the dry sweetness of bitter orange peel. The wheat aromas add a slight tartness that spices the whole thing up.

T: The body is surprisingly full of flavor, considering the source. The wheat body is light with a subtle tartness that makes the tastebuds stand at attention. Some curacao-like orange peel flavors and coriander add sweetness to the tart body. The finish is far grainier than the wheat body first let on, bringing the the flavor back down a notch.

M: The early spice profile is nice, easily confused with certain craft witbiers that I've had.

D: This is another good sip, not the pinnacle of witbiers but serviceable nonetheless. (951 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +13.5%

My disparaging review of this beer served on tap at a pub, may have been in haste...

I was given this stuff to try from a bottle now that it is widely available to be bought in 6 packs.

Tentatively, I poured it into my glass.

There must have been an error in the pint I was given at the Landing (this also happened to me about a month later with a jug of Granville Island Hefe, don't order snobby beers at Ladner Landing, I guess)

Anyway a nice cloudy orange with a thick white head poured out. Slight lacing as I drank it.

Anyone heard of Hoegarden? I know a certain brewmeister at Rickard's (Molson) who has ;) Tastes and smells like a stronger version of that. Nice barley and wheat with orange and coriander, very up close and personal with the gruut. No hops (naturally).

Slightly under carbonated for my liking.

Highly drinkable.

A tart orange wedge is the perfect companion to this suprisingly good beer. (921 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -35.4%

This is simply an effort to leverage an existing brand. It doesn't really have much to offer as a beer. Bland, watery mouthfeel, weak as far as its taste and aroma go. I hate drinking a beer where they've clealy skimped on the ingreients and spent all their money on the marketing and the label. Not offensive, but not worth your time either when there are better wits easily available. Yawn. (392 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +11.9%

Original white beer, so it has to be good, right????

Decent looking, nice aprocot in color with a thick, almost rich head that left the 'scene' a bit to quickly and left a thin white cap/ring. Not much in the way of lacing. But at least it was hazy and unfiltered...this is a big step for Molson.

I found it had a very pleasing aroma, nice mixture of peach, sweet wheat malt, and a hint of spice and citrus.

after a watery start, I liked the taste. Crisp initially. Some nice peach-like wheat malt followed by a nice touch of citrus. Somewhat dry in the finish.

Not as 'velvety' as some other white's, but certainly easy enough on the palate.

For the price ( just a hint over $10.00/six vs. over $14.00 for Hoegarden) it makes a great beer for introducing macro-lager friends to the milky way that is the world of beer. (835 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +22.9%

Far exceeding expectations for a Molson product, credit has to be given for actually sticking to the style of beer rather than making yet another Canadian lager marketed as a craft beer. Cloudy appearance, slight sweet smell, with a light sweet flavor with hints of orange becoming more prominent as you drink. Refreshing, flavorful, and drinkable. (348 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -2.2%

Had on tap with some fish & chips at Maxwell's Plum in Halifax.

Appearance: Arrives at my table an hazy orange colour with a 3/4 inch white head, quickly fizzling out, no lacing to be seen.

Aroma: Heavy on citrus fruit, some cloves and general spicyness. Very tropical in aroma, possibly some mangos or something in there.

Taste: Spicy, tangy, and citrusy. Some cloves and fruit in there, with a not so nice tang in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin, fizzy, not overly good.

Final Statement: This isn't a complete mess of a brew. It would be a good introduction into the witbiers for a total newbie. I finished the drink with no problem, its just not of great quality, and not what I want in a beer. (708 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -10.3%

On-tap at a Boston Pizza, served with an orange slice.

A: Hazy, brownish-orange; white head; no retention or lace.

S: An unfortunate chlorophenol aroma (bandaids), spicey cloves, light fruityness and hints of solvents.

T: Spicy cloves, orange & hints of tropical fruit, with a little oxidized cardboard flavour. It's like they've got the right ingredients, but it wasn't properly brewed and/or handled.

M: Light to moderate body is well-carbonated & refreshing.

D: The taste isn't bad, but I can't get over the smell. It was easily finished.

Better than a Blue moon I once had (which I couldn't finish half of!). (630 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +1.9%

I found a lot of "blanche" beer is Quebec, I guess it's a popular style. This is Rickard's attempt at it, and while it certainly does fit the bill as to what a white beer is, it doesn't do it in any remarkably interesting way. If you're with someone who's never had a witbier before, this might be a good place to start, since it is pretty much no frills, but a decent stab at the style. (387 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +9.7%

This new draft was on tap at the Toad and Turtle in Calgary, special introductory price.
Cloudy, yellow color, with a thin, white, soap bubble-like foam. Head disappears quickly. Looks as a wit-beer should. Smell of lemon and citrus yeast. Taste has the expected fruity and citrus flavor. Slightly bitter finish. Nothing overpowering in flavor or aroma. Fairly light body and smooth mouthfeel. Good, but not great. A decent attempt at a new style, still seemed a bit 'toned down' to be marketed at the macro-type crowd. (520 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +9.7%

Bottle: Poured a light hazy whitish ale with a small foamy head with minimal retention. Aroma of coriander is more pronounced then I would have expected for a Molson product. Taste is a mix between some light wheat malt and well balance coriander and orange peel. Body was above average and I thought this was well spice overall. I never thought I would say this about a Molson products but this is well done and somewhat better then some other micros take on the style. (470 characters)

3.22/5  rDev +0.9%

341 ml bottle. First saw this at the grocery store this week. Molson is entering the witbier market. There are a few well established witbiers in Quebec already as I am reminded as I pour it into a Blanche de Chambly glass. Let's see how our local Quebec born macro does the job.

A- Cludy yellow with a dark center. Sort od like a yellow fruit juice. Nice initial white head, but this dissappears fairly quickly. Not much effervescence. Overall, I'l give it an average for the style.

S- Faint lemon and yeast. Touch od orange and a bit of dusty CO2. Pleasant and in keeping with style, but could be stronger and have more yeasty complexity.

T- Missing something/anything up front. The start is just too watery. Middle has some pleasant fruity flavours of citrus and tropical fruit, but this could also be stronger. These are followed by a nice little bitter and acid back. But then this odd, slightly off aftertaste of aspartame and watermelon comes into play and brings down the whole experience.

MF- Fairly smooth feel. Good body, not overly light as some withbiers tend to be. Too bad this is not matched by the taste. Carbonation feel OK.

D- Odd aftertaste cuts drinkability as at the end of each gulp, I wondered if I really wanted to have more. The middle of the taste in interesting though. Molson dis an OK job, but Quebec has much better "Blanches" to offer. (1,383 characters)

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last