Old Style Pilsner - Molson Coors Canada

German Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-05-2002

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last
2.29/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

I have a soft spot in my heart for this beer, having consumed it in copious quantities over the years. Let's be clear - Pil is no different than any other mass-produced Canadian beer. It's clear, with a foamy head and your standard macro lager taste. At one point, it was priced like a "budget" beer, but that's no longer the case. I'm not even sure if there are bunnies on the label any more. It's a sad state of affairs... (424 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -47%

Pilsner pours a light yellow, and has a soapy head. The taste is bizarre depending on what can you drink. I found that the beer tasted like melted glue and depending on the can, it has a harsh taste that leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Wouldn't recommend. (257 characters)

2.98/5  rDev +5.3%

473 ml can served cold into a Keith's pint glass. Purchased from LCBO for about $2 CDN.

Appearance - clear and pale golden color. Few bubbles but capped by a finger and a bit of white fluffy head that leaves a trace of lacing.

Smell - some grassy notes, but not terribly aromatic even for the style.

Taste - grassy up front, then more grainy on the back end. Slightly bitter aftertaste. Decent pils, but not terribly exciting.

Mouthfeel - medium body and carbonation is a bit low. Medium finish.

Overall - not a bad effort at a pils, but there are many other options available for about the same price. (607 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +44.2%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Straw gold filtered, little carbonation, 4 fingers of fluffy white head.

S: Saaz hops, grainy, hay, spicy green hay, a touch of molasses.

T: Very balanced with a light sweetness right from the start, all the hops big spicy green hay and touch of molasses all coming through, wheatgrass. I think it’s a tribute to the freshness of this beer.

M: Medium almost syrupy bready body, medium low carbonation.

O: This one surprised me in a pleasant way. Cool old style can takes me back to old Germany, which is appealing if you want an old style beer. The smell and taste deliver in balance. The sweetness took me off guard a little, perhaps a little too much in this beer, but the freshness of it makes me want to keep drinking it. Really it’s a great beer. (762 characters)

3.38/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Purchased at The Beer Store approx. $2.20/ 473ml can. Served at 8deg C in a draught glass

A- Standard Canadian beer. Clear and foamy

S- Not much here but that is standard for this mass produced beer

T- Pretty good! Brings back a bit of nostalgia from visiting BC

M- Not much as usual but that's ok

O- Got to give this beer a passing grade

Food Pairing

Pair this with anything you want at a BBQ.

Enjoy! (410 characters)

3.16/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This may be the most nostalgic beer of all for a Saskatchewan born fella such as myself ... One of my earliest memories is of rooting through this giant bowl of beer bottle caps my grandpa kept for who knows what reason, plucking out this beige-brown colored cap that said "Old Style" as my favorite. I guess I started early. The green, yellow, and red is more current and better known, but suffice to say this adjunct beer has been around for a while and any self-respecting Saskie drinks this instead of Labatt's or Bud (perish the thought). Anyhow, I will provide an unbiased and objective review. Pilsener is crazy-pale, almost clear, and smells grainy, with a bit of baker's yeast and green grass. The high level of carbonation makes the aroma a tad difficult to discern but realistically, who smells this chugger anyway? Flavor is muted, gentle, and smooth, with the thin watery body you'd expect and a sweeter than expected, slightly sour finish. I get some breakfast cereal, soda crackers, apples, weak lemonade, corn syrup, and a little coarse astringent rubbing alcohol in the finish. Some bias may creep in here, but I feel this brew has fewer flaws than many other macro-lagers (alright, the apple is probably acetyldehyde!), less DMS cooked character, and a pretty reasonable balance of sweet and dry. Obviously its a beer designed for mass consumption without too much in the way of mindful sensory analysis and I'd ratchet up the overall flavor intensity. Admittedly it was fun to try a Pils again, well aware that this is not a world-beater but able to enjoy some pretty good memories just the same. (1,615 characters)

2.95/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Serving Type - 473 ml can poured into a pilsner glass.

Appearance - Crystal clear with n insane amount of carbonation visible. Beer is slightly darker than a pale straw, and was poured with 2 fingers of what may be the ugliest head I've ever seen. Perhaps my pour was off, but the foam is lopsided and clumpy, and the lacing that is left behind looks like soap.

Smell - Not much going on here. Smells like your standard macro. Some grains and a bit of wet grass. Faint metallic smell.

