Molson OV (Old Vienna) - Molson Coors Canada

Molson OV (Old Vienna)Molson OV (Old Vienna)

poor

Molson Coors Canada visit their website
Ontario, Canada

Vienna Lager |  5.00% ABV

A mainstream lager with a moderate hop character and slightly sweet, fruity, refreshing aroma and taste.

(Beer added by: lipschitz on 07-23-2002)

This is the best beer i've ever drank hands down. I like it even better than molson export. It's probably the absolute smoothest beer around. Exceptional taste and mouthfeel. I really could drink this beer forever, its so smooth. Drinkability is awesome. Just a classic beer. This beer is great anytime of the year, especially in the summer it can be quite thirst quenching, its a little malty and somewhat sweet, but it's just got a classic taste thats hard to describe. This beer is pretty popular with the elders, and pretty well known around wny.

BuffaloBilly, Aug 09, 2006

MJ63, Oct 26, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +31.6%

carteravebrew, Jun 23, 2013
3.38/5  rDev +27.1%

A fair offering from Molson. This brew has nothing to do with the Märzen / Oktoberfest style, as it is a more of a classic lager, and the O.V. Stand for "Old Vienna", so perhaps this is an attempt at a Vienna style lager. Anyhow, it pours from the can to a medium yellow color with a two finger head of white foam that dissipates over time. Aromas of sweet corn and malt. Taste is medium bodied and not offensive; mild malt, light corn and grain, a touch of hops, hint of alcohol. Mouthfeel was pretty good, and had some consistancy about itself. Not as weak and watery as most macros. Drinkability is north of average. Worth a try, but mostly consumable as a lawn-mower beer.

THE BLOODHOUND FACTOR: Both muts were mildly interested in this one, but the sweetness seemed to turn them off.

Frozensoul327, Jun 24, 2006
3.35/5  rDev +25.9%

This is slightly better than average for a Canadian beer. All aspects of this brew meet criteria with one exception...Where's the Head??? Appearance is weak due to the fact that it looks like apple juice. Put two fingers of lasting foam on this puppy and you have a contender.

Shiloh, Nov 20, 2002
3.33/5  rDev +25.2%

Bought a 12 pack from Southtown Beverages for $ 8.99 on 3/8/14. Poured into a large tumbler, served cold.

Appearance: pale gold yellow with one finger pure white head. Active streams of bubbles.

Smell: a little musty, faint spicy hoppiness.

Taste: Taste is mild and inoffensive, not overly sweet.

Mouthfeel: decent for a macro lager.

Overall: easy drinking, cheap.

fx20736, Mar 08, 2014
3.25/5  rDev +22.2%

Hoppy_McGee, Jan 09, 2014
3.25/5  rDev +22.2%

BillRoth, Dec 07, 2013
3.2/5  rDev +20.3%

355 mL can from TBS. #2 in my series of cheap lager reviews that I am only doing because of the embarrassingly limited selection in this town. I've been a little curious about this stuff for a while because of its long history, but convincing myself to buy a 12-pack (the only format I've been able to find until now) just wasn't going to happen. A six-pack seemed fair though, given the lack of other options.

Pours a golden-yellow colour; a bit deeper in hue than most AALs, but in the grand scheme of things, still fairly pale. Two fingers of frothy, pearl-white head erupts at the surface, but vanishes quickly over the next minute, leaving behind nothing but a filmy cap and soapy collar. The aroma is muted and completely uninteresting, but to be fair it's not bad for the style - pale grainy malts, corn husk and a vague whisper of weedy hops. Not off-putting, at least.

Actually, this stuff really isn't so bad - it's a little sweeter than a lot of adjunct beers, but not in the usual sickly, corn-syrupy way. Don't get me wrong - there is obviously adjunct filler in here, but it is supported nicely with a pale grainy flavour and a light honey sweetness. The lack of any sort of hop presence prevents this from being significantly above average, though. At least it finishes cleanly, without any of those nasty vegetal, cardboard notes I sometimes find in cheap lagers. Light-bodied and fairly watery, with slightly less carbonation than most of Molson's flagship brands. This definitely tones down the bloat factor, and makes it easier to drink in large quantities.

I find it a little hilarious (and unsurprising) that one of Molson's best pale lagers is one with a recipe that originates from a completely different company. Reminds me a little of Foster's, another adjunct lager I don't mind drinking on occasion. Both of them are what I consider 'old guy beers' - a little more flavourful than average, easy to drink en masse, and consumed primarily by blue-haired people who pine for the good old days.

[Updated Nov. 17 2013]

For the record, I am not grading this as a Vienna lager, because it isn't one... like, at all. It's a decent adjunct lager though, and it definitely doesn't deserve its legendary nickname. For a Molson 'value brand', this is passable - I picked up a case when I went camping during the summer and made my way through it with no issue, and I picked this 6-pack up on sale because hell, why not? The sort of thing to keep in your fridge and offer to your friends that prefer this style of beer - especially if they're friends in the 50+ age bracket who might actually recognize it.

Final Grade: 3.2, a C+.

thehyperduck, Sep 11, 2012
3.15/5  rDev +18.4%

From the 12 fl. oz. can stamped: MAR0413-E08071051. Sampled on June 25, 2013

The pour is pale yellow with a rich, white head that lingers to the end.

The aroma is forward with grainy and pilsener malts, sweetness, and a Euro malt cleanliness. I don't pick up adjuncts myself.

The body is light and smooth.

The taste is also grainy and malty up front in a moderate way with a light bite at the end to balance it all off. It is fairly easy to quaff.

puboflyons, Jun 25, 2013

bigox420, Nov 28, 2011

KStark, Jul 17, 2013
2.96/5  rDev +11.3%

341ml bottle poured into pint glass 28/3/13

A clear straw yellow with plenty of bubbles feeding a surprisingly well sustained foam that ends up as a thin film leaving some random lace

S sweet corny malts, a little bubblegum and cotton candy and I'm not sure where that's coming from, metallic notes and everything's rather faint but unoffensive

T some purple candy and cracker on top of what I smell but with a little faint skunk

M thin but well carbonated, grainy aftertaste

O better then I thought but nothing special, just another macro lager

I'll admit I thought this would be a drain pour but it wasn't that bad, it wasn't that good either but drinkable

wordemupg, Mar 29, 2013
2.93/5  rDev +10.2%

I attended a training class in relation to my job, and of course beer talk ensues wherever two or more like-minded people get together. The instructor was one, and following the class she wanted me to try these not because she holds it as the pinnacle of beers but because I am up for anything and told her I'd put the review on the internet! Plus it is one of those beers from her past that are part of a person's up-bringing, you know? Anyway, she gave me a whole 12-pack that had been sitting in her basement for a year+. I have my doubts, but the bottles are brown and the box has been closed, so it has been in fairly optimal condition. Let's give 'er a go...

Appearance - I've got two bottles chilled and ready to go into a big A&W root beer float mug. Pours a slightly hazy straw color with a tint of orange. Despite a bouncy pour, very little head forms up and what does melts away pretty fast. There remains a scant cover on top which somehow defies the odds and stays awhile despite minimal beading from below. Some sudsy lacing around the mug handle, that's about it though.

Aroma - while forewarned of a possible skunk in these older bottles, these first two were fine. Sweet and diluted grain, maybe a touch vegetal but a very neutral smell for the most part, at least at these initial cold temperatures.

Taste - I wondered if this was really just another adjunct-laden macro knock-off with a misnomer for a title. As a Vienna lager, it can't really compare to my standard of Viennas, Sam Adams Boston Lager. But it is categorized here as a Marzen/OFest. 'Yeah right' was my initial thought pre-taste. It does, however, have a slight Marzeny taste that is passable. It's just a bare hint of toastiness and/or butteriness, mind you, but it's there. The buttery/diacetyl could even suggest a light ESB style, the beer needs more flavor to have an identity one way or the other. Some huskiness from the grain is there too, in the aftertaste primarily. A late drying and touch of bitterness along with a mild vegetal flavor. The flavors are well below par on volume but what registers ain't bad. A budget OFest? Could eke out another half-point if fresh, probably a reasonably flavorful beer on tap.

Mouthfeel - an element of smoothness, whether that's from a slight diacetyl effect or not I can't tell. It's not enough flavorwise to suspect a defect, so I consider it an asset here. Evenly carbonated and an average body, good levels for the style.

Drinkability - for a beer that's been sitting in a Cleveland basement for a year or more, I'm impressed. Kudos to Molson for brown bottles and light-blocking boxes, eh? I was initially struck that this reminded me in a distant way of a bottle of Avery Samael, a 14.5% monster I had last night. Obviously there is a world of difference, but the grain sweetness has a similarity that just made me think of it. This is like an "OFest Extra Light". I' m happy to have received a half-case of these and hope my return toss of a Young's Double Chocolate 4-pack will be equally enjoyed (you *know* it will...hell yeah!). Here's to beer and the people that enjoy them. Thanks Lori! ;-)

brewdlyhooked13, Dec 22, 2007
2.93/5  rDev +10.2%

This beer has been misclassified. This is the O'Keefe brand lager known as Old Vienna that molson bought out in the seventies. It still bears the blue lable and OKeefe knight. Molson has kept the OKeefe Old Vienna (O.V.) formula pretty well untouched. OV is a Canadianized version of the sweeter vienna lagers. It is sweeter than most Canandian mega brews.

The last time I had this beer was when my high school buddy used to snich a few of his dad's beers. I never really liked this beer then so I have had no desire to buy it regularly since. I had one recently at a pub down town and I realized it isn't as bad as I remembered.

Pours a darker straw color, small white head that laces out, medium carbonation, smells of cooked grain, fusil sweetness and corn aromas. Starts crisp then sits with a medium light malty body then finishes thinly with a sweet after taste.

Not a really memorable beer but it has been a staple in Canadian beer stores for 50 years so It must have a following among older Canadian beer drinkers.

pootz, Feb 09, 2004
2.85/5  rDev +7.1%

Old Vienna is a clear, light golden lager with a quickly dissipating white film of a head. The aroma is very faint and fruity, perhaps wooden. Light to medium bodied, it starts smooth but ends up shredding the mouth. The flavor is pretty faint, but I can actually taste some hops. There are notes of grass, hay, corn; maybe wheat and lemon. I really expected much worse.
(rated Jul 22, 2008)