Taste - Grains, wet grass as well. But also the faintest bit of pilsner malt which surprised the hell out of me. Other than that there's some off flavours- metal for one, stale vegetables for another - likely adjunct garbage.

Mouthfeel - High carbonation...maybe a bit to high. But not so bad really. Body is extremely light. Finish is crisp and pretty dry. (851 characters)

2.96/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Well, it's this year's Banjo Bowl, and as a Ti-Cat fan, I'm rootin' for the Roughriders, so I thought it was time to review the beer know as "Saskatchewan Champagne"

Appearance: Solid finger and a half of head that retained well enough but did not lace. The body is a pale gold that has steady carbonation.

Smell: Has a bit of a mild swamp scent to it. Warmning doesn't help either way as vegetation and earthy note dominate the nose. It's not strong enough to call it offensive, but it rubs me a bit wrong.

Taste: A straw and corn malt with a bit of earthiness in the background which turns to an almost cabbage like taste and ends with a small dose of mild earth hops.

Mouthfeel: The sweeter malt dominates the aftertastes with only notes of the earthiness. The carbonation helps out the entire beer as well, but the transitioning is a little abrupt.

Drinkability: It seems a bit lighter and crisper then most adjucts, but I wouldn't call it a work of art. It's a summer. A Macro, but somewhat more tolerable then most.

Final Thoughts: I guess this is another part of the Roughrider fanbase I'll never understand, much like wearing watermelons for helmets, and I for one am grateful not to be one of their number if I had to drink this stuff at games. (1,259 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Can: Poured a light golden color pilsner with a nice pure white foamy head. Aroma of lightly sweet malt based with light cereal notes. Taste is also dominated by lightly sweet adjunct notes with light cereal notes and light sweet finish. Body is light with good carbonation. This was not as bad as I had expected but it is still a pretty bland offering. (353 characters)

2.96/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from the colorfully labeled can into a Duvel glass. Fairly decent white head settling over clear deep yellow colored beer. Nose is unremarkable: some corn and weak maltiness with barely a hop flower to be found. Taste is light bodied with corn adjunct apparent, scant light malt and again nary any hoppiness. Finshes light and watery, seems like an 'old school' old man's beer. Glad I could only buy a single without having to put out for a six of this stuff. MIGHT go well with the hot Ottawa weather we've had of late but otherwise don't bother. (554 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Can from the Ottawa LCBO for $2

Appearance - Clear yellow colour with a massive size fizzy white coloured head. There is a high amount of carbonation showing and there is some great lacing. The head lasted for around 5 minutes.

Smell - Corn, apples, grains

Taste & Mouth - There is an above average amount of carbonation and I can taste corn, apples, and grains. There is also a slight cardboard type flavour. It ends with a stale adjunct aftertaste.

Overall – Pretty much what I was expecting I guess.. just another poor adjunct from Molson Coors. It did have a nice appearance, I will give it that. (606 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Pale, pale yellow brew under and big, big bright white soapy head. Settles to a bubbly cap before giving way to a ring. Reasonably

Nose is typical pilsner-type hops and malt, nothing particularly exciting or offensive. Corny sweet to drink up front, slightly redeems itself with some proper graininess up the middle before giving way to a sweet sticky finish. Ends with a doughy bitterness. Not crisp in any way, just big and puffy sweet on the palate.

Not particularly fun to drink. Cheesy looking can as a bonus. That's done. (530 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

YES! So happy to see this available at the Beer Store. A classic prairie pilsner that has a serious cult following and a disgusting association with the Riders. From notes.

A - Light apple juice coloured pour with good carbonation. Bright and had a two finger fluffy white head that left good lace rings and a finger of retention.

S - Sweet grain, apple, pear, corn.

T - Sweet grain again, mild hope note, honey. Not all that unpleasant.

M - Strong carbonation, medium body, sweet finish. Good for the style.

O/D - I've had this a couple times out West and never felt it was too bad for the style. I could definitely have a few of these in a night and consider it one of the better adjunct lagers around. Avoids the DMS assault most examples of the style carry with them. (777 characters)

3.38/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- Pours a straw yellow with a finger width of bubbly head.

Smell- Sweet corn, grains, apple, grassy.

Taste- Sweet corn, grains, and apple are all present followed by a grassy and dry finish.

Mouthfeel- Light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

Overall- An easy drinking pilsner. This is one of the better macros out there considering its brewed by Molson. This would be perfect for a hot summer day after doing yard work or something along those lines. (477 characters)

3.18/5  rDev +12.4%

As for Canadian macro-brews this is one of the best.

Appearance is translucent golden yellow with a straw/yeast smell. Tastes good and clean with slight aftertaste. Not sure I would truly call it a pilsner rather than just a Canadian/American lager. (250 characters)

3.12/5  rDev +10.2%

A - Pours a large head, just slightly off white. Body is extremely clear, golden yellow. Some lacing but doesn't stick around long.

S - sweet scent. Some wheat aromas, but overall pretty nice.

T - Again it is very sweet (relatively to other lagers). Good malt flavors. Everything is very light in flavor, but not offputting in anyway. As I continue to drinking, it becomes more and more mundane. The hops start to come out more and it tastes is a pretty typical pilsener.

M - Decent. Ok carbonation and slightly below average body. No complaints, but nothing sticks out.

O - Pretty typical, but always fun to try new brews. Thanks to richoch3t for bringing this back from Canada for me. (691 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +16.6%

I will do my absolute best to review this subjectively...however I have a soft spot for this beer, deep rooted in my soul. It is hands down my favourite macro git r done beer.

A: clear straw yellow, white 1/2" head disipates quickly, no lacing.
S: sweet bready light malt and sour hop extract.
T: taste is light and refreshing. It's not what this beer has but what it hasn't that makes it so great. Most macro lagers have that adjunct funk to them. This does not. Theres nothing remarkable to say about this beer. It is pretty simple, but its clear, clean and crisp.
M: lightly carbonated. Goes down smooth. Designed to be swilled quickly. When it warms it gets a bit boozy...
O: in my opinion THE best party get drunk beer. I never drink this and tell myself "oh this is really good, I like this and that about it" But everytime I drink it I like it enough to think "I could drink 15 of these" (898 characters)

3.21/5  rDev +13.4%

A: 1" white head that receded over 3 minutes and left a slight lacing over straw coloured liquid with excellent clarity.

S: Musty, yeast and citrus hops.

T: Citrus hops upfront, bitter in the middle and a slight malt finish.

M: Thin viscosity and a low level of medium carbonation.

O: Better than average macro-brew that is surprisingly more drinkable than I remembered... (376 characters)

3.13/5  rDev +10.6%

355 ml can poured into a 16oz pilsner glass.

A - Couldn't have poured it any softer, and still ended up with a giant three finger head, slightly off-white in color. The beer is a rich golden-yellow hue, and with the head on-top, it doesn't look too bad (although the head was rather short-lived)..

S - Light, but distinct grassy hops and sweet grains. Not a lot going on, but not half bad.

T - Starts out with bitter hoppiness and adjunct grains, and finishes rather watery with some bready malt. Piney hops in the aftertaste. After the initial hit of hops and bitterness in the first taste, the beer settles down a lot and the hops and grainy malt feel well balanced. It is a bit watery, however.

M - The carbonation feels full and bubbly, and it has a medium-bodied mouthfeel. Feels clean and refreshing without tasting boring.

D - Not nearly as bad as I remember. It has a certain bite in the taste that most macro-brewed beers like this sorely lack. (958 characters)

2.96/5  rDev +4.6%

This beer has a cult following in the Canadian Prairies, and especially Saskatchewan. It's never been my generic beer-of-choice.

It has a medium straw colour typical of many lagers, but certainly not so pale as to be unappealing. There was a nice foamy head, but now it has settled down to almost nothing.

The aroma is almost non-existent. It can barely discern anything short of a vague "beer" smell.

The flavour is quite a lot better than the aroma (as seems to be the case with many macro lagers). There is some nice hoppy bite to start out that is accented a bit by the carbonation. It leads into some full bready malt flavours that linger. I quite like it. It has a bit more flavour than your average macro brew.

Overall, I'm rating this as a macro-lager, and not so much as a German Pilsner. It is pretty decent. I wouldn't mind drinking a few of these around a campfire! (882 characters)

3.34/5  rDev +18%

Was able to try this fine beer prior to departing Calgary International Airport. The beer was golden in color with decent carbonation. The scent was rather bland with grain tones. The taste was good....for me there was a bit of sweetness, which then was followed by grain/wheat taste. The beer came off the pallete quite nice and didnt linger. I thought this to be a very good beer. (382 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Pours a pale golden adjunct lager colour, with a half-finger head that dies down over the next few minutes, leaving behind some modest lacing. The smell is uninteresting - malts and corn - confirming my suspicion that this is just a regular macro labelled as a pilsener.

Taste is actually not that bad. There is a bit of a diluted bread malt sweetness at first, followed by a very mildly bitter finish. There is a bit of an adjunct flavor, but compared to other Molson products it is very subdued. Of course, all of the flavors are subdued; if I didn't know better I would think this was a light beer for that very reason. Very watery and thin, with heavy carbonation. I feel a little bloated after drinking half of this.

For an adjunct lager, Pilsner is quite drinkable due to the lack of any serious off flavours. However, if they are going to call it a pilsener they should at least have the decency to use hops. Taking this as a macro lager, the score above would likely be at least a full letter grade higher (C+). Pilsner is to pilsener as Alexander Keith's is to IPA - but regardless of style interpretation, they're both good campfire/hockey/mindless inebriation beers.

[Updated Oct. 23 2013]

I did a bit of a double-take when I saw this tallboy at my local Beer Store - Vitamin P available in Ontario? When did this happen? I haven't seen this stuff since I was out working in Alberta. It looks great in the glass, but other than that there's not much I can add to this review. Molson's Old Style Pilsner is a passable adjunct lager that might get a halfway decent grade if they'd just call it that, but it's a piss-poor pilsner with no detectable hop bill. Maybe I'm being anal retentive, but other than the low price this one really doesn't have much going for it - if I'm trying to get drunk then James Ready is more abv at the same price, and if I'm trying to enjoy a tasty lager then there are plenty of vastly superior German/Czech imports at surprisingly comparable prices.

Final Grade: 2.33, a D+. (2,020 characters)

3.33/5  rDev +17.7%

A: Pours a clear yellow with a finger and a half worth of bubbly head. Settles to a thin cap and left a lot of lacing at the top of the glass and progressively less the further down the glass it went.

S: For the most part I just get some wet grains. There isn’t much there for aroma.

T: More grains but it also has some grassyness as well. Nice light taste that doesn’t make me cringe like some macro beers.

M: Light fizzy carbonation with a light body.

O: I’ve always seen this beer and I think it’s almost a bit odd that I haven’t had it until now. But anyways I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. It was very easy to drink and there was nothing bad about it. I could easily see myself drinking this beer if I’m going to be drinking macro. (766 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -3.5%

'Old Style Pilsner' is an ironic name for a beer that looks so modern: deliberately antiseptic, filtered to within an ounce of its life, spot-on yellow with cartoonishly large bubbles and a head that, like most every hitter in baseball circa the late 1990s, is obviously benefiting from some sort of steroid in the form of an added stabilizing agent.

It is also an ironic name for a beer that probably contains at least a half-dozen additives that weren't yet invented half a century ago. The smell of it would suggest an ample use of corn syrup, or some kind of corn-derived fermentable. A malt extract at the least. Two of the style's most distinguishing features - hops and bitterness - are both notably absent.

Let's call a spade a spade here: this is less an "old style" pilsner than it is a contemporary, mass-produced adjunct lager like everything else in the Molson portfolio. But let us also be fair: it isn't quite as offensive as the majority of other beers in that portfolio and, relatively speaking, can get away with being considered a fairly neutral, acceptable beer.

Provided, of course, you're the type who prefers light-bodied, lightly-flavoured beers. I'll reaffirm that the lack of bad tastes is more important to me than the presence of good ones, but some flavour would have been nice. This presents a stale breadiness and a faint tinge of corn kernel and, less you consider water to have a flavour, not much else.

Old Style Pilsner was a beer that I didn't have much interest in trying and, despite having drunk it in an historic old-timey Wild-West saloon in the badlands of Alberta, is one that I certainly have no interest in trying again. Sure, it may be one of Molson's less offensive brands, but assessing that as a positive is like calling petty theft ok because it's "merely a misdemeanor" - a minor offense is still a crime nonetheless.

...And considering how much I was charged for this, I'd say petty theft is a fitting analogy! (1,972 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -23%

A- Light piss yellow, with a fairly decent head

S- Not a whole lot of scent but hints of grass are in there.

T- I can taste a little corn, with the dry grassy taste, slight hop bitterness.

M- Lots of carbonation

D- Cheap and a generic pilsner, so i can easily down 12 in 1 sitting. Good for a backyard BBQ with lots of people.

Serving type: Can (349 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last